1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Sense of duty towards your doll(s)?

Jul 29, 2010

1. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      Not really. Most days they just sit on my desk doing nothing.

Does having more than one doll affect your interaction time or "love" for the others?
      Saif tends to get the most attention. Muniya gets the least attention. I don't dislike her enough to sell her, but my troubles with sewing feminine clothes drives me nuts.

Do you believe you "must" buy your doll multiple clothes/wigs/eyes/accessories?
      Yes. I can't stand having only one outfit and I buy eyes like candy.

Do you feel guilt when you can only interact with a single doll at one given time (for example, take only one of many dolls at a con, on a trip, etc.)?
      Guilt is too strong a word I think. I wish I could drag all of them along on trips, but it's simply not feasible and I'm certainly not going to cut down my own enjoyment to worry about carrying inanimate objects.

2. my son and i change her clothes to go with the weather.

3. edited post

4. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      No, right now they are still sitting in their boxes. I haven't really taken them out since I moved to my new house...When I start redoing all their faceups I might feel motivated to do more with them...but I don't take them out for photos everyday.

Does having more than one doll affect your interaction time or "love" for the others?
      Sort of. I try to include most of them for photos and just 'sitting on the desk' time but I might be more slightly inclined to interact with my boys more than my girls. I try to make it equal though.

Well after awhile I like to get them new clothes...They usually remain in the same wig and eyes for a long long time though. I only buy them new stuff when a certain item catches my eye.

Do you feel guilt when you can only interact with a single doll at one given time (for example, take only one of many dolls at a con, on a trip, etc.) Not at all. I usually end up giving the other dolls time, and if I feel like I haven't interacted with one doll enough...I usually take that one with me somewhere or give them more interaction time.

5. Well; obviously Iโ€™m incredibly new to the hobby so I canโ€™t insist one way or another how Iโ€™ll be a few years down the line but I do feel somewhat obligated for my dolls to be โ€˜completeโ€™ when they finally reach home.

I donโ€™t think I could stand having a doll that didnโ€™t have their โ€˜ownโ€™ special outfit, their eyes, or their wigโ€ฆ Most of my dolls fit a characterโ€”no matter if itโ€™s a โ€˜fanโ€™ style doll or a completely original one, so I generally make sure I can do my best to get all of the โ€˜requirementsโ€™ for them before they actually arrive. ;3

Sometimes this can be quite tricky (Like with Cas; my Mnf who just couldnโ€™t decide who or โ€“what- he wanted to be and thusly refused to consent to a particular outfit or style until nearly two months of having him when I finally went โ€˜Ah! There you are!โ€™ and went about getting him dressed up and modified as well as purchasing new eyes/wig/shoes to fit.)

I donโ€™t really like the idea of โ€˜multipleโ€™ wigs or eyes for my dolls, since for the most part I donโ€™t see them โ€˜changingโ€™; but if the situation calls for it (such as one of them doing a cosplay, or an โ€˜olderโ€™ version of their character with an altered hairstyle) I would certainly get all the necessary bits & bobs for that.

I do think Iโ€™ll feel rather concerned about who I can take where and whenโ€ฆ (Which is why Iโ€™ve already said that I want a massive case for traveling with the kids for my next birthday) But I think that just at home it isnโ€™t so hard to devote time to each of them without the feeling of possible jealousy.

6. Some days I feel bummed when I want to work on my doll's character/story, but just can't get motivated enough to follow through and write it down.

Other than that, my doll has spent the past few months in the same thing, even though she has other things. It's just because I have higher priorities in my life, right now, that require I take the time I would require to dress my doll and dedicate it to something else - especially now, when my semester's close to finishing, and I've got all those papers/presentations/exams due. Dressing my doll, changing her outfits/wigs/eyes is just not high on my to-do list.

I never plan to change her eyes, actually - unless I decided to upgrade to a close (glass-version) match of the acrylics she has.

Wigs? Maybe. Dollmore gave me a second wig, free, and I've used it when I don't really feel like dealing with the one I bought for her. It's short, it requires little to no attention. I sometimes call it her 'travel' wig because it gives me one less thing to deal with. I do like the Iplehouse wigs (but I don't know if they fit).

And strangely, I tend to be drawn to variations to the long, wavy wig I originally bought; I think I'd like to keep the texture as close as possible to her original wig just because it will look cohesive. As much as I think the colored wigs are really cute (because they are, of course) I don't see myself getting her odd-colored wigs. Really, I don't see myself getting anything except a blond that closely matches what I have now.

When it comes down to it, I feel the 'sense of duty' I need to have is towards my parents in regarding my doll. Even now, they still think my doll was a waste of money. I haven't told them I'm saving for my second yet (and it's been something like 3 months since I decided this). They think I'm not treating my doll correctly, though part of that is the utter confusion about the hobby in general.

My parents hear about a $300 doll, and assume it's meant for high-end collectors of rare, expensive porcelain dolls. It's not for a run-of-the-mill person to own. I once didn't have Emma in her wig, and one of my parents felt that I was being irresponsible with my doll. I tend to feel a sense of shame whenever I have my doll around my parents; I feel somewhat pressured to have my doll up to a certain standard, because they believe a $300 doll should be treated like a $300 doll. To tell the truth, I don't think I do treat my $300 doll like a $300 doll - but that's my prerogative. People may look to people who heavily mod their dolls and say the same thing - but when you come down to it, there really is no wrong or right way to go about owning one of these dolls. Maybe other dolls, but not BJDs.

7. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      yes i do,no execptions.

well right now i only have one daughter,but if i had more i would have to say i would love them equally but made the first 2-4 dolls might get more attention.but seriously Caterina would get the most of my love!she is my first after all!

not really,my dolls will always have a set wig,eyes,sometimes dress.but i sew all of my doll clothes,so if i had to i would most likely buy shoes,mabe socks and eyes,wigs.who knows this might change?

Do you feel guilt when you can only interact with a single doll at one given time (for example, take only one of many dolls at a con, on a trip, etc.)?
      yes,hands down do questions asked!

8. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      I don't feel as if I "owe" anything, but I will feel a bit bad if I didn't in all honesty. :sweat Also I am guessing probably the character of the doll plays a big part in this...thought I would add that. P: My boy is too sweet to neglect; would make me feel bad.

I only have one BJD so.....*_* Also in part to avoid the possibility of this.:o

Not must. *laughs* I enjoy doing it, but I do not feel an obligation. If anything, I could imagine my boy saying to stop wasting money on him((as the character of him would do)). But yeah, I don't feel any obligation, it is just what I enjoy personally. Just like buying figures or new art supplies.:)

Again, I only have one doll, so....:sweat And also again, partly to avoid this. My mother actually said that it would be funny if I had multiple dolls because I would have both of them with me at all times and it would be a mess.:lol: I so agree with her....:doh

9. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?

I do in the sense that I paid good money for them, and I paid it too enjoy them. Sometimes, when I don't have the time to put into them, I feel guilty. More about spending the money though.

Not at all. I enjoy which ever one I want to at the time. Over all, I think they generally get "even" time.

Nope! They do have lots of clothes, but that's because I like changing them. They each only have 1 set of eyes, and 1 wig, though.

Not at all. Akemi has floppy issues. I don't take her with me often. Zero isn't finished, again, he rarely goes with me. Hector is so darn small, I think I've never taken him to a single meet. Ingrid poses, doesn't have a "finish" point, and is big enough to keep track of. She comes with me everywhere. And there's no guilt to it at all.

10. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      Not really, I mean they are dolls after all. I like to spend time with them, developing their characters, sewing clothes for them, watching a movie, silly things like that :) But it's not like I feel guilty if I am to busy to spend anytime with them for a while.
      No, I'm pretty good about spending equal amounts of time with each of my dolls. I think if I had too many more a couple of them might get a little neglected. Some of my dolls are a little more needy than others too :lol: mostly the boys.
      No, I just like to. Some of my dolls "demand" a more extensive wardrobe than others too, so I end up sewing more for some than others.
      No, I do like to take two at a time though since most of my dolls are coupled with someone else. Also they tend to look kind of lonely by themselves.
      Sometimes I can imagine their character saying something like, "well, you never take me with you! :...(" But I never seriously feel guilty or anything, it's just funny to play sometimes.

11. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?

Does having more than one doll affect your interaction time or "love" for the others? I only have two at the moment (3rd on is on his way) but I have them both around me normally. I like having them both looking at each other and will switch their poses once and a while so I can have a running story in my head.

Do you believe you "must" buy your doll multiple clothes/wigs/eyes/accessories? I don't think of it as a must, i like having lots of wigs and cloths for my group so I can change up their look once and a while. It was the main reason why I got into the hobby, I can change these dolls form however I like, and that is what I do.

Do you feel guilt when you can only interact with a single doll at one given time (for example, take only one of many dolls at a con, on a trip, etc.)? I'm going to be going to New York next week, at first I thought I would take both of my girls with me. Emily is as SD and Yoko a Yo-sd, but then my boy was coming and I knew I really wanted to spend time with Emily (she is my first doll) SO that's how I ended up choosing who gets to go and who stays home. My next trip I'll bring Yoko, and the one after that Shin, unless it's a really cool trip then I'm taking Emily.

12. Yes :( This topic fits my feeling at the moment>_<...My resin crew has expanded from 1->soon entering 26 ...in less than a year's time-_-;...
      Some of them are neglected yea :/ but not all new dolls get dressed properly too,I had to admit I''m biased :O...

Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      Yes I do,I try to keep at least 3 on my bed each night so we can spend the night together(the least ......@@"sounds pretty wrong lol).It's better when I hasn't decide a name and character for them...I can still treat that it's an "inanimate" object.Yet when I gave them a name and their personality...That's the worst>.<"
      I have problems dealing with that :/ maybe it's the training I've went through?I tend to imagine them as a character my created world,live.

Hmm,it depends.Right now my all time favourite is still my first boy but often I have to switch the boys to compensate lol.

I will try to,but still keep a best one for each of them.I tend to imagine them as myself,I am happy when mommy bought me new toys new clothes etc,so I'm acting as their caretaker,they will probably feel the same too,especially if I spend the time to put it on one by one for them....but that has to judge by,my own wallet limit now^^"""my bank is suffering from over expenditure ever since I entered this hobby...

Kind of :( Sometimes I even feel that mehz I'm too biased D: I might as well not bring any boys to a trip!To show fairness >w<...
      However ^^" One of my boy was the lucky one,he was sent to the hotel I was staying while I'm in Japan two months ago^^" and he got to travel to events and took airplane flights and scared the custom <--kinda . XD"
      but after that it's a no :( If I bring one out i will have to bring the other one too....I don't want to act so unfair >__<....Which is why I decided,no I shall not bring anyone out to a holiday then .saves me the headache XD

13. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?

Not at all. They are dolls, and i choose if and when i want to spend time with them.

Yes. I don't believe in having so many bjds.

No, but i personally want to. It gives my doll different looks, and sometimes my boyfriend thinks i have a different doll haha

Not really, they're special to me, but dolls none the les

14. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      I rather feel that I owe my friends and family part of my daily time, so sometimes I even feel guilty while spending too much time on my dolls. And they are in my thoughts pretty often anyway. Even if the dolls were to appreciate the time I spend with them - which I strongly doubt - they would surely want me to interact with humans more than with them so I don't end up lonely. They are nice dolls after all :lol:

Sure. My time is limited, and the more dolls I have, the less time I can spend with each of them. But I still love them all. And if I was a doll, I'd actually prefer having more of my kind (= other dolls) around than just a human. So I don't think the dolls would suffer from more dolls arriving.

No. I like to buy and make them things though, it is a big part of the hobby for me.

I don't take my (heavy... fragile... big...) resin dolls on trips, I have (lighter... less fragile... smaller) off-topics for that. But if I would, I wouldn't feel guilty. I would take a different doll with me every time for fun anyway.

15. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      *Maybe not a daily thing, but I do think about their well-being.

*I do my best not to let it. I love all my kids equally and try to give them all equal attention as they need/want it.

*I have a fairly big collection of clothes and whatnot for my dolls, but I don't always feel the need to have multiple eyes, wigs, etc. for each doll. It depends on the doll for me. My kids share, and they don't seem to mind.

*The way I get around that is to not take any of them. :) That way, nobody feels left out. Sometimes I will take one of the kids with me when I am in the mood, but normally they all stay behind when I go on holiday. I don't feel guilty though, because there's usually a reason I take one doll with me over the others.

16. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      I do, actually. If he's apart from me for even a few minutes, I just feel guilty.

I only have one right now, but I've worried about this often while shopping for my next doll. Although two dolls wouldn't be hard to equally distribute attention to, but five or six dolls.. Rejection might be more likely

Like any other fur-less creature, he does enjoy clothes and diversity

17. Maybe it is because I am still a teen and can still remember the time I spent with stuff toys. I remebered that I have to take out all my 40 over stuff toys to talk to them as I do not want any to feel left out. I know they are inanimate objects, but it still made me guilty when I have a favourite. So I to make things easier for me (i do not think I have grown out of the stage when I treat non living things like living things), I decided to buy 1 or at most 2 dolls and concentrate all the time I can give on them. So I do not have to feel guilty if doll A has this but dolls B,C,D don't have it. Or better still, get a guy doll and girl doll so if I bought a necklace for the girl I can comfort myself by saying that the guy doll won't want a necklace and has boots already or something like that. I am sure I will feel obliged to my future dolls as I do to my stuff toys.

18. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      No, not really.

No, not at all. But I do have diffrent type of attention for the diffrent dolls. If Im in a lolita dressy mood I will choose to "play" more with my mdd. If Im in an tudor mood my mnf and dz is the ones with more playtime, etc, etc. The diffrent characters have diffrent places in my life, but all is loved

Not must, but I do choose to. They do share alot of the items

For playing no, I know that the others will have mor ethen plenty of "attention time" later. As for leaving (either for a con or meet) yes, but then I feel guilt for leaving my potted plants too

19. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      I feel that I do and I feel bad when I don't >__> I generally do keep my doll in my thoughts though~

I only have one doll so I cannot say but I do not plan on getting another one. I am very content with the girl I have(:

I think I need to buy her multiple articles of clothing. Eyes, I don't think she needs more than the one she already has. Wigs, I think its nice to change it up a little but I don't need like 10 wigs for just one doll.

I don't have this issue because I only have on doll(: But I do feel bad when I go places that I could have taken her (such as a con) without her.

20. Do you feel you "owe" your doll(s) part of your daily time or thoughts?
      No. Dolls are a selfish escape for me... havings animals and their care as my sole hobby for years it's nice to have something for "me" and to not have to be concerned about regarding how much time I'm spending with them, thinking about them or studying into them. A doll is a doll and not a sentient creature, but if someone's never cared for a sentient creature I can see why they would think that I suppose?

I only have one on-topic doll, the other I despise because I see him as not good enough (27cm male Obitsu). He's cheap and squeeky, but I suppose if I didn't have my resin bjd I might appreciate the Obitsu more.

No, I must buy my animals food and care products (new light, etc. for my reptiles). The doll doesn't need clothes or anything else for the matter, but I like him to be fully clothed and wigged... so any throw-away money goes to him.

N/A