1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Short hair or long hair?

Jun 13, 2020

1. Long hair on dolls for me has proven to be more of a hassle than anything. I say, as the doll in my PP has long hair haha. But I've changed her wig now, I just need to update stuff... I find short or medium/shoulder length wigs to be best for me. Brushing long hair is also the worst thing- it always just frizzes it out!! So I stick with short/medium... as well as mostly fur wigs.

2. I LOVE long hair! On other people's dolls. I have zero patience for dealing with long wigs on my dolls. I have like, two. And only because one of them is waiting for her 'everyday' wig and the long one will only be for occasions. The other is a ponytail I just made and I'm crying because I don't know how I'm going to take care of it.
      After that the longest hair I have on my dolls is about shoulder-length. And a lot of them have very short hair.

3. It depends on the doll-- I prefer Vince in longer hair-- not super long, but I tend to like him with something shoulder-length, though he's got a really nice short wig that's his until someone comes along who it suits better. Billy I prefer with short hair, though I've tried him in long hair-- he's the only one who I like to keep short all the time. Pete's got shoulder length hair now but I'd like to play with something jaw-length on him. Marigold I tend to like in long hair, though she's usually in an updo.

Jack's going to need something around shoulder-length, though he might have a slightly shorter 'modern' wig as well, and if I shell his husband he'll be the same, but even at its shortest Jack's hair has some length.

As for me, my hair is so long that if I didn't put it up, I'd sit on it. Like, it can't even be in a low pony without being sat on. So... my tastes run long on the whole.

4. I love long hair. Probably too much lol. All my dolls but one have cartoonishly long hair.

5. I feel like it depends on the face shape, gender, eye color/shape, and the general facial expression of the doll. I like longer wigs for my dolls, but longer hair makes it easier to style, pin up, or braid.

6. I personally love long hair! :chibi
      But I wouldn't say any of my characters actually have crazy long anime hair (usually shoulder length to mid back length).
      Probably because I couldn't stand to draw so much hair!

For my SDs I only have one long wig which doesn't really suit or fit any of my dolls (both existing and planned).

For my YoSD I prefer the long fur wigs over the wig-fiber type wigs.
      Fur wigs are so fun to style and they look cute and fluffy!
      I feel like I would get them all fur wigs if I could get the right lengths and styles :lol:

7. 100% agree with you that short hair helps getting the dolls dressed. For me it really depends on the doll though. I can’t seem to move away from long hair even though it is so much work and requires way more maintenance. I always gravitate to long wigs over short.

8. Variety. Variety, variety, variety.

Have I said variety yet?:XD:

Seriously, though—the length of each of my bjds' hairstyles has been very much dictated by their character. I've got one with short, semi-shaven sides with length on the top, another with super-long straight silver locks practically to his crack, and then quite a blend of everything in between. Hime cuts running just past the shoulders, curly locks in varying lengths and colors. Short, long, wavy, straight, bangs, no bangs—they're all a little different.

My own hair style and length really don't have an impact on the hairstyles and lengths of any in my crew. For myself, I just prefer manageable—long enough to put back to keep it out of my face when I'm not styling it for a special occasion, yet short enough to keep my head from feeling weighed down by that extra hairy heft.:3nodding::thumbup

9. Both on my dolls!! Ness is going to have short hair with an undercut, dacrya I’m leaning more and more towards flocking her head and causing that instead of a wig, because it’s a look. Dia is going to end up woth a loooong braised wig. And if I make chromis, to complete the group, he’s going to have luscious locks. Aura is really high femme and wears her hair waist length, and rowena’s is like hers but fill of flowers.

Mine has never been shorter than two inches past my shoulders, and was past my waist (36 inches of hair!!) before my last haircut. Now it’s roughly to my waist.

10. It depends entirely on the character. Most of my dolls wear short hear. Being guys and pre-existing characters and such. However, one has shoulder-long hair or longer (he can change his appearance), and if the other one portrays an elf, he also wears very long hair. My ladies both have long hair.

11. style wise I always prefer long hair, and I can't even tell you why. however on dolls I prefer a more mid length hair. I used to buy loooooooooooooooooooooong wigs for my dolls, they looked like they had extensions on extensions on extensions. my doll was practically a giant clump of hair and it was tiring.

12. I think I have a good mix of short and long hair.
      My dolls are based on my OCs and I decide the length of the hair based on their character.

I used to had really long hair! When I turned 16 I ruined my hair with bleaching and cut everything off. Now they're shoulder long and it feels more like me to have short hair. They're copper-red what perfectly fits my personality.

13. Long hair, honestly cause I just love brushing it. When I bought my first SD, I actually cackled when I realized I'd get to comb a wig that was nearly as long as he was tall.

14. In my actual collection I have a pretty even split between characters with long hair versus characters with short hair! But boy do I prefer short hair—way easier to take care of, and I’m less likely to spend time making sure there are no fly-away stray hairs during photoshoots.

15. I really love both . There’s no way I would be able to stick to one length haha. Wigs are one of my favorite part of the hobby !

16. Hmmm:huh?: It depends on the aesthetic you are developing for that doll.

17. Most of my dolls have long hair, just like me. It just so happens that I have always liked long hair and can do many beautiful hairstyles. And sometimes with the help of a hairstyle, you can even make a slightly different character for a photo. And my favorite doll generally has several long wigs of different colors so that you can change her image. But I also have dolls of a girl with short hair: but this is due to the kind of character I described for these dolls.

18. Most my dolls have long hair, but that’s because I struggle to find a short wig that I like...I have the image how I want it but just can’t find it. And I’m not a super crafty person, so I doubt I’ll make a good one myself. I really do want a short wig for my cat girl.

19. Short, which is unfortunate because there's only about 3 styles of short wig you can buy without selling your soul for them. :sigh I just think short styles look cuter, plus whenever I have a doll with long hair I get flashbacks to having fashion dolls as a child and immediately tangling their hair irreparably.

I also have long hair myself and I think I kind of live my short hair dreams vicariously through my dolls.

20. Long hair is a bit harder to keep on their head.. lol. Even with a cap, the weight of it means i always need to keep making adjustments