1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Should you always credit the artist?

Apr 24, 2008

1. Ah, so you want the name of the sculptor posted along with the name of the company and sculpt? (ie: "Zhen Lei, ElfDoll Reminesce Soah by Rainman"?)

That might be useful for some browsers, but not everyone knows who sculpted their dolls (I don't have a clue who sculpted any of mine other than Zhen Lei, for instance. *_*), and it's still more information than you really need in a title. Even for a small-scale artist's release, if I posted a picture and listed the doll involved as, say, a Mau or a Ted, that should be enough information for someone who's interested to find out more about it. Or, if their Search-fu fails them, they could always just speak up... A simple "Hey, I haven't seen one of those before. They're awfully cute. Who makes them?" isn't hard to ask or answer.

2. I think it is always nice to credit the artist, you know that they appreciate it. ^^

I will be sure to credit the artist(s) in any pictures that I take of my dolls, and if I'm ever out in public with them and someone asks, I will be sure to credit them as well. If I can't remember when I'm not at the computer, I will at least mention that I payed someone else for the work, and if they are also a doll owner, I will offer to get the artists' information for them.

3. If the owner of the doll hasn't put any credits I would assume that the face-up etc. was done by him/herself.

So I think it should ALWAYS be mentioned ;)

4. i have no face-up or clothes making experience at all! so faceup will always be credited for me. but i know that sometimes i will forget to credit clothing. Maybe in certain individual photos where there is a piece of clothing that stands out, and is probably best mentioning (to promote the maker), then, i will =)

5. i think you should always credit if something isn't done by you. i mean, in my drawings, i credit things as long as i can remember where it came from. it's a bit deceptive if all you did was pose something and claim credit for it. you can at least put some manufacturers' names on things that aren't your own. yeah, maybe you have things from several different places, but if so, you can at least tell people what IS creditable to you personally.

but, it's true, people can always ask if they really wanna know. >_>
      it's what i do all the time anywhere.

6. I definitely, definitely think that the artists should always be credited! Recently I've begun wandering around deviantart's abjds, and it's incredibly frustrating to come across a beautiful doll with a wig, clothing, or faceup you would like to check into buying. Often, I find that, even after asking the owner of the doll where ___ came from, I get a vague, completely unhelpful answer. -.- It drives me nuts! And I see the same thing from other people in comments on the images, especially when the artist has not posted a profile for the doll saying what came from where.
      Not to mention, it's disrespectful to the office! I know if I was actively taking commissions, be it for art, doll clothes, or faceups, I would definitely want my customers to recommend me to other people! (Provided I did a good job, that is)

7. Surreality and I must come from the same 3d art boards;-) When you use 3d resources to create 2d art, it's expected that you credit the texture artist (the equivalent of the face-up) and the "mold" of the 3d character, and often the clothing and props as well. So I would fall on the "please credit" side of the discussion.

A lot of my doll things are made by DoA members that are also my friends, so I like crediting them with the wigs, clothes, etc. All my funky faceups are mine, though;-)

8. No offense but deviantart isn't really a place of human civility. Since you don't know who is stealing photos and who isn't. And I'm just saying that since there is a lot of art/image theft that goes on that site.

9. i think when a doll is customized the artist is the one that brings life into the doll.
      A blank doll head is not a finished doll.
      I think the artist should always be credited.

10. I think crediting is nice towards the artist, but not crediting is not anything bad. If the point of a photo session is to show the new make-up done by some artist, the crediting is necessary. But if you make the photos to show something else, then I don't think it is obligatory to credit.
      Besides... I know it isn't a nice thing to say but... there are make-ups by some artists and some outfits that are really expensive and difficult to obtain, and a post like "It's my doll in my backyard, her make-up is from xxx and her outfit is from xxx" might sound like something "It's my photos on vacations, my dress is from Versace, my shoes are from Gucci", etc.

11. Speaking as a newbie - I like people to credit because... it helps me work out where I can get similiar things for my bjd's.

I'm not sure One needs to credit every time one displays a picture. the first time, and in the database, yes.

I come from a Sims background, and when you're displaying pictures of your sims and their homes - you don't have to credit everyone and his dog for each piece. But it is important that you don't take credit for other peoples stuff.

And I think that's what this is really about - whether people take credit for other's work by not posting up credits.

Asneth

12. yes, I think so, Im about to commision an aristist to do some work for me and after, I think I will let others know it was her. Its a bit or work, and she deserves the credit.

13. I really prefer when people credit. There's a lot of gorgeous doll pictures that are mainly gorgeous because the doll is gorgeous, has a gorgeous face, gorgeous hair, gorgeous clothes . . . if the photographer didn't create any of those and doesn't mention it it feels a little like they're stealing credit for other people's work.

14. Beyond sticking the name of the sculpt in the title, I don't credit a thing. Obviously, I'll most likely mention it if the doll is wearing something new, but for a normal run-of-the-mill photoshoot? No way. I'll certainly answer any questions I might get out, or correct someone if they comment about the great job I did on the face-up when all I did is paid money for it, but as far as automatically listing credits for clothes, faceup, eyes, etc.? Nope.

To be honest, the thought never crossed my mind. Like someone else said earlier, I've dabbled in the Sims 2 community. When most pictures have dozens upon dozens of items of custom content, it's perfectly normal to not list a thing. Most of the time you have so many thousands of downloads you might not even remember where you got that custom hair mesh, or that bedroom furniture set.

Anyway, as long as you're not claiming someone else's work as your own, I don't see any problems with not crediting anyone. Someone else also said earlier that given all of the individual artists and the ultimate medley of them all coming together in one individual doll, I doubt most people assume that if it's not credited, you made it.

15. Well I think artists always deserve credits!
      They put much time and effort into something that somebody else will enjoy eventually. Like a face-up or clothing. And I think it's unfair not to mention them.
      It's frustrating if nobody acknowledges your work.
      And for some it's a great way to get noticed and get more commissions that way.
      And if I use pictures of my dolls that were made by somebody else, all the credits go to them :)

I don't really credit the makers of the dolls though. But I have it stated *somewhere*

16. I'm usually pretty skeptical of any art unless there is proof. Plus, if someone did something for me I would give them credit for sure. I think it's wrong to not, art thieves are
      not nice....

17. I'm personally of two mind sets. I think you should give credit to whomever did the hard work for that doll, but not everytime you post a pic. When updateing, say after they recieved a new face, you should credit who did that work because it takes a lot of time and talent to paint a faceup. Doing this everytime however is redundant and gets old. Most everyone who watches dolls or looks at multiple doll sites will know where you doll came from so credit once or twice and leave it at that.

18. I don't always assume that if the person posting the thread isn't giving any credit, that they did everything (faceup, clothing) theirself. I think that the diversity of things made by different people on the doll is one of the great things about this hobby.

I myself, don't always give credit. Maybe I should.. but when someone says "oh wow, she is wearing awesome pants!" I will always answer with who made them and same goes for faceups. And if I do a photoshoot to show off something new that was made by someone else I will always mention that.

I however, do think ik its neccesairy to give credit to someone you were inspired by in a photoshoot, customization or whatever ( if that is the case) .

19. The words "art thief" and "stealing" seem a little too strong for this subject. The gallery on DoA is not a fine art marketplace, a beauty pageant, or a pharmaceuticals lab. It's just a place for ABJD owners to show off their precious dollys for free. Considering the fact that half the people who post comments in a thread rarely seem to read the text and some of them don't even read the title, does it really matter? Any glory gained from posting a doll picture is bound to be ephemeral anyway, regardless of credit given.

It's certainly polite to credit the maker of a particular item if it's the featured highlight and especially so if the maker is a member of this forum; that's a great way to build community. Credit can be given proactively in the initial post or the OP can wait until someone posts a complement. Then the she can say, "Thanks! I did her faceup myself!" or "Thanks! I'm really pleased with the faceup that ____ gave her!"

20. **no personal attack here, just quoting to emphasize my point**

Yes, the clothes, faceup, etc goes into making an image look good.
      But even the most amazing doll in the world can look horrid if the person taking the picture doesn't do some work too...and dolls that look unappealing in real life can be gorgeous if the picture is taken by someone who is willing to put effort into the picture..whether that effort is through skill and ability or just sheer love of that doll..don't discredit the photographer at all. they are as much an artist as the person who sculpted the doll or the person who did the faceup or made the clothes.

Also, in my experience, art is not just one piece, but is also the sum of a combination of different pieces. If you are looking at an oil painting, do you expect to see a list of brands/colors of paint used by the artist? the company who created the canvas? the person who designed the frame?
      No
      thats not to say that those people are not important or artists themselves. They are. And I'm sure that the artist, if questioned, would tell you what brand he/she used, not claim to have created the paint themselves.
      Art is not just one of the items.. Its not just the clothing, just the faceup, just the doll. It is all these items AND the combination of those items. The person who bought the doll, had the faceup custom done by someone else, sought out that specific dress....that person is attempting to fill their own artistic vision as well.

With my pictures/stories, if someone comments on a particular feature or item, I have absolutely no problem whatsoever heaping praise on the person/company that created that item...however, I don't list every single person in the thread.
      If I did that, I would have to list "pieces combined by eleniel" and "photography by eleniel" (and if you want to get that technical, list who did the lighting, since lighting itself is an art...ask anyone with photography experience..it can be tough to get right, etc)