1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

"So about that spending problem..."

Mar 2, 2019

1. My dolls each have a personality and a "look" that goes with it, so if I don't get them the clothing, shoes, props, wigs and faceups that turn them into who I imagine them to be, then the perfectionist in me gets quite annoyed - and what's the point of a hobby if it just annoys you, right? Or something like that. It sounds like more of a reasonable justification for spending too much when I say it in my head than when I write it down. :XD:

2. Haha! yes! I’m the worst when it comes to my dolls! I have the hardest time buying anything that’s not on sale, but when it comes to my dolls, I can’t say no! I’m lucky I’m determined to make a lot of my own clothes and accessories for them, but every time I see a beautiful doll for sale it takes a lot of my will to say no so I can save for one I REALLY want.

3. palabracadabra,

I love the notion of doll units of money! I was astonished to find that if I cut eating out and shopping for fabric and art supplies completely I can order a doll a month!

4. I definitely wouldn't describe what I spend as a "problem." I'm not spending money on dolls instead of bills, I havent put myself in debt, etc... but I do spend more on dolls than I do myself, and my own luxuries are the first thing I cut when I want to spend extra money on dolls.

As other have said, though, I'm much happier spending money on what makes me happy, as opposed to spending money on what I "should." I'm frugal when it comes to myself, just because it keeps me from wasting money and buying more than I need to.

$40 on fresh vegetables, most of which will go bad because I'm hardly home? No way. Canned soup, spam, tuna, and noodles make me just as happy, and keep way longer. $20 on a top I think is only so-so? No way, I dont have the space and don't wanna spend the money.

That said, I'm also decently selective of what I spend for dolls, as well. $20 for a doll top I think is only so-so? "No way" to that, too.

Soooo yes, I prioritize doll spending over spending for myself... but it's because that's what makes me happy :sweat I could have x, I could have y, but in the end, I'd be happier with that perfect doll thing I've been hunting for, and isn't that the true spirit of YOLO?

5. Yes, I spend too much on dolls and doll stuff.

I do try to do things like not add to any credit card debt, and try to stay within my budget... but I do tend to put off buying/paying for real life things a bit, which is bad!

6. I've managed to cut down on my doll spending by making my own clothes, but that doesn't stop me from still occasionally buying them, or from spending that "saved" money on supplies, shoes, new dolls... more new dolls... I really need to finish some dolls...

That said, my main spending "problem" is actually on books. My Amazon history is a nightmare. :sweat But I rarely buy things like clothes or shoes for myself, so it evens out. I hope.

7. I'm pretty careful with my doll budget. I have some long-term priorities that are more important to me than dolls, so I don't skim from any of those to justify doll costs. The act of shopping can be such a thrill that frequently isn't maintained in the actual items purchased, so I try not to get carried away. I know I'm in the minority, but I like spending more than bare bones on my own clothes and care—the truth is, for me, I enjoy them much more than the dolls would. ;) If that means I have to purchase doll things more infrequently than if I penny-pinched other budget categories, so be it. ♥

8. I enjoy the feeling of wanting, and dislike it when the novelty wears off and I lose interest in a thing. This in addition to frugality is why I prefer to "window shop" online rather than make regular, large purchases.

9. Becoming "addicted" to dolls and spending too much is a constant worry for me, since I come from a borderline miserly family and spending ANY money on frivolities is scandalous.

I would say that functionally I don't have a "spending problem" since I've saved quite a bit of money and continue to save and pay bills alongside my doll hobby. But emotionally? I have a spending problem. I've spent more on my dolls than any other hobby, including video games and electronics, and all in a very short period of time. And, perhaps more importantly, I can't force myself to stop...

10. I forced myself not to splurge on this hobby anymore. With high cost of living I can’t afford to indulge in such a way that I do not have to think twice. In fact, I’m selling one of my dolls to pay for my credit card bill.

11. I measure my money in doll amounts.

I spend way too much money on dolls and it is a bit of a problem with my family.

My dad sees dolls as money that could be used to buy a car. I see them the opposite way around.

12. I've definitely gotten hooked on secondhand finds (clothing, wings, shoes etc). Part of it is of course the find and how well it fits my doll, though part of it is also the deal factor, and also knowing most of these purchases go toward helping others in the hobby. While my spending on dolls has increased, it's slowed if not stopped my spending on collectibles, so it all evens out.

13. I absolutely agree it's something that I do. I like to be prepared so that they aren't naked and bald and eyeless when they arrive to me. I would rather go without a few things instead and indulge my need to prepare lol

14. The ways the brain will justify spending money sometimes is mind boggling... My computer was acting up the last few days- and I was looking at having to drop a few hundred dollars to fix, if not more to replace... thankfully I got it sorted out before it came to that. My brain keeps telling me that I can spend that money now even though it’s still technically my rainy day stash. Just writing this makes me want to order something... and I already have three dolls ordered! So yes, a bit of a spending problem. :sweat

15. Ohkay, so once upon a time I had a real big problem with that. I ended up with upwards 50 dolls as a result, cut down my collection to size, and now I have bounced to a much healthier 7sd, 7msd, 3 tiny collection size.Since I also only buy dolls of my characters I feel no need to expand, either. Quite honestly I just want to save up for the crazy expensive bodies that my floaters need. :lol: I want to believe i have gotten a lot better with my spending habit...

16. Spending happens no matter how it happens. Sometimes one's spending habit runs off without their self control

17. I just ordered a doll since the company was offering a really great discount on one I've wanted for a while. The timing wasn't all that responsible as I also ordered one a month ago. With a pair of shoes and shipping she's more than the desk I'm going to order for myself as soon as its in stock again. I don't spend money on much else except fabric for making them clothes. Still, my priorities will seem a bit off to most people...:sweat

18. I'm a pretty careful spender. My husband and I use a personal budgeting software to keep track of every penny, because we're setting aside money for savings and a down payment on a new house. We still give ourselves a generous monthly personal spending allowance, however. While I love dolls, I love other things in life too, and I think it's important to strike a healthy balance.

19. You are NOT alone. I’ve been eating so cheap cuz I’d rather have pretty things to look at when I’m home. And since I’m home all the time, I need many pretty things to look at. At least.......that’s how I justify it.....

20. I've spent a large amount of money this last month and a half but as someone entering the hobby thats expected. Intro supplies such as cleaner, MSC, pastels, eye putty, ect all add up and can be rather expensive on their own- plus I want to make my own eyes adding the cost of resin and pigments to the mix... plus I'll be redoing a project doll so I bought dye, a burner, ect.

Basically I'll be going from 0 to 4 dolls in a short span of time and there are a LOT of costs associated with that outside the price of just the dolls! The dolls themselves were a good deal, all 4 were individually under $150 and most were $100 or under. Buying secondhand dolls that need some restoration to get where they need to be saves money in that regard :XD: