1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Shelling Trans OCs

Jun 14, 2016

1. Hope my post earlier does not come across in the wrong way, but not all who suffers from gender dysphoria are able to come to terms with that this is how things are...

In my situation things feel complicated and messy, and I'm not sure what to do, nor do I know if I'm able "to" even though the dysphoria hurt very much. One one side, health-wise I have to think about my own safety, but on the other side I really want the upper part of my body which I can't name, gone because it makes me most uncomfortable!

But as of right now I feel the need for a trans character like myself. I guess it is a roller-coaster how I feel when it comes to all of this :sweat But at the moment I haven't had any plans for quite some time.

2. I have one character in my BJD story that has already been in transition. I solved it by attaching a female body (with wider shoulders and narrower hips) to the originally male head. Karen (Soom Chrom head + Granado nuevo female body, sm. br.) is very original and hot.

3. Honestly, I'm such an escapist that I would shell any trans characters in the body sculpt of their gender! :XD: Although I do understand that some people prefer the realism, or maybe they find it cathartic and more affirming of their bodies. Kudos especially to people who have the patience for modding! It's really lovely to see the variety of trans experiences reflected in our dolls! <3

4. I prefer the realism, as you say, @electrospecter.

Vhei-wen will have his chest bound underneath his Jedi robes. He already has a packer since I needed to find a use for the horn that he came with anyways. :blush

Ryu

5. Ah, shout out to everyone who can't physically transition, for various reasons. I'm in that boat too.

Honestly, I'd most likely put my trans OCs in to the proper body, ie. their respective identity, though I'd buy some of them as-is, and hybrid or mod (like sanding the bust down to create a flat chest) for others. Currently, the doll I'm waiting for (a DZ Little Rain) won't need any modifications because of the body shape (thank goodness lmao, I hate all the dust it'd make otherwise).

There are so many varying experiences when it comes to being trans/nonbinary/etc, and I like that the world of BJDs offers so many possibilities when it comes to shelling our characters. :)

6. Not exactly a trans OC but I asked this question to myself in the past with a gender fluid OC.
      I never got to embody this character in the end cause my resin family took a different direction, but they were officially born a female with a certain medical condition that prevented female characters to show (and also had a personality disorder due to trauma) and I had my doubts about choosing a body for them.

I'm not trans myself but have a trans friend who is in the process of transitioning and I talked with them about this character. Taking into account that I like my human characters as realistic as possible, they agreed with me in that starting with a not too feminine female body and making a few modifications seemed the way to go in my case, but it is a very personal matter, I think.

7. I've never thought about it, but that's a good idea! I'm trans myself, and I like both ideas (of having a doll with a post-transition body, or having a doll that hasn't/won't transition). I think the normalization of trans bodies through BJDs is a great thing. :)

8. Me! (I am also trans), it really depends on the character. I have a boy who has a dollfie dream body coz I don’t see him as wanting top surgery, I am also planning a hybrid doll but he’s taking time for the plans coz I want him to be tan and that presents more challenges with swapping parts OTL

9. I'm glad to see such threads exist here!!

I am a trans man and I am currently looking into making several trans dolls, each at different stages of transition. At the moment, my ideas are a trans man who is fully post op- one that I will draw each scar on- and a fully pre op man. The second is more likely at the moment as I am not very practiced with my painting and I have already had a word with Resinsoul about their doll/doll head combos. I would also like to try my hand at sanding down a character's breasts but I am worried about sanding too much and ruining a really expensive doll XD

10. I’ve done a ton of chest mods! If you sand down too much, it’s super easy to get a little bit of milliput and resculpt the chest. I’ve modded chests onto a couple of flatter-Chested bodies, and sanded down and resculpted the chest on another.

11. Ah, that would be a great help! Thank you :) Now I have no excuses to not go ham on my poor dolls XD

12. In the beginning of the hobby I didn't view the dolls as abstract representations of the characters and instead very literally was planning out their transitions in my head, so the body looking like it "should" at the stage of transition they were in was important to me. I wanted multiple bodies for each stage, which is frankly expensive and I had to realize it's just not how I enjoy playing with my dolls. I don't change them to different bodies much, so there's no point. So now, I'm a lot less literal-minded and just focus on the aesthetics. If they're a girl they're a girl regardless of the body they have, and they go on a body that fits their silhouette the best, regardless of what's underneath their clothes.

13. There's a seller on Etsy that sells BJD STL files and one of the "add-on" files is of a chest with top surgery scars!

I don't have any dolls that the characters are trans or nonbinary, but I have a few "on paper" characters that are nonbinary and/or trans. It would be interesting to have a doll that as that kind of story, especially for me. I'm starting to branch out in that aspect of character making so a trans or nonbinary doll wouldn't be too far out of my way.