1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Soom Idealian: Hyperon - Dhampir

Dec 20, 2010

1. That's been my take on all of these issues, actually. I've kept a consistent position on this issue, because... I'm not a lawyer. DANG if I haven't seen people react with even more ignorance than I have on this issue from time to time, though -- at least I have the luck of having had to work with legally licensed material in the past in a legal way and have a teensy bit of understanding about just how dazzlingly complicated it is -- I know just enough to know how much I don't know. I see a lot of people screaming like they know everything who... don't. They're just frothing out of outrage.

This is the first one I'd consider buying, but the reason I avoided the others had nothing to do with the controversy, and everything to do with this silly notion that I shouldn't spend vast chunks of money on things I have no interest in or don't like. Crazy talk, I know. ;)

Seriously. Don't invite the people who froth for sport in to continue frothing for sport. That seems to be what people are crying out to have happen. This forum isn't for frothing for sport. Is anyone else sick to frickin' death of it? Mercy knows I was way back on the Nobility FrothFest, and I am seriously glad I missed whatever the Ringdoll one was.

Edit: For all the people saying 'Oh people are just saying it's ok because it's Soom' -- how many of the same people are commenting? And have any of them changed their opinion on the broader issue? I'd find it interesting and suspicious if they had, but if it isn't the same crowd of posters, or if none of the posters in all convos have changed their positions, this whinging about hypocrisy is woefully misplaced -- more pointless outrage, seriously, do we really need outrage over lack of outrage? SERIOUSLY?!

2. Trust me, Surreality, I've been sick of it since it first happened. You're not the only one.

3. Can we stop the debating? ^^ It's very crystal clear that he doesn't come from whatever manga/anime you mentioned. A similarity is not the same as a minimee. A minimee is created to copy, this one clearly isn't. >.> Same outfit doesn't mean it's the same character, every doll on earth can cosplay but it's a cosplay for me... ^^ nothing more. Not an imitation... simply similar. o.O I don't know why you guys fuss so much. If people who think he's okay and not okay stop fuming, maybe the debating will stop? ^^ It's everyone's rights to buy or not to buy...

4. I hope you do it! :thumbup To me it's always been a question of fairness. If it's okay for Soom's homage then it should be okay for Ringdoll and Nobility Doll.

5. 1) I totally adore him, and that's pretty much it for me on a personal level. Sorry all!
      2) If you don't love him and are offended, this may not be the best place for you, maybe a thread should be started for people who are offended/upset with homage/lookalike dolls in general? The last thing I'd like to have are folks who are posting how outraged they are that I'm not outraged...as thrilled as people who are outraged will probably be reading this. Again. I'm genuinely sorry in advance. (_ _)'
      3) If someone things a law has been/may be broken, maybe the best place to comment would be to the media representative of a character/product for their country. I see people posting here who say they know people who are closely connected to the creator, voila, it should be easy to contact a rep of some kind. They're the people who have to defend their active copyrights.

Now, flame away, I can tell when a room's too hot for me.

.hlp

6. *sends flowers and chocolate* Seriously, I just want to enjoy the pretty and my happy hobby that is supposed to be free of witch hunts. Glad I am not the only one who feels that way.

7. I don't think it's so much flaming as genuinely asking people to consider calling others out on hypocrisy.
      That said, as stated in my post, I'm considering trying to purchase him, because I have no problem with homage/inspired-by dolls. I wanted a Judge, and I certainly want this Hyperion's head.
      I'm more irritated that there's attempts to insist that he doesn't look like he was inspired by D than anything else. Personally, I'd love a Vampire Hunter D in my collection.

8. All of this. I think there is a debate thread already on the subject. If my non-offensive simple question is being ignored so people can go GRAH RAWR ANGRY then I'm leaving this thread too.

Man I haven't been around long enough to know what the other major incidences people are talking about homage/copying whatever, and from what I'm reading here pretty glad I wasn't *_*

9. Obviously, you're not. >.> And I don't understand it all. There are only 1 or 2 unhappy campers who should not make us unhappy, too. I never even smirk once at Ringdoll's Judges (whatever that is because I'm not a fan of RD), but the outrage seems to get bigger when it involves a bigger company with more fans. =_=

Back to topic, everyone. ^^ Back to the gorgeous doll... *drools* SO! Who's getting Hyperon? X3

10. I am really going to try to. It would be a lonnnnnnnnnng layaway, but since the Amano-style-ish resemblance was what initially made me such a squeaky Soom fangirl, I am sooooo all over this one. ;)

And, yeah. :( Seems like Soom is the first runner up to Volks for the 'random company to develop a hate-on about'. (Lucky them... )

And, for the folks who are pining for a D, in case they do pull him over the eleventy-one-festival-of-outrage -- seriously, peek at the Sabik elf, picture him out of the elfygarb. It's impressively close. ;)

11. *Nomnoms on and shares hot chocolate with in return. 8>* Yeah, it's just downright ridiculous at this point. The only time I think there's any reason to do anything is when it's an outright recast. Unless the original creator comes forward and asks for the company to remove the dolls from their listing, it's not our place to say.

I have to agree with MCPO, though. There's no denying that this is D. I've been a fan of D for years, and while I'm no expert, the moment I saw him, there was no doubt in my mind who they were referencing. True, he can be used for other things. He would make a good Van Helsing and a good Alucard, sure. If you didn't know about the series VHD and didn't notice the resemblance, that's fine, but saying there's "no resemblance whatsoever" is just going to the other extreme of the "OMGCOPYRIGHT VIOLATIONS!" spectrum and just making it worse.

12. The Minimees aren't the problem here, granted, I think the Minimee is a different situation altogether because they are a commision service. What Soom is doing is selling a doll that is inspired by Vampire Hunter D and people seem to be giving them the pass while they screamed copyright infringement at Nobility Doll's Edward Moon (inspired from Twilight) and Ringdoll's Grell (I forgot the name of the anime). So much so that said companies pulled the dolls from their website. It hardly seems fair in my opinion.

13. I've already said it, and I so mean it. If I can, I'm getting him. HOLY CRAP, do I want to get him! Now...my sister just needs to get a job and start pulling her weight within the next few weeks so I can afford him. :...( He's BEAUTIFUL! And...yeah...D. D is amazing! Auuuuugh, I want him so bad!

14. Why don't you make another thread and accumulate followers? Or maybe we should make our own Hyperon thread and shoo people who don't like him out of that? ^^ Sorry but I'm just tired of all the debating. I don't like Vampire Hunter D whatever that is, and I'm a Twilight hater, and I've never been to Ringdoll... =A=

15. Because multiple threads on the same doll will be merged by the Moderators no matter what. Unless the topic is about copyright infringement dolls, which I believe already exists.

16. Then go there and fume all you want. o.O It's obvious that you and I don't belong in the same category and don't like to be together. I'll ask the mods about this. Hopefully we can get your SOOM hater thread soon. Thank you.

17. And this right here is what I'm talking about. It isn't copyright infringement, it's in another legal category all together. Seriously. Not the same thing.

Seriously, who are these people OK with this and not OK with other things? Or is it, maybe, that different people are posting, and the thinking on this issue is not so universal as the frothers would like it to be? I realize ZOMGOUTRAGE makes people go rageblind, but really. I am not seeing anybody who said 'EVIL' in the nobility thread saying 'YAYTEAM' here.

18. Fransyung, this is a thread about the doll. When Judges came out, the discussion thread about him was FILLED with people arguing this very same point. Just because you don't like what we're discussing, doesn't make it any less reasonable to discuss it here.
      I'm sorry you don't like hearing that and that apparently its resemblance to other dolls doesn't seem to effect you but it IS something that needs to be talked about.
      This ISN'T about Soom hating, it's about the fact that we're talking about this doll some how being above this discussion because Soom made it.
      It's a valid point that needs to be talked about, much like it was with Judges and Edward Moon.
      Honestly, you throwning the moniker of "Soom Hater" on people talking about the hypocrasy of the situation isn't helping. It's just showing a more childish side to a valid debate.
      Besides, I don't think a Soom hater would own a Monzo, two Epidos', a Breccia, a Galena and COUNTLESS Soom MD parts.

19. Excuse me, I didn't say I hate Soom, I'm just pointing out the cognitive dissonance that seems to be happening when tribute dolls are involved. Frankly, I don't care if they are tribute dolls are not.

20. Is it? Who says?

Again, I'm asking: who is saying this? Who has changed their position on the issue for this doll only? I am not seeing it. I am seeing a different tone here... but I am also seeing different participants. It's sortakinda relevant.