1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Should you always credit the artist?

Apr 24, 2008

1. For myself, I always credit the artist I have commissioned in the past. I only have had to commission 2 artists in the past..but I always make sure to drop the artists name in my posts, so people can seek her out and hopefully turn to her if they want a faceup or something else. ^^ Plus as an artist myself...I feel it's the right thing to do, and credit work you have not done yourself.

It's probably a little more difficult to credit where you bought your clothes, because I agree with JennyNemesis, sometimes I think with all the talk of elitism, crediting all of the elements of your doll will be misconstrued as 'showing off'. I just try to answer questions when them come. :)

2. This is a good point, and perhaps a reason why so many people give credit. I haven't had problems with too many people asking about my photos. XD Since so much of my own stuff is either made by myself or really old (from being in the hobby for so long) I guess I just assume most things aren't going to be available anymore, so I don't bother to ask.

3. As a firm believer in the Creative Commons movement (which, for those unaware, works to expand the range of creative works available to others to legally build upon and share) I think there is a difference between building upon and sharing an artists work and giving credit.

For my part, I think credit should always be given, even if your experience with an artists wasn't the best. But that's just my two cents. I guess since its hard to keep track, it can be unfeasible to credit the artist every time, but I think every effort should be made to give credit where credit is due.

4. I agree with this. Oftentimes I personally don't feel comfortable crediting an artist in my Gallery threads, not so much for fear of being labeled an elitist (whatcanya do?), but rather that it might unintentionally come across as boastful. Even typing that last sentence made me feel uncomfortable. If I am asked directly, I am happy to give details, but typically I leave the specifics out of the post. By the same token, I don't expect others to supply such information in their posts - but it's entirely up to them if they wish to.

The Database, however, is a perfect place to post about the specifics and is certainly helpful to others, as Naurhen stated. :aheartbea

5. Aww. If just typing that made you feel uncomfortable, that illustrates how widespread & far-gone the Perceived Elitism Syndrome is... More & more often, I hear people saying the same things you just said. I don't believe I should be held responsible for causing feelings of inadequacy of any imagined audience-member, so that kind of preemptive self-censorship really burns me up. Because you know what that means? That means there's people out there who own beautiful things, things that I probably want to see, and they're not showing them off because they're afraid people will be jealous. Sad! The doll, its face, and all of its clothes/accessories are here to be shown off. That's what a gallery photo is for. And when something is very beautiful, people are going to want to know where it came from.

Besides, if it was really hard to get that OOAK outfit, or LE fullset, or specially-made jewelry, or slot on somebody's faceup-commissions list after a 6-month wait... and I finally get it... why should I stifle my triumph? When I get my hands on something that's been impossible to find, I am stoked. I dance at my desk. I dance while I'm taking photos of it. I want to squee madly to the Four Winds and have them cheer back to me, "wow, good catch!" :) So I write out the full credits. Anybody who tries to rain on my parade will hear some backlash.

(My enthusiasm comes from a successful hunt, as much as the item itself, or its brand. It's not just the having, it's the getting. Fellow-collectors with the "hunter" gene understand, and they often leave a nice comment about it. Shopping is a battlefield-- it's not for the weak or jealous of heart. Yarrrrr! *girds self with Two-Handed eBay Broadsword* ^^)

Always ask! :thumbup Even if it ISN'T available anymore, there is always the secondhand market. eBay. YJ. People's signatures with "FS" links in them. Get as much info about it as you can, & go hunting-- you can find many "impossible" things out there.

6. The first time I post photos of a doll -- of a doll's new face-up -- I'll credit the face-up artist. After that first set of photos, though, I don't bother. And unless an outfit is absolutely brilliant and it's the very first time I'm showing it off, I don't credit the designer/maker, either.

Personally, for me it's just like clothing labels -- I don't like them. I won't buy shirts with logos on them, because I am not a walking billboard. Nor are my dolls. It's the artist's own responsibility to promote their items, not mine. Just because I purchased something doesn't mean I'm required to market it. If I'm absolutely omg in love with it, I may really promote it, or I may not. And that's really the customer's decision to make -- once you've bought and paid for something, your obligation to the seller (artist or otherwise) has ended.

Of course, if someone asks me where I got something or who did a certain face-up, I'll always answer. Same as with my clothing. But just like I won't walk around randomly telling people "Ooh, I bought this shirt at the WhateverStore!," I won't run around posting lists of who-did-what with my doll's photos.

7. I credit in the database, but every time I do a gallery post, I don't feel it necessary to credit the people who did my dolls' faceups, made their clothing, sold me their eyes, sold me their wigs, sold me the doll?, the list of things I could credit could go on ad infinitum. I'd really rather save the credit for the artisans who made my dolls, but I don't even know those individuals' names.

Cauldroness brings up a good point too- one I'm inclined to agree with- it's the artist's responsibility to promote his or her own product.

8. I'm among those who does it the first time or two that a doll is posted. After that, I tend to either forget (especially in the case of clothes) or not bother with it. Like, with Pica, it is obvious who modded him, so I don't worry about crediting anymore... But if someone asks in a reply anything about my dolls, I go ahead and post a reply with the information they seek.

9. This. Though I also credit the artist in their database posts.

10. Like a lot of people have said, I'll credit the artist the first time I post pics of the doll or the outfit, but not in any subsequent posts.

Although, sometimes I think it might be easier to credit the artist in every post (I only have one doll with a custom face-up), because it never fails that every time I post pictures of this doll, people either a) ask me who did her face-up or b) compliment me for doing her face-up. I don't want to take credit for something I didn't do! If someone asks, though, I'll tell them.

11. My dolls both have company faceups (though in one case it's a premium company faceup rather than the standard so I guess it's a bit different). I think... in a gallery thread, it's not really like a fashion shoot for a magazine where the whole point is that on the side of the page they list what brand each item is and what the price is, and sometimes in the back of the magazine they list what stores stock which brands and etc etc etc. I wouldn't open up a photography book or a book of portraits and expect to see information on what clothes people are wearing in the pictures, or if they did their own makeup or what have you.

If it's a database post, if it's a brand new doll or faceup, or a post about "yay I finally got my hands on this limited outfit!" or "Here's this new or rare colour of wig/eyes/whatever, sharing photos for anyone who's curious what it looks like" then absolutely, yes, give credits. But I find it kind of silly to credit everything. In a way it's also assuming everyone will care about every minor detail, which they probably won't. If someone wants to know where you got the wig your doll is wearing or who did the body mods, or anything like that... they'll ask in the thread or PM you, and you can tell them.

12. As an artist myself, I always appreciate it when someone remembers to credit me for something and so in this hobby, I particularly try and make sure I give credit where it's due and where it makes sense.

If I am introducing my doll for the first time in a community-like setting or if I'm sticking his information and photo into a profile page or something and he's wearing clothing or has a faceup commissioned by someone for example, I'll state that his/her clothing/faceup was designed/done by XYZ person.

If the doll's been seen around/posted around with the same faceup or clothing, then since I already gave the proper credit, I don't append that info by default all the time (I sometimes do, sometimes don't and it's honestly a bit of a forgetfulness thing going on there what with the repetition) and I think it's okay to not append it as long as I give the right and proper credit should someone ask.

So I guess even though I make sure to give credit where it's due, I don't necessarily believe it's a 'have to' to advertise who provided what as long as if asked, I tell the truth and give credit and don't take credit for something that isn't mine to take credit for.

13. You'd want the attention on your dolls, not advertise for the clothes/face-up etc so I only tell people if they ask, as simple as that :)

14. Only one of my boys has a non-factory faceup. He's brand new, so has only had a box opening thread to date. I credited the artist in that post, and will probably credit her in the next few, but not every single gallery post I make. I bought the doll second-hand and wasnt the one who commissioned the artist. I dont want to take credit for the faceup, or the commission. But the information is available upon request. So I suppose, just as Iikaya is saying, "credit where credit is due."

15. It is funny Brennil, my initial reaction was "Of course, the artist should be credited!" Being an artist myself and coming from a family of artists, I'm sure this is understandable but once I thought about it for more than one second, I realize that it is actually something I don't do much of. I started to think about where it is appropriate to take the time and space to make these credit references and I think that there are actually very places where it is necessary or appropriate. I realize that I am stating the obvious here but: the database threads are an obvious location, and as are certain gallery posts, various happy dance threads (i.e. introduction of new doll, brag of new acquisition, etc...). There are probably more but that is what comes to mind at the moment. :) Frankly, I surprised myself how rarely I thought one needed to officially credit various artists, it seemed almost counter-intuitive to the concept that had been drummed into me for as long as I can remember, but in this hobby where so many artists can come together in the creation of the final look of one doll, it is almost a matter of self-defence for the owner really, or no one would ever accomplish anything except artist attribution. ;)

16. i don't even have a doll myself, but i am an artist, and i think everyone should always-always credit the person who made the faceup, or a mod, or a tattoo.

17. Well, I dress my dolls in clothes that I make myself and I do face-ups myself too. Wigs are usually from cancan (and their styles are normally recognizable without mentioning). However I do always credit knitted clothes that a friend of mine does for my little resin people, because she's an awesome knitter and I feel so happy to have those gorgeous warm pieces for my dolls :)

On a slightly different (and more global) note - I wish all the companies would list on the sites who sculpts the dolls and who paints them. Not only full-set doll listings (like Delf-Art), but all of them.

18. I almost always credit people at the end of a photostory, for clothing, jewelry, accessories and props - and am sometimes frustrated when other people don't do so. If I have 10 dolls in a story it can be a bit of work to do the credits (especially if you forget where or who you bought something from a couple years ago.) But I've always felt that people would like to have credit stated, so as to support their business. Does it seem like elitism to do this? I mean, my dolls are normally wearing clothing of some kind...why would it be an issue to state who made them? I buy things from people who are just starting out, and from people who are well established - and from random, sometimes obscur places as well - if I like their wares I buy them, regardless of whether they're well known or not.

I usually will only list credits with the first post of a story, and if that story has 4 chapters, well, people have to look for the credits at the end of the first one. I don't want to clutter up the whole story with a chunk of credits at the end of each post. I assume people will be annoyed to have to skip over it, over and over.

But here's the kicker - if you don't list credits - and sometimes even when you do (because people do sometimes skip over them) - people will ask who made this, or who made that - so you end up doing credits for a lot of stuff anyway.

I only credit faceups the first couple of times I post pics of a doll and introduce him or her - or if I do a later Gallery post that is featuring closeups of the face, because it seems appropriate. Other than that, if people want to know, they can ask. I have no problem asking an owner who did the faceup on one of their dolls...and don't expect that information to be under every photo of their doll.

For clothing, jewelry and props, I look at it this way - someone went to the trouble to make a garment or piece of jewelry and it's only nice to acknowledge that. And also, the people looking at your pictures might just like something and want one for themselves...why not give them that info? I don't know, it just seems to be a common sense thing...

The thing I always fall down on is wigs....I have a hard time remembering just exactly where I got a given wig. And because I think of the wig as their "hair", I often forget to list credits for it, because I don't think of it as an accessories or garment... Luckily, people are good about asking. And again, I never mind asking someone if I want to know where they got a wig...

19. I believe that it is very important to credit the artist. They put alot of work into making things beautiful and should be recognized for it.

Of course, posting credits after every single time you show a picture might become excessive.

As long as you credit in the first post, I think that should suffice.

20. I feel when it comes to the faceups the artist does deserve to get recognition for the work they did, it is just the question of if it is best to give constant recognition or recognition when someone asks the question.