1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Spangled Dolls

Apr 23, 2008

1. I don't have a problem with patriotic pride, it just seems a little... out of context ?

anyway, I'll be intrested to see the body and hear reviews on it

2. I really do not feel these dolls are appropriate for this forum. Their aesthetic is quite removed from that of ABJDs and the advertising campaign so far is misleading at best. Machina and Ted are more Star Spangled dolls than these and they were made with love and originally hand-cast by members from the US.

The idea of an "American BJD" company or line isn't even original and in a notable previous iteration ended badly as far as this forum is concerned.

3. You have a lot of enthusiasm for your new line, and it's great that you are standing behind your Chinese manufacturer. Although the current head sculpts don't appeal to me, I like the body size and look forward to seeing future sculpts.

Obviously it was not intentional, but your name and marketing tactics have offended a substantial portion of your potential customer base. When you say, 'I think most people are silly, the way they are responding...' you are referring to the same people you would like to have buy your dolls.

This thread has generated a lot of attention for you, if you adapt and find a way to make a positive impression, you can turn it to your advantage.

4. Madonnafame: I am sorry your dolls and company do not seem to be well-received by the people here on DoA. Personally, I feel that even though you helped design the dolls and packaging, they are not American created, so the title of "Star Spangled Dolls" is completely misleading. They don't even have an American esthetic like your traditional "fashion" doll would. Perhaps if you had actually created the sculpt and then sent it off to be reproduced would it be more acceptable as an "American" doll. The name "Star Spangled Dolls" suggests that the dolls are imagined and created in the US, not just "directed" by Americans. And to this crowd, anything with the American flag pasted all over it is tacky and lame.

Please consider the demographics of most BJD owners. Your average person dabbling in this hobby is a young adult or teen, and most likely is interested in Asian culture. They also are most likely to have liberal views and frown upon blatant patriotism (not to say that they don't love their country). Your presentation of these dolls would be more successful if you catered towards that demographic and studied what designs and ideas they are attracted to.

Also, I think you are way over-charging on the dolls. If I were to buy either a Star Spangled doll or a AoD doll, I would choose the AoD because it costs less and is more esthetically pleasing. To be able to charge what you are you really have to step it up and go further - contrary to what you think not all BJDs look the same and the more attractive sculpts will command the higher price. No one will pay that much money (unless they are the odd one who would like the doll for a modding project) for an unattractive doll. It would be in your best interest to find another doll artist, preferably one in the US, and commission him/her to do the sculpts and THEN have them cast/reproduced in China.

I appreciate that you are trying to be unique, but you are also a business and making successful sales should be a high priority. Take these comments as a wake-up call and please don't dismiss them all as "silly".

5. And I find the blatant disregard you're showing towards the American flag and whatever misgivings people have toward your marketing techniques silly, as well as disheartening. Talk about not listening to your paying audience.

There is nothing American about your dolls, aside from the fact that YOU live in Nevada. To claim that your product is "the American BJD" is misleading, to put it lightly.

6. My partner and I had more to do with just coming up with the names and slapping a flag on the dolls! We had lots to do with the manufacturing and doll ideas and concepts along with packaging and other features of the doll. We used the flag on the back of the head along with the name of the doll etched to the back of the head so that people would know what company the doll came from if they changed or did a custom face-Up.

You are being silly and I find it weird that people are freaked out about a flag being used when the company owners are from the USA and proud of it!

7. Madonnafanme, I'm sorry if you find the opinions stated by potential customers as silly, but your blatant disregard to the comments that others have said--all of which are valid, I think--make me think that having a business transaction with you would be unwise.

I doubt that's what you want to present to possible customers but frankly I'm very put-off right now.

8. A word of advice: name-calling is NOT a good way to win customers, particularly when they raise questions about your product.

Nobody is saying that having patriotic pride is unacceptable. Mainly, people are finding it somewhat hypocritical to claim these as "American" dolls, when clearly, they are not.

If you find these responses disheartening, well, frankly, you SHOULD, because in my opinion, you did not do proper marketing research (if any) before bringing these dolls to the market.

9. Then you must not understand the US market very well because, especially right now with the current economic situation in the US, the buy American movement is a very big one and when people look to buy American products they want to know that their money went towards helping US manufacturers and workers. Your dolls suggest that's where the money would go, but you clearly state that's not the case. Patriotic symbolism and rhetoric is a touchy subject anywhere, but your dolls do hit right on a nerve and this is largely due to the fact that they are made in China. Americans definitely start to show their pride when you start using their country's symbols as a selling point.

You talk about us buying dolls from other Asian countries, but those companies that make those dolls do not make any pretenses about where their dolls are made and by whom. I know my dolls are Japanese and Korean, but I never had any question about that.

Also, I can't think of too many foreign doll buyers that will be attracted by the US flag being on their doll. For some, it'll mean nothing, but for many others it'll be a real turn off. But then again, as you are calling a majority of the people on this forum "silly" for addressing their feelings about your product and the problems your marketing choices evoke you don't seem to care very much about your target audience.

10. Dude, I actually kinda felt a little sorry for you, before this.

Definitely not the sort of behavoir I seek when I'm looking to spend some doll money.

11. (Emphasis mine)

You might want to put a little more thought into your responses. Perhaps take time off to cool down a bit? You've made some good points about your dolls that would be good to include on the website. However, this forum is not particularly forgiving and has a long memory - if you dig the hole much deeper you might find it difficult to get out. Your dolls have a lot of potential, listen to what people are saying and see if you can work out a better solution than calling people silly.

12. I would say that some market research should have been done to see what connotations the name "Star Spangled Dolls" would have on potential customers before choosing it. It just doesn't bring to mind a picture of the type of doll that those who buy ABJDs would be interested in even before seeing the actual dolls. Its not the type of name you would anticipate finding a "high end" doll under.

I know it must be disheartening but this is actually good market research that you don't have to pay for. Perhaps a different name would bring a better acceptance of the dolls in the marketplace.

13. I find this statement to contain some disturbing assumptions. First, you seem to state that all dolls will start looking the same over time. Actually, the more one pays attention, the more differentiation there is between sculpts. The human figure has myriad subtle variations, and skilled artists can illustrate this. This is why artists can keep making dolls that are all different and yet fit a certain aesthetic. Second, you seem to dismiss the originality of your own sculptor by stating that "they all" have the same ideas as though the longer one works as an artist the more one will be absorbed by this hive mind.

You stand proudly behind you marketing strategy and packaging design, but in the same breath appear to show disdain for Asian dolls. You speak of making improvements as though other dolls have inferior engineering, but I don't see anything in the promotional photos that would lead me to believe these dolls pose as well as a Puki Puki or a Thaasa, nor do they have the sleek versatility of a Volks doll or the sculptural skill of a Dollstown or Supia. Usually when someone introduces their own line of ABJDs they say they have long dreamt of "making their own dolls" not "having their own company." Part of being a sales representative is figuring out to whom one should market one's product and then how best to present the product to that market. :|

14. Madonnafanme,

Any country's flag is a representation. It is a symbol of that country's identity. A symbols meaning is affected by how people relate to it. Understandably, the USA is about the free. So you can use the symbol if you so wish.

The truth is, potential customers of who you say you target for these dolls are taking offense to the placement of the American flag on a product that was not made on American soil. It is best to take that into consideration, as these are not only your customers but also your peers.

Take a step back, breathe, and look over the other concerns and options that have been outlined for you by those peers. Best not to ignore them.

15. As with any country's flag, the American flag has a lot of meanings, none of which should be associated with selling dolls. It's just very inappropriate. I'd say its wise to take the general consensus into consideration. Instead of calling us "silly" for sharing our opinions and concerns, perhaps rethink your company's title and "logo", because it's clearly turning off quite a few people, especially considering they're not even produced in America.

16. Okay, seriously, calling me (and the many other people who have brought up their concerns in this thread) silly - twice now - simply because you disagree with our views on the way you have been conducting your marketing campaign does not help win you support. I am unsure why you keep coming back to this.

You have stated that these dolls are designed, manufactured, and shipped from China, where your contribution was in the design of the boxes that they come in. You've also stated that you designed the dolls, but then, again, say that they were designed by someone overseas. Which is it?

Please understand that the flag being associated with your product is just ONE aspect (though a big one!) of the issues people are having with this campaign. People have questions on design, what company actually makes them, who sculpted them, why they cost so much - it's not "silly" to question these things, especially when you are being so secretive about your partners.

I do apologize if these questions or these perceptions of your product upset you, but lashing out and name calling are not the way to go.

17. If you really want to buy an american doll then look for the Bishonen House (all made in America) Batchix's creations: The Machina, Nan Sook etc. The Ted dolls... designed created in the US then shipped to China to be cast. These are american dolls.

There are a lot of wonderful people who have created prototypes of doll in the US, there are creative people like that all over the world. But if you wanted to make an American doll, my thoughts would be that having a American artist would have been a better plan. People wouldn't have as much a beef with it.

You had the oportunity to create something special and great using Home artists. you didn't, it was your decision to go with Chinese artist, Chinese makers and painters then tell us these dolls are American. well they are not and calling me silly won't change my POV.

Or the truth, for that matter.

18. Being a Volkswhore, I would never buy these dolls anyway, but even if I were open to other companies, I would not be open to this one. Quality and aesthetic issues aside, the attitude of this seller puts me off - WAY off. I am of a generation that is leery and suspicious of ZOMG AMERICA marketing campaigns. I think the seller will find this the case for a lot of people. I'm not even worried about these being declared OT or not, because I doubt they will sell many dolls here anyway.

19. I agree, and I'll add that you were better off not responding than saying people here have silly opinions, not just once, but twice. It's grossly unprofessional and you are behaving that way in the largest bjd doll forum on the net. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

You aren't going to earn business calling your client base people with "silly opinions". First, the dolls are overpriced in comparison to what is already out there. Why would a person pay more for a doll of less aesthetic quality from a company with no reputation, when there are many, many doll companies that have earned reputations and have proven quality - along with treating their potential customers more respectfully and professionally. The manner in which you are addressing your potential customers, isn't going to earn you any business, in fact this sort of behavior is going to turn people absolutely off to your dolls. That and the price and aesthetic.

20. YamamuraTatsuya is correct. The American flag carries a lot more connotations than just patriotism. Some market research is in order. The one thing that people in business have to know is know their audience. BJDs are fairly international. Will the image of an American flag work for everyone?

Also, people have also mentioned quality issues. Dolls aside, if the website was cleaned up a bit more and less "cheesy," people would be more willing to look.