1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Soom Idealian: Hyperon - Dhampir

Dec 20, 2010

1. Ok bad news : poor wallet... seems I'm soomed again after a very long time !
      I really wanted an idealian and Hyperon may be the one !

Can't wait to see more pics of him to be sure though. But he really looks great already !

2. I can't help but agree with the 'I'm not a ligator' part of this logic. I also want to ask around here, how many peopole are going to be dissuaded from collecting him because he's so big. I was really surprised how heavy the IDs were. I mean, there are things about the ID body I really appreciate, like really-much, but even getting a grip on him is a workout! LOL! He's a big boy! My biggest problem would be where to put him. He'd be too heavy for the second shelf of my doll cabinet, so I can't get many IDs. My big fear? I put money on this ID and they finally put out an ID femme. I will be toast...!

3. Oh weel obviously i shall await too for the new pics,and then i will order,i'm ready with my cc already full of money XD!
      XD we're noisy aren't we?I guess that she don't find interesting this last ID ^^"
      NOOO oh NO!Pray that ID line will stay as merely MALE line!Oh plz!!!
      Bunny i really wants him,badly,so i don't mind about where i will place him,i would solve the problem later,the main thing is order him!!!

4. Agree on agreeing here, I want an ID Femme so bad! D: I don't really like the newsest edition to the ID's but it does mean that they will make the other Anti Idealians out there. It would be beyond great to not only be able to get the warewolf but to have it a Femme!

5. Him, the Grell doll and most/all MNM heads all belong (in my mind) to the same "iffy" category. I do agree that we should leave the law to the lawyers. And you always have the power to vote with your wallet. :)

He certainly is pretty! I'm going to be keeping a close eye on this one.

6. I wonder, why a manufacturer like Soom, which until now has been one of the most original and innovative is to take a famous person and gifts?
      are more similarities than the differences!
      http://wk.frothersunite.com/imag/d08.jpg
      beyond that already exists a market for gadgets related to series Vampire Hunter D
      could make an official version!
      I just would rather not defend this choice, because it speaks of the Soom!
      still waiting to see the photos!
      currently is the doll that I liked most of all!:aheartbea

7. Maybe they just noticed it's good market. Or well maybe this sound silly, but maybe they didn't know Vampire Hunter D. I can only speak for myself, but I didn't know this series, although I read manga and have friends who read Vampire Hunter D. I don't know. But when I saw Hyperon first I didn't think of the series nor of Hugh Jackman from Van Helsing although I know the movie. Just what a great doll and that he could be my Feilong ;). It's not necessarily that Soom got their inspiration from that, even if it is famous. I've designed many characters for my stories and much later when somebody saw it who knews the manga or other asked me if I knew the source, which had been quite famous. ^^ This can happen. ;)
      Of course as comics are very popular in Asia it's more likely they knew Vampire Hunter D. Or at least the one who designed his clothes. ^^

8. I don't care, this guy rules and I'm soomed yet again.

9. You'll find resin dust all over your house. ;)

I don't think the face looks too much like D, but I guess it depends on what else is included. (Anyone wondering about the left hand?)

10. Hahaha. And an Idealian brain laid out on the floor.

I think that's the one thing many of us are waiting to see.

11. In the original novels D wore a long coat. And the whole inspiration for the novel series was "wild west meets gothic vampire saga." Also, in the original Amano paintings, D had a bit more of a human tint to him. It was later that he lost much of his pigment and gained a ton of scarves.

I wouldn't have cared about this "homage" either if there hadn't been a such a huge controversy (I had a better, scatological term in mind really. . . ended in "storm" ;)) over the others. Essentially because of that chances were ruined for people to buy perfectly lovely sculpts that could stand on their own merit and not rely on some "character." Hell, I might have been tempted to buy Hyperon myself. . . even if it meant going into debt. However, the hypocrisy bothers me enough that I won't do it.

But I have an out. . . I can sculpt. ;)

12. blah blah blah.
      /nuff
      Sexy! Can't wait to see more. =D

13. Argh! I can't make up my mind... I want an Id man, and even though this guy is hot, not sure if he is exactly what I'm looking for. I am seriously regretting not getting Brennan :(

It's probably just me, but for some reason, he looks like a mix between Sabik and Chrom?!? (probably just me and my crazyness)

14. He is pretty hot...I am waiting to see the other pictures to make up my mind for sure. My Gluino says he wants a girl not another brother LOL

15. Ereskigal, "but maybe they didn't know Vampire Hunter D." ... um, no, I don't think that's really possible. Look at the picture in the link Atra posted. Check the sword hilt. Then look at our fine-looking Hyperon. The hat's pretty obvious, but that one-of-a-kind sword clinches it for me.

Xtal, I'll be darned. You're right -- but as you're my go-to D expert I don't know why I should be surprised -- the earlier Amano art IS more flesh-colored. I guess I've just gotten so used to the cover illustrations for the novels that I think of him as really... "drained" ;).

and sorry, people can "blah blah" all they like but it is a legitimate question to ask ourselves, really... where do the witch hunts end and if we AREN'T lawyers (which I stated in the "Grell" discussion) ... why the heck does this keep coming up over and over?

If it's not ok for one company, it shouldn't be ok for another, no matter how pretty the sculpt. OR, it should be ok for all of them. OR we should all shut up and start checking the sofa cushions for spare change and hope we have enough to buy him (<-- my personal favorite).

16. So amazing, yeah, my Gluino's not thrilled with the whole 'you're looking at getting a guy' thing either, but what's a girl to do? Damn, that's a nice hat! ^ ^

.hlp

17. Do you think they will sell the sword with the doll? Do the ID's normally come with props? It looks kinds photoshopped in the promo pic I dunno.

18. Baakay, thank you for this - I came in here with JUST the express intent of posting what you just said. I was angry about the Grell doll incident, and honestly very irate that people went on some odd moral crusade against RingDoll over it... As irritated as I am about some early comments here trying to downplay and ignore the very obvious homage and inspiration from Vampire Hunter D in this particular Idealian.
      Amusingly enough the boyfriend and I mentioned to each other "Watch, if Soom ever does it, people are going to be okay with it." And it seems that's the case. There are those trying to rationalize away his striking resemblance to Vampire Hunter D, the obvious inspiration of the sword and whatnot. Sorry, all, but that's a D-homage, plain and simple...
      And guess what? There's NOTHING wrong with that! The homage, I mean, not that people are picking and choosing what companies are too holy to call on "offenses".
      I personally think that if Minimees are on-topic and allowable, that people need to shove it regarding homage/inspired-by dolls like the Grell and this particular Idealian. We aren't equipped to debate international copyright laws (unless the people doing the debating are lawyers specializing in said laws AND are under retainer to said company pursuing said intellectual interests) and shouldn't get up in arms. The number of people ranting "Oh NO dey di'nt!!" style about the Grell doll made me so angry that I didn't even reply to that thread in sheer disgust.
      That said... honestly this is the first Idealian I'd ever consider buying. I love Vampire Hunter D beyond words, I own most of the novels in the original Japanese and enjoy re-reading them repeatedly... so... Damn you Soom, you may actually get a few pennies out of me yet.

19. Okay, not to be rude here but... where are all the people that were up in arms about RingDoll's Judges? Seriously?
      I know a lot of people are saying that this is different and... yes, I'll agree with them on that but not for the same reasons.
      I'd say that because the Judges doll was just their Spencer scuplt done with a different face up and an homage outfit and was actually only an homage outfit with a face up to show the versitility of the scuplt and Hyperon IS Vampire Hunter D but I guess everyone else is saying that it's okay because it's Soom and this boy is GORGEOUS!
      Why is THIS doll okay to buy and not make a fuss over but Judges wasn't? I'm going to go to RingDoll and show them all of this, begging them to bring Judges back.

20. You know what? Not once in the past have I outbirked because a company made an "homage" doll, even when it was one based on a series I wish would burn in the fiery pits of Hell. I'll be nice and keep the series a secret so as not to offend anyone.

It always made me so mad when people threw such fits about them that people were unable to order a doll they might have been dreaming of for years. How many people wanted Grells and Edwards and those sorts of things, but had the chance taken because a bunch of people screamed bloody murder when the dolls were released? And I've noticed a huge level of hypocrisy when it comes to these things. This isn't the first time Soom has released an homage doll. The third time at least, actually. And not once have they had to pull the dolls because people threw such hissy fits. But there have been countless other companies that have done it and had to do just that. I'm not saying we should make Soom stop, though. I just think it's despicable that people can be so two-faced.

No, I don't know the legalities behind dolls like this. As an artist, I should probably be more upset by something like this. But I've always seen fan art and homage art as wonderful compliments to the originals. As long as the original is credited and they are open about what they are referencing, and as long as they don't blatantly take the exact art from someone else and sell it without making their own work (IE: taking one person's photograph and copying it and selling it as their own) or saying that the image/work of art is absolutely original, then there's nothing wrong.

All of that being said, if I can get the funds for him, I think I'll be doing everything I can to order him. I've been wanting a Vampire Hunter D for years. I'd decided on settling for Vampire Moon from Feeple, but this is just gorgeous!