1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Sock dresses and the anger they seem to generate.

Nov 11, 2010

1. I think my next gallery post may well be: Soom in a Sock With The Toe Cut Off.

Be afraid.

2. I have no problem with people using socks as clothes for their dolls (Heck, I even do it myself!) as long as you put some effort into making the clothing look decent.

One of the things that surprised me the most, was that I did a photo shoot recently with one of my dolls, and decided to have him wear a sock-hoodie I made earlier this year as it looked warm mad fuzzy for fall photos. After I put those photos up, I was bombarded with questions about WHERE I BOUGHT HIS SWEATER. I had to tell everyone that it was actually a sock, made into a hoodie that I mad made, and most people were shocked.

If you have a nicely-made outfit from a sock, I think it goes to show that it can be a great addition to any dolls 'closet'.

3. This is exactly how i feel on this subject. Seriously, your browser has a back button, use it.

4. I think just about everyone who has commented saying they don't like sock dresses does just this. We see, we don't like, we leave the page. I've not seen any posts to suggest they were doing something to the contrary.

5. No, to pretty much every question. It's really none of my business or my doll, and not really worth thinking or caring about.

6. After having READ some of these posts, I have to say: Holy cow, what are some of you smoking?

Does this mean my Chalco is ugly because I took a fuzzeh sock and made a skirt out of hit to COVER HIS BOYPARTS IN PUBLIC?

There are other posts I might try to pick apart, but really, unless it's something like, if one of my brothers used one of my socks from when I smashed my toe (I threw them away, they had blood on them) to make something to cover them, I'd be livid, because DUH, it's stupid, but again, no reason to complain about what someone else puts on their doll.

What's that golden rule again? If you don't have anything nice to say, DON'T SAY IT.

7. I have three points.

-Everyone has to start somewhere.
      -Sometimes it's just being thrifty and I applaud their craftiness if its executed well.
      -It's not my doll, I don't have to answer for it.

Lastly, I'll close with this:
      I have a ton of dolls. They range in clothing from Luts, Dollmore, Barbie, handmade, and...a tree skirt from Hobby Lobby.

Sometimes, you just WANT it to look that way!

8. The way some of these posts read people almost act like they're being forced to look at dolls in sock dresses 24/7. I just think it's really silly to get all bent out of shape by a doll wearing something that is not to your personal liking.

9. I've had that happen, both with one of my own sock hoodies as well as asking someone where they got that nice doll sweater from and then hearing they made it from a sock. You can make some really nice clothes from socks. It's just when I see people trying to sell "sweaters" that are nothing more than a sock with the toes cut off and then with some holes cut in them for the arms, I have to scratch my head.

10. So what you're saying is that if someone begins a discussion thread asking "do you like X?" (as the OP in this thread has), people are only allowed to answer if they do in fact like X?

11. This.

But also my own two cents on the matter.

It is entirely your choice as to how you dress your doll, just as it is up to others as to how they dress theirs, and of course people have their own oppinions and are entitled to them. But if a person likes dressing up their doll in tatty socks then that's entirely their choice as the doll belongs to them. Just as I would not be so rude as to tell someone not to dress their doll in a certain way, I expect that common courtesy from others as it is -my- doll that I am dressing.

If sock dresses make you rage, don't look at dolls wearing them. Press the back button on your browser as has already been suggested.

12. LOL Snow this made my day XD
      - Do you have an aversion to sock dresses?
      Not really. Frankly, clothes are not what bothers me 95% of the time...it's when people do horrible faceups on a doll seems to bother me more. But to each his/her own really. I would never say mean or cruel things to a person because I feel their clothes or faceup for their doll is not well done. I try to keep mean things like that to myself x3 Don't want to hurt anyone's feelings!

- Do you think it makes a doll less of a doll when it doesn't have what the avarage owner calls proper clothing?

Nah. The doll is a doll. Doll clothes are a extra expense, so I kinda get why people try to go as cheap as possible. Also it's their doll who cares x3

- Do you think less of the owner when they choose to either have a temporary sockdress or a permanent sock dress?

Oh hell no. I don't know them, or their financial situation so it isn't my place to think low of them because of how they dress their doll. lol. That's slightly over the top! In my opinion.

- Let me now how you feel about sock dresses in general.

I've seen a couple and they are honestly cute, depending on whats done to them. I'm more focused on the doll itself more than it's clothing!

13. http://www.allcrafts.net/fjs.htm?url=dorriebelle.tripod.com/id27.html

There you go!

14. Ah, but that brings out a whole other can of worms. How do we judge horrible?

Because some of the ones I've done in the past are disgusting. I think the ones I have now are fairly cute. But someone else might not have the same opinion, so...

That's the problem with a customizable hobby. What is one man's treasure, is another's horror. XD

(And I say that because I've had random strangers AT WORK come up and say, "Dear God, that's horrendous, I think I'll have nightmares" and that's forced me to take everything down in fear. What would I do if someone in the hobby said that?)

15. TrevviesBaby wrote: Please, if I myself could wear a sock dress everyday, I would do it.

Catzilerella wrote: ... angry-sock-hater person ... (I can imagine Corky from "Waiting for Guffman" using this phrase.)

xtal wrote: Myself, I prefer my grain of salt to have a margarita attached to it.

TrevviesBaby (again) wrote: What about... I don't know, what's on the INSIDE? (Well, yeah, it's resin... but I mean the owners...)

Emby Quinn wrote: I have an aversion to sloppily made clothing, be it constructed from sock material, T-shirt material, panne velvet, raw silk, or pork chops.

Ostrich wrote: Really REALLY?! We're now living in a world where adults angst over sock dresses on a doll?

Wow.

Fortunately I have the perfect solution:

1. Find a picture of a doll in a sock dress.
      2. Look at the top of your browser. There should be an arrow pointing to the left.
      3. PUNCH THAT SUCKER.

I think this is officially my favorite thread ever.

- polyhymnia, who has never seen one of these dreaded sock dresses

16. Frankly, I can't even remember the last time I've seen a snip-snip horrible sock dress. I usually look at box openings specifically to see the naked pristine dolls to see what they're like! I HAVE seen some shirts without hems made from old teeshirts or other clothing. And I have seen expensive clothing unravelling when that wasn't the style idea.

As someone above also said, I have more of a reaction to really slapdash, crudely heavyhanded or splotchy faceups, but hey, if the owner is happy, it's not my doll and not my business, and I don't have to look.

OTOH, I like socks. Firstly, I don't sew well. I'd like to say YET, but who knows how much time I'll be devoting to getting better than just a decent mender of garments. And if I want a cute holiday sweater for someone and the alternatives are buying a festive $1 sock from the front rack at Target, with a perfectly proportionate design, or investing money in supplies, tools, and then learning to knit for months in advance, for a 1-hour photoshoot -- guess which way I'm going to go. Hell, I've made Halloween costumes for my horde out of dog outfits. And fabric dog TOYS. I don't think I'm allowed to have any elitist opinions about anything!

Armelia coined the term - "sock apathy". I like that. And I'll add others like your-mileage-may-vary, to each his own, it takes all kinds, etc., etc. I'm thrilled to see dolls that are dressed and presented spectacularly, but there are sculpts that no amount of frills will make me warm to. And dolls that I like, well, you can dress them in cheesecloth and gum wrappers, and I'll still enjoy looking at them.

17. Supposing the doll is portraying a character who actually WEARS sock dresses out of choice? What then?
      I'm fine with sock dresses, sack dresses, bin liner dresses. People could clothe their dolls in stapled-together bits of potato skin and I wouldn't mind. When I got my first doll he wore shirts made out of socks, because I had no fabric or money, but I made them carefully and I was happy with the result, so IMO that's what really counts!

18. I think the sock dress is a stage that most owners go through in the very beginning. Sometimes the doll beats their clothes home, sometimes you really want to try making stuff yourself but your handmade items aren't ready but you still want to show off your brand new dolly (and why wouldn't you?!), so you put the doll in a quick sock dress and snap away.

I do feel that this is a transitional stage though. I would hazard a guess and say that in time most owners will either improve in their own sewing or commission someone else or buy clothes directly from a company rather than stick with a sock dress long term.

I used socks quite a lot in the early days of my collection because I didn't know where to buy clothes for my doll that would fit, so I bought a lot of pretty socks in a variety of colours and cut and shaped those socks into clothing for my doll. I actually still have a cardigan made from a sock that I'm still pretty proud of, even if the stitching is all wibbly :D Lots of creative things can be done with a pair of socks and an endless imagination.

I think what a lot of people don't understand is why some people will keep dressing their dolls in dirty or fraying socks. I really don't understand this either. BJDs are so beautiful, it inspires me to dress them beautifully as well. I don't understand why anyone would put a BJD in a badly fraying sock when there are other inexpensive ways to dress your doll.

19. I know that my poor boy will probably be wearing very little "real" clothing for quite a while, since I will be customizing him for some time... so it seems perfectly acceptable to me if someone uses simple material to dress their doll during a transition. :) And if the outfit pleases you, hey, why not? So long as you're not just sticking your doll in something to save money or time... isn't some dedication what a fun hobby is all about?

20. Yes. but Hobby, you're made of so much awesome and win that we would love you and your dolls no matter what. XD

At least, I would. :3