1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Settling on a doll... then changing your mind?

Mar 23, 2006

1. Heh, I'm guilty too.
      I decided I'd save up for D.O.T. Calla first, since she fits
      my main character so well. (even though I fail at
      writing the actual story... :sweat )
      But now I've come upon Rad from Distant Memory,
      and, asdfghjkl;, he's perfect for an older brother character
      that didn't even exist yet, but now does. :sweat
      He even got me wondering if Calla is really as perfect as
      I thought. :(

2. I haven't really had this kind of trouble.
      Picking between dolls all at the same time.
      I usually just put all the dolls I really really like on my wishlist. LOL.
      I think what I'm gonna have to worry about is, which story I wanna write next and what characters I wanna get as dolls. BUT ANYWAY!

I did change out a doll, like, a million times for one character. No lie.
      First he was a Delf Regen, then he was a doll from Souldoll, then another doll from Souldoll, then two dolls from Fairyland. I was seriously going crazy. And every time I would just settle for that doll. That is, until I found another doll I thought would suit him.
      UNTIL! I saw an ad here on DoA. It was from Luts, and it had the SSDF Dew in it.
      I was completely taken back, I had never seen him before!
      So, I looked him up. And he was the one! FINALLY! I had found him! :'D

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, you should never just settle for a doll. Lucky for I'm not very close to buying this particular character! Haha.
      But just take your time when deciding on which doll to buy next.
      You don't want to regret it later.

3. You're absolutely right about taking your time & looking over the dolls completely. If you want dolls that look good together just be aware that Hound is much taller & proportioned quite differently than your Chiwoo. You really can't go wrong with either Shiwoo or El. El looks a bit more mature while Shiwoo has a mischievious look about him. If you can find a tan version of either on the secondary market, grab it. The tan resin really punches up the sculpt on these dolls.

Generally when choosing dolls for myself though, I go with my gut reaction. If my heart starts beating faster when I see a doll then I know that one is for me. And to be honest, if I buy a doll just because it looks interesting but doesn't give me that reaction, I always eventually end up selling it.

4. I bought a doll from Doll-Zone and loved him for a while, then I just recently decided I really want a different doll, so I am selling Takai. It took me a while to make my final decision but I did it! What you need to do is really sit down and think about what would benefit you the most.

5. I save pictures of the dolls I want and copy them to a document to stare at them side by side. I have even printed out the picture to make notes about what I like or dislike about the sculpt. For me, seeing both sculpts at the same time helps to clarify the issue.

6. This is my kinda thread!!!
      I am in a crisis like that :/
      I always have wanted a Soom MD Teenie Gem!!!
      But because of moolah, i have to go to other options...
      I am hoping for a
      MNF Woosoo
      MNF Miyu
      Delf Miyu
      ... So On!!!!
      But i decided,
      hey!
      A Pipos would be AwEsOmE!!!
      So now i am swooning over a Pipos Dali!!!
      I have changed my mine, truly ALOT
      But i feel personally this is a great 3rd doll!
      Then maybe a Sd in the picture ;D

7. I have changed my mind many times before. My reasons were that it was just not going to happen for financial reasons ie. Limited doll way too costly on the second hand market. Another time I fell in love with someones Elfdoll Soah but she was modded and I was not going to have to do that. I felt like I would be copying too much. Now I just love to look at other peoples Soahs. My most wanted doll is Volks Luna (see my signature) and try as I must it has never worked out. When I had the funds there was no Luna, soon as I spent the funds up she pops. I have said this before but I have to say it again I have lost out on her 6 times I believe. For a while I pulled her off my list but she is back on and I have my fingers crossed.
      Some dolls I really like but in the scheme of things I cannot imagine getting them before I get my other dream girls.

8. Ooooh man! this is a stroll down memory lane! I remember when I first got into this hobby back in 2004/2005. My tastes have changed so radically it's not even funny! At first I want a CP El! I thought oh cool! then, I saw more pictures of him and went "Nah!" then I went towards my second choice a CP Yder! I thought for SURE I was gonna get him. I did not. I changed my mind yet again! I thought I wanted a Dollmore doll...nope. Again, there must have been over 50+ doll changes. This very last one, I seemed hellbent to save up the $700 for a Volks MSD FCS!! I was like yeah! I'm gonna get my own Volks MSD finally! and then nope. It would financially crush me. So, now I'm saving for a Souldoll Little Jandi. Every so often the thought of owning a Fairyland Minifee would creep into my head. So terrible.

9. Augh yes.
      Initially I had a bit of a crisis choosing my first doll (about a year ago when I was first looking into them) and I was absolutely in love with SDF Howl. But then! I found the DOD site and met D.O.I Luke and it was LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT, but I felt like that would be really flighty, man, stick with the doll you like... until really... it was only Luke for me. And I ended up not really liking Howl near as much; he was still on my wishlist for a while but he eventually dropped off that too.

Right now I'm kind of having the same issue! I really want a MSD boy, and I'd long ago settled on a Peakswood Punky-beetle, who is perfect for the character I have in mind for him, but I'm absolutely in LOVE with the Luts Bory mold.... And I'm not sure what I would do with him if I got him, since he doesn't fit the character, but I like him more, but.... Oh it can go on and on.
      Probably might end up with both of them, but that's in the far future. Luckily neither is a limited....

10. Oh, ALL the time! The first SD I ever saw and wanted was a Luts Yder. I told myself that would be THE ONE. Then I saw Crobidoll, and fell for Lance and Yeon-ho. But then after thinking about it, and see a Luts SDF Bliss, I thought THAT one was what I really wanted.

...And then I found a Delf Yder for sale here and fell in love. So in my case, I should just go with my first idea. I still love Yeon-ho and Lance and Bliss. I may still get a Bliss, but who knows. I don't have any plans.

11. Guiltily fickle criminal as charged, I am. o/

I always get the most irresistible impulses when it comes to dolls, although thankfully I've only succumbed to two and only regretted one of it. I was looking through doll companies while I was still a noob and free-fell hard for Crobidoll Yeonho, and when I started saving I wanted him and him only. And yet, after a few more months of gaining more knowledge about dolls, even though my love for Yeonho never waned, I put a AS Antonine on layaway just because he was limited and he fitted my would-be Yeonho's character's psychotic hunk of an older brother pretty much perfectly, right down to him being a vampire. I don't regret it 'cuz I love my Dante to bits. <3

The second time was when this seller on LJ desperately wanted to sell off her Nino Woo.u, I fell in love with the pictures she put up and completely forgot about going to the main website to have a good look at him. I got his head on layaway too (since the body was already split), but during the layaway my impulses faded and I wondered whether I really wanted a Woo.u. Especially when I finally got him and it turned out he had some damages to his right eyelid and the neck groove that the seller didn't bother highlighting to me. I'm probably gonna try and sell him off, but first I'd have to fix the damages with a bit of sanding and give him a proper faceup.

I've been better at controlling my impulses though, when I look at dolls now I really look and see if they'd be what I want them to be. Yeonho's still my ultimate love--and I'm supposed to be fickle!!--I've recently acquired a head from the lovely Healdria in the MP, and I've already been stir-crazy looking for the perfect body for my perfect boy and all his aesthetics and etcetera. :)

12. For me, there're a million dolls that are hanging around in the back of my mind screaming "Buy meeee!", but there were some molds that screamed just a little bit louder than the others. It has taken some debating back and forth between molds, but eventually I made up a pretty good doll plan for my "family". A few of the dolls have changed, but that's expected, and they won't be actualized for a while, so I think a little flip-flopping is healthy ^__^ keeps you open to more options, and maybe you'll find that what you thought was a perfect doll may not really be.

13. At first I saw one SD boy that I was set on getting; now there are 5 I want O_o
      Since I have a lot of cosplay plans right now, I am just going to focus on that for a while, then I am going to come back to the dolls and choose to stick with the one that really steals my heart at that moment in time. Kinda crazy, but I hope it works :)

14. Well I first decided on this one boy and decided to stop there. But then I wanted a different doll and I've finished saving up for him. I was going to stop at him but now I hope my future collection grows. @_@

15. I can totally relate. I feel that 'indecisiveness' is my middle name regarding dolls. Last year, I very nearly bought: Doll Chateau Elizabeth (with spider body), Granado Mars/Neptune, Mirodoll Iris on 70cm body, Iplehouse Bibiane/Justin/Edan/Claude/Lawrence (different dolls for different days :XD:), Soom Phonolus/London, Dollits etc. Then, after all this, I went and bought a Dollzone 60cm boy. :nowords:. He wasn't in my plans at all.

16. Yes. Michael was supposed to be a Little Rebel Jelle. I had longed for that sculpt for something like a year, it was just never available when I had money. Finally, I had money and there was a possible release date in sight. But it didn't happen. Instead, Aleksander was available. And while I felt bad giving up on Jelle after all this time, I fell hard for Aleksander and bought him instead. Now, I think it was the right choice. Michael is 17, will be 18 this year, and I think Jelle may have looked too young/femme for him. Aleksander makes a wonderful teenage mysterious artist!

17. I usually solve my indecisiveness by waiting it out a while, thinking about it, and planning a character for each of the dolls I'm considering. Eventually, I'll fall out of love with a doll or two because I didn't like the character I was planning enough to justify the price.