1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Soom [MD/Sep] Epidos - Flame Sword discussion.

Aug 30, 2010

1. Thanks for the pix Midnitestar7 - the more I look at him the more I love him! I have ordered the human version but if I had the funds I would love the centaur too - I like the fact that he is not huge. There's a limit to how mcuh doll I could handle.

2. As for packing them, they could, technically, send them in parts, with very detailed instructions for assembly, though I suppose a lot of people wouldn't go for that.

3. true... i'm still scared of stringing SD's... so i hope there isnt much assembly O_o... i acturally wonder if the centaur version (not human and centaur version) comes with human legs? but by the way its written i doubt it, witch is fine by me. but if he dosnt have his human legs you'd assume he comes assembled as the centaur!
      i still hope for a giant zippy pillow too! :D

4. It would be wonderful if they did. But my problem is not so much the overall height, but the mismatch in proportion between the large human torso and the small horse body. The horse part needs to be at least a third larger to sit well with the human part. At the moment, his arms dangle down by his knees and he looks as though he should fall over forwards. If the human parts had been MSD-sized, he would look in proportion and I would have ordered him, even though I have no MSD-sized dolls at present. I would fit him in somehow.

If they made a Mega Gem sized version, my fear would be that this mismatch would be achieved again. So, the horse body would be the right size for an SD, but the human part would still dwarf it.

*sigh* Come on Soom. After the major disappointment of Souldoll's whippet-bodied centaur, you were my only hope for getting this right.

5. I went to Fairy House today & heard that Soom pondered about size matter, and decided on the current one rather than going for a huge horse.
      At least, they've done a good job on detail and proportion.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

6. I really like his look. ~<3 Soom seems bent on creating male faces that make me fall in love this year. OTL

7. Of course, I have no idea about packaging, but if this is going to be a regular offering, I'd be expecting a new standard pillow to be created for shipping, like the tinies have a pillow, the SG have a pillow, the CG will have a pillow too, yes?

But personally, I'm both a little fascinated and terrified at the restringing notion, I truly hope some early received does a nice photo spread of how he's strung together for the rest of us! ^ ^

.hlp

8. With the size of the horse part--they really should have used an MSD or even a 60cm. The sculpting on the horse part is really well done, but the scale of the human part really bugs me. If this were a living creature he would fall on his face from being too top heavy.

9. I can empathize with the stringing woes, Shel -- that's for sure. But it gets easier. I recommend you get a friend to help too. Best thing to do is get the right equipment from a doll company (the hooks and clamps). I also find that the shoe laces for baby shoes are best for if you need to pull the strings through a hollow dolly leg (for instance).

I agree that they probably aren't going to send the centaur version with people legs though. I think there could potentially be a lot of stringing with this doll. Upshot is that everyone in here with a centaur on the way will be going through the same thing. There'll be lots of help! (The adventurous types may un- and restring him a couple times, even.)

I laughed when I thought about the zippy pillow too. It would be big enough to sleep on. :lol:

10. This is basically what I said to a friend the other day. Almost word for word!
      She owns real horses and went on to rant about the horse body not being moulded correctly but I did have to remind her that they needed to have him be able to pose! He's a lil stylized too. XD Didnt stop her ranting.

I really love the human him though. His face is lovely!

He'd also be hobbling about because his hooves have been cut too small. (horse knowledge via ranting friend ftw?)

11. Double post! FFFF! Sorry!

12. What really amuses me is how much everyone seems to love the HS. However, poor old Lazule, who appears to be the basis for it, has been totally ignored to the extent that Soom will be discontinuing him. Lazule is a beautiful sculpt! Absolutely stunning, in the same way that the Epidos sculpt is, but I guess the rather gormless faceup didn't help him at all.

13. MadamMauMau - I agree that Lazule is beautiful, I have one and I adore him - and the similarities are, for me, a big part of the attraction with Epidos! I think there are enough differences too though to make it well worth having both boys at home.

14. The reason I love Epidos' sculpt is because he looks like Lazule, whom I ADORE (he's perfect for a character of mine, just spot on). I'm one payment away from bringing one home, too, which I'm excited about :D Lazule doesn't get nearly enough love for how totally gorgeous he is.

15. I have to wonder if cost figured into their calculation. I have no doubt they could have made a bigger horse, but the price may have meant very few would (or could) buy it. They probably have figured out (to the last eyelash) how much gets spent on the MD releases, after all.

Well, maybe they discontinued Lazule in order to use him for Epidos. ;) No point in having two of the same faces floating around, is there? :XD: When a friend was looking to buy a body for the extra Heliot head she asked which sculpt I'd want (since I could get the head in the deal) I picked Lazule. But she found a body in the MP, darn it. :lol:

16. The correct proportions for a mythical creature like a centaur are completely at the mercy of personal preference. I can see saying the horse part of the sculpt is not 100% accurate and having to debate back and forth the horse realism vs. the need for a stable poseable doll but with the human to horse proportion it's a matter of taste. Centaurs have never existed to prove their proper anatomy to us nor could they exist. The "reality" of them is a bit moot.

Even looking at the pictures for centaurs in a Wiki article you can see there is no consistent artist's depiction for "correct" proportion. Some are huge and burly, others are small and delicate, some have human bodies that are dwarfed by their horse half, some have arms that reach the mid of the horse leg. Looking at centaurs in the art by Franz Von Stuck he changes their scale and proportion depending on what he is trying to convey in the piece. All are equally valid interpretations.

So I can see saying that Soom's centaur is not the vision of centaurs you have in your mind but I don't understand saying that their interpretation is wrong. I think it looks better than Souldoll's take which looked more like a dog bodied creature than a horse bodied creature to my eye - but then I guess as far as a centaur goes it's as correct as anything else.

And you know Lazule suffered from the same fate as many other standard dolls - just enough people putting off buying him since he was a standard to make his sales weak. I remember the same laments over Dollshe Husky who was posthumously more popular than when he was for sale.

17. Aw crap, every day since release he's become more and more adorable. And to think I was about to post the other week about not being interested in fantasy limiteds with "all the bells and whistles", and honestly the only other MD I love and would've considered at the time is Cass... I've only just finished replacing the savings I spent on my first doll Lazule, by next week I'll know exactly how much extra I have, and will likely order the centaur fullset thus perpetuating the cycle (agree with the Lazule comparisons, that about explains the appeal for me hah) Souldoll Philippa will have to wait...

I'm pretty happy with the proportions, in fact that's what swung it for me, even just running a google image search shows he seems to be alright. He comes across to me as being immature, barely 16 or thereabouts, and I agree with what Scarlett Empress said earlier about a larger doll being 'too much doll to handle', I'm still preparing for a 65cm boy being a bit of a shock. I can also see the other side of the coin though, I suppose it's hard to get perfect proportions for something which by its very nature as a mythological being can only ever really be subjective. edit: Pretty much reiterated what was posted above! Haha

18. Agreed. Oddly, if it was something like a leaopard-taur, sphinx, or something feline or canine, it would look right to my eye in the current proportions. It's sort of... Shetland pony right now. That said, I still can't wait to see him up close, since it's a stunning sculpt, issues aside.

19. Ooh! I fear if they made a leopard-taur/sphinx etc I think I would have to sell my tv, my camera and possibly my granny to get it!

The more I look at Epidos's face the more I want! This is the first doll I've actually liked the face despite it not being huge googly eyes and lil pouty mouth'd.
      I'll have to stop looking at him I think!

20. Lazule is not discontinued... yet. ^^ I asked Soom about it. They took down his sale thread a while back to edit the WS option. Now Lazule is back on sale, but only in NS. He'll be mine in 2 more months. X3