1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Soom June MD: 'Coquina- Eternal Destiny' discussion.

Jun 14, 2010

1. Speaking of Beryl got me thinking, hey, didn't Beryl have split hooves too? So I went to check them against Coquina's and realised that Beryl's hooves looked kinda very.... cartoony. And of a different shape, too.

Then, because someone mentioned that Coquina's hooves looked like Amber's with three joints instead of two, I went to check that out too. It seems that Amber's hooves are a bit more rounded, while Coquina's looks like it comes to a sharper point. The fur on Amber's hooves are also more rounded, while Coquina's is sharper and messier looking and spills over her hooves a bit more. Once more, I find Amber's hooves kinda cartoony, while Coquina's looks more realistic?

And since I was checking out girly hooves, I decided to take a look at Cuprit's, in comparison to this girl. To my surprise, they looked quite similar, more so than compared to the other two. The part above the ankle has more fur for Coquina than Cuprit, but the furriness just at the hooves gives me an impression that they are very alike, except that Cuprit's fur is finer, in thinner clumps while Coquina's look kinda leafy.

So that's 4 hoofy girls over 3 years for Soom, which isn't too bad, is it? The only thing is that, so far, all the girly hooves are split hooves instead of horsey hooves, compared to the boys, who have had 3 styles of hooves over 3 years of MDs (Sard cartoony split hooves, Heliot horsey hooves, Chalco pointy split hooves).

Anyway, the more I stare at Coquina, the more I think she would have been an awesome frog MD, even though something like that is impossible. I am now wondering, though, if her tan would match Chalco tan, because I was thinking of giving my boy a nice booby body..... hm.....

2. That was me XD
      I said that the coquina hooves are similiar to Amber's hooves,unless some slight difference,and obviously the 3 joint pieces versus the 2 pieces joints of Amber.
      But the coquina hooves shape still make me think to Amber.

3. Cuprit's hooves aren't split and pointy, though. They're more 'horsey' like Heliot's -- and clear blue resin. So they're fairly distinctive.

4. Yea, they are quite distinctive. Hm, yes, on second look, it seems that there's just a little groove cut into it? Of course, I'm just going by the Soom pics. ^_^

5. I really like the Coquina hooves, the pointy shape of them, the fluffiness of the (struggles for correct terminology....pastern?) hair and the three part leg. All good!

6. It's not even a groove so much as a slight... dent. They're (a bit boringly, IMHO) horsey, much like Heliot's. You don't even notice it unless you're looking for it. (I was sad over this, since I like the split hooves so much more. They're more graceful somehow.)

I don't recall which Amber's were, but I recall them being fairly different from Cuprit's. They've done pretty well in changing up the details on the hooves over all. Coquina's look a lot like Beryl's to me in structure, though they probably changed the details on them. I think they're the three part, with split hoof again, which is what Beryl's and Sard's were, though I'd bet it's a different mold.

7. i'm glad she exist and come with hooves! FINALLY, NORMAL SKIN HOOVES mwahaha!!
      xD
      i need NS hooves for one of my caracter and also i love her looooong fingers. >)

shes really pretty. i like pretty much everything about her: her face is cute, her dress is lovely... but i cannot afford her now, and her price will keep getting higher AND i wouldnt even know what to do with her :sweat i dont really have much girl caracters...

8. I she really, truly a Buffalo girl? :D

I have to say I'm not so keen on the hooves generally - not for myself, I love seeing other people's especially when they have been beautifully painted! - but it is interesting that she has split hooves.

I really like the skull mask. It wouldn't at all fit for my character though! I think if I was rich, I'd buy one Coquina in tan skin with all the bits and one pale one to be my character.

Yup...been Soomed at last XD

9. Yep i like alot the skull too X3

As for hooves MD soom,well even if several MD comes with different mold,as surreality said,it's true indeed that most of MD,with different joint (2 or 3) and mold ( horse,goat,deer,buffalo),comes with it...
      when we have only 3 themed birdie MD
      Euclase
      Galena
      Sphaler (ok a dragon but still claws)
      i'm speaking of course of super gem MD.

10. Sadly, though I LOVE horns, I'm not in love with hers, particularly since they don't match my character, so I can't see myself using them, which is such a shame (I'll be installing magnets for a set of forehead hooves instead). The skull mask I definitely won't be using, so in all likelihood I will probably sell or split it off when I place my order.

11. I think that you can easily split off then, skull and horns are the parts most valuable special parts from coquina i guess.

12. I thought Euclase was wonderful, apart from his droopy ears...and I liked Galena a lot. But I found the bird feet a bit scary!

13. Yep.. you're right,i like alot Euclase too,but imo even Bix or Vesuvia were kinda weird,i like a lot these two MD infact!!!
      But i have a macabre taste!!! XD

14. New pictures are up in Soom's gallery! This one shows the detail in her furry legs. And this one compares Coquina's bronze with Chalco's tan brown.

15. Oh cool! Thank you for pointing that one out, I always tend to miss their gallery pictures.

Her hooves really are lovely. I know some people are very 'oh no, hooves again', but I like the hooves. They've done a good job mixing things up on the details and making different versions. While I can see the category of 'hooves' being boring for some after a while, you can't say they don't make different styles each time.

Really, there's claws, paws, feet, fins, hooves... and they've done all of them at least once. Anything but tentacles or insect feet would be a repeat of a broad category at this point. It's never been about the broader category to me, though, but about the specific execution of the idea -- and they've never slacked in that department, IMHO.

16. The comparison photos between Coquina and Chalco... don't seem very helpful. *sighs* But if I trust the colours, I'd say that the resin does not match, so I'll just forget about getting her body for now and leave my Chalco as a femmy guy.

17. IMO chalco is more like moka color, and coquina is a sort of orange color, if you check in Coquina WR Vanessa put a pics taken to the Soom store, next to Apham, both are same color, more vivid then Chalco.

18. I think the problem with the Coquina/Chalco comparison is the lighting. It's different for each sculpt. It would've been better to take 2 blank pieces, set them together, and take a picture.

That being said, they look pretty close to me. I'm betting a little bit of blushing would cover up any differences.

19. Possibly soom had colled in the same way if they're the same resin color, simply soom colled coquina bronze, then i suppose sh'e a bit more vivd then chalco, IMO she's a sort of orange color, he's moka color, and i did not get why nobody likes her just because she's a different color then chalco....IMO a no sense....

20. IMO Chalco and Coquina aren't in the same skin,or soom would named at the same way....
      but even if two MD are in the same resin color, batch could be different
      thinks to Chrom...