1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Soom June MD: 'Coquina- Eternal Destiny' discussion.

Jun 14, 2010

1. I'm liking everything I see thus far except the face. Love the outfit, skin, hands, etc.

The face just doesn't have the elegantly delicate charm and proportions that drew me to Soom in the first place. It looks, well, a little too 'common anime' to me. Compared to exquisitely detailed sculpts like Lupin, Heliot, Olivine, Cass, and many of the others in the SG line, it just seems... well, a little too 'what every other company does'. It seems simplistic. Normally, I could see a SG head and know it's a Soom sculpt at a glance because their style is very distinctive. I don't think I could say the same about this head.

Chalco, blank more than faceupped, seemed to be heading in this direction, which I noticed only when I had him in hand. I was hoping that was a nudge rather than the preliminary step to an enormous leap in that direction. I hate to say it, but if I was interested in dolls with that style of face sculpt, I'd have a lot more of them to choose from from other companies.

I'm going to wait to see what the remaining photos look like before making up my mind on this one, and considering mod possibilities. It is primarily the eye shape I am not fond of, and that could potentially be modded into something else. On the up side, at least for the more aggressively anime-styled faces, this one is more like some of the ones from fairyland that I've seen in person in the collections of friends, and know they aren't necessarily as stylized-looking in person. Slight closing of the eyes would probably skew the balance back to something more realistic to my eye and not nag at me, and that is entirely within the realms of possibility.

2. Oh. I love her face, she looks so wise and just... amused at the world entirely with that faint upturn of her lips. I can't wait to see her entire body, but what I see so far is amazing.

3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippocamp -- It could happen! ;)

4. Midnite: I agree, if Soom is going to make all these different body types, they should definitely add an option for it!

Also... Kelpie, Kelpie, Kelpie!

5. Coquina is also the name of a tiny, tiny pink-white shell found on the US gulf coast. Beautiful!

6. love those hands and I can't wait to see that dress. Her face look really cute too! :)

7. You may be on to something.

She's not for me. Which is good, I can't bring anybody home right now (unless by a miracle I win a certain Williams One-Off, but I digress). surreality, I know what you're talking about. I like stylized, and even I wavered on Chalco for a LONG time because I felt he was somehow lacking detail around the bridge of the nose - he felt a hint under-sculpted to me. Now I like him a lot, but I think he does mark a shift in style from Soom.

I wonder if there might be a shift back in doll styles coming. There have been (in all affection) some pretty girly boys coming out from LUTS, and Crobi put out an LE in out-and-out drag; Breccia and now Coquina are more stylized, and Elias from Crobi was retro-anime for sure. I could be wrong, it just feels that way.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more pics of her, though! I'm all for more tan from Soom.

8. Her fingers are really long, but I keep looking at her and thinking she is an MSD sized doll.

9. I really like her because she looks more cute and not that over sexy to me...
      but we will see when there are more pictures. She has potential and I love
      Sooms Tan. :3
      But now I'm happy that I bought Grit and didn't wait for the next girl doll because
      I wanted a girl in grey skin. ^.^° And I think that Coquina will be available in tan and white skin.
      Maybe I will go in a split for the skull head for Mercy. ;D

10. The face is definitely a lot like the MSD boys. The jointing on the elbows looks like the SG female body joints, though, and not the new ones they appear to be using on the MSD boy body. I also haven't seen Soom release both male and female versions of a new sculpt size before, at least going back to the MA series. It was a while before they added a female MA; the same appears to be true of the SG line. We now have male Idelians and no female counterpart. There's the new 'MegaGem' size male, and no visible change in the female other than bust size for the SG series, too -- so while it's possible, I doubt this girl is MSD size based on the way they've done things in the past. They seem to be changing a number of things about 'the way they've done things in the past', however, so that's no guarantee.

11. It seems like the latest MDs (Chalco/Aphan/Coquina) are in the same "family": fuller lips, bigger eyes and nose, round jaw. Heck, Coquina already has Chalco's hands. To me she looks more like Aphan's mom (instead of Amber). However, I can understand your comments. Soom has always been known for their more realistic facial sculpts. I could easily see this girl being modded to have dreaming eyes, or even being a boy.

And no, she is most definitely a SG.

12. gelfling9uk: LOL@Man-cub!

Yeah, I am a bit confused as to how feminine this new female MD is. She looks very neutral to me as well. Maybe she's got a full blown fish tail?

Also, someone earlier said something about how they thought it would be something about water and a lot of us said "nah, they already have Cass." Cudos on them for kicking butt on this prediction! :D

13. I see the thing about her eyes being very large anime like, but I think the pupil-less sparkly eyes really contribute to that. With normal eyes I think they'd be less cartoony.

14. Exactly.

I have to wonder if the discontinued sculpts and the style change come from a change in sculptors over all, perhaps the one who did the earlier SG sculpts has left the company, or moved to a different line within the company and just didn't want earlier work repeated. (If any, I'd think Idealian if any; the level of detail is certainly there, as is the original feel that drew me to Soom initially.)

15. So I was hoping she would be water and..... I really, really don't like her. Her face looks like a little boy to me. But that is great news, because I hope that next month we will get a beautiful MSD girl! I am actually kind of glad that I don't like her, but maybe her parts will be awesome, I do love mermaids and nymphs.

16. So I see snake skin dress and perhaps a snake themed helmet under that hood? Even her face is snake like, I think she is negini.

17. Ooh, a naga type would be phenomenal.

18. I am very disappointed in this girl, she looks so masculine and average! Really not my style, she looks like Galena to me. Guess I don't need to worry about trying to scrounge up the money. I really feel Soom is capable of more, I don't like the new look the MDs are taking.

19. In this new picture I'm still not have fallen for her to even want her. BUT if they release more picture and I see her fantasy part. I MIGHT be in trouble :sweat