1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Serendipity Mini including Sharmin discussion thread

Feb 21, 2005

1. Are you still around? I need someone to help me find clothes for her :pout:

[MENTION=52043]Tetradeka[/MENTION] I don't think we can tell you anything about the resin because we're owners of Serendipity not Dollndoll, they produce the Serendipity molds with their own resin so you should probably ask who own another Dollndoll. As for posability I don't know because my Noel has the old body and Dollndoll uses the newer ISMY one. I also never bought anything from Dollndoll... sorry. Are you still interested in Sharmin? :)

2. n/a

#362 Minerva, Mar 5, 2015
      Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    3. I have a Minifee but she's much larger, on the hips there's a 2cm difference. My Minifee can wear Dollmore pants without problems while they just look silly on her if they're not stretchy.
      My Noel's chest is 15cm while my Minifee (a-line big bust) is 17cm, so that's another 2cm there. Maybe if a shirt was designed for a Minifee with the small bust but I don't know the size.
      A 2cm difference is huge in doll sizes...

My Noel wears mostly boy clothes but the only shirt that really fit her it's a Tonner one (a little tight though). I tried the same shirt on my Minifee and it doesn't even close, too much belly.

4. n/a

#364 Minerva, Mar 6, 2015
    5. Unfortunately I'm not very good at sewing :sweat
      I crocheted some dress, but she's not supposed to be the type to wear dresses...

6. Thanks anyway! I don't think I'll be getting Sharmin anymore as she won't work for what I need.

7. #367 ninive, Mar 13, 2015
      Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2016
    8. n/a

#368 Minerva, Mar 13, 2015
    9. I went on ebay hunting for tonner sized clothes, I managed to find some casual t-shirts and pants. The fit is perfect! (now I only need to find some cute long socks that'll look good with those shorts)

(crappy pic just to show the new clothes...)
      [​IMG]Untitled by ninive_rb, on Flickr

Poor Kurumi is starting to show signs of age, she's yellowed quite a bit, her strings and eye putty are falling apart... they did a really good job on her faceup though, it's still all there.
      When I tried to fix her eyes one of her headcap magnets came out... I'll need to scrub her and try some whitening method, then restring her and change that eye putty.

BTW I was looking inside her head and noticed there's something written in korean, it's not very clear and I couldn't make out what it is. Do you know?

10. n/a

#370 Minerva, Mar 19, 2015
    11. [MENTION=151]Minerva[/MENTION] I tried with the little korean I know and I think it's 푸른노을 that apparently literally means "blue glow"

12. I am now caretaker to an earlier Sharmin. :) Such a sweet and gentle girl. When I look at her, I can see her looking back at me. She hasn't told me her name yet, but she only arrived yesterday and is probably still tired.

13. Awww, a Serendipity thread, how didn't I notice??? I own a Noel, who I got for x-mas 2010, she is my first bjd (first of a big group, now, but she still hold a very special place in my heart!!!)

Here is my littly grumpy girl, Sixtine:

[​IMG]Little Miss Sunshine by blablette1, sur Flickr

14. I traded for this sweet girl, Sharmin. She's the original Serendipity version and many years old. I used to have a gorgeous Boding Boding Alice, who I foolishly sold. I'd love to find her again.
      [​IMG]

15. Yay, Serendipity thread revival!!!!

Did your princess find her flower, @Aki_Ross ?

16. Blablette
      She always finds all what she wants )

17. Lovely to see the Serendipity sculpts still being adored after all this time! :)

Here's a quick snap of my Sharmin, Rhee, who's been with us now for 12 years...

[​IMG]

18. Adding to this thread for @KuroGalsa!

I've owned a Sharmin for about five years now and absolutely adore her. Some information/observances about Sharmin and my girl in particular:

* Since she's been long-discontinued, I would definitely check eBay regularly if your Marketplace thread doesn't pan out. That's where I found mine, mislabeled and for very cheap. Because of her age and the company's status, recasting won't be a worry fortunately!

* At some point early on, Serendipity sold through Dollmore, which is where my girl originated. I believe they stopped selling there around 2006 or 2007?

* I also don't have another Serendipity to compare her to, but I believe my Sharmin may be WS as she's very pale yellow. However, it's definitely possible she's just a very mellow NS; the resin tone seems to be comparable to very old CustomHouse, but far less "toothy." I would say their resin ages quite beautifully!

* Her head is smaller than most minis, which gives her a more realistic proportion. Mine came only with the long elf ears, so she's wearing them full time. My only gripe with her head is how easily those ears fall out; definitely use some putty! Her body has a two-part torso and is sculpted with an immature bust. Though it's single jointed and not super poseable, I really love the look of this body. She stands well unassisted, but beware the big toe toenails! They're super long for some reason and should probably be sanded shorter. My Sharmin has unfortunately stretched out some Minifee shoes. EDIT: Forgot to mention how slim she is! I mean I know she's a slim MSD-size but she's very very petite (elven physique, apparently). If you don't plan on sewing for her, dresses or something with an elastic waist would work best.

* Sharmin was definitely a familiar face around these parts at one time. She was certainly one of the first slim minis, along with Unoa and Narae, and though you may still see those two...Sharmin's all but disappeared in 2019. I'm sure her secondhand-only status has a lot to do with it, but also I think her features may be considered too plain or homely these days. I had mine repainted with an artist's choice faceup, and I think the more "modern" style of faceup gives her a completely different look. I'm not a good photographer and I only own a very old phone for taking photos, but here's a bad shot of my Sharmin, Imoen.

[​IMG]

#379 Sandwich, Dec 8, 2019
      Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    19. I owned 3 Serendipity girls in the past: Sharmin, Alice, and Noel. I eventually sold them because at the time, MSD wasn't the size for me. They were definitely one of the earliest slim BJDs; at the time, Volks minis were rather popular, but their bodies were very child-like. Serendipity offered a more mature look that was truly "slim" vs. the curvy aesthetic of Unoa.

Another Serendipity doll was available, and that was Shall. She looked a lot like Noel but with an open mouth and more smiley eyes. (Alice looked like a more solemn version of Sharmin.)

I believe Serendipity sold dolls themselves since I interacted directly with them, but I do know that Dollmore sold their dolls toward the end like @Sandwich said. They had limited versions like a goth Alice/goth Sharmin that were rather popular.

I rooted around in my emails, and in 2005, I was sanding the seams on my Sharmin, and her ankle joint rolled down the drain... I reached out to them, and Serendipity was so sweet that they actually replaced her body for me. I can't recall if they gave me a new body, but I sent back all the pieces. I am not sure if they refined my sanding work, but it looked better than what I probably sent them lol. I do miss all of the individual 1:1 customer service and care of BJDs back in the day, but it isn't sustainable with growth and probably isn't very economical due to time. The one company that reminds me of BJD company vs. owner/fan interactions from 2005 is Peak's Woods.

I saw a Sharmin on eBay not too long ago, and I was really tempted to get her again, but I figured I should stick to what I have planned and avoid impulse purchases!