1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Soom Monthly Doll May (Taurus) the Third Land: Sard - Night Odyssey Discussion

May 15, 2008

1. Jenova>> Seeing as how one of the magnets I need to replace is for my Migidoll Ryu... x_x

I'm not sure where to get epoxy where I live. Do you think putting a thin layer of superglue over the remnants of hotglue inside would be safe enough? It's basically the hotglue that isn't sticking to the magnet. It sticks fine to the resin. D:

2. lol.. the glue I have here is called "Amazing QuickHOLD" all purpose contact adhesive. (What a descriptive name, right? XD) I got it at a craft store -- they have half an aisle of glue and things these days. XD;

Hmm, upon reading this, it may not be ideal for resin -- it says "Contains Methyl Ethyl Ketone and Acetone"... and we know acetone is a big no-no. :/ But the glue works by evaporation so I'm not sure if the acetone remains or not, gwar. XD; I'll have to report back when my boy gets back from his faceup on what his condition is.. eep!

But anyway...

Yeah, the magnet is the tricky part to glue, which is why I went for a craft adhesive, since they'll bond metal. :/ I think the hot glue won't offer enough of a surface for the superglue to bond the magnets... you could try it, but from previous experience with supergluing various things, I'm not sure that would hold up. ^^;

(But these are the ones inside the head, right? It could work... It was the ones in his horns I was REALLY having problems with -- the pull from the ones in his head were snatching the magnets right out of the horns, lol!)

3. Jenova>> I've had so many problems with the headcap magnets that I haven't even done anything with the horn magnets. x_x They're currently sitting on my desk, attracting all my paperclips. XD

4. my guy does the backwards flop. not too badly, but he definitely needs to be tightened. I hoped he'd be cured by having his hooves put on, but from posts here, looks like he needs the center tightened.

his arms are ok and head moves nicely. I need to put on his jointed hands also.

guess when we unstring the boy legs, we need to go into the torso. :| get the stringing tool!

5. Hmmmm....hot glue is working fine for me. I caution against certain types of epoxy and fast glues because of their possible reaction to Soom's resin. The glue could "eat" through the thin layer of resin on the headcap.

What methods have other Sard keepers used for their magnets? Mine certainly don't just stay in place without gluing of some kind!

6. I tried and failed with tacky glue to hold the magnets in, so resorted to hot-glue that worked. I've hot glue suaded him too which has worked nicely as well to help him pose more stronly.

7. I used superglue for the magnets in the horns. However, they can still easily be ripped out. When they have, I can see that the resin is unaffected. It is just a bit of a bugger to scrape the residual glue out before resticking them. I am therefore careful to slide the horns off when I need to remove them, rather than yanking them off. For the magnets in the headcap, they need very little sticking as the ones in the horns keep them on. I therefore just used a bit of white gaffer tape. They have held fine.

8. Just to report - I just put Sariell into the Buckle Outfit from Dollmore (Buckle Outfit from Dollmore . The shirt actually fit fairly nicely (and I tried the "Marooner" pirate shirt as well which looked great b/c of the cut) and more importantly, I was able to get the pants on over his leg spike just by taking off those big honking hooves. So he can wear the pants with his hooves on :) In his hooves, the length is prefect.

9. hey guys, had anyone been experiencing thin resin on the Sard?

i've heard of some finger breaking and stuff, but i can't remember if there was something about part of the body itself breaking...

i was sanding my Sard off when i noticed that the resin near the shoulder blades was quite thin!:
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

my main problem is that got him on the 29th of october, and had only now gotten to clean and examine him... and thus!

i'm currently contacting Soom now about this, hoping to return just at least this part. but what remedy could you advise me to make this "not worse"? (though, i know it will, in the long run if i don't return it now!) epoxy? those silicon KIPS? (<---does silicon KIPS actually melt?? it could get pretty hot here in my country)

argh... I really love my Sard... but i can't afford him breaking further in the future through this little crack!:doh

10. I noticed this on a Sard I got to play with last week... particularily in the area of the wrists. I wonder if this is very common with Sards? Or indeed with all SG male bodies??

And as far as KIPS go, no, they shouldnt melt. =^_^= They are stable silicon, like caulking or somesuch, not unstable like, say, those silicon eye putties. This kind of silicon may expand or contract a little according to the ambient temperature, but probably will never melt. Silicon is set through a chemical reaction which is very hard, if not impossible, to reverse.

11. Oh yeah, and I hear woodglue works for the magnets. *L*

12. I've noticed that, yes, my Sard's resin seemed a bit more fragile than my other dolls, though my concern is at the jointing in his hooved legs, (resin flaked a bit a couple of times on the inside of the joint it seemed....no visible damage really but it alarms me nontheless) Because I don't own any other Soom dolls, I wasn't sure if it's just the nature of their resin or if the Sards got a bit of a bum deal because they were so rushed to ship them. Hm.

I finally tightened Avarice the other night as well...HOLY CARPS was it difficult! Seriously...a nightmare stringing if ever their was once, complete with blood, (literally), sweat and tears. But he's finally a shade tighter and not quite so floppy.

13. KasaMadhuri777, I'm glad to hear that!

Soom's not replying yet. i'm really jittery now ;__;... maybe i'd go to the KIPS route... but argh i have the right to demand a replacement...! (because i know this Sard's body would be the most used body among my resin folk here...!)

arrowchild, hehe, i have almost named my Sard Avarice XDD.

14. I have two Sards and they have different spots in which the resin is frighteningly thin. :( Again, I want to stress to be cautious on the choice of glue being used on THIS resin. I suppose one of us should just ask Soom what they are using to glue in the magnets - the blushed boys are coming with the magnets glued into the horns!

I've kips-disced both guys and they are one hundred percent improved by doing so - especially in the neck/head joint! Kips won't melt!

15. Zagzagael>> The blushed ones have their magnets glued in already?

Finding out what they use would be a real help! x__x Nothing I've tried so far seems to work. It either isn't strong enough, or simply can't get any grip on the resin.

16. The blushed boys do? Not my blushed boy. I had to glue my magnets on same as everyone else.

17. Me too. The magnets tried to bite me when I tried to remove them from their magnet roll and I havent trying gluing them in to the horns yet because I can't actually get them apart. This may make me some sort of idiot...:doh

18. Hmmm....my blushed boy came with all magnets glued in! BUT his lower legs weren't drilled! *_* :| :...( :?

19. Obviously they gave you one perk to make up for forgetting another?

20. the magnets make me nervous too. i wouldn't risk gluing one to the headcap itself because i might end up with a huge gaping hole at the skull if ever i'll try to remove the horn with its own magnet in the future >.< (knowing how seemingly thin and fragile the resin is...!).

the magnets are that powerful enough anyway to attract each other even when through hair. so i'll be securing/gluing only the magnet at the horn and locking it in place at the head with another free magnet through the wigcap.