1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Should you have to return your broken doll part when you are paying for a replacement

Feb 16, 2009

1. It's probably not as unlikely as you think. Considering the popularity of Volks on the second-hand market, I can see someone trying to make a buck off of 'broken' spare parts. It's a silly and convoluted way to make money, but I wouldn't be surprised by it.

2. Okay bad comparison, here is a new comparision. Your vehicle that you drive. It is no longer under warranty and your alternator goes out. You have a custom car that needs the alternator from the manufacturer of the car.

They tell you yes they can replace it for a fee, if you send the old one back.

My point is that most companies do not do this, this is an unusual policy.

I agree with you completely about a company policy is a company's poilcy and do not take issue with a company's right to have their specific policy in place.
      They could in effect not even offer ay sort of replacement. Understandable.

Actually I worked for for Sega of American and Sega of Japan and we would keep detailed records of all customers who called in with complaints /repairs and work orders and purchases etc. So if an international company like Sega can keep records of customers then I dont see why it is so hard for a doll company who maybe does half the business , can do the same. And this particular company does.

So you are saying that I am just asking these questions , to argue? How are you suppoused to ask a company about their policy with out asking questions?

This forum is called "Dolly debate" part of the requirements or suggestions it makes to start a debate is to ask thought provoking questions . I was meerly trying to follow the forum's guidelines. You say it sounds like I am arguing with you, I think you are getting too emotionally involved with this thread.

Just because some disagrees with you doesnt mean they are arguing . Please don't take it so personal. I am not trying to 'convince' anyone person or company to ' do it my way and I am right' . I am not a control freak in the least.

I only answered you and a few others back because you asked questions in your post, you didnt meerly post your opinion, you specifically asked'How is it UNfair?" If answering you back is what you considering arguing with you, I apologize, I dont want to argue with anyone.

I started this thread to get people's thoughts ,feelings and opinions on the issue . In my original thread I never once say ' Old evil so and so company is doing ME wrong" In fact I never said what company it was or if it was even happening to me. The entire situation could potentially be hypothetical.

---End----

A person could want to keep the damage item based on principle because this practice of sending in an old item that is not under warranty while you are paying for a new replacement is an UNusual one in the United States.

But two , a person could want the part to practice things on the resin, to see how a chemical cleaner will affect the resin, or how a temp tattoo will adhere to the resin or how a paint will look or even how a new mod tool or dremel bit will affect the resin etc.

--End--

It seems to me that most people seem in agreement with one another that it is to keep control of the after market ' black market of broken parts':lol:

To avoid scams or fradulent claims.

To test weakness in their resin or any design flaws.

Did I leave any out?

3. In my mind, it's more like you've bought a set of dishes that all come in one box and aren't sold separately, and you break a mug. The company doesn't usually sell its mugs separately but are willing to do something out of the ordinary, in exchange for you giving them the broken one.

Car parts are generally able to be bought individually, otherwise it would be impossible for any mechanic other than the dealership to ever fix a car.

The key point with the broken doll piece is that it's a piece that is not sold on its own and they are basically doing you a favour by even letting you buy a spare. You're perfectly free to turn down their terms, they aren't FORCING you to send them the part, you can choose not to send the part and they can in return choose not to do you a favour by allowing you to purchase a part they do not sell separately.

As far as my understanding goes, if a product is not under a warranty then the company making the product is not required to offer or sell replacement parts in case of breakage. I know this varies for some things (like cars, and some electronics or other functional devices) but for a functionless art object especially, I don't think they have any obligation to supply you with anything, free or not.

4. The company is being kind in letting you get a spare part anyway, even though you broke the doll long after purchasing it. Like you said, it's not under warranty. So they're under no obligation to give you a new piece at all.