1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Should limiteds or oneoffs be modified or split into pieces?

Jul 3, 2007

1. Some of the comments against modding limiteds seem to come down to "but that's not fair to the people who wanted the doll as it is, and now can't have it." But isn't it at least as unfair to tell the modder that they can't have the doll they want? Why do the people who wanted it default get precedence? In the case of limiteds (as opposed to one-offs), I think that idea is even more unfair, because the people who want the defaults have X other chances to get it, but the person who wants a modded limited is being told they can't have any chances at all.

At lot of this seems to come down to whether you believe that limited are private property owned by individuals, or communal property of which the "owner" is a temporary caretaker. Either opinion has its merits. I personally subscribe to the first. With that, no, it's not "mean" to anyone else to alter your limited. The current owner is not under any obligation to others just because they wanted what the current owner got.
      But, that's just one djinn's opinion.

2. That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Sometimes it feels as if winning the purchase of a one-off for example is more akin to a museum purchasing a piece of artwork. You're not really buying the doll, you're buying the right to keep it at your residence. With that, you take on the responsibility of keeping it safe and intact on behalf of the rest of the fandom. I don't agree with that, but it is one way of looking at it.

3. I am in the middle of the issue. On one hand it does seem unfair to those who didn't get it who would have wanted to keep the doll the way it was. I also don't understand why people would do things like open the eyes of a "sleeping" head (might as well buy the open-eye head, huh?). On the other hand, when you buy the doll you buy the right to do as you wish with it, including selling the clothing and/or body parts. It's their money and their purchase, they can do what they wish with what they buy.

4. I've seen numerous pics of sleepy dolls who had their eyes opened, and they really do look different than the open eyed version--it can give the face a whole different personality. The heads may also have some other feature (elf ears, vampire teeth, etc) that might not be available in an open eyed head.

5. I think as far as "unfair" goes, it probably seems most unfair to artists to see their one-off creations being split or modified.

As for opening eyes on sleeping dolls. Take CP/Luts, for example. Most of the limiteds come with extra "Sleeping/Dreaming Vampire" head. And many people want Vampire, but with open eyes. Also true, that by modding the eyes yourself you can get them to be different shape from the open eyed version of same doll.

6. Im torn on this debate.
      From the point of veiw from someone who would want a limited, unable to get ahold of one and then to find that there is no complete original to buy.

On the other hand seeing as the person who bought the limited spent their money they should have the right to do as they please.
      Though in a way I see this as defeating the object of buying a limited, since they are limited and you buy them because they are so few.

I know if it appeals to you then technically you shouldn't want to mod it. Why not buy a doll that you wouldn't need to mod?

Strangly personaly I think its sad, even though a mod may look good it feels as though it has been ruined.
      Can't say for certain if I would mod a limted for my self or not but I may treasure it for having spent extra money on somthing made specially by the sculptors.

But generally I don't think they should seeing as they are "special", but this wont stop owners.
      I would completly disagree with one offs though because they are too precious. I think most would agree that they wouldn't want those two Black Homme Ducans to be modded?

As for clothes, they don't pose as a really important thing. :sweat. They can be replicated.
      Though seeing as maybe you were after a complete limted set that would be truly disheartening.
      As I said I am torn mostly on this debate.

7. Once you buy a doll, it's yours and you can do whatever you want with it, regardless of its limited or one-of-a-kind nature.

'Nuff said!

Edit: The question of whether it's "fair" to the people who pine for a doll in its original, limited or one-of-a-kind form to change it in any way is irrelevant. It's not the fault of the owner that someone else couldn't afford a doll, wasn't able to get one in the alotted time, or couldn't be there to get one in person. It's okay to be jealous; that's an all too human trait. But to accuse someone of "ruining" something that they own is taking it too far. It's theirs, and if they like it that way, who's to say they're wrong?
      In the case of artist's dolls or one-off's, if an artist doesn't want anything to happen to their work, then they shouldn't sell it. Once you've sold it, it's out of your hands. If I was a one-off artist and found out that someone had changed a faceup I'd done or sold only the outfit...regardless of whether it was the most amazing faceup or outfit EVAR, I wouldn't be mad at that person if that's what they wanted to do to have the doll they really want. The "why did they buy it in the first place" argument is also pretty irrelevant...people change their minds all the time. Besides, the original faceup, outfit, etc. would probably still exist in pictures, which, for an artist who does faceup or one-off work, is all you get to keep anyway. So what's the difference?

8. In theory I do believe that it's your doll you can do whatever you want, However I am having a hard time just replacing my one off's body. I would really love to give her a swarrico body cause it s so much more possible than the SD10 but admit I feel guilty. I have had her for over a year and have not taken her eyes out yet.

9. It's been said that changing a oneoff or selling it's outfit and wig is pointless, since you could just buy the standard edition. But very few of the one offs that Volks releases are standards. Most of them are limiteds or FCS heads. What if someone's dream doll is a Tsukasa, and they happen to win a one off Tsukasa? For some people, the only way they could afford the doll is to sell the clothing and accessories. Even though I understand that part of the one off is the presentation of the entire doll, I don't begrudge a person for selling an outfit of a oneoff when all they want is the doll itself. :)

10. This is a bit of a guessing game for me.

I own a Heath Fullset. The reason why I got him was because he was a fullset. Heath is the first Volks doll I fell in love with, and I realised I wanted him fullset. However, he will be modded and given a new face up. True, this is to fit his character, and he will likely never wear his default clothes. But the rest of his fullset parts will be still in my possession. It is part of the "Heath Fullset" experience to own them. And I admit to being a little miffed when a random person comments to me with "If you ever want to sell your Heath's clothes/crop/boots."

On the other hand, I own a Shiwoo Elf-S, and he has been modded to dreaming state eyes. I've had some peopel remark that they only like open-eyed Shiwoo-Elfs. My favourite remarks are the ones who comment on how lovely his modding is, or that they mistaken him for an intact sleeping Shiwoo-Elf. Most Shiwoo-Elf-S's have been modded to a more open-state by now, where as my guy shows a little bit of his eyes. I feel like I own a balance between a modded and unmodded one.

It all depends on the doll, the taste, and in the end... no one will please everyone. My Phearus (the elf) will be dismissed by some because he is a sleeping, by some because he is not gothic or punk, by some because he has been modded at all, and by some because he does not show his eyes much. Do I owe anyone an explanation? No.

11. I think its fine, really. If you can only get the doll with clothes that you don't like... sell them and get some fo your money back~ ^^

I also think selling heads/bodies separately is fine, since it gives people who want more expensive dolls te chance to sort of own it. (I don't care if I have the original body or anything, but if I can get the head of a limited I want, it would make me happy!)

But as for modding limiteds/oneoffs.... I couldn't bring myself to do it. They're just too... special, I guess. ^^;

12. Often with the oneoff dolls it is a regular mold but it has been uniquely customised by a particular artist or group of artists. There is only one of them customised in that way. They are remarkably expensive and rare. To wipe off it's face-up, sell off it's clothes, switch out it's limbs, lose it's papers or damage it's packaging - can often lower it's original value and sometimes even it's status as a oneoff.
      You might as well buy a Picasso and deface it.

With limited editions however, it is a doll which has been made in limited quantities. It can be anywhere from 10 to 100 dolls which of course effects it's rarity. Sometimes it is limited only due to skin color, or perhaps a small change to the mold like the edition of elf ears, or fangs, or closed eyelids - but the regular version of the same doll may not be limited. (for instance regular version: Bambicrony Roko - limited edition: elf Roko and colored skin elf Roko) Sometimes an edition is limited because it comes painted and outfitted in a certain way.

For this reason - people may just want one aspect of the limited doll - maybe the head or the outfit. While seperating the pieces may decrease the value of the original limited doll it may also increase the value of the popular individual parts.

Is this good or bad?

~*~

Finally, unless a person has malicious intent (especially if they plan to make illegal copies) - what they do with their dolls is non of our business. It's their property. They payed the extra money for it.

13. It's so sad to see limited and one-off modded, when I first got into the hobby I didn't understand the concept of "limted" so I modded my doll and removed the face-up:(. I regret doing it, I would NEVER do it again. I'm fine with spilting clothing, it gives others a chance to purchase the outfit that they love.

IMO once someone pays for a doll they can customize it however they want, (painfully) whether I like it or not.

14. I'm agreeing with this. If it's a doll that has taken some one a lot of sweat and blood to create, then I can see how it might bother them to have some one think that their work wasn't good enough and change it. It'd almost be the same as telling Monet that you liked the concept of his painting but you're just going to make the brush strokes a little less visible and soften the lighting.

However, I don't think people who complain about some one changing a limited because "what if they want to by one in the future?" have a leg to stand on. It seems a little selfish, trying to dictate what some one should do with a doll that they spend their own money on based on what you might want. Some one modding a one-off might make me cringe, but I support their right to do as they please with their possessions.

15. I really agree with this.

My opinion on the matter of modding and splitting the LE dolls depends on circumstances. I really don't understand buying one that has a standard issue and is only made limited by its clothing and faceup... to then sell the clothing and wipe the faceup. If it's a head you can't normally find or is very rare though, I can understand changing it after a lot of thought. After all, I think a lot of this hobby is about creativity and personalization, making the image of your perfect doll into reality. Just selling the clothes I have no issue with, if they're don't suit your character why not let someone who really wants and will treasure and use the outfit have it?

However I'm a little torn when it comes to the one-offs. While I find all the BJDs works of art, the one-offs tend to have their faceups/body painting or blushing and their clothes as what makes them a one-off. I think if you wiped them and sold the clothing, unless it was a one-off facesculpt, it would lose its quality of being a one-off and be essentially a regular edition of that facesculpt (which is why, even though I know we're all talking hypothetically, I find it hard to believe someone would completely get rid of the things that make their doll a one-off if they had a one-off, why wouldn't they just get the LE or FCS or whatever head it is because generally the one-offs are so expensive).

16. i think modding a LE doll would have to take a lot of thought.
      there is the possibility that you could mess up this once in a lifetime doll.
      but in the end. some people have spcific thoughts for their dolls, and they like to mod them to fit this persona.
      i dont see any problem in it.
      i guess i see it as, you have this LE doll, and you, lets say, mod the eyes open or something like that. Well now you have a LE doll that is compleltey different from the rest of them. lol. you know??
      that is whats so great about BJDs, they will all be completely different from eachother, and when you mod them i think it makes them so much more different.

17. I plan on never reselling my dolls, so if I needed to mod them, limited or not, I would go ahead and do it. But if I was in the buisness to make a collection for myself, leave them on a shelf to gather dust, and then sell them one day yes I would keep them mint and together with original clothes.

But as I learned from my dear friend's Bjd; Faceups fade...so what happens when that faceup starts to disappear?

18. I would have thought that the main consideration in doing a mod on a limited edition is the possibility of stuffing up the process and ending up with a ruined head that was difficult to replace.
      Like all dolls ABJds are ephemera and it is impossible to tell how they will stand the test of time. Make them how you want them and enjoy as much as possible.

19. I'll admit I cringe at the idea of modding/refacing/splitting up a limited doll (the exception being replacing a damaged faceup); I have a few limiteds and almost none of them wear their default eyes/wig/outfit often if at all, but I have all their stuff tucked away safely. Why? Heck if I know. I don't ever plan on selling them, so it's not a matter of resale value.

On that topic, though, I'd say that while if you DO choose to mod/reface/split up and LE, that's absolutely your option, you should bear in mind that by and large, an LE fullset is worth more than the sum of its parts sell for separately. If altering an LE makes them more precious or loveable to you, so much the better, but bear in mind that should you decide to rehome them, you probably won't get what you paid.

20. well you know, if you do anything to your one-off's, eyes changed, body changed etc, it's like changing an art piece.
      if i owned an art piece... say a Mona Lisa painting. and i really wanted her to get some eyebrows. if i modify that artpiece, it means Mona Lisa is long gone and no insurance company would pay for its damages.

i think it's the same thing, do it on your own risk.