1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Should you always credit the artist?

Apr 24, 2008

1. I usually use lots of credits for whatever visual elements went into making that particular photoshow..... I look upon my doll projects as glorified fits of accessorizing. I went through the trouble to pick out the right hair, eyes, props, jewelry, shoes, etc. to all go together & co-star in that show. For example, if a show is all about blue, the choice of hair, eyes, and necklace might even share equal billing with the doll; or if a show is about an outfit, that doll is a vehicle for it. And everything might totally change in the next photoshoot I do, even with that same doll, so I run the credits like an episode of a TV serial.

There is also the chance of heading off a hundred queries of "where did you get those shoes?" And some readers appreciate the preemptive shopping-tips.

(Also, writing it down helps nail it in my mind, so I remember the provenance of almost everything I own, right down to the last bracelet. ^^ )

But is is odd, I STILL find I don't always write down the faceup credits. Most of my dolls have default faceups on, so I guess I assume people will just think it's default. If it isn't default, then yes, I will include the credit.

2. Ooooh, that's awful. :evil: That would piss me off too, especially since she said it in a way that definitely made it sound like YOU were the one who did a bad job on the faceup.

Yes, if you're going to credit, please get the details straight! It can really embarrass an artist to be misrepresented, even in a small way. (Though this example is not small.) Even if the altered faceup was beautiful, saying it was done by the previous owner would still be a misrepresentation of their personal style, which could really bother an artist.

3. I don't believe people should have to share information they don't want to, including who did what to their doll. Some people are actually pretty secretive about things like that for different reasons. I used to talk with a woman who would never tell people who asked about her dolls wigs/clothes where they came from because she didn't want other people buying the items her doll wore; in some hope of keeping her doll more unique. That may be rather silly, but it's up to the owner should they not feel like telling people things about their dolls, their family, their pets or themselves. No one has a right to information you don't feel like giving.

Though I plan to credit everything about my dolls later on. I didn't used to, since I never really figured it mattered. But over time I've seen how it can be helpful for people looking for similar items, so I plan to credit everything about the next dolls I get. Who made the doll, the clothes, the eyes, the face-up, etc.

4. That seems a little rude to the artist I think, keeping it a secret. If you like an artist, the nicest thing you can do is to advertise for them. It's not the same as personal info.. it's info that could benefit someone whose work you admire.

5. That was mostly about the clothes/wigs, there are more things to credit than just face-up artists. I do think it is a little silly, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it rude. If you can buy something from a website so can other people, they are mass produced and in no way meant to be unique items. Nothing you buy from websites like those are totally unique, the only way things can be unique is if you make them yourself. I find it odd people try and make it so.

While yes, it is nice to advertise for others who did you a service, some people are uncomfortable with that because it can seem like bragging or they feel like they're just a marketing tool - For this reason I won't buy human clothing that has the brand name splattered across the chest, wearing a shirt that says 'Old Navy' makes me feel like just a walking billboard. I don't know all of her reasons for acting that way, so I can't defend them and it is not my place to regardless.

But in some way I do understand them and I wouldn't call it right or wrong. I was just sharing that as it was something that came to mind when I read through half of this thread. To some people, information about their dolls IS personal because to them their dolls are very personal, is what I was trying to get across. It's their dolls, their characters, and at the end of the day if it is information they don't want to give, they shouldn't have to. Is it nice to do? Yes. Should people have to? No.

6. Most definetly, I'm new here but I would give credit where credit is do. If one is just posting a pic of there doll I don't feel it is neccesary, as long as the person is not trying to take credit for all the work. But it would be a nice thing to do so that if someone sees a specific faceup, clothing, etc on your doll and likes it they know where it came from.

7. I always credit the clothing makers if I'm putting up a gallery post. I do my own faceups, and make some of my own clothes, so I usually credit myself along side the other clothing makers. I like to especially credit clothing makers if the clothes are made by a small company or individual. I think it's a nice way of supporting companies or people whose work you like by spreading word of mouth.

The only things I don't really credit are eyes and shoes... I only mention if someone asks specifically.

8. I'l put up pics and if some compliments their faceup I specifically tell them who did it, or like If I just got them back and I put up pics I credit. Clothes I usually don't remember since I ge tmost of mine second hand or make them myself or from companies. I've done most of my faceups too....

I just feel that if I have pieces of my art out there I want people to tell their friends so it beings appreciation and customers so I can do more good work, not necessarily money, but more work and more happy people I get to work with and dolls I get to handle! :) I esp love doing faceups for people and getting them done and done right so the owner has their dolly all done and is happy with it!

But I also always want to bring work to the people who do GREAT jobs and people who deal well, so I always say who did what, how they were a great person to work with and how to look them up!

9. I feel like for the most part owners who do all the work them selves tend to let you know in their posts and owners who pay for services don't. and if you are really impressed with the look or the clothing you can always ask!

10. I usually try to credit. When it comes to eyes, though, I often forget who the maker is, so I will state 'Unknown'.

I haven't had much of an issue with this, since most of my things I make for myself. However I always state where my wigs come from and I try to state where the shoes come from if I can remember, or if I know.

I recently got a face up from someone so when I snap a picture of it, I intend to credit the girl every time I post it somewhere.

I would hope that anyone who purchases anything from me for their dolls would do the same.

11. I think any artist should be credited at all times. As an artist myself, if my work was off being used by someone, I would want people to know/see my talent. It's a sort of advertisement in one perspective, but in another it's a "look at my work, praise plz" aspect. Not to mention if you come across a dress/face up/jewelery that a doll is wearing and you're like "Hey, I want a similar look to that," you'd have no way of finding out if the owner did it themselves or if they had someone else do it.