1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Sense of duty towards your doll(s)?

Jul 29, 2010

1. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      Yes, I do. I feel that I've given him the time and thought to create him a character and personality, thet I should spend time with him. I think of Eunhwa all the time, especially now that he's getting a body! Also, because of not having a body, he just sits in the box he came in so sometimes I'll talk to him to show him I still care ^^;

Does having more than one doll affect your interaction time or "love" for the others?
      I'm sure it will, but I really don't think I'll have too many to where I can't spend individual time with them. I personally don't understand how people have over 6-7 dolls. I know I wouldn't be able to because of money and the fact that I would feel that some would get left out or forgotten. At the most, I'd probably have 5 dolls, and that's even stretching it. All I want right now are three, including my one now.

Do you believe you "must" buy your doll multiple clothes/wigs/eyes/accessories?
      Not that I must. I'll buy what I want for him/them when I feel like it and I can. Sure, I want them to at least have a few outfits. Maybe a couple wigs, and a couple different eyes, but they don't need a wardrobe! Also, I'm planning on having dolls around the same size, so they can always share! ;D

Do you feel guilt when you can only interact with a single doll at one given time (for example, take only one of many dolls at a con, on a trip, etc.)?
      I feel guilty when I neglect Eunhwa for a couple days. I know it's because he's put away until he gets a body, but he still has a personality to me, so I feel I should at least talk to him so he's not lonely. And I'll probably feel guilty when I get more~ It kinda reminds me of Nintendogs, where you can track the individual time spent with each dog. I would always try to keep the times even so no one dog had more attention then the rest ^^; That's how I'll treat my dolls. And as for cons, I'll bring them if I can, and if they can't make it, then they go next time. It's like when I travel with my plushies. If one went with me last time, that one stays home and another goes with. ^^

2. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      NO. They're *dolls*. They're inanimate objects, not children or pets or friends, so I don't "owe" them anything any more than I owe my computer or a particular book. They do not care if I leave them in a bag for a week or ignore them for a month at a stretch. I play with them when I feel like it and just admire how pretty they look ditting on their shelf when I don't. If I don't happen to have time for them, I don't have time for them. THey won't starve to death or anything, so I don't feel bad about not thinking about/playing with them every single day.

Does having more than one doll affect your interaction time or "love" for the others?
      No. I do have a good number, but the only thing that affects my interaction time, if you want to call it that, is how interested I am in that particular doll. Some of them (like my Sprite or my WIlliam WInterberry) I just like having to look at and don't actually play with much; others, like my Xs or my School A I'm always playing with and taking to meets. It just depends on how I'm feeling really, and the number of dolls I have pretty much only affects how many and which ones I take to meets.

Uh. no. Dolls don't outgrow clothes and they pretty much all only need one or tweo outfits. Once I get them in an outfit I like, they usually stay in that outfit and have maybe one spare one for when I want to change things up. Almost all of my dolls have set eyes and wigs, so I really don't feel the need to buy more of those since I change eyes/wigs very rarely. (Unless, of course, I want to change someone's hair colour and buy a wig, I have a drawer full of eyes if I feel the need to change those up.)

Do you feel guilt when you can only interact with a single doll at one given time (for example, take only one of many dolls at a con, on a trip, etc.)?
      Not guilty, no, but maybe occasionally annoyed. I really like all of my dolls and I like sharing them, so sometimes I want to bring all of them but obviously can't. It can be hard to choose which ones to bring, not because of some sense of guilt but because I like all of my dolls and have a hard time picking just a couple of them to take with me. If I have to pick just one, it'll usually be either whoever is newest or whoever hasn't been taken out in the longest amount of time.

3. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      No, I don't feel like I "owe" them anything, that I have to think about them or spend time with them every time. Of course, I do think about them at times~ but that because I adore them and not because I have a sense of duty towards them. So I don't feel guilty if I didn't think of them as much as I'm "supposed" to.

I think it is inevitable that the more dolls I have, the lesser time I will have for each individual doll. However, I dote on them all the same, although how much time I spend on each doll depends on a variety of factors.

No. I buy more only when 1) I like the outfit/wig/etc 2) I can't find a style that suit the doll 3) a makeover is pending. For example, my Homme Ivan has only one wig but lots of outfits that were bought, but my tinies have many wigs (basically 'coz I couldn't find a wig that suit them ~_~) but only one main outfit. However, I do try to make clothes for them~ XD

Do you feel guilt when you can only interact with a single doll at one given time?
      So far I havent had felt guilt when I could only play with one of them at a time.

4. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      Well, I don't owe them my thoughts, they are already in my thoughts quite often (most of the time), because I adore them. And I enjoy so much sewing stuff for them and playing with them...

Not at all. the more the merrier!!!!!!!

No, it's a pleasure, and I don't want to ruin myself, it's done all in measure...

No, because I'll take care of the others another time.
      On trips, I won't take them because I already have my non-resin kids to take care of... ^_^

5. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      No, but interacting with them is part of my daily routine and I enjoy them. They are unboxed and in stands.

Actually, getting a new one makes me look at the others with new eyes for possibilities. I have 2 ABJD + 2 additional faceplates for one. Getting the second really re-kindled interaction with the first and also my smaller dolls.

Yes and no. The doll without faceplates, I want to style 2 ways which calls for 2 sets of clothes and 2 wigs. The faceplates,though, I like to get a new set of eyes, a wig and make outfit for each one!! I am behind!! But I want to see my dolls well turned out, it is important to me and a creative challenge. I am focusing on this now and (except for a special circumstance) will probably not buy or add dolls to my list until I have mine done up nicely. I would much rather have 2 dolls styled well than many on the shelf in socks :)

Do you feel guilt when you can only interact with a single doll at one given time (for example, take only one of many dolls at a con, on a trip, etc.)?*
      Not so far but I am making sure we have secure transport for them for future cons and such.

6. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      I don't feel I owe them my daily time or thoughts...because they get them anyway! I truly do love my dolls, so I don't feel any sense of obligation towards them (not saying that those who do don't love their dolls). They may be mere objects so there may not be a point in loving them so strongly but if I were to treat my hobbies so...existentially, let's say...I would not be in the hobby.

I love all of my dolls equally, but yes, my interaction with them depends on who's easiest to manage at the moment. My Volks Tony has a long nylon wig that is infuriatingly hard to handle! Or sometimes I spend my time with dolls that have something new (eyes, wig, clothes, faceup, etc) so I might neglect those I have not bought anything for..

It isn't a must, but it would be fantastic. I'd like for each of my dolls to have at least one specific outfit for themselves..but if not, that's fine. I don't have the financial wherewithal to pamper them (yet?).

Yes, sometimes. My GomiDoll Igon doesn't have his friend yet, so I try to spend a lot of time with him..and then I feel bad for not paying attention to the others. I don't have favorites so I hate feeling like I'm acting on favoritism.

7. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      No, I feel I owe my dog abit of cuddle time everyday but certainly don't feel I owe my dolls.

I do tend to dote on one doll the most if I have more than one, partly because it's just easier to sit and mess around with one. I do pick favourites - which I honestly think is normal.

No... sometimes I wish I could buy them more but only because I like clothes and accessories (human and dolly!) and like to have some things to mix up photoshoots. I do tend to pick a staple wig, eyes and outfit for each doll though. Just like I have my own favourite outfit. :)

I say I do sometimes... but I really don't lol. I do prefer to do most things with my 'favourite' and it's just easier to enjoy one doll. Carrying more than one, keeping an eye on multiple dolls, posing them, etc just isn't something I find very fun most of the time.

My dolls are inanimate at the end of the day - no matter what feelings I may put on them in my mind. They're here to do things with when I want to, and to wait for me when I don't. It's part of why I enjoy them so much - they are at the end of the day very undemanding.

8. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      No. They are inanimate objects and mine to do as I want with. I certainly like to play with them, take photos and such but I don't do it out of some sense of duty.

No. More likely to occupy my time than dolls are classes and homework which lead to all of the dolls being neglected.

No, but it's nice to have them. I definitely like to have one specific outfit for each doll, but after that it's a matter of money and whim.

I wouldn't feel guilty, but I'd regret not being able to take all of my dolls and having the opportunity to photograph them in new places. Not for their sake, but my own (taking photos is fun).

9. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      Yes, I love the doll I bought and I think of it constantly. I always want to buy new clothes and dress him nicely.

I think it does. Although I have not get more than one, I think it is going to switch the owner's attention to one or another. If I have more than two doll I think I am going to make senerio for them and take group photo. This is fun too.

Not exactly, I would say no. It is nice to dress your doll differently and plus different outfit can show a different characteristic. I like this way better than buying multiple clothes.

No, I do not feel that bad, Because they can take term. Also, more than one doll smoetimes is hard to handel. If any one got stolen or lost, the owner is going to be super upset. So I think taking one doll out is totally fine. Unless you have someone to take one more with you. Afterall, a big size doll is really.....heavy.

10. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      No. But for all the time I spend obsessing over my collections and BJDs in general, I do feel like I should be spending more time on the different projects that have cropped up around my collection. I wish I were in a situation where I could just have them out and enjoy just having them around more. Right now I don't have the space.

A little bit. There's less money and time available for each doll. I do feel like I've "neglected" one over others sometimes, but I don't think the doll cares -- it's just an unfinished project noodging me.

Not must. I wish to, because it's more fun for me to keep changing things around.

Not really. I basically run things on a seniority scheme so I don't really have to think about it when it comes to going somewhere. At home, it's whoever I feel like taking out of the box.

But I really enjoy pretending that these dolls are actually living representations of my characters, so it's fun to talk about what they'll refuse to wear or really like, the kinds of pictures they'd hate me for taking, etc.

11. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      I don't feel like I owe it to them, but Flo and Lo are always on my mind. Always thinking up new clothing designs that I'll never be able to make for them.. =.=;

Not really. I never really connected with my first doll so I half-sold him to my friend, who then sold her half to our other friend. x3; I still love and miss the guy, though. I did take him to Mtac last year. :3 Lo gets to go this year, since Flo's in Japan. And may go to Hawaii. xD He travels.~

Fffff. No. Flo was naked for his first couple months home. For Lo I got her a dress that came along with her. I'd rather design their clothes myself, so I'm trying to learn to sew. I have a friend that makes beautiful doll sized jewelry too. :3

I might if I had more than one in my current possession, but Flo's with his other mommy. :3 I took him with my to Ireland though, and Canada, and then he was in Texas, and now Japan, and maybe soon Hawaii, as I said before. This year, Lo will be joining me at Mtac. ...I honestly couldn't carry Flo around though. He was so heavy and I'm so not-strong. Dx; Lo's so much lighter.

12. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      Not really, no. I spend time with my dolls if I'm able to. I don't make absolutely sure I can sit and play with or take pictures of my dolls for a set period each day. I think if I was forcing myself to spend time with them, it would become more of a hassle than anything and I would quickly start to dislike them.

I certainly have my "favourites", or dolls I spend more time with/pay more attention to. Usually the MSDs get most of my time. But I love my tinies as well, even if I ignore them a bit more. xD

As long as my dolls are all clothed and have a wig and eyes, I'm happy. My dolls don't all need separate wardrobes - I just have a "pile of MSD clothes" or a "pile of YOSD" clothes and that's it. Even my girls and boys share clothing sometimes (jeans and pants and such. xD) I sometimes swap wigs or eyes around if I get bored of a look. I do have a pile of extra things so I can mix things up, but I don't feel the need to have a set number of outfits for each doll.

Not at all! Generally I try to even it out, but there are dolls that I favour and I know will get more attention, or go on more outings with me. My newest doll is the one going to a con in May with me, even though I'd planned on taking another doll for almost a year. The new one is one I've wanted for a while and finally bought, so he automatically gets to go. xD I also avoid taking some of my tiny dolls, just because they aren't as... easy to carry around. They don't pose as well as the MSDs, and they're too light for me... MSDs are a good weight - not heavy like SDs, and not so light that I'm afraid I'll lose them or something. xD

13. I think I fall outside the norm, just based on reading this thread. But that shouldn't surprise me. Most everything about me falls outside the norm. lol

I am one of those people who form easy attachments to anything and everything. Animate and inanimate. I anthropomorphize the thoughts and feelings of nearly everything I come in contact with and always have. I cried for days as a child when my snowmen melted. I still cry when I think of a particular stuffed whale that got lost during a move when I was 5. I have huge difficulty throwing ANYTHING away because I don't want to hurt its feelings. It has turned me into a massive packrat, and it makes giving things away an emotional torture.

I realize I fall at the rather extreme end of this spectrum. But, yes, due to who I am and how I work, I would and do feel a sense of obligation to my dolls. Not just to take care of them, but to actually love them and spend time with them. No, I am not deranged and I am not out of touch with reality. I am quite aware they are resin products, inanimate and have no real sentience or feelings. But that doesn't prevent me feeling how I do. I am ruled by my emotions, not my head. It's just who I am, and at my age that isn't going to change.

14. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?

Naah. I usually think about them, or at least play with one at least once a day but that's because they're pretty and it's fun.

I was afraid of that when I got my third doll, my first two were such a unity, it worked perfectly, but of course I had to have more, haha! But it doesn't affect my interaction or love of the others at all. I like each of my dolls, just differently. Some are more for cuddling, some to stare at, some to photograph..they all inspire me though, and that's the most important thing for me.

No, but I do it anyway because I love shopping for them! It depends on the doll, too. I have three boyish guys, and they don't get as many shoes and such as the others(although one of them is my Secret Wig Monster, he has the most wigs of all but because they're all mostly the same style and color it's not so obvious =.= I keep telling myself, no, you do not need another blue wig. And then I click the buy button and he's on to his 9nth wig..he has a wig for every outfit =.=), but they get other stuff, so it depends. Again, it's not because I feel I owe them, but because it's fun.

Not at all. Dolls are for fun, you know? My dolls are not like my cat, or my bunny, they don't require daily attention and they don't get sad when they don't get attention. I play with whatever doll I feel like and I don't feel guilty towards them at all. If I never do anything with a doll, that's a good sign to start thinking if I really like that doll after all.

15. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      No! That is the beauty of dolls, they don't mind if you are busy! I'm sure there are some jealous, petulant dolls out there, but mine are pretty easygoing. They have their own lives, you know.

I don't like a crowd, so I keep most of them in their boxes, and rotate them according to my mood. Sometimes they are all out of sight.

It's hard enough to come up with one set of all these things for my dolls, so I guess this isn't a problem for me! My dolls are very picky anyway, but luckily patient enough to wait for just the right thing to come along for them.

No, I think they appreciate the one-on-one time! Each must wait her turn. They can always play together or do whatever they like when I'm not around. Isn't that what dolls are known to do?

Heh!
      Raven

16. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      Not really, no. Sure, they're all characters who are important to me and I want to do them justice but they're still only dolls. I used to get them little things for their birthday [the day they arrived] back when I only had a few dolls,but it was still more of an excuse for me to get things I wanted rather than to actually celebrate my doll's birthdays. xD

Naturally, yeah. With so many you can only go out with or take so many out, but it doesn't mean I like any of them less, I just have to split my doll time up sometimes. I don't mind it though; I'm really happy with me crew so it's worth it~

I want to, and I wish I had more clothing and props [wigs and eyes I don't need many of as everyone has main wigs and eyes] but I don't feel I "must" buy these things.

Not guilty, but when I'm too busy/unable to go out due to allergies [pollen is my sworn enemy] for pictures I'm not thrilled, as it's something I enjoy.

17. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      No. I have far more important stuff to deal with then items. Yes its my hobby but their are just items in the end.

I love my dolls equally. Some I spend more time on then others but that doesnt make them unloved.

I buy what I like for my dolls. I like dressing them up in various styles and oufits. All my dolls have more then one wig or outfit. Thats the fun part for me dressing them up. I hardly keep one in the same style for a long time.

Not guilty. I actually go to dollmeets to talk to other people. Thats the most fun part for me. I usually bring 2 dolls but they end up being handled by non-bjd owers because they want to know more about them.

18. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      Well.. owe is probobly wrong word.. but if they want me Im with them!

It affects us in lots of ways. more friends. more charing. more, more love :P

No.

Well. I would probobly take the one with me that I felt most sory for, maybe just som of them I fuckd up everything with, like fuckd up the bonding (but still love) and the faceup,.. and take her for her to feel cared for, because I really really love her even if I fuck everything up, sp just to show her I love her, bring her with me. (but between me and her. nooneelse have to know.) But I never ben on a doll meating. And I wouldn't go before all my dolls where okey with everything.

19. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      I consider that owe is a strong word, I believe that any owner will be spending time with their dolls, but because they love them not as obligation.

I do not think that, I believe that after the effort made to get a BJD, is for her/him to get some company, besides if they can not be with you all time they still have time each other :lol:

Again I think is something related with love, I will buy more clothes if I find somethig that I relly like, and are in the style of my doll, but not a must.

Yes I always want to carry all of them, but that is impossible, besides carry all of them is too risky, you can not pay attention of all of them at the same time, only one to pay full atenttion.

20. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      Not so much "owe" as they deserve my time and thoughts. I would feel guilty just leaving them on a shelf! Four out of my five dolls have been sitting on a shelf in a completely different city for about a month and I feel terrible about it. One of them doesn't even have any hands! I'm sure they're still having fun, in their own resin way, but... I wish they were with me!
      Nope. There are some dolls I cuddle more than others, but that's because they enjoy it more. Likewise, there are other dolls I take more photos of... for the same reason. But I love them all equally.
      No. The only "must" is when they really need another item or accessory to complete their character. One of my dolls needs a knife, another needs a scalpel, another needs a surgical suit (I have weird dolls XD)... but I don't get them for them because I have to. As Queen Victoria said, "There is no "must" about it!"
      Nope. They all get relatively equal attention and they know I love all of them ^^ even if I play with some less than others, they prefer it that way!