1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Snap on shirts? or Head off wearing shirts?

Jun 20, 2011

1. So. I guess, I should make both style and give option to customers. This is best way!!

2. It depends on the look of the outfits and if the doll will be permanently on that outfit. But generally I prefer snap on or buttons as they are easier to wear. I sometimes have to keep changing their outfits so it'd be a chore to keep removing the head to wear the outfit. This is why most of my boys wear shirts with buttons in front xD

3. I much prefer snap on shirts! But if I had to take the head off my dolls, then that would be ok too so I can get it on. Unless it's Marki. His head is very difficult to put back on once you take it off [ I spent an hour trying to put his head back on after putting a t-shirt on him. Then again, he does have quite a big head XD ] so yeah, deffo snap on shirts <3

4. I prefer snaps, buttons, zippers or thin velcro (no bulky velcro!). I like to change clothes fairly often and I don't like to always be pulling at their wigs and futzing around with taking the head off. Also sometimes I like to take a change of clothes outside and change them while taking photos and I would not take their head off outside.

I agree about it being obvious. I wish it always either showed or said how the clothes went on. Nothing like the big shock of realizing it won't go on without taking their head off.

I think if the clothes are well made and the proper closures are used they're not bulky or ill fitting at all. I do like seeing a smooth fit from head off clothes and I don't mind having a couple of items that are but I'd prefer most not be. I also don't see that I'd have much occasion to photograph the back. If it's a dress that closes up the back that's not exactly unrealistic anyway since I've worn dresses that zip up the back, have ties in back, etc.

I do think quality of the clothes is important. Items with huge bulky bits of Velcro tend to do weird things when you try to sit the doll down. But thin Velcro often works beautifully for fit and looks.

5. I would prefer snap ons, but if it's an outfit I don't plan on switching out often or the design really requires a closer fit that heads must "roll" hehe yeah I may go with them.

6. My dolls heads are on and off all the time, it's so easy to do I don't understand the problem. I don't like clothing that has openings at the back where there shouldn't be any... and hate velcro most of all

7. Head off, I think they look nicer, but I like both really.

If they have zippers on the dresses though, I like it better :3

I like the clothing to look more real, but at the same time I get lazy xD

8. 'Head off' shirts look better all around. I don't mind taking off my dollie's heads to put on their clothing, since that's how I put on my clothing. WAIT WHUT.
      No, I meant like, pull-over style. BUT SAME THING. D|

Snaps are okay too. I really don't mind either way~
      I don't like velcro or zippers though, too fiddly.

9. I prefer both because my BJD has a key turn head mechanism it makes it so easy to take him head of to change his clothes.

10. I prefer snap-ons, velcros, etc because I tend to change outfits a lot, so the easier the change, the better. ^^ But I do think that the head-off shirts look nicer, though I will sacrifice that for the sake of easy shirt swapping. XD

11. I believe I prefer snap-ons, Velcro because I rather not take of Ducan head. I am afraid to take off his head because I might break his head or scratch it.

12. i perfer velcro or snaps i hate seeing my dolls without a head but sometimes its reaaly hard to make clothing with snaps

13. snaps or Velcro don't like hassle of removing heads for clothing.

14. To be honest, I was originally hesitant because I was less practiced at taking my doll's head off, but even now that I've got it down pat I won't buy an outfit that requires me to take off a doll's head on principle.

I understand it makes the outfit more realistic visually, but the hassle that it involves is not worth it most of the time so I know if I ever bought anything it'd be consigned to the bottom of my clothes pile purely because I don't want to deal with it.

What can I say? I'm lazy :sweat

15. I'll do either one as long as it look good and I like it. But I can see why some people would prefer one of the other. Head off is suppose to look more "real" and snap on is more easier to wear.

To me, head off is just as easy to wear if you know how. Pulling on those S hook on the neck can make head removal difficult, that why some company sell this device to make it easier. http://www.eluts.com/shop/step1.php?number=2308
      You can just buy that or if you're broke like I am, use yarn/strong stings.
      (Just hook the yarn into the top loop and pull. If you need a better grip, tie some of the yarn to a pencil or something, and hold on that. no mystery right ^^)

16. I prefer button up or snap on shirts simply because I'm paranoid about the faceup being damaged. I'm fine with really any shirt as long as I can get it on and off without it making contact with my doll's face.

17. I like the ease of snaps when redressing my dolls, but for me a realistic piece of clothing - something that truly looks like real clothes - is more important than convenience, so I prefer to take their heads off and have no snaps..

18. I like head-offs/overs, just because they look more real, to me. Also, my dude has a penchant for stretchy v-necks/wide-necked t-shirts, so I rarely have to take his head off! Also, too lazy to sew snaps. :3

19. I like the look of shirts that require head removal, but won't buy them. I have a lot of nerve damage in my left arm and if a doll is strung tightly, it is impossible for me to remove the head by myself. I don't like to depend on other people to help me clothe a doll.

I much prefer shirts that slide over the head, no snaps that make it look fake and no head removal necessary. Which is the most realistic. Real people don't have snaps on their tshirts, neither should a doll...by that standard, real people also don't require head removal to get their clothes on....neither should a doll....

20. I hate taking my dolls' heads off. Hate it. So unless the outfit is really super special cool, I won't even buy something if it's going to require me to take a head off. Either use snaps/zippers/buttons, or make the collar wide enough to fit over the head. And as CloakedSchemer said above, we humans don't take our heads off to get dressed, and our clothes work just fine. The same can be done for dolls.