1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Soom Resin different than other companies?? allergies?

Dec 10, 2006

1. Hey! I usually just lurk, but I have had personal experience, so I figured I'd put my two cents in. :) I've had my white skin Soom Namu for two years now, and when I first got him, every time I'd do anything with him, my eyes and face would burn and become very sensitive. He also had a much stronger chemical smell about him than my other dolls. After a few months however, it faded away, now I have no troubles when I handle him. I didn't reseal or wash him down or anything, it was just him "airing out" I guess.

2. I find this funny/ironic. Just this past weekend I was at a meetup and someone complained the last time they were at that meetup they had an allergy attack and eyes got swollen. I find it ironic because there was an abudence of Soom dolls in the room. Of'course it could be that there is something growing over at that meetup that caused the persons allergy attack but i had to wonder after hearing this all.

3. Thanks for the advice everyone, it's interesting to read people's theories and personal experiences!

NabeeRain: Thanks for the advice. I don't keep him in his box or many clothes for that matter (haven't bought him any yet xD) but he does stay in the spare room by the open box which does have an odd smell about. That was where he stayed when he wasn't washed properly. Maybe I'll find somewhere else to keep him as I'm not yet comfortable having him in the same room I sleep in.

Damhainsidhe: Thanks for posting your two cents! :) That's interesting as my boy is WS as well so maybe after a few months it may pass. At least I hope so...maybe I'm jumping the gun too early!

silentstardust: That is very odd *_* I am beginning to wonder about Soom resin after reading all this too. Here's hoping it was a coincidence!

4. I read this once in another board:

One girl had several dolls from different companies. Then she got herself a Soom doll and her skin went funny. It was itching like mad. Washing the doll and stuff didn't help so she went to see a doctor.
      After some tests with different resin samples he told her that she reacts allergic on contact to "very good resin". Seems like Soom uses a very pure resin because with no other doll she had problems.
      So there is the possibillity to be allergic.

5. Woah and you'd think them using purer resin would be a good thing!
      I suppose it makes it more potent or something *_*

6. Perhaps if someone is allergic to "very good resin" then the dolls absorbing stuff in their environment helps? Like airing out and pulling in all the "normal" smells of the world at the same time? I don't remember any of Timchener's Soom boys (an IO and a Heliot, if I remember right) giving me itches at the meet, but there were enough plants out there to plug up my nose.

The only times I have issues with my allergies are when dealing with plant-based materials. Particularly wood, and sometimes cardboard dependent on whether or not I've had allergy shots that day.

I'm wondering if NS is lesser then WS in quality? I would think that white resin is really pure.

7. ^^ Is this so? I ordered a Soom Gena Head some time ago and sent HIM, yes him, to my faceup artist straight from the company to her...so I guess Im not the one suffering right now of pure resin fumes.

>:3 HuHu

No wait D: I have allergies! I hope they wont react to him!

8. Well, basically it is a good thing. But if you're really allergic it is not.
      If you don't know that you are, because you haven't had any attack before, then yeah it's first kind of bad.

I guess that won't help. Most people are not allergic to the "fumes" coming out of the resin but to the material itself. So they get the attack on direct skin contact with the doll. Airing out doesn't change the resin itself, like making it less pure, so it would be no help.

9. I'm still interested to hear any other people's experiences with Soom resin.

I still get a slightly sore/irritated throat after handling my Soom Sard; nothing terrible, just the feeling you get when a cold is coming on (but it isn't.) He has no resin smell anymore, though he is kept in his box a lot.

I have no idea what it is and I have had no other reactions (like skin) to him or my other dolls.

Is it possibly a very mild sensitivity?

10. I have a small army of Soom, and fairly severe allergies to various things, but I've never once had an issue with any of my boys. I do not keep them in their boxes, I keep them in my closet lounging around on little doll chairs, so perhaps this helps the whatever-it-is dissipate.

Although, thinking about it, I do still get a whiff of that 'new resin smell' every time I open my Bag Of Random Doll Parts, but I still don't react to it. I just always entertain the notion that I really ought to let them out to breathe for a bit.

11. Worth pointing out here, that colored resin IS dyed. Resin starts out as white or off white and is dyed or "colored" by adding tints to it before casting it. That's how you get colored resin. This is obviously a different method than post casting dyeing that we do by dunking parts in colored dye.

One company's resin formula may irritate you on contact while other companies' don't. That's the nature of a material involving formulas of different chemicals.
      Remember to practice safe sanding protocols including your clean-up of self, skin, doll and surrounding area, in addition to a correct respirator.

12. weird, I never got any kind of problems and god knows I'm a careless person! how many times have I slept with my PJs full of resin dust xDD;
      but now I am a little worried there might be something about soom's resin in particular and I am waiting a soom doll D: (man, I sure hope I won't be allergic to her ;___; )

13. Owning Doom Dia more than year already and she sits right on my table. Never got any skin, breath or allergic problems.