1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Should limiteds or oneoffs be modified or split into pieces?

Jul 3, 2007

1. depends really. i guess it's a limited for a reason but i wouldn't feel bad. I like Volks limited and i want about 2 or 3 of them but i like them how they are. Like Reisner, i like his mold his face up and outfit. But i would change the make up to suit the character i want as the face is too gentle to what i want

But i have not much of a problem to sell outfits. if u want the doll but not the outfit it makes perfect sense to me. If it's important to u then u wouldn't change a thing about the doll, for me i don't like having a doll sitting there looking pretty, that's why i don't get Delf-arts no matter how much i like them and even if i can afford them (i could but i always think... 1 doll... i can bring Cain, Jez AND Yue home...)

I don't want them to sit there looking pretty and not changed. So limiteds aren't my cup of tea.

tho i don't like it when a very very limited scuplt is modded heavily then sold. I always reckon heavy mods are best kept with the person who mod it. Cos it's not the same anymore.

Saying this i don' mean opening or closing eyes. A lot of styles have both type of heads. I mean really really heavy mods.

splits are fine by me, modified is fine. But i just never understand the extra price for modding a limited doll. People who want the modded version, fine by me. But if they intended to buy the limited before the mod and u're selling a modded version, i always think it's better to sell for original price.

2. Yup.

Splitting - Yes! I love limiteds, and I usually love their outfits too... but I don't like keeping their outfits. If I keep it in the original limited outfit, it doesn't feel like "MY" doll. It feels like something that should be behind glass and that has nothing to do with my own imagination or spirit. If I want it to feel like mine, I usually want to get rid of the outfit. I wouldn't really even like to use that outfit for my other dolls, because looking at them wearing it would just make me feel... "Oh, it's my LUNA in her LIZ outfit" rather than "It's my girl in a fashion that suits her ^_^~!!!!". I'm also one of those that loves killing as many birds with a single stone as possible. So if you can make 4 people happy (instead of 1 happy person with extra baggage) by splitting the various parts of a limited, I say go for it!

Modding - Whatever floats your boat ^_^. I love it when people mod limiteds because I admire the guts they have for doing it. I would normally freak if I were to do it myself, because until I'm sure a doll is absolutely, positively, without a doubt, 100% mine and I'll never ever ever wanna resell it, then the thought of modding it is difficult for me because I'd like it to retain it's original value xD. I've already been obsessing about my Suiseiseki and working my hands to the bone for her for the past two months, but I already know she's going to be wiped and re-faced ASAP cuz I can already feel that she's mine <3. My Toppi, on the other hand, is perfect as she is so I have no desire to mod her at all...

3. For me, this hobby is all about bringing something closer to an intended vision. If the mold that best fits with that is a limited or one-off, but other aspects of that don't suit, then by all means - modify away!

4. I think if you own the doll and you want to mod it you have the right to it. It may annoy some who like the doll as is but its not their doll it's yours.

I have no problem with splitting limiteds since sometimes I like just an outfit from a limited and I can get them from someone who split the doll.

Having a problem with splitting dolls is more for collectors and people who are into completion. It depends on what type of BJD owner you are. Are you a collector or a customizer?

I'm more of the customizer type

5. Well, I think of course, it's your doll, and what I think won't make a difference even if you want to take a dremel to a one-off's face. But I don't really like to see really rare limiteds changed. Because there are people out there who really want that doll, all together, just like it was, and if you're modding it, you can always get another doll and make it look like that one. I don't really see the problem with modding Juris or Na-nu-ris, because while limited, it's just a head mold, not really a full set. I guess what I'm saying is-- I hate to see full sets split up and one-off faceups wiped, but in the end it's your doll, and you can do whatever floats your boat. Griping about what so-and-so did to such-and-such limited won't change it :sweat

6. Quite obviously - anything someone purchases is their own belonging to do with as they wish. ;) It can be extraordinarily frustrating when extrememly limited dolls or one-offs are purchased and then split or modded...when another mold/release would have served just as well. :(

I own several LE boys and have sold several others - my personal preference is one of a completist. I like to keep everything together and don't want to split - however, I have purchased two LE dolls that were split or moddified. My Woosoo was modified and painted by Mink and I consider him a OOAK piece of art and have no issue whatsoever with the mods. My Haute Hound came to me doll only and I would have loved to have been able to purchase a complete set but was thrilled to at least be able to get the boy.

7. If the mold is available in a standard, I don't see why you would modify the limited- IE, if the face up and clothing are what *make* it limited, why would you get one just to change it? For example, the limited OrientDoll Jis are limited only because of their outfits and face-up. So why pay the extra for the limited if you're going to toss the outfit in a corner and wipe the face up the second you get it?

ETA: Unless you get the limited and then realize later that it is not right for you, and don't want to go through the trouble of re-buying the face to mod. I can see that.

However, if the limited is *not* available in a standard (the Luts events heads, for example) and it doesn't quite fit the character you want it to be- it's your doll, do what makes you happy with it.

I think the anger over modded limiteds, however, comes largely from people who want that limited exactly as it came from the company but don't own it yet- every time one is modded, their chances of getting that limited as they desire it goes down by one. And when you start out with less than a hundred in the first place...

I don't approve of people who buy limiteds or one offs for the express purpose of splitting them up and turning a larger profit by scalpting the individual parts, but that's a personal opinion. Splits where a group of people go in intending to split up a limited because each only wants one part? No harm there- not everyone can want or afford every whole outfit. Buy a limited doll because you want the limited headmold, then sell off the outfit because you only wanted the head? That's cool, too. Just don't take someone's opportunity to own a full limited they would truly adore away for the sake of greedy profiteering off the parts.

[Perhaps this is a touchy issue for me because of how many gorgeous ancient manuscripts I've seen torn apart into their individial pages, because art dealers could sell the pages as individual paintings for more than the intact manuscript would have gone for.]

8. One of the reasons I go for dolls is because I fell in love with the headmould. All of my dolls with the exception of my Censya haven't got default faceups. I haven't re-faceup'd my Censya simply because I see no need for it. However, I see no point whatsoever buying a limited fullset if the mould is standard and then modding it. If it's a one-off and the modding was well done, that's fine. I see no problem in something like opening sleeping eyes on a limited doll, but drastic things such as over-opening or sanding the features that make the doll unique off, that will raise my eyebrows.

9. Haha, that just recently happened to my friend. She has a MNF Shiwoo that I modded into an Elf for her, and now they go and release MNF Elf Shiwoo! :lol: But in her case, she loves her own Shiwoo the way he is, and his ears are more chunky and shorter than the Elf Shiwoo since he's supposed to be a Halfling. Sometimes I think a mod makes your commenction to your doll more personal - they truly are a one-off then. I could never sell any of my dolls that I have modded for myself (I even have kept two that I bought and modded with the intent of selling them ;)).

In general, I agree with the whole "it's your doll do what you will" theory... however, as a modder it becomes a walk on the fine line sometimes. There was one time that I modded a Limited for someone and regretted it - not that it looked bad, or she intends to sell it as far as I know, but I felt that she could have just bought the standard and I ended up feeling guilty.

I finally decided to make it a stipulation in my modding thread that I won't touch Limiteds except for eye openings, or removable elf ears in some cases. Many limited molds are only available with closed or dreaming eyes, and I personally don't feel that opening the eyes lowers the value that much, since most people even on the resale market prefer open eyes.

As we all know, this goes especially for CP dolls - but on the other hand, most limited sleepy CP's are not as utterly impossible to find on the aftermarket. I take this into consideration too when I mod a doll. Though I do sometimes wonder how many sleeping Elf Vampire Yders are still out there. ;)

As for splitting clothes and items - I had to do this with my Elf I-Ra, as she was only available as a full set, and this was the only way I could afford to buy her. :lol:

That's my 2 cents.

10. I think everyone has the right to do as they wish with their dolls. Sometimes a gifted modder makes their doll more desirable with mods. As for splitting a limited/ oneoff doll most certainly! lol. That's how I was able to buy my Lucas.

11. Absolutely. Whenever I see threads like this, I keep thinking back to how Volks used to release very few limiteds, and that most of the dolls were kits are available as basic dolls because customization was the most important thing. But then they changed it because overall people wanted limited dolls. Oh, how I wish that things would go back.

It can be so frustrating when all you want from a doll is the head sculpt and they're limited and very difficult to get. If you can't quite afford it, it's a great help to sell off the original clothes and eyes and wig, particularly if you had no plans on using them anyway -- like a traditional kimono outfit when you only dress your doll in normal clothes. Not to mention it makes it so that someone who may have wanted the outfit can get it.

So, yeah, I'd say I'd fully encourage splitting up and modding, go back to how things in the hobby were originally intended. I'm still hoping that one day all sculpts will be standard. It is my vision of a Utopian doll world. XD

12. It's your doll, you are free to do whatever you want to it.

However, it has always bothered me when people take a sculpt and mod it to the point where all of the sculpts defining features are removed - like taking a Tohya, for example, and making it have much larger eyes. To me, that's taking away the sculpt's "Tohya-ness", if you will, and I just don't understand it. If you wanted that look, it could be accomplished by modding an F17, who is not limited.

Poorly done mod jobs are annoying, no matter how limited the doll is or not, as is modding for the sake of modding.

13. I wouldn't mod a limited personally. I even couldn't bring myself to remove factory face-up on a non-limited doll.

One-offs? Unless it costs more to find same mold elsewhere, don't see a point of modding it or splitting either. It just seems more financially reasonable to sell the one-off doll and get a regular release.

However splitting head and body of a limited edition doesn't seem wrong to me, unless the body has some unique differences. Because usually it's just a limited head mold and bodies are the same.

But that's all "I would" and "I wouldn't". I have no problem with whatever people do to limited or special or one-off dolls :) If it makes sense to them, then it's totally up to them.

14. I think that if you pay for it, you should be able to do whatever you choose, mod it, split it whatever. I wouldn't split or mod a one-off -but that is just me - since I don't own any I can't really say too much about it. I have had a faceup redone on a limited doll because I didn't care for the default faceup. That may affect any future sale - but for the time being I am happy with my choice and my doll's new faceup.
      Ivy

15. If the only way you can get the sculpt you want is by buying an LE, then by all means go for it and do what you want.

It's a different story if the same sculpt is availible as an unlimited, but that's not always the case, Bermann springs quickly to mind. I love the Bermann sculpt and was lucky enough to get mine in pieces and parts, so didn't really have to deal with his "limitedness" perse. But, if I hadn't gotten him the way I did, and the only other option had been to get one of the limiteds, I would have kept trying for one, and without question, sold off his clothing, wigs and eyes, as my only interest was having the nude doll in the first place.

Conversely, I never would have bought a Haute Hound, as Hound is readily availible as a nude doll. Reselling parts of an LE in this case DOES sort of bother me, as there are other options than breaking up the fullset.

All that being said, the bottom line really is that it's your doll, period, and you are entitled to do anything you want with it, and it's parts.

16. My take on this issue is that it depends on what is making that doll limited. For example, I know the Dollmore Liliths are limited versions with elf ears and half-opened eyes. Yes, I can totally understand people who buy and split them because they want the doll but don't care for the outfit or the painting. There's just no other way to get one and they're trying to achieve their ideal doll.

However, lets says there is a Volks one-off. Well, if you repaint him/her and get rid of the outfit, it's a basic version of the same doll. I notice when people sell these split-up dolls in the marketplace, they're expecting to get more because it -was- a limited, but really, they've already ruined everything that made it limited. I am approximately 99&#37; against taking a extremely limited doll that's made limited by outfit and face-up and splitting it apart.

17. A limited with a new face-up? Yes I'll expect that, but a limited, very rare, HTF Molds that been Modded?(Epoxy/sanded) No, God please no, It wounds me to see any head that was baddly modded. Limited or no. If the modds was pretty-full then that's a differnt story.

It's expesiasly hard to see a Doll that you really wanted/is your grail modded in such a way that it dosn't resemable at all like it looked when it was first released.

As for spliting? I felt very sad for Volks Luna, whom I'm sure many brought her just for the BtSSB outfit she came with. (Then later sold the nude doll.) I saw sellers/scaplers selling her outfit up to $500! T_T

Other limiteds, not so much, I'm mostly drawn to volks dolls and I would love to see their limiteds stay fullset, Expecally the Tokyo boys. It's very rare now to see a second-hand Volks Limited Fullset for sell anymore, it's dissapointing....

Oneoffs, if the head mold can be found anywear, then I don't care, unless it was painted by by a famous face-up artist, and then the only way to afford the doll would be to split it. like buying the the head the the face-up.

But, that said, what the owner does to the the doll and it's items is their choice. I just wish that fullset owners would keep the items the limted doll came with, if not the defult face-up, then the clothing and items at the very least.
      ._.

18. Of course when you have bought the doll you can certainly do what you want with it. That being said I would never modify or split up certain limiteds ( like a Bermann for instance ), because if I buy it it's because I like the artistic vision. Some of these dolls are truly works of art and because of that I feel they would never completely belong to me, I feel a part of it would always belong to the artist who created it and I could not tamper with that.
      As a designer I cringe everytime my boss wants to change one of my designs, so I can imagine how annoying it must be to a doll artist to see their work put up for auction piece by piece before it's even been shipped. There are enough BJDs out there one can modify to express our creativity without modding a limited.

19. I love the F06 mold, but it's a Sato-only FCS. Hiring a shopping service and shipping from Japan would have probably sent the cost up to $700-800, plus a three month wait time. It just wasn't something I was willing to do.

However, there are three LEs who share this head: Lilith, Noel, and Phyllis. And when a second-hand Lilith came on the DoA market for $480, I bought her. She came with her original box, wig, and most of her faceup was still intact. I changed the wig, wiped the faceup, and changed her into a him. I don't regret it, even though I've seen WTB ads for this specific doll since. If anyone objects, I'd recommend directing frustrations to Volks and their product availability. I don't let guilt over some person, somewhere out there, someday wanting an intact Lilith that may have been theirs if I hadn't been so careless affect what I do with my dolls, because I love making them into what I want. So even though I agree that some collectors make downright baffling decisions about what to mod, choosing what to do with one's doll is not a charity event. Do what you like, guiltlessly.

20. Yep. If you wanted to fork out for a limited you should do what you want with it. Modifcations - great. Change the face up. fuss with it. Split it into bits, hang it from the ceiling or put it in a frame, keep it entirely as you got it. You bought the doll, it's yours to do what you want with.

Sure, people might not like it, but at the end of the day I think every single BJD in the world ends up as a one off.