1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Settling for second-best?

Jan 3, 2016

1. I've been collecting BJDs for well over 10 years and fashion dolls even longer. Learn some patience and save a stash of spending bucks - your dream doll will come around, it takes patience and diligence checking the MP regularly. People post things for sale every day.

I missed out on a limited doll and did not have funds to buy it at the time the order period was being held. Lo and behold about 18 months after the event, one came to me, not with a faceup I liked, but nevertheless I got it. Getting a new faceup to my tastes was relatively easy when you know an artist who can help you out or if you faceups yourself.

You honestly don't have to have your dream doll first to enjoy the hobby. You can expand your horizons and look at other dolls that you like but always keep that doll in mind. With a bit of patience, it'll show up. Enjoy the thrill of the hunt!

2. I'm also a new collector, so I haven't experienced this problem just yet. My first two dolls are being made right now.

I have a list in progress of dolls I really want, but thus far, there are no LEs on it, so I am hoping that they all stick around long enough for me.

In the event that they don't, however, I am hoping that I'll somehow be able to find a similar sculpt that I will enjoy, or else find her second hand.

I'd suggest looking at web pages of well-respected face up artists. They usually have really extensive galleries of their work, and you get to see what can be done with countless faces. This is also a great way to discover new dolls that you actually really like and new brands overall. I've taken to doing this lately, as I have basically looked through and listed what I like for the most well-known brands already. :)

3. Definitely don't buy a sculpt that you don't like 100%. I've also had that thought, like "I'll get used to it" or "It'll grow on me" but I never do. If there is something I dislike about it now, I will still dislike it in 5 years. Especially given the current Marketplace economy, where things aren't selling as fast as they used to, you really should be absolutely sure you love something before you buy it... because reselling it may be difficult.

I actually think that missing out on a doll that JUST sold out is pretty good timing! Much better than discovering a doll that sold out years ago! There are always people who receive a new doll and immediately realize they don't want to keep it. If you pay attention to the waiting thread for the doll you want, as soon a you see that they're starting to ship out, that's when you start keeping a close eye on the Marketplace, Facebook, etc. Chances are somebody will put theirs up for sale right away.

4. It is amazing what you can find in the MP. I missed out on a Soom Auber Storm Sprite in grey when he was first released due to lack of funds. 2 years later I snapped up a nearly fullset in the MP. I recently purchased a Unidoll UH-08 Elf from the MP and the company that made him has been gone for about 6 years now. He even came to me with the default company face-up in pristine condition and his original default wig. I've bought dolls long sold out or ones that were discontinued from the MP. It does take patience but chances are actually pretty decent that you can eventually find what your heart desires.

My point is that I'd say to wait for what you really want and don't settle for second best. You may find what bugs you a little about the sculpt now will become a giant turn off when the doll is actually in your hands and you see it every day. Yes, it's hard to wait when you want something so much but you'll honestly be far happier with what you want than settling. And if you're going to be dropping the kind of cash that these wallet vampires usually demand, the best bang for your buck is getting what you love. As others have mentioned, reselling a doll can be stressful, there's no guarantee the doll will sell quickly and you may take a loss just to get it out of your house.

I actually said I'd have only 2 dolls because of the cost of them. Going on 8 years later... I own 35 *head desk*. Doll ownership is a slippery, slippery slope.

5. In general, I don't think it's a bad thing to choose a doll you love a little less but can actually get within a reasonable time frame instead of (or while waiting for) a doll you love a little more that isn't accessible to you. There's something to be said for having a doll in your hands to interact with rather than just dreaming of a theoretical doll.

That said, I think this only applies when you're enthusiastic (just not necessarily at quite the same level) about both dolls. In this case, you seem very lukewarm about your second choice. Saying it's "not so bad" doesn't sound like you love it, it sounds like you're just willing to tolerate it... and I don't think a doll that's just tolerable is worth it.

Not every doll has to be your favorite-in-all-the-world grail doll. Every doll should be loved and wanted, though. I think it's reasonable to compromise sometimes, but to me the situation you're describing sounds like you'd be settling for something you don't really want much at all. So in this case, I'd wait for something you love to come along, whether it's your current favorite or a different interest.

6. Get em all, I say LOL

7. Wait for the perfect doll. It's worth it. I looked for my grail doll for over 6 years. She was an unpopular sculpt & only available to order in person from Tenshi no Sato, Volks' Kyoto showroom. So very, very few ever popped up in the MP. I've only ever seen one other for sale, actually. But I found my dream doll for a steal of a deal when I was just randomly searching a Japanese site one day. I've never been so happy to get a doll. I was almost crying when I opened her box for the first time. There's no way I could have settled for another doll and been as happy :)

8. Glad you decided to save and wait. I hope it pays off sooner rather than later!

I've never really had this issue as there are endless sculpts that I love, and I'm lucky that my two favourite sculpts ever were standard editions I could buy at my leisure.

9. I'm a bit of a newbie myself, so I'll give my cretus with this. Not all of us can afford our "dream dolls" or otherwise acquire them. However, you shouldn't get a doll that you dislike. If you don't at least like the design of a doll, don't buy it. That would be a waste of money anyway. If you want to fill the void that Lehr was talking about, get something that appeals to you, that you don't have doubts about whether or not you'll enjoy it. Sometimes we have to settle, but we can't settle too much.