1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Soom Gneiss- Birth of A Goddess

Mar 6, 2012

1. Uh uh uh!
      [​IMG]
      Symbol used for pharmacies and medicine :)

maybe shes a nurse? x'D

2. I'm not sure if I hope for her to be a naga or not...on the one hand..OMG naga I would die! But I'm kinda poor...I could do it..but it'd be tight. ^^; If she's a naga I think I am doomed. I love her face so far and I like the wings/snakes thing going on.

Can't wait to see more!

3. Her face is gorgeous, from what I'm seeing so far! I agree with others who mentioned that the wings and the snakes is a bit much all together. So far, I can't say that I'm safe from her! I suppose I'll know for sure when we get more pictures.

4. While hiking in the North Cascades, Mr. polyhymnia and I will inevitably remark "That's gneiss" in a "That's nice" tone of voice. Such hilarity ... it just never gets old.

5. I am in the "pretty snakes!" camp, but I like snakes. :p A naga would be a-maz-ing, but I'm unsure if anyone has tried to pull that off yet with these kinds of joints. Who knows! I think it's possible, but would probably be a system of joints similar to ribcage and hip joints. No ball joints for snakes!

6. Her face seems so strong and beautiful! And oh my, I am indeed a sucker for translucent resin, I may have to find me a way to nab even at least the wings..... ._.

I'm in the "DAMN YOU, SOOM!" camp >.>

7. I would be... royally... broke if she was a Naga... in one way I hope she is... on the other hand... I hope she isn't :<

8. I can't wait to see the rest of the pictures! I'm blown away by just the teaser! AH!

9. hmmm do I see large breast again? x)
      I really really liker her wings&snakes! :D

10. Hmmm, it's actually the classical representation of Medusa.

She evolved from a hideous and grotesque monster in Archaic Art to a beautiful maid with snakes in her hair, and yes, wings in her head in Classical and Hellenistic Art, a nod to the formerly huge wings she had when she was a monster.

And that's actually the representation... Versace used as a logo! :)

Here is the most famous roman copy, the Medusa Rondanini:
      [​IMG]

And another neo-classical work (ca 1854) by one Harriet Goodhue Hosmer depicting Medusa in a similar way:
      [​IMG]

So quite sensibly Soom tapped into the later beautiful versions for documentation.

I'm curious to see the full doll... and the following ones. :D

Will she have other special parts? She never had a snake tail in Greek Mythology but after Ray Harryhausen's great animatronic in the first "Clash of the Titans" movie, every modern representation has Medusa sporting snaky coils below her waist. That would make interesting parts indeed. A double snake-tail, maybe, reminiscent of Cass's double fish tail??? But something "snakier"???
      Anyway, fitting for a Goddess of the Underground. :)

... unless she is the Deity of Wisdom. Which would be poetic justice, as in Greek Mythology, the actual goddess of wisdom, Athena, was responsible for Medusa's transformation into a monster and her later murder by Perseus.

11. I don't think there's been an SD sized Soom doll I've ever been super interested in, but from what little I can see this one looks gorgeous! I can't wait for more details and pictures! :D

12. Her face is gorgeous but terrible timing since I just got my school tuition information and I still have a Soom Tomber Hybrid on layaway .___. poop! Her face is SO pretty.

13. Here's a pic of a roman mosaic of medusa:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/76/Medusa_tiles.JPG/400px-Medusa_tiles.JPG

L
      ate classical art puts wings on medusa's head as well as snakes, and depicts her as a beautiful woman.

14. Agree with you on the wrong timing, I hope I don't like her but I have a feeling I will.

15. Hellooooo, Nurse! :wiggle
      I will name her Donatella. :D

Seriously, I didn't think I could be captivated by another Super Gem girl after so many years! Oh noes!! :O

16. For the little bit of research I did (just now), the might be giving her horse legs

http://monsters.monstrous.com/medusa.htm

17. It's kind of scary how well that mosaic looks like Gneiss x'D

But yeah, I have heard that Medusa was either a gorgon with one eye, or a beautiful woman who was cursed because of her beauty.

Can't wait for tonight! X3 Debating if I am gonna stay up all night or wait until morning with seeing her x'D

18. Her legs are the serpent tail? Look forward to quickly see all of the pictures!^^

19. Seem like she has a beautiful face, Good job Soom!

When I saw her my first thought was Medusa but I love idea that she is a nurse. XD

About Medusa I read that Poseidon raped her in Athena temple and Athena was so offended and she turned Medusa into a monster.

20. Yeah, Medusa was not the most liberated of Greek myths. :| But she also had two sisters as I recall, which means she likely had an older history as a triadic goddess, and that makes sense that they made her ugly and evil later on; that happens to older triadic goddesses. :)

I think this Medusa is lovely, and I can't wait to see her entirely. I don't recall Medusa being a centaur and certainly not a Naga, but I do recall she had interesting hands, so I would expect some fantasy hands here.

.hlp