1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

So picky that I don't like my dolls

Aug 2, 2011

1. I always think dolls would have their own characters naturally when they come home my home. Firstly I'll give them face-ups and then clothes. I guess I do have something in my mind of what they should be. But I never really force it. And after a while, they become themselves which are just unique and I'm totally happy with that.

2. I don't have your problem because I don't have expectation for my dolls, as if she/he has to look in the way I planned for her/him or it won't work for me. I know some people will have a story line, and certain look/personality for their dolls in mind, so for them, I can understand how disappointed they will be if that doll didn't show what they wanted.

I also agree with golgy_body :) . I do believe each doll comes with it's own character and sometimes I will be waiting for a doll, and I'f put certain outfit, wig and eye colors in mind for it but when it arrives, everything change! I had bonding issues with some dolls but once I changed the wig, or eyes .. eveything work perfect .. If you still don't feel satisfied with your doll after changing, try to find what you exactly don't like about it, and may be alter it ? =)

At the end, if you don't like the doll, I don't suggest to keep it. Sell it, and buy another one that you feel more sure about . =)

3. 1. No, you are definitely not alone. I'm an extremely picky person (I usually don't show it when friends are around) when it comes from choosing things, whether it would be food, miscellaneous items, or even BJDs. I have a tendency to make things complicated when I just toss what I don't like to the side and ending up not liking anything at all. It creates an immense problem to my parents when they wanted to get me a present or food that I like because I usually can't decide what I like so it drags the amount of time to decide.
      2. To deal with this, I usually put myself into a research mode (for BJD wise) because knowing that this is a big purchase, I have to make a wise decision to choose a BJD that I love dearly and since I find that I don't like to resell things due to being my laziness and being a hassle to handle problems (if one comes up). I'd rather make myself devoted to finding one I truly likes rather than just regret what I got when I open the box....I'm not an impulsive buyer but I do put myself through a stage of searching and searching until I find one that I like.

4. My sentiments exactly. :)

5. Oh gosh...I'm so picky. It takes me ages to decide which doll to buy. I spend months looking at different face molds and deciding if they match the character I'm looking for, and when I do buy a doll it HAS to have fantasy parts. I seem to get so bored and frustrated when I own just human dolls. Also I'm usually only swayed by boy dolls as well. I'd love to buy a girl kind of based on my appearance and make her into a character of mine, but it's been years since I've really found a girl doll thats wow'ed me. Even the Onyx head I'm looking for I really, REALLY want it for a boy doll.

I'm also having second doubts about the Bazael I ordered...I'm not sure If I'm digging his face sculpt anymore >.< but I LOVE everything else about him.

6. Am I the only one that's this picky?

No, but pickiness and laziness don't go well together. Get over your ideas of "I can't" and learn to make your own stuff. Then it will be exactly what you want and you will have the satisfaction of mastering a skill as well.

How do you deal with being so picky? Do you settle for whatever, or do you keep plugging away on a quest to find the "perfect" wig and clothes (a quest that may never come to an end)?

I have very specific ideas for how my characters should look, but as I don't have the time to make their costumes right now, I have bought my dolls beautiful outfits, shoes and wigs to wear for now. That way I still enjoy looking at them and don't get depressed about the fact that that they are evolving so very slowly into the characters I want them to be. That part of owning BJDs definitely requires patience! :)

7. I guess part of the problem is that I never had an idea for what I wanted my dolls to be before I got them.

When I say "I can't" make my own patterns, I mean I really can't. I've tried over and over and over and I'm either not talented enough or I'm just not getting something.

8. I've actually thought about this a lot before ordering my dolls. I have very distinct characters in mind, and I wonder if I'll be able to turn the dolls into them. Also, the historical clothing they need is just not to be found in shops; I'll have to make it myself. I'll want it to look fine, though. I wouldn't want my dolls and their outfits to look shabby or amateurish (I, too, am a perfectionist); I'm not going to love them if they don't look really nice. Now, the clothes I need for them aren't complicated. I think I can pull it off. But sometimes I do wonder if I'm estimating all of this correctly :(. What if it doesn't work?

I jumped anyway. I have to try, at least. I'm not a perfect artist either (far from it), but I love my art and I love trying to improve. I've decided that it will be the same with the dolls. I'll just do my best for them and try to improve until they are just right. I don't know how hard it's going to be, but I'mlooking forward to trying my hand at it :).

9. Try starting with some of the more simple free patterns floating around the forum/internet. Once you get the hang of how different parts of an outfit fit together it will be much easier to either alter an existing pattern or create your own.

If you're serious about learning to make your own outfits, spend a lot of time in the sewing section of the forum. There are seamstresses of all ability levels who are all more than willing to share their knowledge and help you when you get stuck. Look through threads here and fashion albums/internet/favourite shows/movies/etc. until you find something you like, then stick it in a folder for inspiration (I have one for each of my dolls and a more general one).

The more you practice, the better you'll get. If you make something you don't think works, set it aside for a bit, make more things and try it again. If it still doesn't work for you sell it.

You need to be willing to experiment to find something that works. Once you do, you'll be able to figure out what kind of things you want for your dolls. :)

As for the original questions:

1) No, you're not.

2) I just keep trying until I find something that works. Work on it until you can't anymore then set it aside and do something else for a while. It might just be you need a little bit of time or a different way of looking at it. (e.g. I have a shirt for my MNF that I love, but just looked wrong on her. I tried it on my other girls and it still didn't look right until one day I had it on her and she leaned over and one sleeve got pulled off her shoulder. Push the second one down and now she never takes it off.)
      If it ends up you've spent so much time on something and it's still not working then it's time to part ways.
      My dolls have gone through a lot of changes over the years, but after having her for 3.5 years I've finally nailed down my first doll. I have exacting standards, but I also have a lot of fun trying different things. She's had clothing that sort of suits her, clothing that really hasn't and stuff that just makes me look at her and say 'wow' but it's only after a long period of trial and error that I've managed to figure out what I wanted her to be.

So don't give up, hang out in the sewing section, maybe attend a meetup and see if other owners will let you try on their dolls wigs or shoes (they're usually willing) and see if you can find something that's just right.
      But ultimately, if it's too frustrating you're probably better off selling the dolls and moving on.

:/ Yay... text wall. Sorry about that.

10. You might want to try the 'drape' method of making clothes for your dolls, then, instead of using or making patterns. You can sketch out a rough idea of what you want an outfit to look like, figre out how many pieces of clothing it is (like skirt and top, full dress with a vest, a top, skirt, underskirt, and pantaloons, or what-have you) then pick the fabrics you want for each piece, and drape the fabric on your doll, pin it in place, then cut the pieces, leaving room to sew them together. Then you just sew the already pinned pieces after taking them off the doll, put the article of clothing back on, inside out, and make adjustments, like adding darts, or taking in a seem, as needed. I can follow some patterns, I can make REALLY simple, geometric patterns, but I sew WAY better with the 'drape' method than I do using or trying to make patterns for clothing. When I drape, pin, sew, and alter, I can get an outfit to look WAY more like how I wanted it to than I can when I try to make patterns to work from first. If I'm making a piece that I know I'll want to have a pattern for to re-make later, I make the first copy with 'junk' fabric that I won't use for anything else, and once it's done, take out the seems again so I have the raw pieces, then trace them on some printer paper or some such, then use that pattern to re-make the outfit in my 'final' fabric choices.

And no, you aren't the only one who's that picky. I personally, am not, but I know a lot of people who are.

11. Glad to know I'm not the only one who's picky about their dolls. I've been researching bjds for years and only got my first doll about a week ago! But she had to have the right body, face, wig...etc. I've finally come to the conclusion that if I'm going to be spending this much money on her, she better be the way I want her to be. And Its totally okay to change your mind every once in a while. Evne though the personality of your doll may not change, your personal tastes might. I'm already looking for new clothes for my girl.

Don't forget, theres always DIY. If you can't find something then make it or ask someone to make it for you, then its exactly what you want so you wont have to settle :)

12. 1) Am I the only one that's this picky?
      No you are not! I'm very picky when it comes to anything. I read labels, I compare prices, I research everything to hell and back just to be sure it is what I want. I like brown eyes but the ones I have right now are so dark they don't read probably on photos. So darn it... new eyes maybe? The wig is too red and all wrong for her character. Grrr... more money to spend. :roll:

2) How do you deal with being so picky?
      Take a breath or take a step back. Is it really that important? Ten years from now will it make a difference if your wig was a centimeter shorter than you wanted it to be? Or is it more important that you had fun with the doll? Be analytical on why you are being so picky. Maybe there is more to it than just the BJD hobby? I know the days when I get into a crazy cleaning mode or I get really picky about the little stuff I'm actually just having a bad time with something totally unrelated. :sweat I don't know if that is the same way with other people.

3) Do you settle for whatever, or do you keep plugging away on a quest to find the "perfect" wig and clothes (a quest that may never come to an end)?

I probably will keep plugging away but if I have spent a thousand dollars on finding just the PERFECT eyes... someone please slap me. :doh Or I'll slap myself. hehehe

13. I am very "picky" too when it comes to my doll family. My approach is to stick to clothes that are mix and match for now. I love the "Dollheart" look for some of my dolls and I have found some great outfits here on DoA.

I am also a wigaholic - so yeah - I will actually want 2-3 wigs to look good on each one of my dolls. I like to keep some versatility with my dolls when it comes to their character.

14. To be honest I'm in the same boat. I love my dolls to bits but when I look at other peoples' dolls who are really amazing sometimes I wish I could've done better. Especially since all of my favorite molds all really popular I find it hard to come up with a creative character for mine so he stands out.

My ND Bada has an amazing faceup but he now needs a new body (old one wsn't the right size) and I have no idea what I want to do for his wig and eye color.

My MD Ryu I have the perfect character in mind for but he still needs new eyes and now I feel like I want a different wig >.< Comparing him ot all the other thousands of Ryus sometimes I feel like he doesn;t quite cut it.

I don't even want to talk about the Jina head on the way...I have no idea what I want to do with him DX

Don;t get me wrong I love my dolls..I just find I've run into a wall with their designs.

15. I'm with Knibitz on this. My sentiments, exactly. :)

It's hard when you're first starting out. Can't do faceups right, the clothing you want isn't readily available or flippin' hard to make. The perfect wig is hard to come when it's coming from your own country, or you find it in the MP a day after it's already been sold. I've been there, I know the pain of trying to get it right, and the frustration of having to wait for everything to come together. ;]

But you can find deals. Ebay is always good and scouring the MP is a challenge, but a rewarding one. I think when I started out, I LIVED in the marketplace. Searching for the right item for one of my boys without breaking my bank account. You have to sacrifice a bit for this hobby too, you know. ^^ Back then I made like $6 an hour and my meager checks went to gas and school. But any extra money went into my boys. I even gave up manga, Starbucks and junk food for it. *__*

If you can't do faceups you would be happy with, you can search for customizers that are just starting out. They tend to do them at a good price when they first open shop. $15-40 is considerably easier to pay for than $60-150+ shipping. And a faceup can make or break your doll. It just takes patience to sift through all the ones out there until you find an artist that makes you happy.

Which brings me to the next part. Network. &#9829; You can meet up with collectors in your area, and sometimes buy/swap clothes, wig, and shoes. And other doll peeps are good for getting new ideas or giving help. :3 Dolly friends are great at inspiring you to improve on your skills.

Eventually, you learn how to be pretty damn savvy. I can restyle and cut my own wigs, do my own faceups, fix broken zippers in doll boots, modify a body to sit better, and make my own clothes [although my friends are much better at it than me].

And if the doll isn't working, no matter what you try ~ then sell it for another that does suit you better. It's only a doll. It shouldn't make you feel guilty for evolving it into another one if it's just not working out. :aheartbea

----

16. Maybe you're buying too soon. You could always do a little more research into the doll before you buy it. It's worth it to find the perfect doll. :)

17. I'm picky in that I usually know JUST what elements are needed to make the perfect look... and I seek them.. But, I guess I'm not perfectly-picky, because I do settle for "good enough for now" items, until I can find the Perfect One. Sometimes a doll's full evolution can take a long time.

I had Radu (my highly-decorated IP Luo) for over a year before I got just the right hair for him; but he happily lived in & customized two other wigs up till that point. But on that day I first put that perfect wig on him-- it's like you can hear a lock clicking into place, the day you finally nail your doll's look. :dance: I find that day is worth waiting for. The shopping trials-and-errors are part of the fun, journey being large part of destination.

18. 1) Am I the only one that's this picky?
      I don't think you are. I'm probably less picky than that. I shell specific characters, and increasingly I'm okay if they don't look EXACTLY like the character as long as the vibe the doll gives off is right.

2) How do you deal with being so picky? Do you settle for whatever, or do you keep plugging away on a quest to find the "perfect" wig and clothes (a quest that may never come to an end)?
      Some things, like wigs and eyes, I do seem quite picky about. But I don't really expect the quest to truly end. I think a completely done doll that never needed another outfit or a freshened up faceup wouldn't stay in my collection. I like that there's stuff to shop for and stuff to do in this hobby. I sometimes settle for a while, but there are other times when I decide a wig or somesuch just isn't right, and obsessively search for a replacement :sweat.

How you deal with your dolls and their looks may change over time. Mine did. In some ways I'm more patient and flexible; I'm also better at finding what I want. I think it's a combination of analyzing what you really want, and listening for when your heart or brain or gut goes, "THAT ONE RIGHT THERE!"

19. I have one doll I'm like this with, my RS Lan. She was extremely difficult to find a wig for, although I have the perfect one now, and I can't decide what to do with her. She needs a new face up, but I can't decide what type, and I can't decide whether or not I want to dye her any more. I had a character for her all planned out when I was purchasing her, but that went down the drain once I got her. Now nothing seems right for her.

Granted, she is just a floating head and I don't have much to work with.

But I'm not that picky with all my dolls. Perhaps you could commission someone to make something for your Yo-SD. Just come up with an idea of what you want and poke around Commissionable Services forum for someone who can accomplish it. I know it's probably easier said than done, but you said you wanted something a bit more mature for him/her, so I'd consider that a start.

The only thing I can think of with the MSD is that maybe it's not the looks that's the problem, but the doll its self. Maybe it's just not what you actually wanted in a doll. I could of course be wrong. If it's that you have a specific style in mind but can't find the clothes, I'd have the same suggestion as fo the Yo-SD.

Maybe you should try talking your ideas out with someone, or make lists or drawings? I agree with ZennoSaji though, definitely do not settle!

Good luck sorting it out! &#9829;

20. 1) Am I the only one that's this picky?
      No, I'm pretty darn picky! This is why I would never *ever* try to make a character or PC into a doll. I'd just get annoyed!

2) How do you deal with being so picky? Do you settle for whatever, or do you keep plugging away on a quest to find the "perfect" wig and clothes (a quest that may never come to an end)?

1. Research and Be general. I start with a broad idea/theme, learn as much as I can, find as many pictures and examples as I can, and then work it down to a specific look. This can be an ongoing process, but gives me a wide range of possibilities to choose from. In the end the thing I'm left searching for is usually the perfect toy or prop.

2. Be patient. Sometimes the perfect wig/outfit/etc. is sold out. Stalk the MP and become familiar with the picture request and buying q&a forums.

3. Evaluate and negotiate. You said you can't sew, well neither can I! What I can do is mend a tear, sew on a button...little basic things. If I see something that could work if one thing was different, I ask myself if it is something that can be changed. An outfit that would be perfect for my Victorian boy if it wasn't drowning in lace? If it looks like the structural integrity of the outfit isn't riding on the lace I'll buy it and take it off with a seam ripper. I also ask myself if something is absolutely necessary to the look. I only do that after I've exhausted every possibility I can think of. If it's not something that will hinder the entire look, then I let it go for the moment. I go back to my big general idea and start the searching process again.