1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Sharmistha - Full-figured Doll

Dec 19, 2010

1. I am new to the hobby and was just wondering yesterday why there were no full figured dolls! I think you did a wonderful job! I think it is really neat how you also offer two different skin tones :). Congrats on creating something beautiful, but also unique!

2. Oh man, you have no idea how much I love this! I have no plans whatsoever for a full figured doll, but you kind of make me want to make some. I would love to see some more poses from her though.

The neck does look a bit too thin, but I suppose if it was thicker I can imagine that it would be a hassle trying to find heads that fit.

But really, beautiful job, I applaud you for making such a beautiful and unique body!

3. awww! i dig her! i want to get that oh so grumpy Bellosse head to put on her body...i wonder, would her skin tone match DIM?

Kudos for such a weirdly wonderful and daring body!

4. Kawaii! I am totally thrilled to see this body for sale. I wish I had some money. It is so good to see a larger body-size represented in BJD sculpts.

I'm a large lady and finding this bod in the News thread really cheered me up. She's going on my wish list.

5. I find it really interesting that people are cheering the fact that there's a full-figured BJD, but are critisizing the size of her feet. Hypocritical much?

As a shorter person with the beautiful, bootylicious pear figure of this doll, I'm all in support of it, especially for the arms and legs. People aren't perfect, and the fact that there are some slight mismatches of proportion makes me inordinately happy - because it's more realistic for her to be that way.

6. Yep, totally agree, Chibihaku! I've got small, wide feet myself, and my ankles do taper.

7. Posing pics plz? I need to know if I am buying one of these bodies.

8. Oooh yay! I was toying around with the idea of doing a set of "7 deadly sins" dolls but when it came to Gluttony I hit a brick wall because of all the super-slim body shapes BJDs have. I'm glad someone has made a full-figured doll body, it's so much more realistic ^^

Now I can add that project to my future list!

9. to me the size of the feet doesn't even look realistic.
      Like this would be a full figured adult woman with feet that would fit in children's shoes.
      I'm also worried for the dolls stability. How well does it hold it's own weight and balance with just tiny feet to balance on? I'd feel much safer if the doll had larger feet for stability.

It's not about making it perfectly proportionate and pretty. It's making it realistic and functional.

10. I know several real plus sized women with very tiny feet. "Realistic" as well as "Functional".
      It is true though that the foot size of a DOLL is a concern for stability's sake, since dolls lack the muscles needed to use small feet on a larger body.

Also, still waiting for posing pics, please. I can't justify ordering a doll based on two or three static posed pictures, and I would like to order, so far.

11. Not really. People aren't perfect or perfectly symetrical. However, these aren't people. They're dolls. So when you look at a doll and think that something's proportionally off, you're not looking for perfection, just balance.

12. Quite this tiny though?
      I still stand by the fact that these look like childrens shoes.
      I'm not saying that people can't have tiny feet, but this feels too tiny.

13. Actually, I know several people with these proportions on their hands and feet. It is a particular figure-eight style of plus-sized woman; there are many other kinds of plus-size body styles out there IRL.
      It also depends on where you scale her human height. If you think of her as a tiny round woman, maybe five feet tall, then yes, her hands and feet seem too small, but I have met women built just like this. (I also meet real people I think really need a severe change of faceup and wig style, and possibly a different head size, poor things, but alas...)
      I tend to read this body as a woman of queenly height as well as size. If you look at this as the body of a woman of really queenly proportions--hmm, how tall is Queen Latifah?--but it also becomes scaled like this. When you're at least 5 foot 10 inches plus, and a good four hundred fifty plus pounds, then otherwise large to normal-sized wrists and ankles work out to that scale. I know supersize women whose wrists are much larger than regular women (the bones are much bigger than many men's wrists), and yet the relative scale comes out like this. And yes, it can look a bit odd to see such women walking around--but if you see old artwork of nineteenth-century fashion, you see designers trying to imitate this amazing look on skinnier women! You could create a *very* convincing Victorian beauty of this body. This is one of this sculpt's "realistic" charms, to me.
      I totally understand the concern about the stability of the standing doll, and it would be quite reasonable to think about larger feet for those who prefer a less extreme scaling.

14. I don't see much point in arguing about whether or not this body type is physically possible at human scale, since there is such a huge range of human body types - whether normative or grotesque - that it really becomes moot. Someone will always be able to point to one example somewhere.
      When I buy a doll I'm not looking for a realistic depiction of a human. I'm looking for a beautifully articulated classical sculpture. Like any sculpture, figurative or not, it's got to seem balanced from any angle. Since these dolls are also movable, that means that they need to seem proportionally balanced in any pose.
      Without seeing this doll posing - and without head, hands and feet that all work together stylistically - it's hard for me think much of the initial presentation. I think it's a brave first effort to make a new body type available, but I see nothing wrong with making suggestions for improvement. Most of the successful doll sculptors out there got to where they are by being willing to turn a critical eye on their own work in order to improve engineering and sculptural finesse, and by listening to feedback from collectors. We all spend a lot of time looking at and playing with dolls; our feedback is valuable, especially when we're willing to stick to our aesthetic principles.

15. I'll add in my support for this project -- it's a great idea.

For what it's worth, in terms of the feet, I am a very large woman (though I actually am 5ft tall ;) ), but as far as shoes, I can wear anything from a US5.5-US7, tending toward the lower end of that spectrum. For those not accustomed to US sizing, that's on the small side in general. It can happen, and even the larger women around me daily don't tend to have hands and feet that are considerably larger than a woman of a more slender size -- the weight doesn't gather in these places the same way. Hands and feet are more a factor of bone structure than weight, which means there's naturally going to be variances there. What we're used to seeing at normal dollybodyweight is going to proportionally look much smaller on a full-figured doll even if the size of the hands and feet actually goes up a tick or two. :)

If the hands and feet were inflated, it would, to my eye, make the entire figure seem inflated and cartoonish in an unnatural way. Some folks may want that effect, though, so I have to agree that making a set of larger hands and feet would likely be a good idea.

16. I think the feet are throwing so many off visually because they don't match the rest of the alluded to frame. This has not thing to do with the padding, if you will. The sculpt almost suggests that while she's flulfy, she'd also bigger boned, else she wouldn't carry her fluff in that way. But then the feet say she's smaller boned. She doesn't need pudgy feet, just bigger boned ones. Of course, this also seems more pronounced on the nude doll than the dressed one, and once shoes are on visual proportion becomes less of an issue.

I add to the request for more poses. It'd help get a sense of how well balanced she is.

17. ...it's my mom :o No seriously, it looks like my mother with very full hips and petite hands/feet. I love this body design She cold be a Diva type character, or a very maternal type.
      I'm wanting to put a 'Granma' head on her, I bet she'd look very charming.

18. How long are you planning on taking orders for her? I don't have the extra money right now, but I'd love to get her at some point.

19. Very good points. Brings up the nice idea of making her into something deeply classical, more Venus of Wittendorf type of figure, too.

20. SendLoveThrough, I expect she will be available for a while. If demand is such, I will make another batch of molds.

Here are some pictures of her posing. While she isn't he most articulate doll on the planet, she is more poseable then some bodies I have bought.

WARNING!! Images contain NUDITY.
      http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r63/nepenthes1/DSCF6518.jpg
      http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r63/nepenthes1/DSCF6520.jpg
      http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r63/nepenthes1/DSCF6521.jpg
      http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r63/nepenthes1/DSCF6522.jpg

And here is a foot comparison. Her feet might be a bit small, but I don't think they are as tiny as some people are thinking. The feet on the left are on a Luts Soony.

[​IMG]