1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Should She Worry What Her Friends Think About Her Having Dolls?

Apr 7, 2012

1. Well... I do enjoy having "doll friends" on the internet... but I don't really care what people I know (or strangers I randomly encounter) in real life think about my dolls.

I don't carry dolls around in public, but that's more out of worry that I would break or lose them than anything else.

2. I don't really care what other people think about my dolls. I collect many types of dolls and have them displayed all over my home. I have gotten the "I don't think I could sleep with these dolls all over the house" but truly I don't care. I love my dolls, not only as dolls but as works of art.

I don't take my dolls out simply because the doll meets that are around my area are not of the same tpye of dolls so I see no point in taking them out. If I did take them out and I got comments on them I wouldn't care the doll is for me not for them.

They only person I ask about what doll to possible purchase is my BF but if I don't agree with what he thinks I do as I please anyway. Don't get me wrong it's not that I don't value he's opinion but utimitly the doll has to make me happy.

3. This. Yes.

4. If I would care what other people think about my personal choices then I would not be on this hobby or watch/read yaoi, listen to Marilyn Manson (I have many christian friends who think it's wrong to listen to his music*rolls eyes* ) or keep my hair short (some friends don't like it) etc etc I usually ignore close minded people.

5. I'm not looking for approval from anyone, and I generall only have mine out in public while taking pictures of them or during/just after cons. But, I will admit, I don't like how some people who I once had considered friends had verbally attacked me for owning them. I don't care whether they like them or not, but it's not right to tell someone that their hobby is useless, a waste, and "retarded."

6. I kinda care, kinda don't. I'm rather mixed about it.
      I only have use for two dolls [for now...hehe] so I don't get why my friends and family throw a fuss that I'll be spending nearly $1000 on a doll [IF I can get the money in time since he's a limited]. It's my money so I shouldn't care about what they think. When someone insults my doll or this hobby as a waste of money and what not, I get offended, but I let it go because their opinions don't matter. As long as I'm having fun, then nothing else matters.

As for taking them out in public, I don't really unless it's at a convention, to a meet-up or a fellow doll owners house, or photography purposes. My boy is an SD and is rather heavy, so I don't like bringing him around with me that doesn't serve a purpose other than the shock factor. I like having my boy at home just chilling with his plushie [a temporary companion until I get my doll].

7. To be honest, I don't care at all what other people think. Sure it is nice to get prise, and sure it stings when someone ciiceses you, but hey, it's the others opinion, as long as they don't wnat to impose it on me, they should think what they want.
      It's a general statement, because that is how I face life in general, my dolls included.
      There are very few people whos opinion i value and count.
      And sometimes, just very few times, the word "care" is not exactly what I would use. It's more the geting the reaction I want from the people I want with the means I have, dolls included again. Thoes usually make me smile evely....

8. I can't say I'm that worried about what other people think, I've defended my other hobbies before and even fell out with my sister over one, we're still not talking, simply because I won't back down. Either way, I probably won't be taking my dolls out in public, less because of what people will think and more from fear of them being stolen xD

9. I used to care. Then I realized I enjoy this hobby just so much more when I just do my own thing and don't worry what other people think. It wasn't that long ago that I came to this decision, but the last few months since coming to that decision have been wonderful. I've always been able to laugh at myself and my shortcomings in other things (who is perfect, after all?), so I just decided to apply that to my dolls, too. I just enjoy what I'm doing, no matter what others think. They aren't important. I do this hobby to make myself happy - not the doll hobby at large. And if I'm not happy doing it, what is the point?

My friends don't all have to appreciate my collection, and I know most of them don't, but I don't care for them any less just because they aren't doll people. As for meets, I go to a lot less than I used to. I like sometimes going, just to get out and be around people, and talk to the few people I like and get along with, but I find my need to 'show off' my dolls has diminished considerably over time. And I think that's just fine.

Of course, I am incredibly happy when people do take an interest in my dolls and tell me they like them. But I certainly don't expect it.

10. I am too sensitive. I showed my mom a doll I really want and she said 'I hope you aren't going to be one of THOSE people' she loves my first doll, even took it to work with her to show her coworker, but now I feel self conscious about the hobby
      and I don't really know what 'those people' meant either.

11. I've only recently (within the last year or so) come to the decision that if I let myself get too invested in what people say on a hobby forum I will make myself ill. Not that there aren't scads of wonderful people here, even some that I vehemently disagree with on many topics but still enjoy enormously!

But I react very poorly to stress, physically, and when I let myself get pressured to do x, y, or z (just try keeping photos of over 100 dolls up to date!) or get too involved in drama, I simply get ill (chronic illness sucks. I do not recommend it to anyone). Plus, I tend to adore weird, quirky faces and dolls that others do not like, and some of my very favorites are rescues and/or shopworn used dolls. They're just special to me, and I wouldn't expect anyone else to ooh and aah over them.

So like Edtel up above me, with her lovely Red peeking out from the avatar box :aheartbea, I am fabulously happy when I get compliments on my weird horde but I don't expect it. (If for no other reason than I haven't *shown* any of them in eons! ;) )

Babz, me too. But don't let it worry you. We self-conscious types have a place in the world, too. Be happy that you care about things. :) It's taken me over half a century to figure that out.

12. Nope...don't care. I will play with them when and where I want and the weird looks don't bother me a bit. Life's too short to be bothered. Of course I am old and cranky. I might have been more sensitive in my twenties!

13. i find that while i like to read through the threads, and they are entertaining, that i do not care much for all the drama personally. my kids stay in my house mostly and i take few picts of them. and i could care less what people think. that is what i picked to make me happy. not anyone else.

14. Daaaw, thanks :fangirl:

15. I don't care if someone I don't know doesn't like my dolls. I only get angry if that person begins to insult or complian about them - it's a sense of entitlement to be offended at parts of other people's lives which I view with disdain. I've heard of a place where people criticize and make fun of other people's dolls - I mean, really?! I find that so incredibly rude and childish. It sounds to me like being at highschool again (did you see Cindy? She still has her *natural* hair colour. It's so ugly, and I can say that, because my hair is obviously perfect and amazing).

I care if somebody I love genuinely doesn't like my dolls because they're little extensions of me, and I feel like that person doesn't like a part of me.

16. I think this has a lot to do with the area you live in. I used to live in a backwater country town until late last year where wearing a strange hat would get you gross comments in the middle of the street. Liking anything that wasn't conservative made you an outcast.

Now I live in the city where walking around in grey skin paint for cosplay gets me high fives and friendly beeps and thumbs up from people driving past. I feel much more comfortable and safe when I think about taking dolls out, because I know they'd be met with curiosity and not abuse!

17. I honestly don't care. If I did, I wouldn't be getting involved in this hobby at all. I never could understand how people could enjoy their hobbies when they're too worried about what others think of them. :|

18. I don't mind carrying my doll around in public, although seeing as he's a 70cm and pretty heavy I wouldn't do it unless it was necessary, e.g. for a photoshoot. Also fur wigs are a pain, always messing up >_>
      I like this hobby, and I know people go on about all the snobbery and drama - but I don't try and find it, I always avoid it and so far I haven't come across much. I don't care what other people think and my doll is mostly for me, taking photos for personal use and for deviantart and such C:

19. I don't particularly care what others think of my dolls. I bought them for me because they meet the look I wanted/needed them to have. If others happen to like them, cool. If not, doesn't bother me unless they start saying nasty stuff to me about them. But that's more a reaction to the ill manners of that person than truly being bothered by their words.

I do take my dolls out to places outside of meets/cons. I often bring some in to work. I do have some doll friends and they make it easier to talk about doll stuff without having to explain doll-centric things. Out of courtesy, I try and keep in-depth doll conversations to a minimum when around non-doll people. But that's just good manners in my opinion with regards to any hobby. I wouldn't want to be trapped in a conversation about bottle caps or batting stats or the latest commemorative stamps so I don't rope the uninterested in doll talk if I can help it.

20. I'm perfectly up-front about my hobby. I have a hundred BJD pics up on my FB page, and I'm friends with just about everyone who works in my office, including supervisors and my boss!

The only time I'm embarrassed is when I'm out in public trying to take pictures, because people won't mind their own business. lol I don't like being stared at, regardless of what I'm doing.