1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Shelling yourself to a doll?

Dec 17, 2016

1. I'm gonna be honest I think I dislike myself too much to ever do that. Like... maybe that sounds bad, maybe it doesn't, but I just don't really think I'm worthy of so much narcissism (besides if I DID feel that way, I'd much rather spend $500 on clothes that look flattering on me). I've also not had any self-insert characters in fiction since I was 10 or 11, that's when I kinda started finding other people more interesting and more worthy of their own stories.

There was one doll that reminded me a little bit of my fiance (they had a very similar smile) and I briefly considered getting one but, it was the whole money thing again. I would've rather spent $800 doing something with him than buying a doll that resembles him.

2. I considered making one of my bf for a moment once, mainly bc I found this sculpt that looked just like his face and wondered how he'd feel if I customized it and gave it to him. :lol:

3. This thread honestly made me really curious to see if I could find a doll that looked like me. So I started browsing Alice's Collections and I actually found a pretty decent match. ^-^

Boy & Girl's 60cm Gwilym looks quite a bit like me! The shape of the eyes, face, and nose(while a bit too thin) are all on point. And if the mouth was turned down just a tiny bit less he'd have my natural scowl, haha. I might have to get him some time, honestly.

4. @Princesouffle lucky you! You should definitely get him and explore new experiences with dolls. See if you like dolly role playing ^^

5. @Elvenrose Yeah, I'm very tempted. :3nodding: His size is a bit intimidating though because I don't own anything over 45cm currently. But I do think it would be a lot of fun to have him and make dioramas of my dream house and props from my dream job. <3

If you're looking for a doll-self, I wish you luck!:thumbup

6. When I was 5, my father sent a blonde Raggedy Anne doll, my height, with a matching blue apron for me. That thing sat in the top of my closet for the 6 years freaking me out. Fortunately, I had a Holly Hobby doll (my favorite) that kept her in check until I was older and brave enough to turf her. Very definitely no, thanks.

7. I have dolls depicting my grandmother as a girl, my uncle as a young man, and my brother as a child. I wanted to honor family members who have special meaning to me.

I have thought about shelling a doll depicting myself when I was much younger (I'm 68) but haven't seriously tried to find a doll that would look like me. She'd have to be a much slimmer version of me however. LOL

8. I don't have a doll that is shelled to be myself. I could see it being a possibility if i enjoyed roleplaying, but I don't. I'd say a Soom Super Gem Red Riding Hood is probably the closest sculpt and body to myself (and especially with the long blonde default wig!). Oddly enough I used to own one, but I never considered it to be a representation of myself.

9. I love this idea and have been thinking of doing it. I can't seem to find a sculpt that looks like me, I collect msd. I hope to stumble upon myself sometime in the future

10. No interest in shelling myself or human family members but I could see turning some of my pets into dolls.

11. When my husband died of a sudden heart attack, I was devastated. He was my high school sweetheart so I was not just mourning him but the life we built. In coping for his loss, I did end up shelling 2 dolls to be caricatures of our young teenaged selves. I don't think I'll ever part with them but they fondly help remind me of the good life we had together.

12. @Birju_Lachi that is the sweetest thing I've ever come across in this hobby! He may be departed, but the memories will always stay and live in your heart. ♥

13. not one of myself, but i am currently trying to shell my eldest son into a doll.

I know most moms are proud of their kids and think they are the cutest, but in my case it's not only me beeing a proud mom, the rest of the world seems to think he is cute aswell. My mom thinks he is her handsomest/ prettiest grandchild (and she currently has 10 grandchildren) He has been asked to become a model (he doesn't like his picures to be taken, so no....) Random people have asked him/ me if they could take his picture, because he was so cute (eh no, what the **** do you want with pictures of my son? creepy....) and he has been given random gifts by total strangers on numerous occassions (things like toys and even money to buy toys, because for instance he was crying in a toystore when i didn't want to buy him a certain toy and a woman told me he was to cute to have such a crying face)

He used to have golden blonde hair with long curls/ ringlets which 'helped' a lot in people noticing him
      He 7 years old now and less 'cute' but still people notice him. (this might be because of his still pretty face or the fact that he has dyed his hair firetruck red on occassions ;).....)

Currently i am still trying to decide if i should 'sculpt' him or try to shell him into a pre-existing mold (probably a kanadoll eden because that mold does resemble him a lot, even if it needs some sanding in the chin and nose)
      if i would try to sculpt him myself i would consider scanning my son into 3d and rework the scan into a bjd.
      Fact is i have a very hard time finding the right sort of body for him.
      My son has a 'swimmers body' broad shoulders and small hips which is more the shape of the bigger bodies like sd17 and not the yo-sd or msd sizes i know of
      and because he is very young, he has no muscle definition, so the existing sd17 like molds are far to muscular. (and the fact that he is underweight doesn't help either, he eats heaps and even gets extra protein bars before going to bed on doctors orders, but he is just so energetic he burns all calories apperently immediatly) His body type perhaps comes closest to a sqlabs ksb-l (but then i would have trouble finding a pre existing head to resemble him)

So making something myself is probably my best option, now if only i could sculpt :)

(btw i have a second son 3 years old sweet, bright and funny whom i love dearly, but no doll material, just like his parents, so how our dna managed to produce such i fine example i don't know, but i am afraid it won't last long, that might be the reason i am trying to preserve the cuteness)

14. If I could, and have the excess $ to do it, I would go ahead and shell myself into a BJD doll.
      Except that I'm a straight guy, but I'd shell myself into a female doll.

I don't know, it's intriguing to see how I'd look wearing all those nice dresses. Though I don't really like the idea of the real me cross-dressing.

oh nevermind, I'm complicated. lol

15. I'd be really curious to see if there's a doll sculpt that looks like me, but something tells me it'd be quite difficult... I have sort of a unique nose, and I see so many sculpts with perfect, slightly sloped noses.

Even if I did find such a doll though, I don't think I'd buy it! I'm not sure I'd know what to do with it... plus I think I'd feel kind of narcissistic?

16. While I enjoy looking at photos of people posing with their shelled doll I'm not interested in doing such a thing myself. To me most dolls are so beautiful that there's no way that one of them could ever resemble me (and I don't mean this in a negative way, I find myself attractive but not in the same way I find dolls beautiful.).

17. Shelling myself or a friend or a member of a family seems like an idea that really doesn't appeal to me. I understand it and it could be sort of cool to shell myself into the universe where my characters live. Buuuut then again I'd much rather spend my own money to buy the mentioned dolls instead of trying to find a mini me. I can't say why, though, but I guess it could be that I think my characters are rather neat and I spend enough time with myself already. xD It's the same with any self-inserting actually. I've never inserted myself to any fictional universe but instead created a character with probs some sort of vague similarities but bigger differences. Ofc we always pour at least a little bit of ourselves into things we create, but to me it's never been intentional or the actual end game there. I like the idea of kind of roleplaying or portraying something different than myself, because again I'm me and inevitably trapped in this meat vessel. :'D

Then there's a but. I'm in therapy. I've adapted the idea of an inner child. I feel pretty compassionate towards the little kid I once was facing all the crap I did. So I want a yosd to portray that inner child, maybe only for a short while, to look into this. Maybe it's a way to make an abstract subject even more concrete.

18. I don't quite like myself enough nor other people to shelf them into dolls. And I don't see myself ever shelving a real person into a doll. I just can't see the appeal of it.

19. I am talking like, a mini bjd version of yourself. I have been thinking about buying a doll and customising it to look like me, lately. I was wondering if this is something others have thought about too? I think it possibly has and there is most likely another post about this, and if that is the case then just delete this post, lol.

20. I think I have seen people with miniature BJD versions of themselves. Sometimes even BJD artists will sculpt using themselves or people in their lives as reference points. Would you want the sculpt to look exactly like you?