1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Soom :: [MD/Oct] Alk & Yrie - Birdie windie

Oct 21, 2009

1. I am hoping that the chest has the holes for the wing magnets like the other tinies have had, otherwise this will be a much more difficult project than i have thought about.

There are going to be 2 ways I will attack this,

1. Make a holder for the magnet and s hook ( kinda like a harness )
      []~( <- magnet / s hook/ ball joint (a resin piece would contain the magnet and s hook with a metal bar holding the s hook in place)
      2. Cut the ball joint off at the desired angle and embed the magnet / s hook in the first arm part
      / []~= <= magnet / shook inside wing part.

problems that I can see :
      with 1, you increase the bulk, the adjuster may be too heavy/ not strong enough whatever
      with 2, you can lose mobility

I don't know what method I will use and I won't be able to decide until I get the wing here for a test.

2. Wow... sounds pretty intense Ayuen! I hadn't thought about using magnets!
      I was thinking of just drilling and shaping two holes in the back of the torso piece, then sculpting a small hook out of epoxy or something, to put on the inside of the torso to keep the elastic from the wings in place, so the tension is right.
      Bad pictures to help explain! xD
      [​IMG]
      I haven't really done any mods this serious before but I think it could work... :sweat at least in theory!

3. Lol I see I'm not the only one to be contemplating both the hands and wings. Lol.

4. I was thinking about doing the same thing, but then all of the clothing would have to be modded to allow the wings though, and you would have two unsightly holes / resin loops in the back of the body if you didn't want the doll to wear the wings.

With how you have described the mod, you could shave though (using the correct sized eye opening ball thingie) until you have a hole in the back that looks somewhat like the arm holes, and just string the elastic through the back, (ala arm stringing). The only problem I can potentially see with this is there could be an odd angle with the final stringing, and because of potential weakness in the resin, too strong stringing could crack the rib piece.

(This problem could apply to all 'wing mods' where something is shaved off the back, as it ends up destroying the true integrity of the resin across what seems to be a load bearing area. Both the horizontal for the arms and the vertical for the lower torso and legs.)

5. Well, either she wears the wings all the time, (and gets hand made clothes, not a big problem) or on the rare chance they're taken off, she can just wear normal clothes which covers the holes, since I don't plan on having her shirtless and wingless at the same time xD but I can understand that being an issue.

Yeah, I thought about the potential loss of structural integrity from the added pressure of the wings pulling into the chest, but adding the internal hook was the only way I could think of to have them 'standing up' and not flapping around (bad pun I know xD) even with softer stringing. I thought that maybe building up around the hole to shape it more like a shoulder socket (instead of just drilling/bevelling) would hopefully put less stress on the chest piece.

I'm not really sure, since all of this is speculation until I get mine.:sweat

6. I was just reading about Alk and Yrie on the SOOM site, but it dosent say they will come with human hands or legs, isent that normal for their Tenie MD´s???
      Or is it included in the "Teenie Gem human girl Yrie(Cream White)"??

Sorry if you find this a supid question :D

7. What they say is Teenie Gem boy and girl which means complete boy or girl. This is how they send them. The wing parts etc are separate and you will have to put them on yourself.

8. Wow the convo for these guts just up and died.

9. It's a natural progression, as more people order they'll move over to the Waiting Room rather than hang out here. ;)

.hlp

10. I really want it, but volks dp22 is coming soon, chibi unoa will main sale soon as well......

..... crazy......

11. I'm waiting for financial confirmation before I make my order. Then I'll hop over to the waiting room. XD

12. I'd like to get yrie but I'd like a Custom house Little Junior set more while they're so cheap. If I can't afford them, I'll put a deposit on Yrie instead.

13. If we pay for it in 60 days, should we pay some fee? I really like alk..... T T

14. Oh, I just got a reply from Jin Lee regarding the layaway thing!

So while it seems that they have tentative plans to implement the fees system, they aren't sure yet, and we'll be given 15 days' notice prior to it starting anyway.

And I guess they're tired of too many long layaways? Or they just want to get the dolls out faster, which they can't do if the customer him/herself already takes 6 months to pay.

But for now, this is good news!! 8D

15. Thanks so much...I will order alk.... ^^..

16. I have seriously never been too fond of soom monthly dolls except for the beryll because I love her hooves.
      But these little guys absolutely amaze me! They're just so cute. They remind me of my favorite mythical animal, an Alkonost. The sad thing is, I know I can't afford one right now so I'll just have to save up to get one second hand. =(

17. I looked that up, maybe that's where they got the name for Alk?

18. What's an alkonist?

19. The birdies are starting to 'wing" their way home....

Ok, so it's lame.....

20. The Alkonost is a legendary bird in Slavic mythology. It has the body of a bird with the head and chest of a woman. The name Alkonost came from the name of Greek demi-goddess Alcyone transformed by gods into a kingfisher. The Alkonost reproduces by laying eggs on the sea-shore then putting them into the water. The sea is then calm for six or seven days at which point the eggs hatch, bringing a storm. For the Russian Orthodox Church Alkonost personifies God's will. She lives in paradise but goes into our world to deliver a message. Her voice is so sweet that anybody hearing it can forget everything.

Thank you Wikipedia :lol: