1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Sense of duty towards your doll(s)?

Jul 29, 2010

1. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      No, although I sometimes feel that I do owe myself time for my hobbies, especially when I've been doing other things. I've been reading a lot this summer (and taking classes) so I haven't had much time this summer for BJDs; in a way I do feel as though I owe myself some time to spend with my dolls since I have invested so much money into them, and especially because my boyfriend lent me money for classes so that I didn't have to sell my Volks girl if that makes any sense.

Does having more than one doll affect your interaction time or "love" for the others?
      Not really; if I have time for dolls, I have time for all of them. Sometimes just having them out on the couch with me is good enough.

Do you believe you "must" buy your doll multiple clothes/wigs/eyes/accessories?
      Yes, only because I enjoy them more that way.

Do you feel guilt when you can only interact with a single doll at one given time (for example, take only one of many dolls at a con, on a trip, etc.)?
      Sometimes I feel bummed because I can't bring all of them with me, but once I have as many in my arms as I can carry comfortably, I don't really care. The only time I really felt bummed is when I forgot one doll when I was on a plane; this doll's character loves airplanes and I wanted to take some pictures! Oh well, next time.

2. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      Heck no! They're lumps of resin... >.<; I mean, I love my dolls, but I go weeks without so much as glancing at them sometimes. I only spare living things that kind of time...
      Does having more than one doll affect your interaction time or "love" for the others?
      Not exactly. I don't like the thought of having too many sitting bald and un-played with, but I could probably comfortably have all of the ones I want without too much trouble, so long as I space them out.
      Nope. I buy what I need/want at the time- if I had unlimited funds, I still wouldn't feel burdened by my toys... I've got an Unoa boy that I've been having trouble bonding with that's sitting nekkid and bald on my bedside table right now... no biggie- he really doesn't mind it. ^_^
      Do you feel guilt when you can only interact with a single doll at one given time (for example, take only one of many dolls at a con, on a trip, etc.)?
      Nope- never actually. I wish sometimes that it would be convenient to play with them all at once, just because I can't always decide which to play with, but I don't feel bad- again, they're my dolls, I own them...

3. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?

Not so much owe, but it would be a shame after all the money and waiting to not enjoy them. It's not a daily necessity for me to enjoy them to make me feel that keeping them is worth it, just the fact that they still make me smile when I think of them. I think if I went for months without being interested in my dolls, I'd sell them.

No, but I sure would like to buy everything that catches my eye! :lol: I don't feel a duty to buy lots of things for them, I desire things that are nice and in a sufficient number to complete the dolls I have - not because I feel like I should, but because I want to.

Nope! Every now and then I'll 're-discover' a doll I've been ignoring and fall in love all over again, but I never feel any guilt. If I didn't derive any enjoyment from them even when playing with them, then I might feel guilt but it would be more from a monetary standpoint than emotional - ie 'what am I doing with this frivolous thing I don't even like when I can use the money for other things?'

4. When I buy a doll you can bet i love the doll and she has to be dressed to suit me. I love to buy clothes and accessories as much as the dolls. I have dolls that I have had for years and have sold dolls that I love because of their size. My bluettes and other antique dolls I will never sell because they are treasures that cannot be replaced. I love the MSD sized dolls and that is mainly what my desires are now. Its the face that gets me first and then I worry about the wig and clothes. I have to like the faceup. The resin dolls are very addictive.

5. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      I kind of do. They're important to me and I'm just getting used to having them in my life. They were expensive, and a gift from my girlfriend, and I want to care and love for them. To me, they kind of feel like having part time children, I can put them down and walk away whenever I want.

No, I only have two and I manage time with them equally. I was all about my first until I got my second, then he was all the rage until I finished his faceup and bought him a wig. Now they are equal. I don't plan on getting any other dolls for several years, so I know the two of them will get equal attention over time.

Wigs and eyes, no. They're characters for me. Once their personality came into them, they became set with their hair color and eyes. One of my boys has an awful Volks wig that I'll end up replacing, but I will definitely sell the Volks mess that is currently on his head. He only needs one wig. My poor boys are in need of clothes, though. They have a few accessories, a coffee mug, a bear, and a cigarette, and I own three pairs of shoes and two hats for them to share, but with one boy in a borrowed nightgown and the other in just a polo and briefs, I do feel a sense of duty to complete them. Hopefully I don't stop there.

I've thought about bringing only one to college, but have decided that I will probably bring both. I like them a lot, they're mostly coming with me for meetups, so it's unfair to only bring one of my boys. I do feel some guilt when I carry one to the kitchen and not the other. I like both of them a lot, but they are 60cm, so it can be a lot of handle if I'm not really doing anything with them and just having them sit around while I pull together lunch or something. I kind of feel like they're people, but I've always been the kind of person who loves her toys and gives them intricate personalities, and now I'm a writer, so that trait goes well with the writing hobby.

6. I've recently just bought a new girl, and I feel TERRIBLE! Although I am absolutely IN LOVE with Arista (who I have been dreaming of since I had first considering actually buying a bjd), I've felt like I've let my cute little Atelier down D: I had always paid complete attention to Atelier since I got her, dressing her up, taking pictures of her cute poses and absolutely adoring her. But since I got Arista, my attention has completely shifted to exploring her posing possiblilites and making clothes to cover her new-doll nudity (since I didn't buy anything for her in advance >w<). In a way I regret buying Arista because I have a 'sense of duty' to stay loyal to Atelier, my first bjd. heh:sweat I know this sounds silly... but, I guess, in short, my answer would be "yes, I do feel a sense of duty" (in many other ways as well! Such as getting them lots of clothes/eyes/wigs to keep them happy, stylish and well-played with >w<)

7. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      I guess. I mean, I bought them for specific reasons, so when I don't get around to doing the things I want with them, I feel a little bad. But that's usually only if it's been a few days that I haven't really done anything with them.
      Nope. I have two dolls and a head now, with a third full boy on the way, and I still love my first doll to bits. I do sometimes play with one more than the other, but I find it tends to balance out on its own. I think, to an extent, I do "love" my first doll more than the other two, but I still adore all of them and "love" them a lot.
      I don't really do the "multiple wigs" thing, or eyes...I figure I have it in mind what I want them to look like, so I get the things they need and that's it. Now, the clothes things I tend to get carried away with. I do love making them clothes, and I really like having things for them to mix-and-match with. I also feel a little bad when I don't get around to sewing things for them during the week, because I'm always getting better and able to make nicer things for them, but then if I don't get around to it, they don't have it. And I want them to have nice things, I just don't have the monies for it, so I have to try and make nice things :/
      Not really. I may feel a little bad, but it passes quickly. Way I figure it: I only took the one doll for a reason, and that reason is usually because I know that having more dolls could potentially put one or more of them in danger (too many to handle could lead to falls, thefts, vandalisms, etc in public), so I regret nothing if they're all intact at the end of the day.

8. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      I think so, yes. For as much as I spend on these dolls, Im definitely going to do things with them. I've never believed in buying something just to let it sit there.
      No, at least, I don't think so. I only have two dolls currently, so when I'm in the house they're always with me. Watching movies, sewing, playing videogames, even when I'm in the kitchen(I found a perfect SD sized dining table that I sit them at XD).
      I usually only buy one wig and one pair of eyes for each doll. There's only one doll that has two wigs and two pairs of eyes, but thats because his character has two different personalities(mentally and physically). I do, however, have lots and lots of clothes for my dolls. I love dressing them, and the same outfit gets boring after a while.
      I try to have a little schedule for taking them out. I'll take out one doll on mondays, the other on tuesdays, so on so forth. When I'm out with my friends though, they usually insist on taking all of my boys with us. We'll all have two in each arm, unless it's inconvenient for the occassion(It doesn't bother me much though. They both know how to handle my boys, and they're looking to get some of their own. They spoil them more than I do, too.). X3

9. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?

Not at all. They represent characters in stories I'm writing, so they are alive to me in some ways, but they are essentially objects. Most of the time I don't even play with my dolls on a weekly basis, much less everyday. I might think of them in terms of characters on a daily basis, but that's about it.

No. Even though I may have a favorite doll, I still love all of them. If I play with some of them more than others, it doesn't mean I don't love them all and I don't think I need to devote the same amount of time to each one either.

No. Right now, each of my dolls has one wig and one pair of eyes because they are characters. I don't plan on owning a bunch of extra eyes and wigs because I have very few characters who require different colors or styles of hair, etc. Now, I would LOVE to be able to buy a lot more clothing and accessories for them, but it's not a driving need for me.

No. Sometimes I really want to be able to take all of them, but it's just not possible. I might spend a lot of time trying to decide who to take, but I don't feel guilty about leaving some behind. They won't be sad; they won't even know they've been "left behind."

10. I feel that I ow my doll the same things as would most people would need. But I've always been the sort of artistic type who will be more than glad to build a bed out of cardboard and whatnot. Even when I was younger, I was making hats and mailboxes out of the toilet paper rolls. My point being, is that I think my dollie should have clothes and a decent face up, but I wouldn't go to overboard with anything when it comes to such situations. If he needs clothes, I'm still getting used to sewing, but I'll make him clothes. Needs a bed? Okay. How about a couch? Bring it. Its little things like this I don't mind doing. But buying over priced clothes that I'd be scared to take out of the house? Things like that, I do mind.

11. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?

Definately. I feel as though my characters are my children, without being children. Then again, they were first and foremost my characters, and I'm still trying to work out their storyline, so I guess its not all that hard, since the fact that their storyline isn't worked out bugs me =\

I think having them interact is a bid odd, since I don't have my lineup completed yet, and interacting with them is still a little new. I also can't help having mini obsessions over them as new things come for them or they get closer to being perfect.

Not exactly multiple, so much as finding the perfect clothes/wigs/eyes etc, so that they match my ideal vision of them. As it happens, trying to do this means settling for things or using things until the best can be obtained. For example, using a wig similiar to what I want until the custom one is made. So I end up with extra once the things come in :)

So far I haven't had to decide between them when going out, since I've taken them all with me, but I would probably feel guilty if I could only bring one over the others. I would probably try and make it up to the ones left behind with some kind of attention later XD

12. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      Not really, but if it's been a few days without playing around with my doll at all I feel abit guilty. I think that's more related to spending so much and wanting to make sure I really make full use of them and adore them to make the cost worth it to keep them.
      I'm going to be a horrible mother, I totally pick favourites.

I only want one set of eyes and one wig (it gets replaced when it starts getting into bad shape because it annoys me). The only reason I want more than one thing of clothing for them is because I LOVE clothes and I love to change their outfits to suit my mood/tastes at the time.

Maybe very minorly but not really. I usually joke about the sucker back home. My friend always feels sorry for my dolls and I find it kind of hilarious. :) I can understand why people feel like that though, I'm just usually too in love with ONE of my dolls to care about the rest or put any guilt on myself. /jerk

13. Do you believe you "must" buy your doll multiple clothes/wigs/eyes/accessories?

Must is a pretty strong word, however, I do LOVE shopping for doll accoutrements. I don't think I feel like I'm obligated in any way to buy things for my doll. However, owning just one doll, she does get a lot of things all to herself. As of right now, she has five sets of eyes in various colors and mm, she has three wigs, two heads, and about fifteen articles of clothing, not counting negligee (she has more of this because I like to make it myself.).

So far as obligation DOES go, I'll say this: I don't think it is right to buy a doll without buying it an outfit as well. For me, it makes me uncomfortable. Even though a good set of clothes adds at least $100 to the price of the doll when I buy it, it would not seem right to me to forgo it. Ditto for a set of eyes and a wig, although, a face-up is optional.

14. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      No I don't. As much as I love the dolls, at the end of the day they're just inanimate objects and hardly need my attention. That being said, they do get a lot of my attention. I'll either be thinking of their characters or stuff I need to pick up for the dolls XD

My time maybe, but its not like its a competition.

Not "must" in any way but I do like have extra clothes for the dolls. They tend to just have the one wig and set of eyes each though since their looks are pretty set in stone for me.

I've never felt guilt, I may miss having the others around slightly but thats it.

15. I would feel bad if I my dolls looked messy or disheveled. As long as they looked well put together and were dust free I think they would be happy. I don't feel as if I have to buy something for each one, though I want to!

16. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?

Not really, i do feel bad if i can't get them out for great lengths of time. But i'd say with all of their custom clothes, wigs, furniture, box rooms and every other thing god knows they have we're pretty square. if sometimes they are left in their posh lil' rooms to entertain themselves, so be it. :P

Interaction time yes, love no. When i get a new doll, my thoughts for a few weeks there after are mostly "it lacks this! or needs that, or crap this poor lil thing has nothing!" i miss interacting with my other dolls when i'm caught up in projects for another. But i really don't see the point of buying a new doll and leaving it with nothing but bare minimum.

Like i have noticed that i don't pay as much attention to Linadoll since Pacea has arrived. But Linadoll has many box rooms and custom clothing already (seriously there are few dolls more spoiled than her!), where as Pacea just doesn't have enough to me, i think her room is too small and her wardrobe is pitiful, i'm slowly fixing the wardrobe though.

I predict that once i feel my new dolly is set with her own things, everything will even out into an even share of attention between the dollies again.

No, to be honest most of the premade clothing/wigs/ what have you doesn't appeal to me. the only thing i haven't attempted to make is custom eyes (mostly because i have a hundred and one projects i need to finish already), everything else my dollies need i can make for them on my own. (Though admittedly i still do have alot of pre-assembled mini items for my dolls)

Nope. If i take a doll with me anywhere outside the house, it's because i feel -that- doll has been neglected and as such it gets a special outing to take photos or to buy new things for it and the others.
      I can also admit that the dolls i've kept (mostly ones gifted to me by others) as companions for dolls i thought seemed lonely i almost never pay attention to, unless i'm doing a photo shoot with them and their companion. I don't really feel guilty at all about that.

17. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      Of course not. They don't expect anything from me so I don't 'owe' it to anyone to pay attention to them. Though they do most of the time have a daily thought or two.

Yes, absolutely. I definitely love some of my dolls more than others depending on the amount of time I've had them and how much I 'play' with them.

They don't have to....but it's nice to be able to change them up a lot.

I always want to take all my dolls everywhere but it's just not feasable so yes, in part I feel guilty when I have to choose just one.

18. I think to all of your questions, my answer is no. I love my dolls enough to spend a lot of money to take them home. And they sure will bring me a lot of fun, and that's enough for me. I have them to keep me happy, not the other way arround.

19. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?

LOL. No. But maybe it's because I have living creatures to devote
      a lot of my time to. THEY actually need me :)

Not that I've noticed. I enjoy looking at my dolls, so having as many
      as I do has no effect when glancing over at them. My original plan
      with my dolls was to take tons of pictures, but I realized I don't enjoy
      photographing dolls, I prefer capturing life....so my poor dolls just sit
      around!!

Nope! In fact one of my favorite dolls only has 3 outfits of which she
      only wears one. I love it and she looks wonderful in it so she'll likely
      wear that for as long as I have her.

Not at all. They're DOLLS!!!!!! :lol: But once again...I have a lot of
      furry/feathered creatures who actually need attention. I suppose
      it's different if you only have dolls. Still....to feel guilty? :?

20. My dolls are there for me, not the other way round. They can't make me feel bad, and if they did I don't think I would be in this hobby. When I have time to spend with them, I do, and I spend it with my current favorite doll. If I don't have the time or money, they sit in their shelf looking pretty.