1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Shelling yourself to a doll?

Dec 17, 2016

1. My bjd's are mostly based off the anime/manga "Outlaw Star". A couple of years ago I made a "mini-me" to be sort of a background character or a customer; but it was kind of a fun way for "me" to interact with the characters. (As well as original characters, and aliens)

I am working on another mini-me. Sort of ending up with an "old me" and "new me". I have a representation of the character of my cat. (Bought after his death in remembrance of him) he's the sidekick to "old me".

I have a male that is permanently a Walmart cashier. That's his entire purpose. (He has a Walmart logo-ed vest, check out counter, two shopping carts, and two baskets.) I thought it was easier than rotating other characters.

I've also made plans for another doll based off of someone I care about. They think it's great, and not creepy. (thankfully lol it's not like these are voodoo dolls! I wasn't sure what they'd think about it. I talked with them and showed pics before buying. Just waiting the arrival and getting to work on it!)

I also have plans for my avatar/mascot/character (elf-self) to be made someday too.

I think it's interesting to see the differences and variety of characters (all of them, not just the mini-me's, the interactions, "personalities" etc.) and having them do their own things as well as group activities.

2. I think the concept of having a mini me is super neat. Especially in the kind of self insert fashion you're doing! As for me, I could never do it. I'm honestly not too fond of my appearance, but it actually might be a cool kind of goal to set haha.

3. For me, my doll is another version of me, how I hope I would look like, the styles that I want to try, but afraid of, or I know I will not look good in.

4. Creating a doll of myself has never crossed my mind. Honestly, I'm not really even interested in myself so the idea seems odd. :sweat Someone might argue that my Iplehouse Mari is currently a clone of me (pale skin, black hair, and brown eyes), but that's not my intent. I would never ever consider making a doll of someone else since it reminds me of obsessed stalker behavior. I'd feel awkward hanging up a poster of a celebrity, so I can't even imagine having a doll based on a real person. If someone made a doll of me, it would be creepy to say the least.

5. I've never considered it, mostly because BJDs just don't do fat and homely. Now that's not a woe-is-me-i'm-so-ugly remark, that's a criticism of the BJD industry as a whole. I like how I look. It would be nice (and honestly a break from the stylistic monotony) if bjd artists started embracing different ages, body types and facial features like other art dolls seem more apt to do.

But even then, I don't think I'd really want to do anything too similar to me.

6. I actually just started a layaway on a doll I'm thinking of making into a mini version of myself ^^;

After reading through this thread I feel a little bad about it though, since I've never seen myself as self-centered in any way, and it seems to be a consensus that it's a bit narcissistic...

I just really feel like this doll looks like me, and it actually made me feel better about myself because my first reaction to the sculpt was how beautiful it was, and then several people I know pointed out that it looked like me.

I actually wanted to get two in different skin tones, and make the other one an OC, but I couldn't afford it :pout:

7. I do get told that one of my dolls looks like me. But I don’t really consider her a mini-me. I do have LUTS tinies that I named after my brother and sister. I like remembering our “childhood years” that way.

8. I've actually had an (accidental) mini-me, in the form of an off-topic doll who resembles my 7-year-old self exactly. And I've never wanted to have an older version of me in doll form, no. But I found an Iplehouse girl who, with her default faceup, is a dead ringer for my teenage goddaughter, who I am very close to and adore. And I really, really wanted the doll for a mini-goddaughter instead.

Then I showed the doll to the girl, who was offended at the idea. So I gave it up.

But I'm still intrigued by the idea. I'm always curious about how people project their own personalities onto their dolls, and creating a resin version of yourself is the most extreme and deliberate example of that. I like seeing these kinds of project dolls, even if I'll never do it myself.

9. My own personality shows up in my characters but my own look not much. I have a bit of dysphoria so my likeness doesn't bring me much joy.

10. while I can understand some people would like this I for one do not feel the need for a mini me in fact I would hate it

11. I...have never really wanted to do a dollself. My bjd crew is comprised of either characters I've created for one story line or another, or based off ones from an existing series. The closest I plan to have based off someone in my life is my DearMine Angela, who'll become a kitty-girl version of my cat Pacifica.

I prefer having characters from fictional universes in doll-form rather than based off of real people or myself. I guess you could say bjds are my reality escape. Creating one based off of me would defeat that purpose:XD:

12. Now this is an interesting idea.
      I don't really have any stories for the dolls I currently have, nor have I really thought of their characters, yet.
      With Alice(AiL Alice), I plan on(kind of already have) dressing her in clothes I can't wear(or too much effort to dress myself up or any kind of events or what now), like Victorian, Rococo, sometimes classic or sweet Lolita. I used to dress in Lolita back in Uni, but now I don't think anyone would take me serious in professional settings if I still dress that way.
      I absolutely love frilly clothes, but I just can't bring myself to put them on myself anymore. This is one of the reasons why I love this hobby, I feel like I can dress my dolls in whatever ways I want to dress.
      However, I wouldn't say I'm "shelling" myself to Alice, it's more of an introspective or reflective thing. I want her to look like everything I want to look myself, but it's only limiting to appearances. In a way, I guess it's kind of like a "dream come true"?

13. I've never really considered it, but it's a cool idea! Kind of like a fursona, but a doll! A resinsona?

14. I've never done that before. I won't do that later. Well, I can understand that if someone does such thing to their own doll as some kind of 'character doll', I think.

15. I'd say he shares part of my personality (also exaggerated), but he's defnitely another person in my eyes. =)