1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Soom Monthly Doll May (Taurus) the Third Land: Sard - Night Odyssey Discussion

May 15, 2008

1. Those magnets are powerful enough to attract each other through bloody flesh. I mean literally bloody. Luckily my shrieks of pain attracted my boyf who managed to extract the magnets from that bit of my hand inbetween my thumb and index finger :barf(finally a use for this icon)

So...yes I probably wont be putting the horns on unless my dad can do it for me :)

2. re: magnets. my horns had magnets in them already, but I hot-glued the other ones in the head. it was brutal to get them apart, but I twisted them so they slid and then kept twisting . but if you hesitate a second too long, they pop back together! :sweat

also, if you hotglue, you can attract the first magnet when you reach the glue gun in to put glue for the second one. gah!

I'm not sure they're in the right place. the horns are sort of floppy.

would love to see where you guys are setting in the magnets inside the head. or, headcap? I put mine high up close to the eyes. :|

3. I just put my magnets into the little magnet wells in his head lol

4. ehhh... strange i don't have magnet wells on the head itself! only on the horns :sweat

argghh Soom why aren't you replying to my message yet?? *hits head on desk.. soo sloooow*

5. Really?
      Avarice defiantely as a set of magnet wells in his head. I just assumed everyone had them...:?

6. Oh Soom, why do you confused us with this inconsistency? T___________T;;;

7. nope. no magnet wells for me either. that would have been very helpful.

I like the idea of using a free magnet on the other side of a wig. but, I've already glued in mine, so for now I'll just leave it alone.
      :|

he won't be getting his feet and legs put on for a while, so he'll just have to be a man until I get everything painted and strung.

I'm so amazed at how beautiful the Super Gem boys bodies are!
      :aheartbea of course, now I want a girl.

8. inside the head where they eyes go there should be little wells for the magnets. i would have a hard time making them even without them...

9. Oh! in the headcap! I never even looked at the inside of the headcap. :doh yes. very deep wells for the magnets. and super-thin resin. scary.

but, that's why the horns are a bit wonky.

thanks for clearing that up, kathrynmary. :chocoberry have some chocolate.

10. Would've been nice if they'd done that for me. Khrysanthos' legs weren't drilled all the way through either, but he only had magnets in his horns, not in his head. The friends that drilled his legs for me glued in his headcap magnets, and I'm pretty sure they used some kind of epoxy. I'd been planning on low-temp hot glue, but I figured they knew what they were doing, since they've been into these dolls (and working with resins) much longer than me. Now thanks to this thread, I'm really nervous! Undoubtedly Soom would replace the headcap if worse came to worst, but I'd really rather not have to deal with that...

11. ohh i didn't notice this! will look later XDDD.

if there were actually the magnet wells outside the headcap i'd probably go :(. the Sards can actually be sexy even when bald X3.

12. Legs not drilled through? You mean the channel for the elastic? Was it closed at one point entirely? Was it in the leg pieces that correspond to the knee area? I think mine might be closed as well... I can see some light, but it looks as if there is a thin bit of resin blocking the way.

What's the best way of clearing that out if one doesn't have a drill or dremel? Could I use a ceramic knife, do you think? It's a bit of a tough area... slight bend in the channel and deep in from the straight end! agh...! Maybe a coat-hanger? A pick of some kind? Hmmm....

I just got my Sard yesterday... I haven't had much time to check him out!

I also had magnets stuck in the horns already (I bought the blushing option). And there were 4 magnets enclosed in the package with hoof/leg pieces. Do only two of the go into the headcap and the other two are spares???

Will need to check in better light to see if there are any thin spots... Oh... yes, the resin in the wells in his headcap do look very thin. You'd think they wouldn't need to have thinned them quite so much if the magnets are that strong... although perhaps through a wig and all, it could be more necessary? The shoulders seem fairly thin, but not cracked or horribly thin... I can't tell about other parts... What other areas have been found to be thin?

Has anyone tried putting the magnets in other spots, rather than in the wells--to sit the horns a bit differently??? Does that work? --oh, I guess petiteballerine tried to, but the horns didn't stay very well---???

Oh... forgot to ask, some people reported missing s-hooks. I assume there are two in the human feet? Are those the same that I need to attach to the hooves--or am I missing s-hooks?

What did you all get with your basic Sard--just the hoof pieces and human pieces, horns, 4 magnets (or more?), manual and card-certificate?

I got a Gift--but it's 20mm eyes, which was odd.

I ordered some eyes separately, but my separate order did not arrive with my doll... so I'll have to ask Soom about it. It's still marked "before shipping." I totally forgot to check that separate order (which was supposed to be shipped together--I'd cleared it through Soom when I made the separate order) when I got my shipping number for my Sard... Oh, well... No big deal, as long as I get them eventually...

13. the extra magnets- 2 go inside the head. the other two i just taped to the top of the head (the magnets inside the head will hold them but just to extra safe i guess) then the wig over them and the horns over the wig.

14. thanks for the chocolate i could use this week!

15. I am so tired of everyone refering to my Sard as a girl, I might buy a different mold and sell his head even if it is very pretty, and I absolutely love his ears :(

And yes, those magnets are very, very strong! ...and aaargh about having to get new magnets and attach without having any wells inside a different head. Hmm.

16. oh, don't let them influence you! non-dollfie people always think our guys are girls. he even has an adam's apple. and, how can you say good-bye to those lips? and those pointy, pointy ears?

just let him show off that chest and no one will say "girl" to him again.

maybe a less delicate faceup?
      :kitty1

17. Yeah, I wouldn't worry about what other people were saying about my dolls! People are almost always thinking boy dolls are girl dolls, no matter what the sculpt... Unless they are used to the whole doll aesthetic, they just think they're all girls... *shrug*

==========
      One of my magnets is broken... can't glue it together since it repels the other part! Oh, well... maybe a part of a magnet will be enough to work???

18. april>> The Soom magnets are so strong, I wouldn't be surprised if just half of one would work. XDDD

19. Thanks! Good to know. I haven't tried them yet... but judging by how hard it was to just stick the two pieces together (couldn't do it!), they do seem VERY strong!

20. Exactly. Right below the knee where the channel had to bend a little, they had failed to drill through a good quarter inch of resin. There was no light showing through mine. Try poking a bit of wire through.

Personally, I don't know what I would have done if I didn't have handy friends with power tools. I've never handled a ceramic knife, but I'd be very careful, what with that bend in the leg. I doubt a coat hanger would do much unless the resin block is VERY thin. Are there any meetups/other doll owners in your area you can consult/borrow tools from? If not, maybe a jeweler or a miniatures hobbyist would be able to help, someone who's used to dealing with resin or does delicate work.

That's what we figured.

No, I just turned Khrys' horns backward from Soom's photos--it suited him as a satyr better than having them curl in front of his face like a minotaur--but that was just a matter of putting the correct polarities together. Gotta be careful about matching those polarities!

Yes. We strung all the way through to the bottom of his hooves, then put the s-hooks in the well at the bottom of each hoof. It's not pretty, but it was the only way we could see it working.

I got exactly what you did with my Sard. I used to wonder about companies giving out free eyes that don't fit the doll you just bought from them, but I figure they're unloading product that doesn't sell well. Soom eyes are nice, but relatively few dolls take 20mm, so it's reasonable to use them as a thank-you-for-shopping-with-us gift. These are definitely better than the acrylics Dollmore gave me once! I got Chaos, what about you?

EDIT: This was all in response to April (#792). Sorry, I deleted the quote tag by accident and decided not to retype.