1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Selling/trading a doll and regretting it later?

Dec 3, 2016

1. My mother told me if I'm not sure about selling something. Put it in a box for a time. If you forget about it or find you never look for it, it's time for it to go. 30+ years and its always workes for me. I may get an occasional twang of regret, but nothing heart breaking or lasting. Everything moved on to a place where it'll hopefully be enjoyed more.

2. You are all amazingly helpful, thank you!

@Mountains and Clouds Your insight of IG photos vs. bonding in reality is very valuable. I haven't realized this. "Enjoying certain dolls solely through other people’s photos is very much underrated" -- I love this statement, it's going to help me a lot in this hobby.

@Gunter von Christ "I never thought I was gonna let them go?" This really could be me! This doll is what I wanted first, and it's hard to let go. Thank you for sharing your experiene and your list of questions. I'm thinking about the answers.

@Safira Hmmmm I paid a big chunk of money and I plan lose some, but this isn't what bothering me the most with her. So as long as the transaction goes well, I probably can just get over it. Thanks!!

@CloakedSchemer "Others I might miss sometimes, but not enough to want to rebuy them" -- Good to hear, thank you! All the best in making your decisions. I find if I sell a doll right away it's easy, but if they've been with you for a while...

@elfy016 Good advice from your mother! I do think about this doll while she is in the box, but perhaps because I feel bad about the whole thing more than anything else... "Everything moved on to a place where it'll hopefully be enjoyed more" -- Yes! I want someone to love her more.

From everyone's advice I'm more inclined to sell her now. Also I feel that fashion dolls are improving, so I can always buy another in the future. Perhaps fashion dolls will even get a bit chubbier! :)

#42 D795, Jun 6, 2019
      Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    3. if you are having conflicting feelings about selling your doll, do not sell her or him. I sold my Planetdolls when I find out I had a heart problem and didn't know what was going to happen, I didn't want to sell them but wanted them to go to a go home. Know that I am recovering and feeling better boy do I regret selling my beautiful little girls. Put the doll in a box and wait and see if you still feel like selling the doll.

4. You could flip a coin and pick the result you are more relieved by.

5. If you in any way unsure don't sell, I tend to sell if im unsure about a doll and want another one. I have found as a buyer a few people I have bought off say after a couple of months that they would have the doll back if I ever wanted to sell as they miss them.

As your taken a while to decide maybe its not the time to sell but if you saw another one may be a little bit chubbier one sell to get funds for that one. I think most people who collect will sell one they love at times

6. Once I had to sell 2 heads of Domuya Saisha and Faith, I sold very cheaply because I urgently needed money.
      Very sad about that.
      Now I would find other opportunities not to sell them.
      Would love to buy them again...

7. @twomuchfat Oh I'm sorry you went through this! There is nothing worse in life than health issues. I would be too anxious to still care for my dolls. I'm very happy you recovered.

@iamkathybrown Haha, I didn't quite flip the coin but did it as a thought experiment.

@Sheltie "if you saw another one may be a little bit chubbier one sell to get funds for that one". I see that this artist is making dolls less bony this year. Still very skinny, but it makes me feel I should let go of the current one.

@Rivvil I'm sorry to hear that you miss the two heads. It must have been such a difficult time. :pout:

Thank you again everyone for helping me, I really appreciate your input!

In the end I decided to put her on the Marketplace. I hope someone will love her.

8. I have sold so many dolls, but looking back on it now, I don't think there's any I regret enough to go back in time and change it. Maybe one because I was so depressed at the time I didn't let myself paint her up as I wanted to, but I don't know if that would have saved the doll for me or not.

My favored dolls that I would have regretted selling never made it out the door, as I took them down before anyone bought them! I guess I was lucky there. I've just come to the conclusion that if they aren't something that makes me actively happy, even if that is just looking at them sometimes with a smile, they have to go.

9. There was only one doll I completely regretted selling and that was my Iplehouse Tatiana. The reason I sold her was for money, and because at the time I wanted to leave the hobby. A lot of the dolls I sold then were sculpts I have since bought again, or would like to buy again (turns out my taste has barely changed), but I wasn't upset about the others, just this one.

The reason I ended up regretting selling this one and none of the others was because her face up matched my Tania's, and the face up artist stopped taking commissions, so she became irreplaceable. It was kind of killing me that my Tania's "twin" (they're not actually twins, but they are definitely matching) was out there and belonged to someone else.

In the end, I was very, very lucky. I managed to buy her back.

So I guess if I ever sell a doll now I have to think about how much that particular doll means to me with that particular face up. And would I be happy with another person owning it? I can buy a sculpt again, but you never know when a favourite face up artist will stop taking commissions.

10. I can't relate. Never sold a doll and never will. I love all my dolls as much as the day I got them. I have never not bonded with a doll.

12. I have only regretted selling a doll once, and it was my very first. My takeaway from that experience is not to act on the decision to sell while you're under a lot of stress - there were a lot of environmental pressures both real and perceived that factored in way more than they should have.

That said, I've had plenty of pleasant experiences swapping dolls around. I have a few I consider my core dollies, who've been here the longest, and to whom I'm firmly attached. But it also makes me happy to see a doll to its next excited owner! It's just kind of a feel thing.

13. I've had and sold many a doll. I regret selling some of them, because now it's harder to get some of them again, got overall I'm good when i sell a doll. Sometimes the regret is just that i waited so long and i don't love it when it finally arrives but sometimes i just didn't put much thought into it at all at the time and should have taken my time.

14. I regret selling one doll. It was an Iplehouse MSD and she was beautiful.
      At the time I thought it was the right thing to do because I had very little time for her and wasn’t able to put in the time needed to get her how I wanted.
      I don’t have much more time now but I wish I kept her as there is noting wrong with taking a long time to complete a doll as the beauty of this hobby is that there are no rules or time limits – unfortunately I didn’t see that back then.
      I have learnt from this and find myself going to and from their website now… she is discontinued so there is no chance of getting her back, but I do wonder about getting another Iplehouse MSD and just taking my time.

15. I'm worried about selling my dolls because I might regret it or miss having them. I had one I was ready to sell but I put a new wig on her and modified the ears and fell in love with that sculpt all over again. I might try changing things on my other dolls and see if I can avoid selling them.

16. The only doll I ever did regret selling was my very first one - Ipple' Harin. At the time she was a bit too big for me to manage and I went for MSD instead but later on I began to miss her.