1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Shelling yourself to a doll?

Dec 17, 2016

1. Oh, I think it would be fun. A little me in a sci-fi/fantasy world, a little me as an anime character, a little me who could wear crazy stuff I can't. Maybe a little narcisstic, but if so, a fairly benign form of narcissism.

I dont think I'd ever get one to be another real person, though. I find that uncomfortable. I thought about doing one of my daughter for a whole, but the more I thought about it, the less appealing it was. Almost like invading that person's privacy. Even celebrities really. Somehow making a Starbuck doll seems okay, making a Katee Sackhoff doll, weird.

2. I never thought about doing that. For some reason I think it would be a little creepy to have myself in doll form

3. I don't want to shell a doll who is a person in real life. It's probably for two reasons:

1. I don't have all the information on a real person (probably including myself). As a result, I can't ever hope for that doll to be/act like that person when I do stuff with it--after all, it would only be posing/doing/acting as I think that person would act. With a character, I created it, so I would hope that I would know everything about it (or at least, have the opportunity to invent/determine that bit of information that I didn't already know/didn't preplan).

2. I dunno, I don't want this to be taken in an accusatory way, but for me personally, I think that real people deserve a certain degree of respect (not that I have to respect them, per say, but that they deserve respect as living things). For me, this respect includes not representing them/doing something with them or their image in a way that they don't consent to. I can't read fanfiction about real people for this reason too.

As for myself, that's kind of a different story. I guess, I don't find myself interesting enough to shell myself as a character. I find the things I do interesting, and I love to talk about them with people (which is probably why some of my dolls have interests similar to myself), but I don't really think about myself much as a character or being independent of my goals or interests (when I think about me, I think about my sewing, my research, by desire to apply to X school, not me as an entity). My skinsuit is just a convenient way to travel to work every morning.

4. Does it have to look like your actual appearance or is it just a mere projection of your image?[/QUOTE]
      only if I was trying to create something truly terrifying, lol

5. I would consider purchasing the doll that a friend once said reminded her of me, but I don't know if I'd style her similarly to myself.

6. I was actually thinking about this a few days ago, and how I lowkey want to do this because I'd get to dress or style myself in ways that I'd never get to do in real life. However, I'm also worried about how narcissistic it'd seem :lol:

I've also been thinking about my pets as well. There's this one etsy shop that makes BJD dogs (the name of the shop eludes me), and when my chihuahua dies, I'd like to get one to customize as her so I'd have her with me wherever I go.

7. I have a doll who's character looks it's sort of inspired in me. Has my hair and eyes color and her clothing is of my taste. To explain, I like fantastic outfits but making them for myself it's too expensive and takes too much time. That's why I'll make them for her, with the same designs i would originally have for me. My other doll clothes are other designs I created but that were not meant for me or that don't go so well with my colors.

8. I could not do it. I can never put myself in the center of my art, I want my art to speak for itself. Dolls are art for me.

9. I've always wanted to do just a doll head on a neck and shoulders bust, as an art piece and self portrait, in a realistic style, to remind myself that I am actually pretty in my own way, though not beautiful by modern standards.

10. I have been thinking about having one that looks like me almost since I started in this hobby and she was thought to by exactly like me as all my dolls were not fantastical. I gave it up because I wasn't feeling right towards myself nor my body and so I didn't wanted a perfect little thing reminding me what I wasn't.

Nowadays, I am feeling better with myself and I'm considering it again. This time, as I have fantasy-themed dolls now, I'm thinking about buying the sculpt that looks like me (I have found one) but making a fantasy-themed alter ego of it. I even have the idea for her character already in my mind.
      I will keep you informed and I will show her here when I have her completed.

11. I've thought of shelling myself as a doll for some time now. I don't know if I'd actually do it, but I feel like JID Benny would be a fitting sculpt. But I'd probably want a body from a different company cause the JID girl body doesn't quite fit my body type. I feel like it would be something close to a MNF Moe girl body, (probably with an Active line bust) something slightly pear-shaped with nice round legs. Not sure how that hybrid would look. Of course there are other bodies I haven't discovered yet that would be a better fit, same goes for the head, I'm sure.

12. I would really love to see your doll when you complete her ^_^

The main reason I am considering to have a doll to represent me is that so I can feel more involved in the my dolls' life, not as their owner, but more like a part of me as their family. I'm not sure if anyone can understand this or even if it is acceptable or not. But who cares, right...as long as I enjoy it, what people think or say matters the least ^-^

What I know is I will have so much fun doing lots of things with my dolls, make lots of funny and cute stories with them to entertain myself and those who care. ^^

13. Yes, I understand exactly what you mean; yes, it's acceptable ; and yes, you should go for it! :3nodding:

14. I actually have two non resin BJD that are made to look like my daughters. Kids grow too fast and I did them in doll form to kind of always remember what they looked like as kids in a 3D form. My daughters really enjoyed being my models for the faceups, and loved seeing their dolls come together.

I have been thinking about making my first resin BJD based on me to go with my daughter's dolls, and then one based on my husband. Kind of making the family complete. I would have to create those dolls from scratch though, there is no doll with mine nor my husband's body shape. It's one of the many reasons why I've been researching how to make a BJD.

15. I mean I've participated in self-inserting and I think it's harmless and fun. ^-^ I think I wouldn't shell myself as I am now, but maybe I'd shell the best version of myself I can imagine and strive to be that way? I dunno.

I like the idea of having a sort of avatar among my dolls that can interact with them as an equal instead of as, well, an owner. I figure I'd just make a character very similar to myself living the way I'd like to in a perfect world.

#35 Princesouffle, Jan 27, 2017
      Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    16. i don't think i'd want a doll that was suppose to be me.(mabye one that looked similar to me mabye) although when i was a kid i had a american girl knock off doll that had red hair and blue eyes just like me, and i even got my mama to buy us matching halloween costumes once.

17. I don't think I would shell the real me, or friends and family as dolls. But I do have a character that I've poured a great deal of myself into, that at one point did look a great deal like me. He was my avatar as an artist, and I went by his name among some friends on facebook, and because of that experience, It's to the point where I've actually decided to take this characters name as my own--not sure I want to go into details on that. But he and my experiences online helped me make some pretty huge changes in my life.

I do have a small OT doll representing this older version of him, and I have a new doll one representing a newer version I call Maes, at least for now, since he can no longer go by that original name.
      Something I wanted to do with this character was to take some uglier aspects of myself and exagerate them. Create a character that was physically suppose to be repulsive and see if I could still like this character. Lol.
      I still do. The newer version of him goes beyond that though, in his roll as a villain xD

I honestly wasn't too picky on his sculpt. He's an obitsu Ryu. The only obitsu sculpt I liked enough to own. But more lidded eyes and a boyish face I guess were the important features.

18. I have been thinking about this very idea since about Oct. of 2016. BJD's are a rather new thing to me (May 2016) but I've had 'imaginary' friends (that I still have) since I was 5 years old. Now, the only difference between my 'imaginary' friends & my BJD's characters is that my BJDs have resin forms that other people besides me can see. :) My 'imaginary' friends and I have stories together that go back many years. Sometimes, I have tried to write the stories down, though I don't consider myself a writer. Someday I would like to make photostories of these, if I could find (or sculpt) resins to represent my people, who are real to me even if they don't have resins. I, myself, would also need a resin version, to appear in the story with them. I am as real as they are! :3nodding:
      The majority of responders seemed to think this was a bad idea, either exhibiting narcissism or the reverse-narcissism of body dismorphia. I don't understand the emphasis on whether the 'shell' has similar looks to oneself. She just needs to play my part in the story, for the camera, like an actor. She will be my avatar, so that I can enter the resin world in the same scale as my friends and we can be photographed together. People who have chosen an avatar to represent them in the world of a video game should find this concept familiar. She doesn't need to look like me, she just needs to 'be' me in that world.
      One responder said that the line between the 'real' and the 'unreal' was one they never wanted to cross. I crossed that line a long time ago & I really like it over here; I cross back and forth all the time. :cheer

That's cool! Seems like you're working on a 3D family portrait, and it's cool that since they'd be ball jointed, you could even reposition them as taking part in different scenes that you remember. Am I right in assuming that you would depict memories from the past, not things that never happened, or possible future events? Yes, I also have people that no existing bjd (that I know of) would match.

#38 Refashionable, Jan 27, 2017
      Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2018
    19. Basically yeah a 3D portrait. I would depict memories of us in the past versus future or present events. :) My kids already enjoy telling me what outfit from their closet I need to sew next to go on their doll. Funny thing is they don't even play with dolls, but are very into the ones I did for them. The making of my husband and I will be the hardest part. Finding already made kid bodies and heads was really easy.

20. There are many ways to play with dolls, and you and your family are already playing with them. :3nodding: