1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Soom Idealian 51 Discussion

Mar 4, 2011

1. Sleet is a Soom Auber Storm Sprite in grey. The other greys are from RS (dark grey), Lume (zombie skin), Illusion Spirit and 5Star (dark grey special order). And oddly enough, I go have a grey comparison shot as somebody had asked for one.
      [​IMG]

The SD is Saraf, a 5Star Dark in their grey resin, which is actually very close to the grey of Sleet (the Soom Auber in his lap) although one must bear in mind that Sleet is from the original release so I can't say if the 5Star would match new releases of Soom grey. The shirtless one is Dolf, a Lume Light Blaze in zombie skin, which is grey with a greenish cast to it. The MSD with the grey wig is Sarojin, an Illusion Spirit Zhu Quing and he's holding Vashin, an RS Bao in their dark grey.

2. Ohh they look amazing!!! Thank you for sharing a picture :D.

3. I've renamed my Cuba. He is now Jamie Fraser (as in the hero of Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series). Here he is with his Claire, a Butterfly Narae.
      [​IMG]
      His brooch, which I ordered online, was advertised as "small". I can't imagine what their "large" looks like! I made everything except the brooch, wigs and shoes.

4. The outfit looks amazing. You did a great job.

5. Thanks! I had a lot of fun putting the outfits together. There is nothing like a kilt for dressing a hard-to-fit doll.:XD:

6. I have a doll that can't wear pants because of the dragon feet I had him modded to wear. Well, he could wear pants if I was willing to take his feet off every time I needed to change his pants... which I'm really NOT interested in doing. I want to make him a kilt but I never seem to get around to it. The poor guy has been nekked for at least 2 years *sighs*.

Did you wing it on the kilt or did you use a pattern from somewhere? II also love the tiny sporran.

7. make 'breakaway pants (aka stripper pants XD)... open the outer sides of the pants top to bottom and then use the super thin velcro... it can be done so the closure looks like a folded seam... can't show you since my only example was theatre costume for humans years ago... split the back of a suit jacket the same way in high school.

8. That is an idea I'll have to consider. Wrap pants would be an option except I have an entire species that wears that style as part of the cultural costume and it would be weird to mix my groups like that.

9. the idea though is to make the split pants look like normals ;P

10. I did understand that's what you meant with the look like normal thing for the pants with velcro. I meant that wrap pants would work as far as dressing goes, but that it would visually mess with my group to have Gunari wearing them. I've also toyed with the idea of grommets to do some lace-up pants but I suffer from chronic laziness and can't motivate myself to go to that much effort for a look he doesn't require (as cool as it would be).

11. I modified an MHD Designs pattern (for 18 inch Kaye Wiggs Girls) for a pleated skirt. Of course, to fit him it had to be longer and wider, but it gave me a workable diagram for the pleats. I also added darts to the overlapping flat panels, because without them you can't really fit the waist without pulling the front all out of shape. The pattern calls for lining the skirt. I didn't, and cheated further by pulling threads to fringe the bottom instead of making a hem.

The sporran was easy. I looked at a few images online and one pattern, then I recreated it freehand. I just wish I had made it a wee bit larger.

I agree with Tiku that male stripper pants should work well for your guy. Lace-up pants would also be cool but I would rather not deal with grommets myself. They're a little too permanent if you make a mistake.

12. Cool. I never thought of using a girls pleated skirt pattern. Thanks for the tip!

Lace-up pants would be really cool but aside from the PITA of working with grommets, I'd need to use ones intended for scrapbooking as the doll in question is a mature tiny and I'd have to have some sort of... lining behind the grommets so they wouldn't scratch his resin and possibly the airbrushing of his lower legs (they're airbrushed green to help hide the total resin mis-match).

And to be on-topic for this thread, I'm eager to get going on creating some clothes for Rhas-Khan (Gulino Xmas kit) but feel like I should wait for him to come home else I risk making him stuff that doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of fitting him. I've casually looked around in the crafting threads but haven't seen any with patterns specific to this funny size. Have you guys who sew for your ID51's just made your own patterns or is there a reference/resource for them?

13. The closest patterns to ID51 size that I've found are those for Tonner 19 inch male dolls, available from Designs by Jude Designs by Jude featuring Fletcher Pattern Company . They also sell on eBay. Jamie's shirt uses the Dandy 1700s suit pattern. I lengthened it a bit to make sure it wouldn't pop out of the kilt. I probably should have lengthened the sleeves also to compensate for not attaching lace to the cuffs. Next time.

They also sell 1/8 inch plastic snap backs for eyelets/grommets, so you don't have to scratch the doll's resin.

14. Cool! Thanks for the link. I saw 2 patterns I liked and that would probably work with the style I have in mind not only for Rhas-Khan, but Eilian as well (he'll be a SD Vito).

15. I haven't tried the shirt on my Vito but I'm sure it will fit. He's not quite as beefy on top as ID51. I don't know how pants and coats from these patterns will fit. I may sew muslin versions first to see where I need to adjust them.

16. Good to keep in mind about the coats as the 2 patterns I like are for coats.

I've got one of those beefy/not beefy things going on with 2 of my other dolls One has a more muscled chest and more junk in the trunk that the other so of course, my hopes of them being able to share clothes without requiring patterns to be altered has been dashed *sigh*. Story of my dolling life. 40 dolls... 30 different patterns.

17. I like dolls to be able to share clothes and patterns, too. Not happening too often these days, though.

18. I have some that I can squeak away without changing patterns but those are few and far between. I'm not even talking about stuff that is form-fitting. I've got 2 dolls with more booty than others in the same size and just for them, they need pants with more backend material because I can't get the other pants up over their tushes. Of course, the pants would fit fine everywhere else (waist, leg length, inseam).

19. Anyone receive their Gluino yet ?
      I finally paid mine off, can't wait to see him :)

20. I paid in full for my Gluino (I got the grey skin Xmas kit) on January 2nd. April 11th will be 100 days (inclusive of weekends & holidays). My order still says preparing/before shipping *sigh*. There will be shrieks of joy when that finally changes to shipping. I'd heard that Soom is a little behind on orders but I'm not sure if that is true or not.