1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Should you always credit the artist?

Apr 24, 2008

1. I don't think it's absolutely necessary to credit all the time. Just don't take credit for work that isn't yours, and don't conveniently allow people to believe that you did that work because it amounts to the same kind of deception. For example, it's fine not to mention the artist who did your doll's face up. But if someone comments "Wow, you did a fabulous job on that faceup!" I think you're honor bound to reply and tell them that it wasn't you, it was the work of such-and-such artist.

I like it when people credit, because that's a nice way to find out about good brands, artists, etc. But I understand it might become a hassle or just cluttery or you get sick of posting the same info over and over again.

2. I've always felt that it's a bit tacky listing all the artist that painted/made stuff for your doll in a gallery post. It makes me feel like the owner is a bit of a show off. I never even read that stuff because, honestly, 95% of the time I really don't care. If I want to know who did what, I'll ask.
      I don't mind people mentioning artists if it's part of the post. Like for example- the thread title is "[dolls name]'s new wig" and the text in the thread is "I bought a new wig for [dolls name]. It's by [company name] ect...."
      So if the post is about the item then it's OK to mention who made it but is your just listing artist for the sake of it, that's just arrogant.

3. LOL I guess I am arrogant then:lol: I always credit the artist who did my faceups at the bottom of my pics. The reason I do it is because they are artists and what they do is art and if I own a piece of their art I sure as hell am going to acknowledge them when I post pictures of it.

As far as "bragging" goes? First off I haven't heard that term since junior high but I'm a grown up (a Grandma even) and I don't need to "brag" about anything, I work my ass off to afford what I have.

I take pictures of my dolls and give out information to share with others, not to "brag". What's the use in having beautiful things if you can't share them?

If someone looks at my pictures and is jealous because I have a faceup by a certain artist? They need to step away from the computer and seriously rethink their priorities.

4. First of all, this has nothing to do with jealousy. Your dolls could have the most beautiful faceups in the world and I still wouldn't care who did it and I would never be jealous of another persons doll.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but, so what? I don't need to go around telling people if I've worked hard for my dolls, I'm pleased with what I have and thats good enough for me. I post pictures because I feel like doing it, not because I have to prove something.

So your saying that this statement isn't bragging?

5. Arrogant: The doll pictured is a rare Such-and-such, limited to three in the world. I paid $6,000 for her on auction. Not to mention the clothes, which were commissioned from rare maker So-and-so, who doesn't normally take commissions, but I then have such good connections. The faceup you will obviously recognize as the work of Artist X, whose work was recently featured on the cover of Blahdolly magazine.

Not arrogant: The doll pictured is a Such-and-such painted by Artist X. Clothes by So-and-so.

It's just information someone can choose to read or ignore, same as listing 20 dolls in one's signature.

6. I think sharing beautiful things is great... and not bragging. :) I love seeing people's beautiful dolls and clothing. I also like knowing who did the faceup, and if the outfit is unique I like knowing who made it.

I think it's nice to credit an artist, even though it's not necessary.

From a purely selfish point of view, I also like to know who did the faceup/clothes/eyes/wig sometimes because if I like it enough, I may look into commissioning someone or hunting down other works by that artist.

7. I think to me it just seems so cluttery. I'm the type of person who doesn't really like to give away information until its asked in most cases. Whenever its a big wall of text anywhere be it the signature or under a picture I do skip it.

8. I come from a completely different public image posting background, where it's expected that sources for items in any given image will be listed. As a result, I don't see this as showing off at all, but instead giving credit where it is due for components of an image or piece of artwork if one didn't create them oneself.

It's interesting to see such a different perspective on the issue.

9. I consider my dolls works of art so I do care who does them. Personally I am always interested to see different artists faceups and to know who did them in case I might want a doll done by them. I am certainly not jealous of the person who is posting the picture, I am happy for them and grateful they are sharing their little pieces of art with us.

But you don't explain why you "feel" like doing it? You just randomly post pictures? Theres no reason at all? I agree about not proving something, LOL I don't post pics to prove something, I can't even imagine what? I post them as an artistic hobby.

Sharing is bragging? What is the purpose of this board then? So you say you aren't jealous of other peoples dolls but you think anyone who shares their dolls is bragging about them? Hmmmm interesting. Like I said I am always grateful to see everyones dolls, from any artist, because I appreciate their beauty as an art form.

I guess we just have differing opinions of ball joint dolls, I see them as art, not sure what you see them as and thats ok but as for me I'll keep on crediting the artists of the faceups, eyes, wigs, clothing.

10. :bumping this thread because I want to add to it and ask another question...

[This is a very pointed question - because I'm VERY annoyed]

if you purchase a doll that is made as a unique piece by an artist, should you credit the artist in the same way you would if you have purchased a doll from a recognised BJD company like Dollshe or Narindoll or Cerebrus Project etc??

eg:
      gallery posting titles: "John-Doe doing whatever - Hound" or
      signature list: "Jane-Doe - Narae"/"Jane-Doe - Moona"/"Jane-Doe - Artists Name/company name"

I ask because I for one believe it should be done, and like a face-up or a unique commissioned outfit/cosplay;the artist has worked their a** off to create something and in turn receive a small but significant amount of exposure to help further their work and by withholding information about a dolls maker cutting off that exposure and failing to give the correct and rightful credit...

(I'm pretty annoyed :lol: can you tell.....?)

11. I tend to assume that the faceup was doen by a faceup artist or the company the doll was bought from, unless the post says otherwise.

I'm sure that, like me, some people have no idea who did the faceups on soem fo their dolls (bought on the secondary market already painted etc.) and even if they do know, see no reason to list it every time a picture of the doll is shown unless it is the actual reason for the picture being posted.

Teddy

12. Would I mention it somewhere in the text of the post? Maybe... It would depend on what the artist in question did and how vital or interesting I thought that information was in the context of that particular photo-set. I don't, for instance, mention in every single post of Nightengale that Armeleia did his ear mods. When I had my Juri '05 mod, Shakti, I didn't mention in every post of her that Vitta Vera did her face-up. If asked, I'd gladly share that information, but after a doll's introduction, I don't see a reason for it to be an automatic inclusion.

Would I put that in every thread title? Sorry. No. Not a chance... While I can understand that you're proud of your work and want kudos for it, that's getting into "too much information for a headline"-territory. Titles are short summaries, not complete biographies.

Personally, I'd say that if you really want publicity and atta'boys for your work, put it in your portfolio... Demanding that owners you've done work for mention you every time they post the doll probably isn't going to work out very well.

13. hmmm I think I've been mis-understood.

I wasnt referring to the receipt of praise but the manufacture of a doll. as per my examples above is it right to leave out the make of a doll purely because its not from a company or professionally cast?

I am referring to correctly identifying a doll, and as far as "short summaries" (thread titles) go are we not requested to include the make of the doll in the title? I'm not sitting here getting up in arms for not getting an oscar or having a tantrum for not being worshipped by the masses.... don't get me wrong, its a simple question of identification not glorification

Not talking specific mods, or anything of the "I did your face-up so you have to put my name next to EVERY photo of your doll" I do think that is massively excessive... I meant more along the line of accurately labelling a doll with its make and model or just model you know what I mean? like CP-EL "name", Lati Red-M "name" AND applying that same rule to a doll made in its entirety not just a bought doll modified, but a hand sculpted, then cast ,then sold doll and labelling the doll as an artist sculpt?

14. I like reading credits because I'm always looking for new, pretty things so when I see something beautiful, I like reading who made it/where I can buy it. I found out about a lot of lovely eyes/wig/clothing makers through gallery credits. In return, because I like reading credits, I also post credits. It has nothing to do with arrogance or bragging, just with sharing information. I didn't even realize this could be seen as elitist..so I hope people won't stop crediting because of this thread ^^''

I think maybe we should take things a bit less seriously. So maybe someone credits to brag, so maybe someone is elitist. Who cares, really? It doesn't hurt you, just look at the (pretty, maybe) pics and click the back button. You love your dolls, right? Then what does it matter if they don't have big names attached to them? Don't feel so threathened by everything. Crediting, price, obviously having a company preference, originality vs characters, what does it matter really? Enjoy your dolls. Maybe that is too simple, but I don't see the problem. So maybe a person on the internet thinks your doll is not as good as hers. So? You like your doll. You're proud of what you did with your doll. Be a bit more confident and you'll find you won't care nearly as much. It saves a lot of energy, too ~_^

We're (mostly)adults playing with dolls. Taking it too seriously takes away the charm, I think. Sometimes, I feel we treat this hobby too much like a competiton.

15. Most people posting in the gallery do include the doll's sculpt in their titles, no matter who made the thing... but there's no requirement that they do so. It's not a "rule", nor should it be.

16. true true, I never stated that it was a rule or a requirement. Only that as the topic of the debate asks I believe that "the artist" should be credited in the following circumstances:

1. If a doll is made by an artist it should be correctly labelled as a doll made by said artist. No epic story or autobiography needed just a simple label.

2. If the posting is relevant such as an introduction, a photo story focused on a relevant feature then the artist of the the relevant feature ie: clothing or face-up deserves a discrete mention not necessarily a neon banner. and

3. It is a simple act of courtesey and idealy applied in a suitable manner.

This is not about the owner/artist being big-noted or bragging or elitism, it is about enjoying being adults and playing with/displaying dolls and its also about an art form and the artist who create them.

17. I don't think a gallery is the proper place for crediting everyone-after all, when you look at a photographer's portfolio they don't credit where they got the materials they use in their photos-or the clothing their models are wearing (unless that adds to the interest). When a company makes a commercial they don't reference the designers that made the clothes, or the makeup artists, or the hairstylists, etc... etc...

Of course if someone asks people should be honest, and should have no reason to withold the information -.-!

18. That's a REALLY good point, I hadn't looked at it that way mind you. I agree maybe the gallery isn't the place to credit artists for face-ups etc... but what of the labelling of the make of the doll? Do you think that its a courteous procedure (almost everyone does anyway) to list the make of the doll? (referring to signature lists and photostory labelling)

edit:
      I'd LOVE to continue this but its 4am and I have to be at work in 4 hours lol. dollies, look what they make us do...lol

19. Personally... I don't think it's critical to credit the artist EVERYTIME you post pictures of your doll. When you first post them with the new face-up/outfit/accessory/etc... then I think you should credit it. "And thanks to -soandso- for -suchandsuch-, we love it!" And then afterwards it can go as a given. Then, of course, if anyone asks, you answer truthfully. I don't think it's morally wrong to not credit the artist... I think it's wrong to claim that other artist's work as your own.

If I made something for someone, then I wouldn't be upset if I wasn't credited in every gallery post. I'd only get mad it they claimed that they had made it.

Besides, could you imagine how long some of these credits would get?

"Custom wig by
      Eyes bought from
      Shirt made by
      Skirt made by
      Bracelet on left wrist made by
      Face-up by
      Body Blushing by
      Tattoo on right ankle by
      Ears by
      Wings by
      Hair jewelry by
      Necklace by
      Prop in the background made by"

etc...

It'd just get exhausting after a while. Especially if you post a lot of pictures.

20. No, it's absolutely Not-Bragging, by a long shot.

That question is asking why she should be expected to hide her beautiful things under a bushel, just because it might make some total stranger jealous.

If you really think that people only post pictures because they have something to prove, & you get offended reading information about other people's dolls, then you're better off playing solely in your LiveJournal & your friends' LiveJournals. That way, you won't see/read anything that could upset your world so badly.