1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Short hair or long hair?

Jun 13, 2020

1. My dolls range from bald to short, medium, and long hair. I don't have a preference so long as it suits them! I've had hair of all lengths. Usually I grow it out, get it cut off and donate it, and grow it out again.

2. I really like long hair, to me it feels easier to style than short hair.

3. It really depends on the character. Mostly I prefer long hair, but I like short hair, too. :)

4. Especially on dolls, I prefer the aesthetics of longer hair. Depending on the fiber, shorter hair can look very fluffy at the roots since it doesn't weigh itself down as much

5. I love trying all lengths and styles. It's fun to try different styles and colors I know wouldn't work with my own hair which is very fine and resists styling. Wigs are one of my favorite parts about dressing up my dolls. :)

6. I really like long hair (on my dolls and real people). Even a lot of my big guy dolls have long hair....and are often mistaken for girls. It’s just a personal preference I guess. I have long hair myself (haven’t cut it in over 10 years) and absolutely hated it when I was younger and had to have it cut shorter. It can be a bit of a pain to deal with though (referring to both dolls and myself).

7. I don't really have a preference for either. It's just whatever fits my specific doll/character :)

8. I find shorter hair easier. Especially if I want to show off their clothes! Many times I have spent ages making a piece of clothing just to put it on a doll and have her long hair cover up all the details :doh

Buuuuuut I do love the long hair for the looks! Especially for certain characters. It's worth the hassle!

9. It depends on their character, but I tend to default to long, because I love long hair, and have long supported the assertion that hair should be "long enough to run naked through". Besides, you can do so much more with long hair than you can with short hair - braid it, curl it, straighten it, wear it up or down, style it elborately, or just leave it be....

My own hair changes according to whim. I grow it out long, suddenly decide to cut it short, then let it grow out again. So, it can be anything from waist-length to short-back-and-sides, depending where you catch me in that cutting/regrowing cycle.

It is currently middling-long but might get shorter soon because I have about six months of regrowth at the roots since the last time I went blonde and I'm considering just trimming it back to my natural colour and let it grow out again from there.... Then again I might use up the two pack of blonde dye I have sitting in the bathroom and take it all back to blonde again... or possibly I'l go back to bright green like I had it a couple of years ago... or... or...or... I think most of my friends think of me as being long-haired because that's the most comon state of play.

Teddy

10. I think for me it really depends on the character. I’d say that I like the long look as long as it’s a fur wig. I’ve found the fur wig really captures the look I like and that the normal fibers are harder to work with for me. In terms of short or long, I think they’re both a lot of fun! My own hair is kinda in between so it’s kind of unrelated. :XD:

11. I love the look of short hair on the girls, but bummer is I really find making short hair wigs difficult

Can someone perhaps advise on a wig artist with nice short hair wigs?

#31 tokidolls, Jun 15, 2020
      Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2020
    12. I love having longer hair on my dolls - i don't mind cute bobs or anything, but I tend to avoid more pixie cut styles for my dolls. To me a lot of the shorter styles make them look top heavy in a way I don't like. I just think long hair is pretty and often floofy and I just love the way it looks! I might try a shorter, curled wig on one of my dolls in the future - but for the time being they all have at least bob-length hair.

My hair itself is a bit long right now (an inch or two past my shoulders), but I had a period of time where I had a very short pixie cut (I used to bleach my hair a lot and I wanted a fresh start to happier, healthier hair). I absolutely hated it and my self esteem was very low during that time. I think it's turned me off of short hair in general for a while.

13. Hm, I have a couple of girls who are bald, to one boy with hair past his knees. His is the longest in the group for the moment. (I have the Volks Rapunzel wig to try out on someone! :evilplot:)

I used to tend more toward short hair. I had a lot of girls in bobs! But now I'm tending toward long hair. My focus has shifted to boy dolls and most of them seem to wear long hair, mid-back or longer. It's just fun to style and braid and drape over one eye. There are some exceptions of course. :)

As for myself, I have had all lengths of hair: undercuts and pixies, to down past my hips, and many things in between. I change it a lot as the mood strikes me.

14. Both! Emie and Lorina have either down-to-the-butt long or short bob wigs depending on the point in their story the doll is meant to be portraying. I think they look cute either way. Ilari is two separate dolls and the MSD kid version has short hair while adult SD has mid-back length, so he's both too.

I've got short hair myself. It's curly and heavy and annoying when I let it grow out and I just prefer not to deal with it. Switched my girls' long wig styles from curly to wavy for similar reasons. I barely even move my dolls! How do they tangle and frizz so easily??

15. If the doll is large enough I love how short hair styles look! Personally? I always go for long hair on my own dolls, I just like having enough hair to play with and style if I wish.

16. Long hair! The longer, the better. My hair is to my waist, used to be longer.

I would actually love to find a silver or white version of Chii’s hair from Chobits! No wigs are ever long enough. My current fave only goes to the knees.

17. I like both! I absolutely love the look of long wigs but I’ve found small bits of hair get caught in the joints so easily and they can look messy if you just blink at them the wrong way lol:| short wigs are more manageable though!

18. I like both, but I usually go with what suits the character I'm making.
      I feel this soooo hard. I need an extremely long black one for the doll I'm planning to base on the character in my avatar

19. I think it depends on the character’s personality, but I prefer longer hair.

The hair stuck in joints is a too real problem.

20. I tend to skew toward long hair for both my boys and girls. Ever since I can remember, I've been attracted to long hair on real people so that most likely influences my choice of hair length for my dolls. Only one has short hair.