1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Soom Idealian: Hyperon - Dhampir

Dec 20, 2010

1. ^^ The intention /is/ obvious, anyone who has read/watched D could see the similarity's are unmistakable.

I'm just hoping he isn't pulled LOL

2. *giggle*.... just noticed this.

Maybe we should call him Simba? ;)

3. Except that not everybody flipped out over the previous instances of 'inspired by'/'homage to'/etc.

Seriously though, can we all not do this again? If it's a legal matter, it's for the courts, not for all of us to start running around like chickens with our heads cut off. To the best of my knowledge, no one here is a copyright -- or more on point a trademark -- litigator.

4. I see the D resemblance, but to be honest, I also see Van Helsing (potentially long coat, the hat) and Underworld. Steampunk is hot right now, and this pseudo-Victorian meets the wild west look is in. I think Soom's ok in this instance.

5. Just to be clear about this so called issue about homage etc:
      i really don't see any problems with this ID, even if is similiar in costume and also a bit in the face sculpt (the ears maybe?) with vampire huner D,as i don't seen any in Judges from Ring doll any issue,but several people complained towards RingDoll itself saying that Judges was a Grell copy and not an homage, i really wish that people,just for intellectual honesty, consider that soom tooken ispiration from manga blooddust too.
      Said so i have nothing to say further more,as i like it and i will probably order him.

6. I was also thinking the very same thing last night. Just as everyone was saying Vampire Hunter D which I agree with I was also thinking Hugh Jackman ala the Van Helsing movie. In regards to the outfit anyway. And if the coat and hat had been red he could have been a potential Alucard from the Helsing manga.

7. Oh, it's really similar, actually. Part of the reason I like it. ;) Though it's part of the reason I like all of Soom's head sculpts for their mature dolls... they really, really look like three dimensional forms of Amano's artwork from the 80s and early 90s. My first male doll is a Soom Sabik Elf in WS... and he's a dead ringer for the character also; I picked him up to do a character doll to that end. He has the thin, wiry body that the ID series doesn't, too. :) (I still need to get off my rump and DO that.) Many of Soom's male heads fit the art style to perfection, so that in itself isn't unique to this doll. The hat, 'vampire hunter', and dhampir -- which, while not a word created for the series is one not in common use otherwise -- makes a very obvious allusion.

I am just not sure allusions are enough to raise a mob with torches and pitchforks, and that seems to be the first thing that happens around here.

My issue is that 'general concept' or even 'really obviously close concept' isn't always a legally actionable issue, even if everyone here gets up in arms about it. It also seems that the culture around pieces like this -- the 'heavily inspired by' dolls and art and so on, commercial or not -- is a little different in parts of Asia than it is in the US and Europe. I'm not necessarily comfortable making judgments based on the laws and standards of the US as though they are somehow universal, and I just really wish that practice was a bit more common. I think we, as a community, maybe just need to do a better job of letting the legal system decide the law, and stop presuming we (generic we, not meant to denote any specific people) know everything.

8. I agree completely with all that you said surreality,we are collector in the end,so legal problems it's out of our range or knowledge,just my two.

This is funny,as i never liked beefy body ^^" but i do likes Idealian..he will be the first one with that body!

9. He's really a hunter? VAMPIRE hunter? Do you think my boys will fight... if I get him? I have a vampire in the house... Gluino. >.> If they start to kill each other... oAo

10. Surreality is that Yoshitaka Amano?

lol I was having a similar funny thought. If anyone got this boy and they also had a Gluino, they'd better keep them apart for fear of....bloodshed. Or is that resinshed. :P

11. XD oh well just keep them separate!!!

12. Gyaaa... This calls for a pretty BL stuff... a vampire and a vampire hunter... XD~

13. Enough people did that they pulled the dolls, though. That was my point in, um, pointing it out. I would hate to see it happen again, OR, alternatively, have Soom be defended blindly just because it's Soom.

I agree with $abbatha -- it's more a matter of "intellectual honesty" if you wish to put it that way, and pointed directly at the people (and you KNOW there will be some) who were all up in arms about Grell but think this guy is fabulous -- not recognizing the inconsistency in their own thoughts.

I actually thought that all of the recently maligned "really obviously close concept" dolls were fabulous and good enough to stand on their own merits (well...except for the wig on the "Edward Moon" doll ;) ).

14. Yep. A lot of Soom's sculpts have a look very much like some of his illustrations from that time period. It's part of what made me adore their sculpts. :)

Baakay, I'm actually on the same page completely with you about this -- the people flipping out need to leave the law to the lawyers.

Reading these forums, you'd think it's a crime to be inspired by something in even the smallest way at times, when in fact it happens every day.

Weirdly, if he had the hand thing, I'd consider it to be going a bit too far for my personal comfort zone -- but that's me. Photon looks very much like some of the visualizations from various incarnations of the Phantom of the Opera, for instance, but (without hand thingie) I'd consider these currently on par for similarities. They aren't trying to directly market it AS D, which still makes a pretty big difference.

15. I'm so glad you mentioned him because I did a quick search and that's who popped up and now I know who did all that wonderful art for the early FF games. ^_^ In fact I kept my GBA boxes which feature his art just because I liked it.

But yes, in the end, as usual it's just going to be a matter of conscious and what each person is comfortable with.

I hope more pictures go up today though, considering he goes on sale in a day.

16. :...( I am toast. my bank account is toast.

17. Here's the teaser picture:
      HYPERON

i have nothing more to add as Baakay and surreality says it all.

18. Surreality, that's downright logical of you. :) I have my own moral qualms about this, in fact. However, I will probably go in for this doll. I will try to keep in mind what you've said here to help with the guilt, but I think this will continue to be a hard issue in terms of one's personal beliefs (whether they support this sort of issue, or not). I'm waiting to see what Soom does here, and whether he gets pulled (which I hope he doesn't). For the most part, I'm trying to keep the moral quandry to myself on this thread.

19. Hey $abbatha -- me too re. ordering this doll. I have to wait on the pictures though, and have to look at my budget. I'm horribly boring and practical that way. Oh, and where's $avage? It's odd not to see her weigh in on a Soom doll, yeah? <g>

20. He is smexy, and yes, dhampir isn't solely a D thing, I believe Blade from the Marvel movies is also supposed to be a dhampir, no?

I honestly think he's the hawtness, but last night I dreamt about...the durn hat, LOLOL! ^ ^ There's something so wrong about my subconscious wanting to clothe my existing dolls, but I think he's amazing, and will now reserve judgement until the rest of the pics come out. Probably tomorrow, y'think? I hope he's super-Steampunk though, it would be so awesome...

.hlp