1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Should you always credit the artist?

Apr 24, 2008

1. I credit things where I know them. I don't go so far as to credit wigs and eyes, or company face-ups and clothes, unless I think its likely to come up. Hand-made details I generally do.

As a person who has done a bunch of face-ups and made outfits, I do sometimes search for my name on here to see if people have posted their dolls, but either they don't, or they don't credit. I've only found a few.

2. I think I would credit things like the face-up of a doll should always be given credit to the artist and the outfits. The other items like the eyes,hair I would'nt post unless people ask about them often.

3. It's probably not practical to name everyone. However, when a gallery post is something like: "my doll has a new faceup" or "my doll has a new OOAK outfit"... then I think the person who did it should get credit, after all the photos are mostly meant to show their work.

4. I pretty much always credit everything in a gallery post, the doll's maker/sculpt, the artist who painted it (oops 99.9% of the time it's me because I almost always paint my own dolls), the eyes and wig, the clothing and shoes.

As a faceup artist I don't mind being credited ^_^" But I won't get huffy if it doesn't happen, haha.

Raven

5. I was just going to say the same thing! I always try to credit if my doll has something new or particularly fabulous and I'm taking pics mostly to show the work.

Likewise, I really appreciate getting credit for the same reason and am always happy to see it, not that I mind not getting any either. But isn't it weird to say "my doll has a new -whatever-" and then not say who did it?

6. I think that it is important to credit if asked, or if talking about the faceup or mod. I do not think that it is needed in every single post about that doll. If someone wonders they can either ask or look at other threads of the owner. It would be a total pain to say it in every post, when that is not what the post is about.

7. After reading some of the newer posts in here, and the comment that only posting faceup information in the introduction post of a doll suggests a following or familiarity with that doll that might not be there, a thought occured to me.

One place that it really *does* bother me to not see info on the faceup artist (even if it's company default) is in the BJD Database thread. I go there specifically to see variations of a certain mold, and if one is outstanding because of its faceup, I want to know who did that faceup.

I think if everyone would bother to credit faceup artists in the Database threads, that would be enough, because then you have a constant, consolidated source of faceups to browse through.

8. I feel the same too. I credit everything in the database.
      I do credit the things i get from individuals usually in the galleries, if i buy from some one here in DOA i pm them the link to the gallery thread of my photo shot including their creation credited. I credit the outfits usually too if it was from individuals or company.
      Edit: I do not assume that the face up or the outfit or what ever in the picture is the owner creation unless is stated other wise.

9. Agreeing with WLF.

I tend to put the face-up information in my crew's database entries... I don't typically mention that information in Gallery posts.

I also don't tend to list off credits for wigs, eyes, outfits, jewelry or props used in a set, *unless* it's something that I feel like people will ask about in the thread... A set of Syrinxfox's wings, a commissioned jewelry piece, a really unusual prop, Nightengale's ears, or that sort of thing...

If anyone wants to know about the more mundane stuff, I'll certainly tell them if they ask, but I don't make the default assumption that anyone is interested in knowing the origin of a fairly basic wig or a run-of-the-mill costume.

10. If I know the artist, then I will credit her, but a lot of times I don't know her name. What would be really cool is if artists would sign their work (inside the head of course), this includes the ones that are painted by factory artists.

11. I would credit but my only bjd was a gift bought second hand on the marketplace here. I do not know who to credit. I think my girl has a tinybear wig, and default faceup but I wouldn't want to say she does if I'm not sure.

So, sometimes people may get a doll second hand with a faceup/outfits/wig/eyes etc. that they want to keep, but that they are not sure of. I do not think it is their fault if they don't know (as long as they don't claim it is their own work). :X

12. I never really credit in my posts, mostly because I forget. :sweat
      But when people ask about something, I gladly tell them who made it and/or where I got it. :)

13. What WLF said makes sense to me. I think credit should go into the database, simply to make information gathering easier. I don't think it's necessary to provide credit in every thread, only because for some, it can be a very long list and can get tedious. And personally, I don't assume anything about who should be credited for what when it involves someone else's doll unless I can recognize the work myself.

14. I usually try to give credit for patterns I've used. Most of the patterns I buy have printed on them a request to do this. But it depends on if I've used the "straight" pattern or just used it for a general size.
      Also it depends on how much time I have to do the listing. Sometimes I just "slap" a listing together because i'm tired or I start to get sick of the outfit i'm working on and want to get rid of it! :lol: LOL
      Mary

15. For me, I normally list the doll make & mold with my photos, but unless I am specifically sharing photos of a new face up or wig, I don't list full credits. If people ask about something in the photos however, I will always share who made it since that is only fair to the company/artist.
      I don't fully understand the 'elitism' issue that has been mentioned here, but I don't doubt that it exists. I just feel that some people can afford the more expensive dolls/clothing/accessories etc and others can not. Seeing them sharing photos of these items doesn't make me jealous. I see it the same way I view the guy driving past me on the street in an expensive car. It doesn't mean I couldn't have a pricier car then I drive, just that they choose to spend their money on that car while I choose to have a car that works fine for me. Maybe in the doll world some people reeeally like, for example, BTSSB and are willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a dress from that maker. If they excited about it and choose to share their photos with others, I have the choice whether or not I want to view the photos. But I don't feel others have the right to make them feel bad for posting them. What fun would it be if we couldn't see some of the rare dolls because the owner was afraid others would judge them for owning it?
      Maybe I am missing an important point about the issue, but I just don't feel that way about other's dolls. IMO they have the right to post pretty pictures and most of us want to see them. :)
      I do agree that artists should promote their own work, which is why I haven't yet marketed a Wicked Stitchery tee shirt, but that doesn't mean I never will. Lord knows I own enough clothing with "Old Navy" printed on it somewhere. lol

16. Ah yes, I'll agree with Wee_Little_Faerie that the database is a perfect place to have the information stored with all the details about the doll's mold and face-ups. It's true, not all people will know who your doll is after first introductions so having the details in the database is nice for people who would like to know more. That's something I'll need to get around to doing myself for future reference!:)

17. In my Opinion...Yes, always try to credit the Artist, many others who admire and want something like your style of face-up will know who to contact. Their are many Artist's out there who's works are just Awesome but don't have a following yet, so getting the word out helps all.

18. I'm the same way. I'll make mention of artists if the shoots are featuring something in particular by them, but often, that's not the case. However, all of my dolls have profiles on my website that give full credits for both their current and past faceups.

19. I think I probably wouldn't credit for each thread or photo, but have a link to a credits page...I'm not sure though. Most likely, I'd say that everything was done by others except for a, b, and c, and if anyone wanted to know who did what, I'd tell them.

20. As an artist, I have been on both sides of the field when it comes to the credit issue. Back in my costume days, I made a very detailed military-ish costume for a really good friend of mine. When the con finally came around, I found out that he was telling people that he made it himself. Needless to say, he's not much of friend to me anymore. Crediting is up to the client, as it should be, because it still comes down to business. However, lying is just flat out wrong. If someone ask you if you made such-n-such and you didn't, you have no right to say you did. End of story.