1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

SoulDoll Tarot "The Hermit" discussion.

Jun 4, 2010

1. Well this is the thing though, considering how many people in the doll hobby would prefer beautiful woman over old man, I think blue and purple are safer than old man. Just look at this discussion thread. Leira was a much more boring doll in terms of concept and novelty in idea, but her thread exploded with comments because she is a pretty girl sculpt. You know? Old man sculpt really is a lot more niche. I'd say at least they try to do an old man face, which no one really has done before and I am happy with that.

All disappointment aside, I was thinking if they went ahead and made an old man dollhead, it might look a tad odd to put him on a regular doll body? >.> Just a thought. XD

2. *sob* I too am disappoint that the old man is only a mask. I agree with whomever said that the company might've been worried about his popularity. I absolutely adore the old man though. ;u; <3 The young face doesn't interest me ehehe. Were I skilled I would fly with the idea of modding the mask into another head~.

3. Sad sad day. Here I thought they were doing something really bold, but they halfed it by making it just a mask. Ah well. Back to my "Senior" mod project.

4. Oh phooey. Add me to the chorus of disappointment.

*sigh*

5. I'm going to agree here (although I think we're in the minority :sweat). I am disappointed that the old man isn't a separate complete head or even a faceplate system, I still really love the look. I also like the younger version and am looking forward to seeing the sculpted brows etc. He's definitely one I'm trying to at least get on layaway.

6. I'm so in love with this doll, he's so much older and handsome looking XD he reminds me of gary oldman as dracula XD haha I have to get this doll, damn you souldoll for stealing my wallet!

7. I think I'm becoming abit of a Souldoll fangirl :). I love this doll! and he's a guy! This must be the first male doll I've felt like buying. I understand the disappointment over the mask, but I think its Ok as the wig would cover most of it anyways. I really love his clothes tho, as my hubby would say "he's such a fancy lad" :). I doubt I will be able to get him as I have Leira on layway, but I think he's gorgeous.

8. Is it possible to just buy his head and /or just the mask? I was really hoping that the old man was a complete doll. Now that I see that it's just a mask I have no interest in buying the whole doll because it looks bizarrely out of proportion. Either his head is really tiny or his hands are gigantic or both, but it looks seriously off to me. All I want is the head and mask.

9. Souldoll hands are usually quite gigantic. They are really nice hands though.

10. Damnit! :doh Damn it all!
      *deep breath*
      I agree with what was said earlier, mod the thing, make him into the glorious, stand alone old man he was supposed to be. And I -suppose- the pretty boy can tag along so long as he stays in the corner and doesn't interrupt.
      Yes, I'm determined.

11. I have no money at the moment, and I'd love to get him. Does anyone know how the Souldoll layaway works?

I suppose one could get the youngman head blank, and the oldman head with a face-up.

Perhaps all of us old guy fans should write to Souldoll and leave messages on their board saying how much we like the mask (hint hint) and would be interested in a complete 'mature' doll!

Slightly OT, Minimee heads can be excellent for older characters...

12. If you read the text carefully and look at the last pix with the head and mask in an unpainted state, they've actually carved (raised areas) the beard/moustaches and eyebrows on them. So unless you're willing to do some sanding, whatever faceup an owner does will have to have facial hair and the eyebrows will be limited to the pre-configured shape for the most part.

13. I'm also disappointed they didn't just do two heads and went for a "safer" mask idea. </3

It doesn't really hurt me at the moment, because I didn't really have the money to drop on a new doll right now, but if the mask is sold separately I may try to buy it just to have an old man mold for if I ever decide to make the Mentor character I have. :/ (Not that I really know that the old guy mask fits the idea I have for a Wise Old Asian Mentor, but at least it's closer than 15 year old bishie #60959. )

14. You put $200 down as your first payment, then one payment of 50% of what is left, then another one for the rest.

You will find more info HERE.

I semi wondered about the sculpted eyebrow. I can see the facial hair, but why the eyebrows too? You can't have a sad man that way? XD

15. I wish they'd just done a second head, but the trend over there seems to be things-that-fit-over-other-things (insanely huge "bunny" paws come to mind). I'd love to have a doll with just the old head. The younger version isn't bad-looking, but doesn't do it for me. (He's no Sydee...) I also wish they weren't all 70cm, but--

16. XD I actually didn't like Sydee at all.
      But then again, I think it maybe the faceup.
      Oh, I suppose he is a Zenith boy! For some reason I keep thinking he is just a double boy... man... person.

17. At this time it appears to only be available as a piece of the Fullset. I don't think they've sold any of the other Tarot doll's special parts separately. You'll have to go to the Marketplace and try your luck there.

18. Reading the comments, I thought I'd be majorly disappointed that it's not a separate head...but I have to admit, I still pretty much love him. It's going to be hard to resist this one. There's a lot of potential here! 83

19. Denverdoll is also selling him. I prefer layaway through them.

Gosh I really like him. I wasn't at all impressed when I started looking
      and only saw the "younger" version....if I saw him IRL I'd run away....
      but the Old man is fabulous!!!! I actually like the idea of it being only a
      mask as I hate, HATE, switching heads. And I love his tattered clothes.
      Overall a great concept. I think that it will still hopefully get other companies
      to realize there is a market for "mature" sculpts.

20. I wonder how much of a market there really is though, or if it's just us that want an old man :( They might have done local focus testing to see if there was interest. Their local buyers probably make up a much bigger portion of their sales than us foreigners anyways.