1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Souldoll Discussion

Jul 30, 2022

1. I didn't see a thread in either the large or minis section, so here goes!

I've got several older SoulDoubles that I'd like to get new hands for. Does anyone know if Souldoll has changed their standard resin color to a significant degree within the past er, 10 or so years?
      I just found some spare hands tucked away in the drawer and there's been no color change between them and my dolls that have been out on display! I'm super impressed by the longevity of their resin colors. I think it's probably safe to order new hands from them or a company that can match to their resin provided the tone hasn't changed.

2. This is where I am torn because I have several Souldolls from 10 years ago and a few from a few years ago. The resin is going to have mellowed, regardless of whether or not it was exposed to sunlight. Over time the red coloring fades. However, it is very possible that it is a close match, some of my 10+ year old dolls are -very- close to new resin, to the point they are wearing new hands and I can't tell the difference unless I stare REALLY close (can't photograph it to save my life). My newer dolls always look "pinker" when I first get them but after a few months or so they do a natural mellowing (even locked in a cool closet in the dark in their boxes, it is a natural process) and are just slightly less pink. This matches most of my older dolls (I do have a very very old girl who is a couple of shades more mellow, but not really yellowed...just not as pink).

My worry would be that they discontinued the Souldoll Double Line years ago so you'd have to look at measurements and see if any of their other lines would work or look elsewhere.

3. Hmmm... I'll weigh in since I've got some old Souldoll's released in 2007 (so 15 years old vs. 10 yrs.) on the old original Double body (I think it premiered with Osu?). And I think their Normal skin has changed over the years. My new Souldoll Jio that I received 1 year ago is much more lighter/pink color vs. my older Souldoll's fleshy normal skin. I have a Jinwoo/Zii that I can try to snapshot against my Normal skin Jio if that helps you.

My Jinwoo and Zii are still a lovely color, but just not as light as their newer Normal skin. Although if it's just hands...I'm sure you can blush them a bit to match. Although I have to agree with errinreynolds on the hybrid factor. The only SD lines they have now are Zenith and they are much larger than the old double lines so the hands might not fit/look strange on the smaller framed body.

I'll try to dig them out for a picture soon~

#3 Dybbuk, Jul 30, 2022
      Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    4. Thank you, that would be incredibly helpful! One of mine is a Jinwoo, so that's perfect. I just want to know if the difference is really obvious or if it's something I can blush to be a closer match. I don't necessarily want hands from Souldoll, but if a company that offers color matching has a Souldoll sample, it will help to know if it will be close to the color I'm looking for or if I should look elsewhere.

IMO the SoulDouble hands are incredibly tiny and out of scale with the body, so larger is better. Hence why I'm in the market for a new pair. They're driving me insane and I have three pairs to replace.

5. I see! I'll get you a snapshot so you can see the different and I'll try to get the hands side by side for size reference. I'll need to find the box my Jio is hiding in (moved a few months ago) but I'll update in here with a picture. :)

6. I would love to see some pictures of peoples' old discontinued Souldolls, I am a big fan but I haven't seen anyone post photoshoots with them in like tennnnn years?

7. Thank you so much! :D That'd be a huge help. My Jinwoo is the exact same color as the hands I found that had been in a drawer for probably close to 10 years now, so I don't think he's changed horribly much. I'll be interesting to see how the newer tone compares. If you happen to have any other dolls or parts sitting around that you think might be a decent color match, would you mind letting me know too?

@ChilmarkGryphon I'll try to take some nice photos of the Jinwoo I have with me right now soon. I really want to get him a new faceup soon since I still love him! The old default faceups just don't cut it for me anymore >w<

Edit: just tried Switch 65 and Volks SD13/Gr hands on him. I think the Volks are the best size-wise, though I'd prefer something a little more detailed. The wrist balls are both far too large, but it's not like I couldn't model my own. I think the Volks balls are thick enough to sand down, too.
      Neither were a good resin match, but not so terrible that blushing wouldn't hide it. (Despite the awful yellow-cast lighting in my room, he's actually still pinker than new Volks resin)

[​IMG]
      SD13/SDGR

[​IMG]
      SD13/SDGR

[​IMG]
      Switch 65

[​IMG]
      Spiritdoll Elegance

I'd really like a pair of jointed hands for him, so here's to hoping there's something I like with a ball joint that fits!

Edit again: added Spiritdoll Elegance hands (which I also dislike lol). They're a bit loose in the joint, but the palm and fingers are better proportioned than the defaults, even for another pair of very small hands. SoulDouble hands are just really bad

#7 Astro, Jul 31, 2022
      Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
    8. This would be the thread you want: Souldoll Double Discussion
      The last posts are from 2021, ofc this gorgeous doll line has been discontinued for quite a while ;)

As for new hands - maybe look into Dollmore for resin match? My Dollmores and my Souldolls are all a bit older meanwhile, but it used to be a close match. Can't speak for recent dolls, though.
      I really dislike it if hands are disproportionate small, so I understand.

9. Thank you, I feel so stupid for managing to miss it I searched both “souldoll” and “soul doll” in the large and minis sections and must’ve looked right past it. i really wish the DoA search feature would spit things out in chronological order.
      Hopefully it’s ok to keep this thread open as a catch-all for all Souldoll lines in the 60cm class? Having them split up makes it harder to find info Imo. I feel very spoiled by the Volks thread here that combines all their 60+cm doll lines.

That’s not a bad idea! Dollmore’s resin color is (was?) also very stable (as is Angel Region’s, back before Soom bought them. None of my dolls from either company have yellowed past very minimal red pigment breakdown, and they’re all over 15 years old at this point.) Funny enough though, one of the other dolls I have whose tiny hands drive me insane is a Dollmore.

10. @Astro : I agree, I would love if all the Souldoll lines were in one thread. The Tera Zenith thread is dead since they discontinued the line, and the poor Doubles are long forgotten too for the same reason. I guess we'll have to see if this eventually gets combined with another thread~

Until then, I did some digging. My poor Jinwoo is hiding for me, so I was only able to take pics with my Zii. Moving 50+ dolls is such a hassle... unpacking/finding them is even harder lol. I will preface that I think my Zii is definitely more yellow than my Jinwoo. My Zii has passed through 3 owners so I'm not sure how well he's avoided the sun, but I will say his "fleshy" color is similar to my Jinwoo, and Souldoll's new normal is definitely lighter and on the pinker side. With that being said, if your Jinwoo has seen little sun and is still light and pinky, likely he may match the newer Souldoll's more closely. Hope these help you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Since @Dybbuk wasn't too sure about their Zii's sunbathing habits in his doubtlessly interesting past life(s) ;), I can also add that I have a Souldoll Double girl from 2007, a Zenith girl from 2014, Zenith boy from 2017 and a Zenith head from 2021. I might also add that all of my dolls live in a light-proof Ikea wardrobe and only leave it when they are fiddled with.
      The Double girl had a different normal colour from all my Zenith dolls right from the start. She is nowhere near the Zenith resin colours. And even the Zenith from 2014 has visibly mellowed compared to the new Zenith head from 2021, although it is just a partial loss of red pigment, it does not look yellowed as such (or they make the dolls way pinker in recent years). I would not even have noticed this but in direct comparison it is visible.

So unless you wish to blush/ dye the hands, I don't think recent Souldoll will be a good choice, and then there's the fact that there is no 60cm doll line anymore at Souldoll, and the Zenith hands are a lot bigger than the Double's. My Zenith boy is the only one of my dolls I constantly have to take the hands off of to dress him. Every. single. time.^^

12. @Dybbuk thabk you, those photos are super helpful! It also turns out I’m not too horribly don’t of the zenith hand sculpt either, so I guess it’s not a huge deal that the colors are different I do think the size on the Zenith hands is closer to what the poor Soul Doubles should have had to begin with. Maybe slightly on the large side? The Double’s palms and fingers just needed to be a little bit longer to be in scale with the rest of them

Two of my doubles are in their old normal resin and my third, a Lee JunKi, is in some tone that I can’t remember the name of for the life of me but is darker than their normal color. No matter what, any replacement hands for him will probably have to be blushed and/or dyed. (I want to say it’s somewhat close to Dollshe’s oriental resin color, but I think Dollshe is a bit lighter.)

Thank you everyone, you’ve been a huge help!

13. @Astro : Glad to help! I'm trying to recall what heads I used to Hybrid and share on this body and I remember old NS Sooms used to match fairly well. Although I dont know how hard it is to locate an old pair of hands like that. Best of luck finding a replacement pair. Blushing or dying shouldn't be too difficult.

Hope to see your boys soon!

14. (You can put the double heads onto the Zenith body--- Souldoll's newer Zenith heads are around the same size or smaller than the Doubles.)

I have a older girl from 2007 and newer Souldolls from 2015 to 2020--- the heads from the past 5 years match pretty nicely with a somewhat pinkish tint to them while my 2007 Double has definitely mellowed and has no red left in her skin tone. If I can get some good sunlight I'll take a pic of the color shift.

15. @Dybbuk Of the jointed hands I was looking at, I like DF-H's best. I got measurements for the wrist ball and I think they'll probably be a fit for SoulDoubles. DF-H color matches, and I want to order a color matched body either later in the year or early next year, so I'll just send some hands along for matching too. Problem (likely) solved!

I want to take photos of them soon! I've been on the lookout for someone to repaint my Jinwoo (and the others, but he comes first). It's always a struggle finding an artist whose work you think will suit the doll you want painted that's actually open >w<

16. Really hoping this thread can just capture all Souldoll lines in the future because our poor Double/Tera-Zenith threads seem to be quite dead~

I recently acquired a Souldoll Double Lee Jun Ki off of YJ! and very excited for him to join my Park Gi Gup (the name of the original sculptor) trio. :) I now have Jinwoo, Zii and LJK!!! And it came to my surprise, I really believe that Zii and Lee Jun Ki are in fact the same mold. I am working on wiping my LJK, and will take pictures next to my Zii, but one thing I noticed... there is a slight asymmetry to Zii's upper left side of his lip. When I got my LJK, I noticed the very same asymmetry. I put them side-by-side, nose to nose, chin to chin and each time their features line up nearly identically.

For any collectors who were around back in '08-ish when the Zii doll was pulled unexpectedly from the Souldoll website, I believe it has everything to do with the fact that the mold was going to be sold as limited editions of LJK, and didn't want to end up in legal trouble for reproducing the mold outside of the contract Lee Jun Ki's management company was creating.

It still feels really cool to own the rare "Zii" boy! I am loving the idea of twin boys~ But wanted to share this information because I found it interesting~

Doll tax time... My Souldoll Josh boy~ Also another boy who was was pulled unexpectedly from production. Why does Souldoll torture us this way?

[​IMG]

17. @Dybbuk - gorgeous boy you got there. I loved SD double line and I really wish they hadn't discontinued it. My Double boys:

[​IMG]
      Souldoll Boys
      par Mu Shu, on ipernity

18. @Mu Shu : Such wonderful princely men <3 I think I recognize... Asiter in the middle? Who are the other boys? I'm so sad Souldoll eliminated all their old sale pages on their website. It's so hard now to catalog all their older sculpts. :(

19. From L to R
      Lupinus, Asiter and Marvin.

I agree with you on the elimination of old sales pages (with all companies that do that!)

I have 2 double girls (Star and Rye) but can't find any of their pics so need to redo those.