1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Single doll owners?

Jun 18, 2018

1. My BJD journey has traveled far & wide, the most I've had is 23... But I sometimes wish I had focused on just two dolls, my first OCs who are a couple. I recently downsized a bunch of dolls and feel so much better, but now I have said-couple in two sizes, MSD & SD. The SD versions are my newest arrivals and I'm absolutely smitten with them... so much that I just want to sell all my other dolls just so I can spoil them (except my two Gorgis, of course!).

If I could go back to the past, I'd tell myself not to make so many OCs and turn them into dolls... it just gets so very overwhelming. :(

2. I admire people who can have just one doll. It seems like a much easier and cheaper way to enjoy the hobby! At first I thought I would be happy with just one but it's really hard not to give in to the temptation when you see so many lovely sculpts out there!

3. :lol: Well, it's soooort of cheaper. In just clothing alone, I think I've spent enough to buy probably another doll and a half, and my doll hasn't even arrived yet! There are a lot of gorgeous sculpts out there, but despite having lurked in the hobby for over a decade, I really never found what I would consider a must-buy sculpt until recently (and of course, that's my single doll on her way to me).

4. I'm single doll owner ,too!!
      Although it is because of small space here and budget problem, I look forward to having more dolls in the future.
      I want to have different size doll. :love:love

5. At first by single I thought you meant "people who aren't in a relationship"... :sweat:sweat:sweat
      Shortly after I got my first doll, I couldn't keep myself in check... I really thought I'd only have one and spoil it, but I've become really greedy... ;;

6. I had every intention of owning one doll, and one doll only, forever. Shortly after I got her I realized I would love at least two. Then a while later, I realized I am in big trouble. :lol: There are several sculpts I want, things I want to shell, and it's a shame to have only one doll when there are other doll bodies with interesting engineering to try out, other interesting resin colours! And I'm one of those doll owners who likes to give a doll around 1 look only, so naturally I'd want more. :doh Help!

7. I think once I finally have my first girl, she'll be the only one for quite a while, possibly permanently. I've just got too many ideas for her clothes and wigs right now to imagine splitting my window shopping between two on them :)

8. I guess like a lot of people I only planned on having one, and I did for a year.. Then I had two for a few years. A few more a few years later... And I've ordered 4 in the last year. It's just hard to say no.

9. For a second, I thought DOA opened up a dating service. Haha. But when I was first starting out, I only wanted one. And so far it has grown, as my tastes have changed. I still have my original doll, she is one of my favorites. But, I just kept adding.

10. I only have one doll, but that’s just because money is short all the time . I’d love to have another doll, but I don’t think I’d want more then three.

11. It took me six years to get a second doll. I was completely fine with having one doll, though I did have a faceup practice head too, but no body for it, so it didn't count. When I finally did get a second full doll, I only kept her a couple years. The ones I've gotten since have stayed (and they multiply so FAST! Like how do I have eight dolls now?!?). My first is still my favorite though, and I feel like she has a bit of only-child syndrome even though she's one of many now :lol:

12. Same here! I also made a diorama for her that costs a doll itself, bought sewing,achine just to sew for her and so on .. :3nodding:

13. There's only one character special enough to me to want to make an actual doll out of (I made her when I was 13 and I'm 25 now), and I have pretty limited space in the right conditions to ensure she doesn't get damaged by sunlight. So I foresee being a single doll owner for a long time until another character comes along, but I'm also planning on purchasing heads to practice face ups on.

I just have to buy my girl now!

14. I started this hobby only intending to get one doll. The resolve lasted only about a year. ^^;; Nonetheless, it's nice to have only one to spoil and take around everywhere. I decided to have a second one because he was something like a grail to me and I wanted to take photos of dolls interacting instead of only being able to take those kind of photos during meets.

15. I really admire those who have a single doll that they spoil wonderfully, but I love seeing the beautiful pairs and trios, huge hordes and grand collections too. I often think too much emphasis is placed on the total number of dolls people have and not enough on each doll themselves (though some owners are so good at giving individuals in their collections time to shine too) but I admit that my heart swells with pride at the overall dedication that the people here have to the artists in this hobby, whether they have 1 or 20 or 100 dolls.
      My collection is divided into small groups and is not cohesive at all, and I’m thinking of downsizing though I’m not sure yet...but I’m learning what is probably right for me, several small groups. It doesn’t help that my favorite sculptor releases in pairs...and that quads of his dolls with multiple faceplates interact so wonderfully and just encourage collecting.

16. I've been a single doll owner for a couple of years now, and I've been pretty content with that. I've only decided on more pretty recently. Right now I'm in the phase of searching for the right dolls to shell my characters and deciding if I want to focus on saving for my grail doll. The more I window shop, the more I realize that $600 is not super crazy for a doll. Either way, it'll likely take me another year before I'm ready for a purchase.

17. I would love to have one boy and one girl so I can make outfits for both genders. But, I don't even have my first doll yet, so... :sweat

18. I've been a single doll owner for about 2 years now. I loved having that 1 on 1 time to really bond and it was a nice, steady entry into the BJD world. I was able to funnel my money into building up her accessories and clothes, which was really nice. I didnt feel strapped coming up with 2 of everything.

That said, I recently took the leap and am currently waiting for my 2nd to be delivered.

I just felt it was time - I've done a lot of "single doll" photos and scenarios and I've always liked the idea of two dolls interacting together. Stories will be more interesting, outfits can be more meaningful and the photos I think will be more dynamic.

I am indeed worried about feeling guilty of spending more time with one over the other. I'll have to divide my time carefully!

19. I plan on being a single doll owner! I don’t have a ton of space nor a ton of money, so just for practically reasons it makes sense.

Plus I just like having ones of things. One cat. One boyfriend. One doll. Means I can spoil that one rotten instead of splitting up my attention.

20. I have one full doll and a head. Not exactly by choice. I've had maybe 7 dolls at most, but I had to sell them all due to life issues.
      I do love my one full doll, but it gets a little boring. Plus, I have a intricate story I'm working on and being able to do photo stories would be a blast.