1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Sense of duty towards your doll(s)?

Jul 29, 2010

1. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?

I think of my dolls as objects that hold my interest, not as living beings. I think about them often, because I like them and I play with them when I have time. I do have my personal real life to live, after all.

Does having more than one doll affect your interaction time or "love" for the others?

No. Each one is special to me. If I feel ambiguous about one after I have it in my hands, I find a new home for it.

Do you believe you "must" buy your doll multiple clothes/wigs/eyes/accessories?

No. I buy accessories because it's part of the fun of having the dolls in the first place. I'm always on the lookout for wonderful things for them because it's part of the game.

Do you feel guilt when you can only interact with a single doll at one given time (for example, take only one of many dolls at a con, on a trip, etc.)?

No. I don't want to keep up with a bunch of dolls if I'm at a convention. I like to socialize with friends at conventions and shop in the sales room. To cons, I take one or two and maybe several tiny ones. I prefer to leave my dolls safely at home if I'm on a trip, but occasionally take a tiny one that will fit in my purse.

2. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?

No. I don't feel like I "owe" anything to my dolls. I prefer they are lying inside their boxes so that they are not getting dusty or exposed to UV light, but that has to do more with the fact I spent money on them and want to take care of them. There are probably days that go by when I don't even look at my dolls. They're not even my favorite inanimate object I own, that honor hands down goes to my laptop :P

Does having more than one doll affect your interaction time or "love" for the others?

I have favorite dolls and I make no apologies about it. They're dolls. All my dolls are based on anime characters I like and those that are anime characters I like more, I automatically like more because of who they represent.

No. But I enjoy having a nice selection of clothes for my dolls because I enjoy having nice things. Most of my dolls have 1 pair of default eyes they wear, though it can take me a long time to find the pair I like best, the same goes for wig. And I have been known to "upgrade" such things.

I tend to prefer more expensive brands of eyes, they photograph nicer and look more impressive in person.

Do you feel guilt when you can only interact with a single doll at one given time (for example, take only one of many dolls at a con, on a trip, etc.)?

Definitely not. Depending on the trip, I don't take any dolls at all. I have zilch desire to schlep a doll around with me unless there is an actual reason for it. On trips to Japan I tend to bring my 3 favorite Yos, mostly because I use them as table props for events. ^_^;;;

3. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      Yes and no. I spent a lot of time and effort in getting them, I should spend some time and effort enjoying them.
      But, no, not daily. They do, however, find their way INTO my time and thoughts... probably daily. But that's just them pestering me, not me feeling the need to think about them. :XD:

It affects my Time, but not my love. Each one gets a little different type of love, and while some favorites may change a little in the "lineup" as dolls come and go, spending more or less time with them doesn't usually affect my feelings for them.
      That also seems true for ones that I'm just not getting along with. I try to spend more time with them in an effort to like them as much as I thought I would, but inevitably, it doesn't work for me.

No more than in the sense of seeing something for sale and thinking "OOO! That would be perfect for x!"

Yes! Thay all have those eyes that say "take me with youuuuu!" So, I often end up toting several with me wherever I go. :sweat
      I'm weak won'td. I suspect that's why I have so many.

4. I'm a complete idiot about my dolls. I confess to walking around in jeans and old sweaters while my dolls wear designer ensembles. I'd feel guilty about loving one more than another but I sell on any that don't sucker punch me in the heart to the fullest extent of the law. They make me so insanely happy that they do take up time and thoughts, but they are happy with sharing me. I feel guilt only when I have a doll around who doesn't thrill me.

And when the credit card bill comes in.

5. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?

Absolutely not. I love the fact that if I'm not in a doll mood I can just leave them sitting on their shelf or in their boxes for days or weeks without touching them, but when I AM in the mood they're there for me to appreciate. And when I am enjoying them it can be anything from glancing over at them and smiling to changing their outfits to taking photos. There's no minimum amount of time or attention I need to give them.

Not... love. But I do feel overwhelmed if I have too many, and I do like to be able to pay attention to the individual dolls instead of just having a big group collection. To me, large collections are better for smaller/cheaper items and small collections are better for larger/more expensive items.

Not for their sake, but I do get bored of only having the same few outfits for my dolls and I do like being able to put them in something new for meetups.

Not at all. I wouldn't want to bring all of my dolls to a convention and I've never taken a doll on a trip (though I'm thinking of buying a Lati White and a doll that small I might take on a trip since it's so portable). Sometimes I'm just in the mood for a particular doll anyway.

In general, if I feel bad about not buying clothes or not havign a faceup for a doll it's not because I think that doll has feelings. It's because I want it to be looking nice, wearing clothes that fit my mental image of the doll, and feel like it's worth the time and money I've put into them. If I feel bad it's because I'm letting myself down by being lazy and not maintaining my expensive dolls.

6. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      I do kind of feel that. I try to at least think about them every day for a few times. Lately I haven't really been in the mood to
      'play' with them or take pictures, because a lot of stuff in my life happened. I do feel sort of sorry for that toward my dolls,
      I really don't want them to just sit there and gather dust! So I try to think of themes for photoshoots and look for outfits on
      the internet. I'd like to buy them something, but I promised myself I'd save up for my first BJD's body first before I'd buy
      anything else for any of my dolls. And I just hope I'll be in the mood for taking pictures and all pretty soon, because I do
      love my dollies.

To me, no. Sure, I'm looking at my BJD head more than I look at my Taeyang and Dal, but he just arrived this week. Next
      week that'll be over for the most part and they'll get an equal amount of time and love. Also, the reason I look at him so
      much is because he's my first BJD. They are completely different from the Jun Planning dolls I own, so the material and
      feel and everything just really fascinates me. Lol.

I don't feel that way. I like to buy my dolls more than just one set of clothes and only one accessoire, but as for wigs and
      eyes I don't feel that way. I give my doll a certain set of eyes and a certain wig because those fit to his or her character.

Do you feel guilt when you can only interact with a single doll at one given time (for example, take only one
      of many dolls at a con, on a trip, etc.)?

I do feel a bit guilty, but then again it's easier to take just one doll with me in stead of two! My dollies aren't BJD's, and their
      bodies aren't as sturdy ad BJD bodies by far, so I'm also kind of scared they might break or damage ^^;

7. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?

No. But, I don't treat them like everyday objects either. A bed, for example, is a piece of property I use for sleeping. Very simple. Direct. My cats? I owe them my time and energy everyday. They are living things. My dolls? They are somewhere between the two. I don't think of them solely as "property" because if my dolls were like a furniture why have them? There would be no point. So, I do feel I owe it to myself to make time for my dolls.

Not really. But, I do "evolve" as I grow and my dolls reflect that. I do sell and refine previous collections as I gradually get into a new type of doll. But, I'm a "collector" moreso than a storyteller or anime lover or customizer/artist. So, I do still spend time with "old dolls" but that's more reflective of my desires. I collect dolls for me and it's a very me-focused world.

Yes. But, only because I prefer buying wigs, clothes, shoes and socks moreso than the dolls themselves. I love restyling, redressing and changing the dolls I have A LOT. For me, that is where I love the hobby because it's very different than what I did before which was buy, photograph, buy, photograph, buy, photograph... :lol:

Sometimes, but not because of the dolls. Rather, I feel bad I can't share my dolls with others who may want to see them. Seeing a doll in a picture is one thing, but to see it in real life is a very different experience, I think.

8. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?

No. I feel bad if I haven't played with them in a week or more. But I don't feel that I NEED to think about them everyday, I just kind of do. But NEEDING to play with them or think about them everyday would interfere with my daily life, like work or school. I need non-doll time, too.

Sort of. I got Gael in January and to be honest I haven't played with her or made her all the clothes I thought would be a big deal when I got her. I still play the most with my first doll, Sanyu. She's more photogenic and easier to make cool clothes for. So while I should be giving my doll new attention and new clothes, I keep playing with Sanyu instead. I love Gael, don't get me wrong. And she's an important character who will have certain outfits and certain photo shoots and stuff by herself... but she's just not as photogenic is all.

No on the wigs and eyes. They have one look, period. Yes on the clothes and accessories. My characters need certain things for their character and for their stories. I have a full list of outfits I need to make before I do certain shoots that I fell like I HAVE to make. Otherwise why have a doll of that character?

No. I would if it were to a doll meet, but that never happens because I have a great doll suitcase to carry them both in. Sometimes I feel bad for always taking Sanyu and almost never Gael. Soon I'll be taking Zip (puki) with me more than then both, though. So I suppose it's okay.

9. Well I'm still quite a new BJD owner, I've only had mine for a few months so I do spend a lot of time playing with him most days. But on the other side of that, I'm just an unemployed secondary school student on holiday so I don't have much to do anyway. If I had a job (or when I go back to school) he would defenitly take a much lower priority, but for the time being he defenitly does get a lot of 'love'. But I don't feel that I must spend time or money on him.
      I'd like to be able to buy him different outfits and wigs to be able to mess around with, but I don't feel compelled to do that either. I'd like to, he only has the one set of things at the moment. Change is nice. ^^
      Can't really answer the last question though, I only have one. =P (For now... :aninja: )

But also I do feel a little bit of a sense of 'duty' towards my doll because he's an Angelheim mini and there's not very much information about them, so I do like to be able to help people who are interested and tell them different things / give them different pictures of my Luka. But in terms of feeling the need that I must play with him, no. He's a doll. ^^

10. I don't think that I "owe" my dolls anything, nor do I think anyone else "owes" their dolls. I don't like the concept of "bad doll owner," honestly. Dolls are not pets, so the "proper usage" of a doll is very subjective--something that's been brought up in numerous debate threads. If someone wants to buy dolls one after the other, keep them naked or wearing socks and share a pair of eyes and a single wig between twenty dolls, I'm not up to using the energy to judge them. If someone else wants one doll with three million wigs and only a pair of shoes, that's their choice. I don't think my doll or any doll is "owed" wigs, eyes, faceups, clothing options, modifications, etc.

However, I try to purchase things for my dolls. I like have wigs, eyes, and clothing to dress them in. I like taking the time to take pictures; I like having the dolls out for me to look at when I'm home and tucked away in boxes when I'm not. I feel that if I've purchased something, I want to use it to the fullest of my enjoyment. I enjoy dressing up my dolls, and seeing them with eyes, a wig, and a faceup. Thus, I make an effort to have these things for my dolls.

I don't feel guilt about "loving" one doll more than another, or splitting time between them equally. I have enough things going on in my life; I don't need emotional baggage from my possessions! XD I don't want to ignore or cease to use a doll, because then it feels like I've wasted my money and effort, but I'm not going to work myself into a tizzy over it. I want dolls to be fun, not a chore.

11. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?

I feel I owe it to myself to make sure I do something with my doll. What's the point of spending so much money on something if you aren't going to use it? However, I do go months without playing with them, and them I go month constantly playing with them. Although, I only done it once; I have no problem cycling the dolls I don't play with out.

Bah! No, but then at the moment I only have 2. I did have 3 and noticed that I barely played with the Tiny doll. Whilst there were many factors very little had to do with another doll. It was more like that doll, itself, didn't appeal to me. Realize I barely played with him, I cycled him out. If I ever want to make the character again, I always can though :P

Oooo well for the princess maybe. Kidding. But in all honestly I love to dress her up. On the other hand, my male doll is not really high maintenance, and I throw on a shirt and tee shirt and be prefectly content. I think that's the nature of having male and female dolls right? You want to dress the girls up in fancy dresses, but boys look good as simply as possible ;)

Ehh again only for the value to myself. I'm very practical person, and I don't like the idea of having something I'm not using. I don't have room in my living arrangements, and I'd rather have something that I would play with more than less. Again, though it has nothing to do with "the doll". The doll is a doll, not a human. However, I am a human, so if it comes between me and my own needs? Well, I think you can get my drift.

12. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?

Honestly, yes. This is mainly because Elrik, my first doll, is my muse and the only present I asked for on my 16th birthday. He's really quite important to me and part of me would love to go into the doll business, so... to me it's a whole new world of art to explore. :3

Ffft, nah. I'm such a sap when it comes to the two I do have - they also have each other, so it's not like they're gonna get jealous. ;33

For me, this is like looking at a gallery of art pieces that are all the same. Why would you want to, y'know? Besides, wouldn't it be more realistic if they changed clothes every once and a while, maybe even a hairstyle?

No, not really. I mean, if I spend equal time with the dolls then why feel guilty? They each deserve time alone with me so it's not too big a deal. :3

13. These statements are both quite beautifully put.

Adding in a very small way to that, I think there's a lot of 'it would be nice if I could <get the perfect faceup|every outfit I can dream up|shoes that fit perfectly|everything to proper scale|have all the time I wanted to play>', but those things are ideals to hope for, and they vary from person to person. It's when 'wouldn't it be nice if... ' becomes 'THIS IS REQUIRED BECAUSE <insert totally individual reasoning that doesn't work universally at all>' that, yeah, it becomes a chore. Even 'should' is not 'must', and there are not even many real 'shoulds' that apply universally beyond the most basic things like 'you should keep your doll out of sunlight if you want to avoid yellowing'. That? Reasonable, sensible, action and consequence laid out succinctly with choice still in the mix. So often, it morphs into something like, "You must never let so much as a ray of sunlight skim across the toes of your doll, ever, or you are a terrible person who does not care about the precious artwork created by the doll company and in doing so you have stolen the chance at ownership of that poor abused dolly from someone who would have treated it better," instead, and then my head starts spinning. *_*

And that's a cause and effect thing, not even a matter of personal taste or preference. 'You should never dress your boy in a skirt!' would be probably be laughed off the board rapidly, but people make similarly weird demands often enough.

It is just not what any of this is about for me. My dolls are for me to have fun with, not to satisfy some other's person's arrogant and improperly overreaching dictates. It also becomes very tiresome to have to repeat, 'not everyone wants dolls for the same reason, does the same thing with them, etc.' to the people who keep making up all the new rules and obligations that make precious little sense to anyone but the person who cooked them up and now thinks they should apply to everybody else.

14. Dolls aren't people, they aren't alive and they don't have feelings. They wont care if I have clear favorites (which I do). Do I ever feel guilty about not paying attention to them or doing anything with them? No. It does bother me when my dolls look bad or have cheap crappy clothing or what have you, I want my dolls to look good. I would be bothered in the same way if my diamond earrings needed to be cleaned really bad or if my convertible was covered with mud. It's an expensive possession and I feel like I'm wasting its potential if I let it be crappy. However if I get lazy and leave a doll unstrung or without a faceup for weeks then oh well. They wont care.

15. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      Not "owe", no. But I do feel a little bad when I don't pay attention to a particular doll, especially if it's oneof my older ones. But it's not that I've lost interest in them, it's just that I'm usually working on one of the other.

My interaction time, yes. I try not to have more than one "work-in-progress" doll. But, personally, I have two type of dolls: my older one who have their own personalities that developed over time after I got them, and my OC dolls, one of which is a character that I have known for about 10 years. I probably love my OCs better, even though the dolls themselves are newer, but they mean more to me.

No. My dolls do not change their eyes or wigs. I'll make them new clothes when I feel inspired to do so. But not obliated... if I did Merrown would have his own pair of pants by now instead of wearing Kir's which are way too big for him.

Yes! I want to take them all with me for cons/meets! Rylin is my traveling doll; that's why I bought him and what got me into the hobby. But I always worry that once I get somewhere I'll find a perfect photo spot for a doll I didn't bring with me. Or I'll wish I had another one with me to try something one.

16. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      ~I don't feel I owe them daily time or thoughts, but I do start to feel a bit guilty if I don't pay any attention to a doll for a long period of time. Some of my dolls gets played with/handled/taken out significantly more than others, but i try not to let any get neglected for more than a month at a time.

~Having more than one doll doesn't affect my love for the others (I love them all very much, though in different ways and for different reasons), but it does affect my interaction time. There's only so many dolls I can have by my laptop at one time and at the max I can pretty much sew only one thing for one doll a day. I do try to make sure everybody gets something new from me eventually.

~ I don't feel like I "must" buy my dolls anything, but I do feel pressure to find the right wig for them. Not pressure from the dolls of course, but pressure for myself because I want them to look right. Once I find the right eye/wig combo for a doll that's pretty much it for me, I don't buy them alternates.

~ Sometimes I feel a little bad for the dolls that are more often left behind, but I do try to keep a sense of perspective and remember that the dolls themselves (if they had feelings) would rather I be happy and comfortable on my outings rather than worrying about the ones left at home.

17. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?

Not really.. My dolls sit on my desk when I'm doing stuff on my computer, and sometimes, when the weather is good enough, I will take my girl outside for photoshoots.

I don't think so.. Right now I have one doll and one head, so of course the complete doll gets more time than the other, but that doesn't mean I 'love' Zack any less.

Clothes, accessories, yes, wigs and eyes, not so much. I do make sure each doll has a set pair of eyes and a good wig before moving on to the next one. Except when I order eyes for my incoming boy and Zack ends up wearing them. But I never leave my dolls wig and eyeless. At least not when I have the money, and when I have a doll that is wig or eyeless I will make it a priority to buy those things.

Not at all. I'm going to a con at the end of the month, and I will be taking Lili, Zack, and my incoming head Karrigan with me, which means I'll have a full doll and two heads with me. However, in January I will be going to England for five months, and I will only be able to take my just ordered Puki with me because an SD sized doll just can't come with me at that point. But feeling guilty about that? No, because Lili, Zack and Kari know I love them, and will spoil them when I get back.

18. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      No, not really. They are there for my convinience.

Time wise, it did when I just had two. I went from spending all my time on one to spending some with one or the other, when I started expanding my collection it just got used to it. It's different when you have one doll, you can give it all your time, when you have a group you ahve to go between them all. Like having kids I guess.

I personally feel my dolls have to have an array of clothing and wigs otherwise what's the piint of getting one? They are meant to be customised and played with.

Like I answered previously, only when I had two. It was hard to leave one behind and be with the other. That does change however once you have a group. That guilty feeling goes away and you can go back to apprieciating one on one time.

19. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      Actually, a little. I used to feel really bad when I hadn't done anything with Quinn for a while. I mellowed out around the time I got Jasper though, so now they can lay around in their boxes for a few days or until I need them and I don't feel bad.

Sometimes I'll take one out for a shoot and not the other but I love them both equally, so 'interaction time' maybe, to a point. Although usually I even it out. 'Love', no.

I don't believe I 'must' otherwise I'm a bad owner, but I like to just so that they're not wearing the exact same outfit in every shoot. However, Jasper has more clothing items than Quinn does 'cause he's hard to shop for. xD Also, they only have one wig and pair of eyes each. I don't think this makes me a bad owner or anything.

Nope, not at all. I recently took Jasper on holiday with me while Quinn stayed at home and didn't feel bad about leaving him behind. I think that may have been because his character wouldn't have wanted to come so it'll be interesting to see if I feel bad about leaving Jasper behind and taking someone else. xD I don't think I'll feel guilty though.

20. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?

No, but some how they always work their way in, mostly because this is my only hobby, its all I really have time for, and the money is sparse but I squeeze it out. So even if I'm not thinking about it consciously, if someone asks me "What're you doing on your four days off" I usually spout out something doll related.

Yeah, it does. I find myself playing with the 'new' guy more than the older ones, but eventually it wends back around to them being a group and I go back to spending time with all of them again. I usually keep one sitting near where I spend most of my time (laptop) so that I at least have them where I can see them.

Oh lord no! They all have one character-specific wig and pair of eyes, and one really good outfit, and then they are done. Any 'extra' clothes, eyes and wigs are just because they're there or they came with something. I'm finding myself with a lot of extra eyes at the moment because they came with them, but no one is wearing them because they aren't 'their' eyes. Most of 'their' eyes are custom.

Nope. I only have two arms and four MSDs, they don't all fit. I don't have any bags to carry them in, until I make one, so if I can't carry you, you don't go. I usually just take one with me, and I try to have a sort of rotation system so that everyone gets some outside time. They're great for making conversation with strangers. XD