1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Should you always credit the artist?

Apr 24, 2008

1. As far as the elitism stuff goes -- that is really, VERY very sad for me to read that people here are afraid of that. I really do think that's sad, and I think people who get attacked shouldn't feel bad... the people who do the attacking are the ones with the problem.

I do see this come up a lot. For the 50 thousandth time...we are all from a HUGE range of ages, situations, etc. I have worked in corporate america hell since I was 23, and therefore, I probably have more income than somebody here who is 16. But there are a LOT of people here who really have some serious bucks, and they certainly have and can afford stuff that I will never come close to being able to own. That's just how it is.

So when people get attacked for what they are lucky enough to be able to afford, it really pisses me off. I wish people would stop that. Also, people don't always know the whole story about a doll or how we got xyz faceup artist to do our dolls when they don't take commissions. How do you know that person isn't my best friend or my cousin or something? People shouldn't have to justify their dolls to anyone. It really isn't anybody's business.

anyway... to end on a happy note... :D

I am a crediting fan. SOMETIMES I forget, like I'll post Jenna and invariably somebody will ask about her, so I try to remember to say up front. And I always put at the end of my posts, even the photostories:

Fashion credits: jeans by annarchy, jewelry by me, wig from kstarr, soom eyes.... like that.

Which also leads me to be just a TIDGE annoyed when somebody will ask me something that I took the time to type out. LOL. Of course it's not a big deal, but when they go "those jeans rock! who made them?" it's hard not to take that kind of snarky tone where you go "as posted directly under the picture, her jeans are by annarchy" *_*:|(ya doofus).

Like that. LOL.

So much of what my dolls wear was made by people here and I have no problem doing a little free advertising for my fellow dolly lovers. :)

2. For me, if I see uncredited pictures, I actually assume the person posting the pictures *DIDN'T* do any of the work (faceup, clothes, mods, what-have-you) on their own.

The only time I credit artists in my gallery posts is if I've taken the pictures *specifically* to show off their work... otherwise, I don't credit... because I figure if people see it, and reaaaallly want to know who made it/painted it/modded it, they'll PM me and ask... and I have no problem, what-so-ever, sharing my sources!

Usually though, I take pictures specifically to post in the artist's thread... so that they can have further showcasing of their work there.

3. I am just getting things done by face up artists as well as buying clothes made by people outside of stores. So I will need to make notes who did what or made what when I post my dolls. I will try and give credit where it is due. After all my dolls wouldn't look as good with out some of these things. Just hope my pics improve as well. : )

4. I don't know about the whole make up and people not assuming that it was done by them. Wouldn't it be more common to credit another artist than yourself. I guess I still believe in people being humble about their own personal achievements.

5. I don't think it's absolutely necessary to always credit every single item in a photoshoot, especially since the shoots are usually small, personal ones and the photographer obviously owns all of the items (sometimes, giving credit implies that the credited items have been donated or loaned for the purpose of the photos).
      If they were photos featured in a publication or magazine... that's another story ;)

Personally, I like to give a little list at the end of my shoots saying who made the wig/dress/face-up/shoes, because it's fun :3

But I don't think any less/more of shoots without a list of credits.

6. When I first introduce a doll that has an artist faceup, or a new clothes made/altered by someone in the bjd community, I always give credit because I feel this is very important (and I would like other people to give me such credit if I had done the work). Also, as Doll-Mage said, if someone lends me a piece of clothing or a wig, I give credit to that person. I think it's a way to thank her/him.

But for the accessories made by companies though, I don't do it. These are mass produced, and if someone wants to know where I bought this wig or this clothe, they can ask me and I will gladly tell them. If in each gallery post we stated the origin of all our dolls parts, it would take away a lot of the magic I think?

7. I always credit the face-up artist when I first introduce my freshly painted dolls as well and to anyone who asks thereafter (I love it if the artist can get more business from someone who admires their unique and amazing work on my dolls!). I definitely want people to be given credit where credit is due so I always make especially sure to remember , especially with first introductions of a doll to make sure people know where the talent actually came from. As far as clothes and accessories...if the dress or wig or whatever else is really special to me, I'll give credit but to have to do that with every single item every time I post a pic would be a bit much. I figure, if someone wants to know more about the details, they'll PM about the specifics. There are so many dolls in this world, I don't really assume anything unless I'm really fascinated about something and need to ask. So far, I've found that people are quite happy and generous about sharing information.

8. I don't know about should but I think it's a nice thing to do.

I'm usually so proud of myself for getting around to posting anything I almost never remember to leave credits. I only think to do it when something is being featured for the first time and made by somebody from DoA. I don't think Volks or Dollheart really need the extra help from me. I'm always more than happy to tell someone where I got something if they want to ask and if I can remember where it came from. :sweat

9. I don't tend to credit in gallery posts, but will happily give the information if someone comments specifically on the outfit/wig/faceup. I do however, like to add that information in database entries since they're more informational anyway. I figure a lot of people go through databases to see what different things they can do with a specific doll and what looks good on a specific doll.

About the elitism thing: I don't think I'd let that stop me--not that I have much that was actually hard to get, lol, but hypothetically speaking, if I have the cash and the oppurtunity to grab something I really want, I don't see how it's anybody's business. Nor do I get upset if someone has more money or oppurtunities than I do. That's just the way things work, and it's nothing that anybody should be getting upset about. If someone is upset about a poster having some rare expensive outfit or faceup, then they need to calm down and get their priorities straight.

10. I wouldn't post credit for the face-up, since those are really factory made anyway. And unless my outfit is hand tailored and isn't the original clothing she came with, then I may not even give credit even then. I may mention it, but only if I remember.

If someone else took the photograph, then I would probably most definitely give credit. Because I take photography and I usually take my own pictures, so if someone else took the photograph I would give them credit

All in all,

Face up: Never.
      Clothes: Occasionally.
      Photograph: Always.

11. Oh yes, I agree with you MadnessHearts about not really giving credit if a face-up is factory made...I'll explain what doll it is but not so much the face-up. If, however I have a doll that's been specially painted up by a favorite artist of my choosing, I'll always give credit the first time I introduce him/her.

12. deffinately you should credit the artist for there work..dont you feel guilty for not doing so? i would definately give credit to the artist that does my doll face up, so far i did my own face up for the doll to however i like it.

13. Face up and customizing commission is something really common in certain
      BJD regions. It is very uncommon to credit the artist - face up
      in this case- in ordinary pictures you post in the forums and web journals
      unless you are the artist.

However there is an exception..
      Nowadays, people write down the name of the artist in the Profile section of
      the homepage they have or on the first picture thread of the doll you post after the
      head returned from the commission. (for eg. database purposes)

I agree with Darkrouge.. you don't really have to mention the artist
      every single time you post a picture. If that starts to happen,
      you'll probably have to mention the costume designer, the company
      that owns the copyright of backdrops you've used etc. It's endless.
      Just be clear once and get it all done with. It's ridiculous.
      If people asks, then you can mention it to clarify.

Once in the intruduction or profile is good enough I guess, unless the
      artist specifically asked you to be mentioned every single time you
      post the picture of the doll he/she worked with. - and I don't think
      I would like to place a commission in those shops even though
      the artist was Robbin's Egg or something. -

14. I always like knowing who did the faceup, even if it's the factory default. Perhaps especially with default faceups, it's useful and shows the variation that can occur. And if someone searches for default faceups from a company, the entry would appear. Of course there are databases, but searching is useful too. I often do searches for clothing and accessory makers too; if more people added credits to their gallery entries, it would be helpful for me.

Very few people seem to have faceup artists credited in their profiles. If the artist is only credited the first time someone posts photos, it seems to assume the viewer's familiarity with that person's dolls. I don't think anyone but my close friends keep track of my dolls or gallery posts (and even then...), so it makes sense to me to give credits each time. (I can imagine multipart photostories would be an execption, but I don't post them.)

15. I don't post pics often anymore, as I'm a little burnt out, but nowadays I like my posts to be about what they're about, and leave all business matters out of it unless it's relevant to the conversation or someone inquires - I suppose because there's such a prevalence of advertising from everyone around who makes stuff, 24-7, that I get really sick of it and try to separate myself from time to time. It actually hampers my enjoyment of pics and posting and the community, but it can't be shut out, or even really condemned, since I have a business myself and I'd be stupid to shun exposure. But it just makes me so tired. I'm of two minds because I do appreciate it when someone posts something I've done - it makes me really happy, in fact - often picks me up from whatever sadness I'm feeling. So if someone were to ask I'd certainly answer, and try to give praise where I feel it's due, so maybe I can make someone else happy. But no, I don't feel a responsibility to credit. Perhaps if I did doll-introductory posts and didn't paint my dolls myself, I'd credit faceup artists, but it's moot. And I never assume anything was the poster's creation unless I recognize the style. In fact, I often take for granted that the look of any doll came from a number of different sources, great variety being what I like about these dollies and wares.
      I also assume that if anyone wants to know where something came from, they'll ask. I do...though most of the time, after years of looking at tons of pics, I recognize where a lot of things come from.

To the OP: why were you wondering?

16. I'll credit the big things, complex full outfits, large props and such no matter how many times I post them. I'm not going to credit smaller things like "pants from so-and-so, socks from... etc" unless it's something rather special that the photoshoot is intended to focus on. If someone asks about things not credited, I'd certainly tell them.

If I'm proud of something I acquired/made myself/received as a gift/commissioned from others I'm going to say who did it and I don't care if it's perceived as elitism. [I'm another who wasn't even aware that people feared crediting because of that...]

The kicker is, even when I post at the beginning of a thread in big letters who made what, people still ask about things I already credited. I find that to be annoying.

17. Yeah... I think its pretty important. I mean no-one in their right mind wouldnt brag if they had a doll with a pepstar face-up. And its like any other art form, you dont presume that if someone has a painting hanging in their house that they did it...? If someone has taken the time and effort to create a face-up, a set of clothes or even an accessory I think that its a fundamental thing to credit them for their hard work

*steps off soap-box*

LOL :)

18. I credit artists if I'm taking photos specifically to show off a faceup or a piece of jewelery/clothing I bought, but posting credits every shoot is redundant.

19. I wish everyone would put credits at the end of every picture. I like to know exactly where they got the faceup, the clothing, what kind of eyes and wigs etc. This way I don't have to make unnecessary posts asking about them questions regarding those things. I don't see it as "bragging" if you have a nice faceup and credit the artist, its just courteous. As the post viewee, I want to know who did the faceup so I can contact the artist if I like their work.

20. I don't assume anything when I see an image. However, I also don't know that I'll specifically credit whomever did the work, just because that list might get long. But, I would DEFINITELY credit them if asked. IE I put a photo of a doll up with a tattoo, face up, clothing or whatever done by somebody else and get asked, 'Who did x?', I would certainly relay that on to whomever asked, complete with links etc (as long as I can remember who did what). I love to 'sell' people who have done good work for me and art talented. An artist is an artist and deserves their credit.