1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Staring instead of playing

Aug 18, 2006

1. Of course I stare al lot at my girl ^^. Can't get enough of how pretty she is. But I more love to carry her around wher ever I go. When I visited a friend shes alsways with me. Sometimes I even took her at work with me ^^.
      And I love to cuddle with her.
      But everyone should do what he feels good with. I can completly understand why some people just have them sitting on a sideboard looking at them.

2. I admit, I stare mostly. I don't really do much playing other than sitting one near me when I'm busy or fussing over them while taking photographs.

3. I definitely like just looking at dolls, and pretty things in general!:)
      After all, if I like looking at photos of dolls online, it's only a step further to look at dolls in the flesh(resin)!;)

4. I have my dolls sitting on my book shelf, I can stare at them sitting there, or I like to have them sitting by me when I'm doing something else. My laptop is dreadful for processing photographs, so it's not often I do photostories, but I do like to change their clothes and I love knitting little hats and gloves for my dolls, so I usually have a BJD involved in a knitting project.

5. Hehehe... I'm 51 and I do both. I stare at them ALL the time but I move them around and futz with their hair and obsess over some little thing or other that I didn't do perfectly...

I don't think age has anything to do with it. It's a matter of personal preference! and no way to enjoy the expensive artwork playthings should be considered "right" or "wrong." IMHO ;)

6. I'm often forced to just look at it because of work/time constraints, but I do like to take it off its footstool/seat and hold it every once in a while.

It's strange - I feel like I should be playing with it in some way, but when you have only one of them, it seems kind of awkward (i.e., it can't pretend to have conversations, etc. with another BJD). The closest I come is posing it for photographs.

7. Well I stare at them....mostly :)

They sit next to me and I'm just glancing at them, then start to stare, then pet their hair. That's how I work^^

Sometimes I get the urge to play - the target is Peyton most of the time, I love posing him so much^^ I guess it's because he's the most stabile and the lightest of the three (and half). JD gets to lounge on my lap most times (Peyton is too small and I don't want to damage Ezra's hair/faceup). And Ezra gets most of the petting and the occasional sleeping-with me.

But I stare at them all :) When I have exams I have to keep their "room" closed or all I would do is staring instead of studying :sweat

8. I like to stare at my dolls, especially from the side. It feels sweet.
      I also like to put one on my lap when I'm web-surfing.
      Once I re-customize them, it'll last at least one week, so I think it's pretty common to just look and enjoy them without playing.

9. I stare at my girl ALL the time. Lol. She's sitting next to me right now. I don't play with her much now, and just have her sitting around next to me and stuff. But I'll eventually play with her. Once I get a better camera, take awesome pictures of her. Possibly take her out and about more.. But that's a maybe. XD

10. Why yes yes I do. In fact last night I rearranged my dolls on their trunk (that's where they hang out most of the time), then I sat down on the floor in front of them and just stared at all of them for like half an hour, taking in all their pretty little details.

Hehe, my brother (who is my roommate) came into the living room and saw me sitting there, still as a statue just staring at them and it totally creeped him out hahaha.

Bro: Holy sh*t wtf are you doing you scared the crap out of me!
      Me: They're so puuuuurdy! *squeeeee!*
      Bro: *mumbling to self about 'crazy-ass sister'*

ahh I love my brother

~Gio

11. My dolls are all in the livingroom on shelves & in cases so I can see them all the time. I love just staring at them. I like to surround myself with beautiful things & these dolls certainly qualify for that. Still, I do enjoy playing with them but there often isn't time for that so I simply look at them & enjoy their beauty.

12. i do a lot of staring, just looking at them and taking in their beauty. my louis sits on the sofa in a corner and i can always see him. when i walk by i often go and touch his wig, restyle it, or touch his hand. sometimes i get such a surge of happiness and i talk to him in dog language (like i talk to my dog) "good little houndy-boy!" :D
      he isn't wearing any shoes cause i love his feet too so sometimes i also hold his foot. :)

my four tinies are all on the same long desk that i work at (it goes all along the wall) and so i can look at them, or also take one or the other and pose them, or change their clothing.
      that's what i love about tines that it's so easy to pick them up.
      most of the time i stare though, get lost in thought.

13. yup!

sometimes i feel like doing something else so i put the doll in a sitting position or put it on it's stand and putting it next to the computer when im browsing the web.

14. I confess I don't really know how to play... and I know this because I have an 8 year old son, who occasionally tries to enlist me in make-believe games! I'm pretty lost unless there's some sort of script. I never was the "plays well with others" type though, so that may be the root of the problem. ^_~

So yeah. Aside from the occasional tweak, I pretty much just stare at my dolls.

Raven

15. i will have to second the 'don't really know how to play' line.

16. I consider myself a pretty "actively playing" doll owner: I pose them, photograph them, take them out with me, etc. But I still do love to just look! I like having them sitting on the desk next to my computer or on the table when I'm working on something in the kitchen, just anyplace where I can have a nice look at them without interrupting whatever else I'm doing. :) I don't think it's odd at all! Staring is just another way to appreciate the beauty of the dolls. It's the same as taking your time to really look at a painting.

17. I'll probably keep staring at my girl once she arrives. Already I keep finding myself staring at a picture of her face on her doll website. I can't imagine what will happen when I see her in person!

18. I love staring at my dolls as much as I love playing with them. I find it fun either way.

19. I think alot of people prefer staring at their dolls^^
      I, for my part, also do it, I just sit there and stare at her^^

20. I don't know what other people mean by playing, because I've never played doll games like, I don't know, "tea party," or "hospital,", or "mommy and daddy," or whatever little girls play. However, I do handle my dolls a lot, posing them for photos. Also I like to just sit a doll facing me on my lap and look in its face, letting my imagination run. It is, literally, a tool for me, because my dolls are illustrations of my characters, and visualizing them helps me with my writing.