1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Souldoll Souloid discussion part 1

Sep 15, 2011

1. Is anyone else having some minor issues with their Ier?

Mine can't bend her left knee (too tight, makes scary noises when I try to ease it into a bent position), and the ball-joints of her thighs are scratching like crazy against the socket whenever they move. :(

2. She's been strung too tight; I just restrung mine and she is much easier to move now :) Just be careful with taking off the tight elastic, as you could hurt yourself, as did I....
      Btw, Lordhelmet, I love your Ier + Iraki! They look cute together!

3. Thanks for sharing LordHelmet (also, great name ^_^)

4. I have suddenly become smitten with this guy..... maybe I'll get him for graduation (which is a week from today!)

5. Mines a bit stiff, and the way her butt pops out and locks confused me for a bit XD but shes not as bad as yours sounds, I agree with the re-stringing ^.^

also hi :) I don't know if I've posted in here yet ^.^ I have an Ier too, managed to give her a face-up yesterday D: MSDs are hard to paint! and I've not done a girl's face up before either XD

6. Hi! I basically just started to post here too. I'm going to *try* to make a dark iridescent dress for Ier. I hope it turns out! It will have a futuristic metallic look.

7. Welcome to both of you! I'm excited to see yall's progress on your projects ^_^

8. ooh it sounds pretty already :O I can understand the *try* aspect of it :P I tried making a leather top and managed to make a mock up but I messed up cutting out the actual pieces :doh she currently has a sort of gauntlet thing now instead XD

yay for welcomes :3 I might post a picture later, but I haven't got the powders to blush her body yet, and my face up is nowhere near as good as LordHelmet's XD (so awesome by the way)

9. [​IMG]
      Exploring the Backyard by Skyealloway, on Flickr

I took Mort outside for some pics yesterday. So photogenic ^_^
      I am giving Seth (the Iraki head) a faceup today, pics for that to come when I finish.

10. *blush* awww thank you! XD i appreciate that < : D i am excited to see what you come up with!

Lynessa: that dress sounds boss! PICS PICS AND MORE PICS WHEN DONE, YES?

oh my gosh, Skyealloway, he looks REALLY awesome with those EARS omnom...i love that face up...that head looks great on him! Mort is super cool...do you have pics of him all together? Seth is gonna look awesome if Mort is any indication of that!

11. Thanks for the welcomes!
      Skyealloway, wow! Mort has an unbelievably awesome faceup! I'll bet that took some time!
      Annelida, I'm sure you'll be able to do it, if you give it some more tries!
      Lordhelmet, I will definitely take some pics for sure! It will be my first time making a complete dress!

12. Thanks, but I can't take credit for the faceup - I bought him with that face already done by another DOA member, Crystalinewings, I think.

Anyway, I DID do this faceup on Seth!

[​IMG]
      Seth's Faceup by Skyealloway, on Flickr

There are a few more pictures from different angles in my Flickr, if anyone wants a better look at like, his bruise or his ears ^_^

I think this is my best faceup yet!

13. You did a pretty good job on Seth! Loving those brows~ :)

14. Not sure why I didn't say this before, but I like Seth's little beard :3 he's cute :D

I got the powders to blush Ier ^.^, bumped into a problem though, turns out I suck at blushing and she ended up looking like a christmas tree ornament D: and of course the rain started again so I couldn't clean her up and try again >.< does anyone have any tips to stop her looking like shes covered in glitter?

15. Thank you both for your compliments ^_^

I haven't started trying to do the robot parts on my guy yet, so I don't have any tips >.< I did order powder glitter too, so I'd be interested in some tips ^_^

16. Annelida - if you used PearlEx powder or some kind of similar shimmery stuff (like the one Luts or Volks sells) than you can just spray on 1-2 layers of MSC and the shimmery-glittery effect should go away. PearlEx is so soft and fine, that it becomes practically invisible under more than one coating of sealant. If you used larger glitters though....well then I have no idea. Even if the matte sealant would take the glitter away, you'd be stuck with all the visible little...glitter-pieces...:sweat

Uh, I'm wondering anyway...is there any chance at all that Souldoll will put up some blank head pictures of Walter before the whole ordering period ends? I asked them for pictures almost 3 weeks ago :( My hands are just itching to order Walter, but I'm not very comfortable with ordering dolls whose faces and eyes are obscured by huge wigs...><

17. Yeah I'm using PearlEx powders, I promise I didn't just attack her with glitter glue :P does it just look metallic under a few layers of sealant then?

18. Uh, I'm actually pretty sure that PearlEx in itself won't look metallic...no matter what you do :( I'm not absolutely sure about this, because I've never tried to use them that way...but from my experience, they don't really behave like that.

If it's very dense, and glittery now - one layer of MSC will make it duller and more sparse. Another layer will make it even more sparse...but not in a shimmery way, but in a "disappearing" way. So under 1-3 layers of MSC, your PearEx will actually become invisible...as if it wasn't even there in the first place. I only have one type of shimmer (white from Luts) which will look like a silky pearl (and only under 1 layer of MSC). All my others (gold, turquoise, lavender, bronze) just look like very fine glitter. :(

I've also been musing about how to get the desired metallic effect. My ideas were to get metallic acrylic paint and either use an airbrush (which I don't have), or I remember seeing actual cans of sprayable acrylic paint...I'll investigate those, to see if they are safe for resin. I'll also be using semi-gloss (or even gloss) sealant (Citadel most likely) for the final sealing - hopefully that will make even the pastel blushing more...metallic :sweat

19. I'll be really interested to hear how your experiments come out, Smaug! Especially the different sealant.

I have a bunch of metallic & pearlized acrylic paints and I recently purchased an airbrush, so I'll be going in that direction for my Ier & Walter (once they arrive - which is likely a very long way off), but I'm not sure how well the effect will hold up after some MSC. I'd be very interested to hear if the semi-gloss works better without dulling the effect as much.

20. Bah, I've been home sick for like the fourth day in a row now, but I did get a pleasant surprise around noon. The doorbell rang and woe and behold outside stood a man with a big packa... hrm... box marked Souldoll. I didn't even know she had been shipped!

I'm going to try and make a boxopening-thingie later but until then I can tell you this much... At least on my screen the mech-parts look blue/purpleish metallic for the most part on the site... they're not... They've found some sort of bronze/orange that sort of matches her skin which gives her a disappointingly plain look.
      I ordered her with bodyblushing and face up but no tattos. But Souldoll does not get any high marks for the blushing of her mechparts from me. It doesn't feel like they paid any attention to the fantastic details of her body and I could quite honestly have done it myself and had a similar if not better result. (so if you didn't go for the bodyblush... no reason to regret it, though I am curious if I'm the only one who went with the makeup options and if not what others thought of their results)

The faceup is absolutely lovely though, even though they MSC'd the life out of it making her face 7 shades paler than the rest of her and in certain lights making her look as if she is suffocating. It doesn't show up on pictures thankfully and she's amazingly photogenic so I'll forgive them for that.

On the more positive side (enough with the whining... I'll blame it on that I'm sick ;P ) I adore her face which I was afraid would be a dealbreaker, and her eyes... omg her eyes are so beautiful! She is a much better fit for Qu'ess (Withdoll Juwel) than my Mei was. Though I loved Sister's original shell her head was about twice the size of Qu'ess and it made it hard for me to pose them together.
      Also they gave her a nice little manicure instead of that golden nailpolish she has in the pictures which was more than fine by me. (perhaps that was included in the tattoo-set? ;P )

Anyhoo, all in all I'm happy. I can fix the blushing to my liking though I'm of course a little miffed to have spent a bunch of money on something I could have done my self to begin with. Now I just need to find her a nice wig and something to cover those boobies with before she pokes someone's eyes out and all will be well ^_^