1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

SoulDoll Tarot series speculation and discussion thread~

Jun 5, 2010

1. Wow, strength is really bland. 21 is a lot of orginal fullsets to come up with, I wonder if souldoll really has the inspiration for it?

The High Preistess and Fool were very lovely and they matched the traditional imagery of the cards well (they weren't a paticularly unique take on them, but the outfits/skin colours were amazing and thery made sense) but the rest have been kind weird choices.

Since they made an 'old man mask' I'd like to see them go the whole way and make a full true old man or woman for death - I think that would be a pretty cool interpretation - not nesscarly what you would think of straight away buit it would make sense!

I'm surprised how broing they've been really, becuase some of the fullsets and one offs they released WAY back in their 'Soul Fantasy' line were amazing. Photos have long since been removed from their site, but I remenber they had this gorgeous elf warrior boy with a red head band. His outfit was brilliant and his facial sculpt really unique .

EDIT: I'm wrong, they do still have him on the website
      http://www.souldoll.com/shop/step1.php?number=872
      Love to see more fullsets in that style

2. I'm no tarot card expert or know much about tarot cards. =wiki'd the cards and stuff= But a lot of them have been really far off. Though, I did get a Leira because I'm a sucker for rabbits/bunny/moon associated things. The "Moon" that they did was more played off the Japanese or Asian mythology of seeing a rabbit in the moon or how there are rabbits making mochi up there. Something like that. So, they didn't even go along the lines of "The Moon" at all than their own mythology. If they wanted to do Leira, they should've just done an Asian Mythology line. LOL But whatever, I'm happy with my girl even though she was a misrepresentation.

Has anyone posted on their board saying that they have been far off of the tarot idea? :\

3. Well, I'm sure they have Wikipedia over there :) And I'm sure they know what the tarot cards are supposed to mean/represent. The choices they make are probably style decisions and their own preferences. It would probably be pointless to point out to them that there's no bunnies in the moon card. They are probably just using the Tarot ideas for lose inspiration rather than specifically trying to represent tarot.

I'm still holding out hope for Justice :D That one is hopefully going to be amazing.

4. As much as Souldoll aren't really paying attention to the meaning of the cards here, I still think that they are the most promising company out there right now. Almost each of these tarot dolls has been really unique in their own way, and each beautiful, while perhaps only appealing to a smaller crowd of people. Doing an old man for example was just a moment of pure genius (even though I'd never personally want one ::laughs::).

Like I said earlier in the thread, Kayla is the most beautiful doll I have ever seen - and I have a lot of dolls! ^_^;;
      No other doll will ever compare to her I think!
      We've had blue skin, apricot skin, ice violet skin.. some beautiful sculpts, amazing outfits.
      Their faceups too are much better than most other companies who tend to stick to 'safe and neutral'.

Even this newest doll, while I admit that as a tarot card doll he fails miserably, he's a really striking doll!
      I love the concept, the armor, everything! I'd probably want him if I collected male dolls. xD

So I think the way forward with this Tarot Card series is just to stop seeing them as tarot cards and enjoy them for the amazing creativity that is going into them.
      I think perhaps they just needed an overriding theme to bring all these limiteds together, and if give them a basic start to work from idea wise.
      It's disappointing to those who wanted really close representations of the cards, but as long as Souldoll keep producing these beautiful dolls, I'm not about to complain!

I'd like to see them do a series of element dolls. Dolls which literally represent the element they are.
      Like the fire doll would be red with flamey arms, or whatever! The options are endless!
      I just would love an ICE doll and a FIRE doll rather than an animal linked to ice or fire... if that makes any sense? xD

5. Oh--I like the idea of element dolls! Souldoll resin is so lovely, and I love the Zenith body design. I have Chantel/ Shiva in normal skin, and my Leira should be here late next week! I did not get any of her bunny bits--thought they were silly. The four armed grey Shiva is on my "must have" list too.

6. I've actually given up on them actually representing any Tarot elements quite a while ago. XD
      I just thought even as a regular LE doll Strength is really, really dull. And I am a sucker for nice male dolls even! I thought Hermit was great and the Moon bunny, while far off in concept, was a cute doll.

The outfit is nice but the swords was.... like... er. Since it was linked compared with the Soul Fantasy doll linked this doesn't even come close to what it was. ... or they could just have been releasing some really amazing doll and this is just ... sorta meh for me.

Well, there is always the next one to look forward to I guess. :>

7. I think the bunny as the moon make perfect sense. Sense in several cultures the Rabbit was a symbold of mystery or night wich i can see were they draw that from. I'm personally excited to see how they do a lot of them the lovers, death, devil, and star are the ones i look forward to seeing.

8. I'd like to see them do an elemental series as well. With how detailed and beutifull their dolls are they would probably be so stunning! It's a concept none have done (that i have seen im still new) and I think and elemental theme would be cool

9. I'm not entirely ready to give up on the Tarot yet, it's an excellent concept if it's done right, and it took Soom some time to find their Zodiac footing as well. I think Justice could be amazing, I'm really intrigued by what they might be able to do with The Chariot and The World. I can imagine what The Lovers are going to be.

.hlp

10. I'm not especially disappointed in the Tarot series. They're largely not in the direction I would go, but most of them are interesting dolls in their own right.

I am bummed that Strength is such a small doll, though! If he were closer to 65cm I would have purchased him to portray a tengu warrior. I haven't found a really "YES - this doll!" contender for that character until Strength. But he is, IIRC, as small or smaller than my Zaoll, who is sort of supposed to be a shortie anyway. (And I'm hoping that the Zaoll line will get that male body the artist said she was interested in creating - so if so then that doll would be taller than this guy!)

It's a shame. :/

I hope those who want mature, masculine mini males will run across him, though. He's perfect for those who like MSD-ish sized but want a mature masculine "mini".

11. I supposed the gargoyle would kinda... hang? -> Teaser for Hangman

12. I like the Hangman, what little I can see of him in the shadows. Any idea when the ordering period will be?

13. Wow, I have to give Souldoll credit! They are thinking outside the box and I like it!

14. I've been ignoring their tarot series because they've been so far off the mark for what most of the cards actually mean that I find them disappointing, but I had to look because the Hanged Man is my favourite card. And, a gargoyle? What?

I am assuming they think the card is a hangman/executioner and not actually someone being hung, which is what the card imagery is about.

15. I am loving the weird card interpretations. I am liking what I see there in spite of the same 'wow, that's... not what I would have expected'. Dangit, Souldoll, I want a Shiva, but you keep releasing OTHER shiny things, too, that aren't available for as long.

(Please don't be limited. Please. Or have a long, long, long order period. *cough*)

16. I SOOOO hope they're making an Odin doll :x Odin from Norse mythology gained supernatural knowledge (about runes ++) by hanging upside down from Yggdrasil <3 :D

17. I was actually thinking of the connection Hanged Man = upside down = bats = gargoyle = sorted! Which is uh, kinda cute really XD

18. Wow, he looks interesting! Kind of has a Monzo feel to me, but I guess you can't really avoid beefcake with grey skin and wings striking some recognition. Can't wait to see how this guy's fantasy parts wind up looking like! :D

19. I'm all for Monzo having a minion. Minions are nifty. Souldoll keeps banging out the hits though -- they even made me break my size rule recently with Fafner. This would be, what, their tenth doll in a few months? And all of them look good!

20. I've kinda given up on the card interpretation and just see what they come up with.
      I think the imagery is off the mark but I like it FAR, FAR more than Strength.

That being said, the card can also be view as a "change of perspective"... which I guess kinda work on this one too? XD

Unrelated.
      I wish more pictures are posted in this thread too~ May I invite Tarot card doll owners to share their dolls here? :>

edit: Weird! I was gonna update the first post with the hanged man doll. And... it's been updated already. And I swear I didn't do it! And. er, it says it was last edited in September when Strength was released. O_O Twilight zone!!!!