1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Single Versus Double Jointed Bodies

Oct 19, 2009

1. I personally prefer single jointed dolls, as they look more natural. I like the silhouette of single jointed dolls.
      I am a person who would be satisfied if the doll stands and sits nicely, so single jointed doll worked fine for me.
      But that is just me :) people will have different opinions on it.

2. I used to think I prefer double joints, but now I prefer a more natural shape and are willing to sacrifice posing for aesthetics. Meaning I'll prefer the underbust joint and single-jointed dolls. I just like the smooth shape and I am not crazy on posing either. Basic poses will be fine. Granted, they must hold those simple poses well or I won't even consider them. But that's just me.

3. I owned Both single and double jointed doll. Theres actually not many dolls out there that are still single jointed. Most companies updated their bodies to double jointed in their entire line. I have 2 pure single jointed dolls from volks and some with either single jointed arm or legs. My double jointed dolls are from luts and fairyland.

My understanding of single jointed dolls are that for the legs, I pretty much prefer single over double jointed. More stable, easier to lock and hold. Yes double is more posable but unless you have a stand, theres almost no chance to pose the legs. However arm wise I definitely prefer double jointed to just ouch the face.

However not all dolls are made the same. The mechanism in fairyland is very much superior to most double jointed dolls. The simulate a single joint till it bends over a limit before exposing the second joint break and it does it automatically, you dont need to specifically feel it to pose it. On the other hand even single jointed dolls have difference. Soom legs have incremental lock clicks while volks doesnt. However Volks is noticeably more stable due to better fitting and heft for their size compared to Soom legs. Soom does allow nicer posing given a stand. Arm wise, I really didnt like single joint on my SD, however my Soom double jointed hand is an ass, it usually locks in weird angles. However fairyland one are fantastic and can hold almost any pose at any angle.

On the whole, it depends on which company doll, the engineering aspect and of course what each individual wants. Fairyland dolls are double jointed and fantastic for posing but their F65 are really terrible sitters. But thats another issue on their engineering design.

4. Well my kid delf is single jointed and because I like to take pictures of my dolls in various poses I find it incredibly annoying when the legs look all weird. My SD boy is double jointed and he's very good at posing sure the double joints look a bit weird and he has a gap in the back where his upper joint meets his torso but when he wears clothes it's hardly noticeable. Sure the dolls have to look nice but they're not porcelein figures but ball jointed dolls so if the joints show they show. I don't mind.

5. I like both. Speaking in terms of esthetics, to me, single looks better. In terms of posing, I find double is better. I'm not sure if the leg 'mobility' joint constitutes double joint but I've recently come to love it. Genevieve can cross her legs like a lady which is nice.

6. I have a single jointed doll and my friend has two double jointed, and I prefer double jointed simply because of pose-ability. My doll can only do certain poses without me having to hold him in place, which makes it hard for photoshoots since it's always just myself. I love my doll the way he is, however, because he is my first doll and was a gift from my close friend. But I want my next doll to be double jointed so I may have better chances with different poses.

7. Do they really affect posing all too much? I'm deciding between a doll who has one and who doesn't and I'm truly conflicted. If they just help a doll slouch better, then I'll order the doll who doesn't have one.

8. A waist joint does a lot more than let a doll slouch - it lets them arch backward and, more importantly, twist at the waist. Being able to move parts of the torso can also help balance the doll when standing and you can get more expressive body language. Not having joints would make them more aesthetically pleasing (no joint lines and all that)... but I would miss the flexibility. (I kind of imagine that a doll with an unjointed torso would be more like handling a baby doll or a Barbie... only the legs and arms really do anything - the torso is just a lump.)

I would check the picture requests subforum to see if you can find references for the body types you are considering.

(What bodies are you looking at, btw?)

9. Thank you so much for your reply.

10. Are you looking at the old SD10 1-part-torso body, or something? I have one of those guys; he definitely has posing limitations. He sits up straight, or stands up straight. But I can get him to fake a surprising array of body expressions, and I have to say his stability is great. ^^ Still, I'm definitely partial to 3-part torsos (or at least 2-parts) for the superior flexibility.

It also depends on what your purposes are. If you're less-concerned with realistic posing, & prefer to have a nice smooth jointless body in photos, then you might go for the solid one. If you're into posing, then go for as many joints as you can get.

11. I'm definitely into realistic posing so I'm going with the doll with the most joints. Thanks for replying :)

12. Just remember not all jointing works just cause they put it there! I have handled a number of dolls with supposedly double jointed elbows and chest joints that are not engineered properly so they just don't work. Do your research on which types will actually pose the way you want them to and don't just rely on company pics. edit: Do check company sites for their Gallery pics though, some do have very good pose images from when new body types are released.

I like to own both simple and complexly jointed dolls, each has good things to offer. I don't actually prefer one over the other.

13. Balljointed BJDs without clothes on often look awkward and unrealistic. The dollzone ones have knee and elbow joints that look square. I would get a single jointed one for that reason even though it would mean sacrificing some pose ability.

14. *I looked for a post on this, if it's in the wrong place or has already been made into a thread I'll happily go for that:)*

The newest thing I personally have noticed is that the torso part with no joint has become increasingly popular. For example, Switch, (with the Ariadoll body) has a torso with no joint on the bust line or below the belly button. Crobidoll's girl type body had it as an option.

So, what's your take on it? Do you prefer that extra mobility? Or does it get in the way and cause awkward poses? It isn't exactly the most normal place to bend, but it can create some good poses. Or would you prefer a body without that "pesky torso joint"? Does it make your doll more stable?

I want to hear your opinions! :aangel:

15. In the older days I recall that very few bodies were available that had multiple jointed torsos,
      most were single or non-jointed like the old Volks SD10 body (if I recall correctly!). I used to
      like the non-jointed torsos at one point but I find them outdated now on larger scale dolls.

However, I don't mind if certain dolls or styles of dolls have single or non-jointed torsos, so for me
      it also depends on the overall aesthetics and style of the doll (mainly, I want my larger dolls with as
      many joints as possible, the smaller ones I don't mind as much). (:

- Enzyme

16. Enzyme~Do you find that the jointed torsos have better/easier/simpler posing?

17. Emarie, from my experience with the different dolls that I own (on topic and the off topic ones as well),
      I find that it depends on how well engineered the doll is. I find it very easy to pose my Fairyland Chicline Rou,
      who has a three-part jointed torso as opposed to posing my old SoulDoll Paris, who only has single jointed torso.
      Rou can also achieve more natural poses than my Paris. On the other hand I have dolls that have non-jointed torsos
      that are easier to pose than my three-part jointed torso Limwha Mano for example, but maybe don't achieve that natural
      looking poses as well as he does. I think it also has to do with size and weight of the doll and how well the owner handles
      the doll (I'm kind of petite so it's harder for me to deal with the larger dolls). I hope that's helpful. (:

- Enzyme

18. some companies do double jointed, some do single jointed and some have an option for double or single (with double costing a little more. Some companies only have certain molds in double jointed, generally single is default or the norm.

I personally prefer to suede and wire single joints to increase posability because the double joints look too unnatural and bulky if you know what I mean, I've had both single and double in the same size and from the same company - dollzone msds and if I had the choice I'd go for single jointed every time.x

19. I prefer jointing like BlueBlood Doll. Double jointed for better mobility and strings never show, but the knee and elbow pieces are almost like thin "sheaths" in a way...no big bulky weird "peanut". When the joint is bent, the strings are still hidden. It kind of reminds me of an armadillo shell with fewer "rings". LOL

I also like their torso joint. It's shaped so it's not a straight across line under the chest (which IMO gives the appearance of "moobs" or man boobs) and it's high up enough to not affect the beauty of the hips. They pose well enough for me and still manage to look natural without awkward lines everywhere and they never pop out of place, like my Doll Family boy likes to do.

20. I have dolls with single and with double joints, also with a single torso, two parts or three parts torso.
      I think it's not so much about the joints themselves but who made them. Even though it never really bothered me if the dolls were from the same company, because even if they are, it often doesn't say anything about posing abilities.
      For example I have no problems using the three parts torso and the double joints of my AngellStudio guy and he poses quite well, but my AS girl (who has a two part torso and double joints) often is hard to pose and even with sueding and wiring I still have troubles getting her to hold poses properly, even something so simple as just standing, because her legs just won't cooperate.
      So even if they are from the same company, their posing abilities are completely different.