1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Snap on shirts? or Head off wearing shirts?

Jun 20, 2011

1. Snap on shirt!

I don't like messing with taking off heads or hands to change clothes.

2. Always will purchase clothing that doesn't require taking the head off the doll. Once I got a shirt that did require it and a friend changed it for me so I could use it without removing the head.

Some shirts with no opening are priced a little cheaper but I don't care--I will not be removing my dolls heads to save a little $$. It's not worth the hassle and the fear of messing up their faceups to save a little $$.

3. snaps, please. x: i'm still a total noob about taking dolls apart, so it's scary to me, to have to take off the head(since i've never done it before!).

4. My favourite doll shirt is a 'head off' shirt, but it has some stretch to it, which means I don't always have to take off his head to get his shirt on and off. In fact, the only time I had to take his head off, it wasn't because the neck of the shirt wouldn't stretch, it was because I was having trouble with the arm holes and it was easier to get those if his head wasn't taking up space.

=^__^=
      Anneko

5. My dolls all wear button-down blouses/shirts, so this hasn't been an issue for me yet :whee: But I wouldn't mind taking off the head, as my dolls kinda have 'default' outfits and I don't change them often.

6. @.@ Ugh I just can't take my dolls' heads off, Bluefairy while beautiful isn't particularly practical. I can deal with regular shirts as long as they're stretchy enough to fit over the body and avoid the head, button ups and snaps are way easier to use and more likely to keep their shape, since all that pulling and stretching wears out clothes.

7. I prefer realism and like shirts that I have to take my doll's head off for. Save back snaps/buttons for period wear and fancy dresses. Snaps/buttons/velcro (urgh!) in the back of a hoodie/sweater/shirt are asthetically ugly to me. I only make exception for one tailor here because their work is top notch. Hoodies must either zip, button, or snap in the front like they do for people for me to really want it.

8. NO snaps, over-the-head/head-off shirts all the way. I hate snaps on shirts and will only buy shirts with snaps if I absolutely have to. Shirts with snaps or buttons down the front are fine, but shirts with snaps down the back I dislike beasue they look horrible from the back. I really, really dislike doll clothes that look like doll clothes. It isn't at all difficult to take the head off of even my most stubborn and tightly-strung doll, so I much prefer doing so to put a shirt on him over having him wear a shirt that snaps up the back, because anything with a closure up the back does not look like real, proper clothing to me and that's what I value over ease of dressing. I'm willing to take an extra few minutes to dress my boys if it means their clothing looks like real-person clothing.

9. Snaps if that is only choice. Really prefer Velcro in back all the way down so no rubbing face up and messing up eyelashes either.

10. I like snaps on most shirts or for girls, bodices that lace up the back. That being said, they have to be good quality metal snaps. I recently bought a very nice Yo-sized outfit made with tiny ornamental buttons and plastic snaps. The plastic snaps are awful; very hard to fasten and impossible to open up once snapped. I have to replace them all.

11. Unless it's a button-down shirt or the opening is somehow otherwise worked into the shirt design, snaps or velcro just look SO CHEAP and UGLY. Like cheapie barbie clothes from the dollar store. Seriously, it takes three seconds to pop a head held by an S-hook/O-ring off with your bare hands (and this goes for tinies up through SD's - I guess if you have the really big guys you may need some tools); unless you own one of those oldie old ones that have the S-hook-through-headcap treatment, then yeah, I understand why taking heads off frequently isn't such a desirable idea.

Also, snaps and velcro add more bulk to the garment, so if you want to layer it with something else it just looks really bulgy and unattractive. I've also noticed that metal snaps scratch the doll's back.

Not to mention basically means that you cannot take pictures of your doll from the back because it'll just show the snaps and ruin the entire make-belief set-up. So when I have the chance, I ALWAYS try to buy things that look like little realistic human garments. It's not like putting doll clothes on is easy, regardless of whether the head comes off or not.

12. Snaps. My Angelsdoll's head is on so tight (he came strung that way, with his head wrapped separately in the box) I'm afraid it will pop like an egg if I have to take it off one more time. I'd rather live with a t-shirt with a keyhole and snap closure in back than break my babies' heads. And before anyone says it, I am very careful to not hold the head when I do have to remove it, I hold the dolls by their shoulders, take their caps off and then use pliers to hold the hook or neck ring.

13. For me, it depends on the style of clothes, and what they would look like if they were human-sized. If the human version would slip over the head, then I would rather have a shirt where I remove the doll's head so that the neckline can be made properly proportioned. My dolls' heads all come off easily, so this isn't a problem for me at all. If it's a shirt that would normally close in the front, with buttons, for example, I would like it to be made that way for the doll, too. I don't mind snaps as long as they are tiny, and carefully sewn on, so that it looks like the buttons on the front are functional. I do have a doll shirt that I won where each of the tiny front buttons actually has a matching button hole. CRAZY! It looks beautiful, and I very much appreciate the effort of the woman who made it, but I personally wouldn't make doll-sized button holes very often... I will say, though, that I am not a fan of velcro for doll clothes at all, because of how it tends to snag hair and other clothes. I just never use it.

14. Depending on how your doll is strung, and what you've got going on, it does not take three seconds to take off a head. My wigs are on well and it's a pain to take them off an on constantly. I like my dolls strung with the knots in the head for easier tightening/loosening of the elastic. This makes taking off heads less than fun, and sometimes hard enough that I'd just as soon not unless absolutely necessary. Usually if a shirt says the head might have to be removed to get the shirt on, I pass it up, it doesn't matter how much I like it. I also hate for my dolls to look choked, so I don't like tight or high necked shirts anyway.

One snap on the back of the shirt is barely visible and makes for a much easier time of dressing (I usually slide it up from the legs) and is almost always hidden under hair...Obviously not all dolls have long hair, but for those that do, that takes care of that issue.

I am not a fan of all the way down the back snaps/buttons and I really hate velcro on anything lol
      Luckily I have a friend who makes most of my doll's clothing so I can afford to be picky :)

15. I like the look of head-off T-shirts, but I love having snaps for practicality. While I don't mind taking off some heads if they have magnetic caps and a neck mechanism to hold the s-hook, some are not that easy. My El has a Type1 body, with an s-hook, and it verges on painful having to take his head off sometimes :/.

So, snaps all the way haha.

16. Wow it seem like a lot of controversy over this subject. Each opinion of you guys makes me re-think.
      I really appriciate for your precious opinions.

TTYA

17. I don't mind taking the head off my Dahlia, as her head has a nice detaching feature and there's no s-hook to come loose causing the elastic to snap into the body to be lost forever. As for the other dolls, I prefer not having to take their heads off to dress them.

18. I love hoodies... but hoddies are almost always pull-over-the-head types. While I understand the beauty of an outfit that doesn't have the added bulk of velcro, or extra snaps (because that can take away from an outfit, sometimes) I do like outfits with extra buttons or snaps. I dislike having to do extra steps to put on or take off an outfit; I don't want to have to risk restringing my doll when I want to put a dress on her. I'd rather have strategically-placed buttons or hidden velcro.

This^. Dollmore Kids don't have a head/neck mechanism, so I'm left with using some pliers on an S-hook. It was such a pain to put her head back on, and the S-hook isn't even in the right way, so her head keeps being forced to look over to the right (and this was just to fix an eyelash). So, if anything that will allow me to not have to constantly go nuts over pulling up strings and such, I'll take it.

I also agree with the tight-necked shirts; they do look like they're being choked. I've been doing a lot of sewing for my BJD, and the patterns don't seem to allow for any velcro space, which makes me have to try and do it myself. I once made a dress looked cute, but ended up looking pretty horrible, and part of that was due to the too-high neckline.

19. I have no preference because it's easy to take my dolls' heads off and put them back on. If it wasn't I'd of course want a back-fasten design.
      My biggest issue is getting the hands through the sleeves. X(

20. With snap on shirt ;)
      Since I'm lazy enough to remove the head... XD